9

Fool

“There’s a person…and he’s very confusing,” Selina's voice broke out, “he doesn’t like to show his feelings…maybe because he thinks it makes him look weak…”

“Do you like him?” Aaron asked.

Selina found herself thinking very hard and surprisingly laughed uncomfortably when she didn’t know what to say.

“Let me see your phone,” Aaron told holding out his hand.

Selina slowly took out her cell phone and gave it to him. She watched confused. Aaron seemed to be playing around with her phone. A moment later he handed it back to her.

“I don’t know if you were listening, but thanks for seeming like you were listening,” Aaron told and handed her phone back to her. “I have to go now. Bye bye.”

Selina watched as the strange man walked away. She remained seated for some period of time and her eyes started to open wider as if she just awoke.

“What did I just say?” Selina asked.

Before going on her phone rang and it was Danson telling her to go back.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Jiro sat down, laid around, tried to sleep, tried to find something to eat, tried to exercise, but at the end found out that he was not in the mood for anything. He walked and paced back and forth inside his house wondering if Selina was going to come. When the sky began to darken he dropped down onto the couch.

“I’m going to get you tomorrow,” he mumbled to himself.

The next day as he entered the classroom he first looked around, but didn’t see Selina or Danson around. Usually they would be seated in their desks. Gently biting his bottom lip Jiro took his seat and right after the teacher walked in Danson entered followed by Selina. Jiro eyed her the whole time and during lessons he wanted to throw paper airplanes and crunched up papers at her for ignoring him.

At the end of the day Jiro remained seated in his chair and watched as Selina walked pass his desk with Danson following behind. Jiro frowned at them and quickly jumped up from his desk dashing after them.

“Hey!” Jiro shouted as he rushed over to Selina.

He stopped in front of her making her come to a pause. Selina looked up at him with those lifeless eyes of hers.

“Why’d you skip yesterday’s lesson at my house?” Jiro questioned.

Selina blinked a few times, “You said not to come…”

“You’re stupid! You better report back there immediately,” Jiro scorned.

“I don’t think Selina wants to come in the first place,” Danson interrupted coming up right from behind Selina.

“I wasn’t talking to you,” Jiro waved for Danson to go away.

“Isn’t going out with Fei enough?” Danson questioned.

Jiro bit his bottom lip, “Nope, not enough yet. Come on, Sel.”

He grabbed Selina’s wrist without warning and pulled her after him. Danson found himself dumbstruck and began chasing them, but realized that they had already gone.

Jiro laughed to himself as he walked into his house. Selina, however, did not follow him inside. She stood by the steps outside staring at his back.

“You’re not angry, are you?” questioned Jiro turning around.

Selina stared at him feeling flustered inside. For once she was tired of Jiro trying to get Danson angry. Jiro pressed his lips together and walked toward her taking his time.

“Let me carry that for you then,” Jiro said taking her backpack from her.

Selina still watched him without moving.

“Follow,” Jiro called as he began to walk away.

Selina stared at his back and recalled stuffing her phone into her backpack. If Jiro were to do something stupid to her backpack then she’d be at a lost of replacing the phone. Selina quickly stepped forward and followed Jiro down the hall. When she entered the room she saw him  clutching onto her bag smiling with a kid smile. He was definitely up to something. Selina stood there staring back.

“How come you aren’t talking?” questioned Jiro.

Through Selina’s eyes he looked so cute and handsome, yet she still felt annoyed. Then she recalled shortly what she’d heard him telling Fei. Selina took a breath and stepped toward Jiro.

“Give it back,” Selina sternly ordered.

“Aww…come on,” Jiro whined. “First, tell me why you ignored me this morning.”

Selina stared up at him uncertain about how to take his dumb joke.

“Just give it,” Selina said reaching her hand up for it.

As she did Jiro gave a shout and tossed her bag across the room. Selina quickly turned to see Hebe walk in and unexpectedly her bag landed at Hebe’s feet with her cell phone sliding out of a pocket. Selina felt herself freeze slightly as her phone started to ring. She watched as Hebe grabbed her cell phone.

“Hello?” Hebe greeted. “Aaron? Hello? Hello?!” Hebe snapped the cell phone shut and looked straight at Selina. “He hung up! Who’s phone is this?”

Jiro walked toward Hebe and stared at the cell phone.

“It’s a couple phone,” Hebe told him, “Aaron has one just like it too. Aaron bought these same phones for us both.”

Jiro looked at Hebe and turned toward Selina. Remaining calm Selina walked over and took the phone from Hebe’s hand.

“It’s…I…” Selina began.

“Did you buy this with Aaron?” Jiro asked.

“No. I don’t even know him…I mean I don’t know how he got my number,” Selina went on trying to get everything straight.

Selina wasn’t sure of what to say or what to do to make them understand. She was confused of how Aaron had gotten her number and the air around was starting to tense up. From looking at Hebe, Selina could tell that she didn’t seem too happy for some reason. Jiro didn’t look happy either on the other hand.

“You know him?” Hebe questioned. “You met with him?”

“No, actually I just had a chat with him yesterday…” Selina went on.

“You didn’t buy the couple phone with him? Then with who?” Jiro asked without thinking.

Selina looked at Jiro and decided not to reply.

“You bought this with Danson?” questioned Jiro.

Selina averted her eyes.

“He won’t even answer my calls and he’s talking to a girl,” Hebe mumbled under her breath angrily and left through the doors.

Jiro stared down at Selina. He didn’t know why, but he felt like making Selina go through so much pain that she’d fall down onto her knees in front of him. Without a word Jiro hurried after Hebe. Selina turned to watch as he left through the doors then bent down to pick up her bag. All Selina really wondered now was how worse things could get.

“Get over here,” Jiro called before Selina could head for the door.

Deciding to make things easier and get it over with fast Selina obeyed and walked toward the huge living room to find Hebe’s arms crossed over her chest. She seemed very frustrated and angry. Jiro on the other hand seemed angrier. It made Selina wonder what the relationship between the two was.

“So, do you know Aaron?” questioned Hebe.

Selina decided that she would answer as best as she could, “Not really…”

“But you met him yesterday?” Hebe asked.

“Yes,” Selina replied.

“If you talked to him and you know his name, then you know him! Stop saying you don’t!” Hebe seemed as if she were shouting.

Selina remained silent and felt Jiro turn to her. Selina sort of gulped unsure of what to do next. Then suddenly Jiro grabbed her by the arm and led her out. Once they were midway in the hallway Jiro came to a stop and let go of her roughly.

“Call him,” Jiro demanded.

“What?” questioned Selina.

“Call Aaron and tell him to come here right now,” Jiro repeated.

Selina glanced at Jiro and turned away doing to do what had been asked of her. Once she was done she turned back to Jiro.

“He said he’s on his way,” Selina explained.

“Good, that jerk still knows the way,” Jiro whispered to himself.

“Wait, I don’t get it. What’s going on,” Selina asked with a slight worry in her tone.

Jiro rubbed his forehead, “Hebe and Aaron are getting married in a few weeks. They had an argument and split up along the way when they came here. Aaron’s been avoiding Hebe’s call and she’s been worried sick. That’s all.”

“Oh,” Selina managed.

Once again Selina found herself sitting in the living room now surrounded with silence. After what felt like two hours Selina could hear hurried footsteps in the hallway and the familiar Aaron appeared by the doorway. Hebe shot up from her seat and ran over to him. Selina expected a touching meeting, but instead Hebe harshly pushed Aaron.

“How could you?!” Hebe shouted.

“What are you talking about?” questioned Aaron lost.

Hebe turned toward Selina. Selina and Aaron quickly glanced at each other. Half understanding the situation Selina got up, but Jiro made it toward Aaron first.

“Don’t you dare think of cheating on Hebe! Just before your wedding banquet too! I’ll cut your throat, I swear!” Jiro threatened.

“Hey wait…” Aaron tried, but was cut off once more.

“How’d you get her number?” questioned Hebe. Aaron glanced toward Selina. “Don’t look at her, I’m talking to you!”

Aaron returned to Hebe, “I took her phone and put my number in. It’s easy to remember her number…”

“You what?” Hebe asked unable to believe what she was hearing. “I can’t believe this.”

Selina could feel Jiro’s angry glares and assumed he was angry because Aaron had gotten her number which had then caused Hebe to be upset.

Aaron sighed, “Look, I never thought of cheating on you, alright? I just didn’t want…”

“Hey, watch it!” Jiro cut in. “I never wanted to appear back in front of you two nor did the two of you want to see me. I don’t get why the two of you are using my house as a battle zone.”

“If you wouldn’t be so stubborn!” Hebe shouted at Jiro. “Just apologize to Aaron and he’ll forgive you. He’s never wronged you.”

Jiro turned away from Aaron.

“Hebe and Aaron are getting married. Hebe is clearly upset because Aaron is talking with another girl, which is me, and is mad because Jiro won’t apologize for something he’s done. So Aaron just wants an apology, so does Hebe, but what about Jiro? Should I just go in and say something?” Selina wondered to herself. “I don’t know, but I’m being pulled into this argument anyway…”

“What about you accusing my tutor?” Jiro questioned.

Hebe frowned, “Your tutor? Who told her to talk to Aaron first?”

“I talked to her first,” Aaron pointed out, “she looked lonely…”

“She looked lonely?” repeated Hebe. “Oh gosh…”

“Why are you always making Aaron the nice guy? Why don’t you ever take notice of me?” Jiro questioned.

“Oh, please, Jiro,” Hebe moaned.

“I mean it. You wanted to be friends, but you never take notice of me,” Jiro reminded then turned to Aaron. “I heard you didn’t want me at the wedding, right? Good, because I don’t want to go either.”

“Jiro!” Hebe shouted.

“Um…excuse me,” Selina quietly tried.

The three of them turned toward her and only Aaron’s expression seemed soft.

Selina smiled timidly and walked over slowly and gave a small bow towards Hebe, “If anyone’s to apologize, I will. I’m not good with technology and I still don’t understand how Aaron got my number. I’m sorry if I ruined the mood before your wedding, Hebe. I can tell Aaron was just as frustrated as you are and I know he’s feeling sorry as well.” Selina became silent and glanced at Jiro before turning to Aaron and bowed towards him. “I’ll apologize for Jiro since I know he won’t be willing to do it even if he wants to say it. Sorry. I don’t know what he’s done but I’ll still apologize on his behalf. I didn’t mean to interfere with anything, really.” Selina paused and everything was silent. It made everyone feel awkward. “Um… then, I hope you two reconcile. I’ll take my leave.”

Aaron watched as Selina headed down the hallway. Hebe glanced toward Aaron.

“She’s right and her apology for you will have to do,” Aaron agreed, “if you’re not going after her, I will.”

Aaron started to take a step forward, but Hebe clutched onto his arm pulling him back.

Noticing this, Jiro sighed heavily and walked after Selina. He found her halfway down the street.

“Sel!” Jiro called. “What about my homework?”

Selina stopped feeling her heart become heavy. She had never wanted to step in and apologize, but it was for the sake of a couple and it looked like it would never have ended. She could feel a strong headache starting to throb in her head.

Selina turned around, “Bye.”

Jiro watched as Selina continued walking slowly away then called out to her once more, “Hey, Sel! Thank you!”

But as he called her cell phone rang and he guessed she didn’t really hear him. Jiro watched as Selina turned around the corner.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

When Selina returned, she entered her room and sat on the small sofa they had provided her with. Selina leaned onto the arm rest and closed her eyes. For some reason she just felt so tired.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

“Sorry,” Hebe apologized.

“I think it’d be better if you apologized to that girl,” Aaron responded.

Hebe looked up into Aaron’s eyes, “It should be common sense that your to be wife would be jealous if you start talking to other woman.”

Aaron stared down at Hebe without speaking.

“Ok,” Hebe gave in, “I’ll apologize when I see her again, but you know it isn’t so bad inviting Jiro to our wedding, is it? I mean, I’m not stupid, I know he probably isn’t over the breakup yet, but still I’d like to see him there, ok?”

Aaron sighed, “Ok, ok. Do whatever you like.”

“What?” Hebe asked looking up into Aaron’s face.

“I think that girl has something for Jiro,” Aaron said then smiled down at Hebe.

“What’s with that? How would you know?” questioned Hebe.

“I’m the love expert,” Aaron smiled again and gave Hebe a peck on the cheek.

Jiro gave out a loud moan as he flopped down onto the couch. Jiro covered his face with his hands as he laid down.

“Are you two done making up yet?” he questioned.

Aaron glanced over at Jiro, “I think you should thank Selina. She was really generous to apologize in your place.” Jiro remained silent. “Anyhow, you’re invited to the wedding. You’ll be one of our anticipated guests.”

“Then we’ll make a move,” Hebe said, “sorry for troubling you…you’ll come to our wedding, won’t you?”

Jiro moaned in reply.

Hebe smiled, “Maybe you can bring a date too.”

With that Jiro listened as Hebe and Aaron left. Jiro opened his eyes.

“Well, I didn’t ask her to apologize,” Jiro went on, “besides. what’s with making herself the center of attention anyway? That greedy Sel.”

Jiro removed his hand and stared up at the ceiling.

“I’ll find her tomorrow or something,” Jiro sat up and stretched his arms out, “I’m so hungry!”

The next day after breakfast and just before lunch Jiro thought hard about how to find Selina without making it seem so obvious that he was showing his appreciation for her. Before he began thinking of another plan his legs were already walking toward the Tang household. Jiro stopped in front of the house and checked out the front yard. He found himself standing in front of the door clearing his throat a couple of times then finally pressed the bell. The door opened and Fei appeared with a deep smile.

“You wanted to visit? But I’m not dressed properly,” Fei sulked.

Jiro stared at her forgetting that Fei lived with them too. Jiro cleared his throat again and laughed uncomfortably.

“Oh…right,” Jiro said, “um…want to go out then?”

“Really?” Fei asked as she jumped happily. “Wait for me!”

“Um…wait,” Jiro said calling her back, “is Selina in?”

“Why would you worry about her now?” Fei questioned in an annoyed tone.

Jiro laughed, “I was just wondering. She didn’t tutor me the other day.”

Fei glanced at him, “She came home with a migraine and got Danson all worried about her.”

“A migraine?” repeated Jiro.

Fei shot Jiro an impatient expression, “Selina went out, I don’t know where to. Danson’s at his part time job. Happy now?”

With that Jiro watched as Fei left to get changed. Jiro confused himself over thinking of how Selina would have gotten a headache in the first place.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina glanced around at all the stalls people had set up. She walked silently from place to place in order to keep her mind clear. Danson had advised her to get some fresh air. She had felt sorry for him when he had stayed awake with her the whole night just to keep her some company when he still had to work in the morning the next day. Selina rounded the next corner and headed toward the next busy street.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Jiro tailed after Fei bored. She jumped up and down whenever she saw something exciting or when she saw something she liked. The thing that bothered Jiro most was she just couldn’t stop chatting. Jiro came to a pause behind her when she met up with some friends from school. He glanced around and across the street he saw Selina passing by. He glanced at Fei debating whether he should stay with her or run off. Deciding to go with plan b Jiro slowly stepped away from Fei and dashed down the sidewalk quickly.

“And Jiro came…” Fei said pointing to Jiro who she thought was behind him.

“Where is he?” a girl asked.

Fei turned around confused, “He was here a moment ago. Jiro! Jiro!”

Fei glanced around and excused herself walking away from her friends.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Jiro headed toward the crosswalk, but to his luck the streetlight turned red. Jiro stopped and waited patiently as he kept his eye on Selina who was lingering around on the other side.

“You just wait…you better stay there,” Jiro mumbled under his breath.

Just as the lights turned green and Jiro made his way across the crosswalk Selina crossed the street to another block. Jiro walked faster trying to catch up to her, but unexpectedly a crowd of strangers crossed in front of him pushing him farther away. When Jiro made his way through the crowd he found Selina staring into a window display.

“Selina! Selina!” Jiro shouted, but she didn’t seem to hear.

Jiro watched as Selina turned around and glanced over. Jiro smiled and waved his arms for her to see, but Selina seemed to miss him and turned right back around walking away. Jiro bit his lip and hurried to cross the street to catch her, but ran into an old woman carrying a bunch of shopping bags.

“How rude you are!” the old woman scolded and continued lecturing Jiro as he picked up her shopping bags for her.

Jiro looked up every second apologizing and making sure Selina was still in sight. Too bad when he handed the woman her bags Selina had already disappeared. Jiro sighed and kicked the ground. He walked around here and there, but didn’t spot Selina anywhere. He headed toward the business square where he recalled he had searched for her the night she went missing. He sighed sticking his hands in his pockets and looked up. Across from him was Selina sitting down on a staircase.

“Got you,” Jiro mumbled and took a step forward, but a figure appeared in front of him.

“Where did you go?” questioned Fei. “I was so embarrassed when you left all of a sudden. I wanted to cry!”

Jiro stared down at her and smiled, “Oh sorry. I had to use the bathroom so I left without telling you first.”

Fei stared at him, “You could have said something. Now I’m hungry lets go eat.”

Fei linked her arm into his and led him away.

“But…but…” Jiro went on unsuccessfully.

He spent the rest of the day carrying Fei’s shopping bags and following her from shop to shop.

“So how is it having Sel live with you guys?” Jiro questioned to break the silence.

“Oh, I hate her,” Fei told, “she clings onto Danson all the time! I keep telling him not to care about her, but he never listens to me, you know?”

“Uh huh,” Jiro mumbled figuring it was actually the other way around.

“Who cares anymore I think they’re already going out,” Fei went on, “besides they were play mates. I find it funny how Selina is keeping her promise.”

“Play mates? What promise?” asked Jiro hurrying to Fei’s side.

“I think they had big crushes on each other or something. Danson still has letters they wrote to each other,” Fei laughed, “Selina promised that when she comes back she’ll love him forever. Silly right?”

After leaving a last shop Jiro stared at the sky. It was getting dark.

“You’ll come back again, won’t you?” questioned Fei as they stopped at her doorstep. “And how did you know where I live?”

“I have my ways,” Jiro answered.

Fei smiled, “Alright.”

She stood there staring at Jiro as if she were waiting for something.

“Something the matter?” questioned Jiro.

“Aren’t you going to give me a kiss?” asked Fei.

Jiro stared at her silently then laughed, “Just go in.”

He pushed Fei into the house and closed the door after saying bye. He sighed and moaned as he rubbed his head then headed toward the street. Jiro stopped suddenly and leaned against the huge wall surrounding their house. Jiro glanced left and right to see if Selina was already on her way back yet, but both ways were empty. He was left with nothing to do. Soon he recalled Selina’s words telling him of a boy she’d liked a lot. Could that boy possibly be Danson? It probably was Danson. Jiro then figured that Selina had forgotten everything after moving away. Jiro found himself standing there for an hour and a half when Selina finally appeared.

“Hey,” Jiro said in a tone he took as cool, “where are you coming from?”

Selina stopped and looked at him, “Were you visiting Fei?”

Jiro frowned, “Were you watching us or something?”

“It was just a guess,” Selina replied then started toward the house.

Jiro quickly glanced around once more and hurried toward Selina. He took her by the arm and led her away quickly. He finally came to a stop a few blocks later and dropped Selina’s arm. Jiro stood in front of her silently as he rubbed his forehead and kicked the ground. Selina stared at him wondering what was wrong.

“I have stuff to do too, you know,” Selina said before her phone started to ring.

As she reached for her phone Jiro pushed her hand away, “Don’t answer it.”

Selina’s eyes slowly made its way to Jiro’s tired face.

“Hey, look, it’s my birthday on Monday and I’ve only recalled spending it with Joanne…” Jiro began and finished if off quickly, “I…you should feel honored because I’m letting only you spend that day with me.”

Selina’s phone had not yet stopped ringing. She stared at Jiro half not believing what she was hearing.

“Don’t think anything, ok?” Jiro shyly warned. “Just take it as I’m thanking you for apologizing for me. You know, even Aaron bashed me up for letting you do that. Anyway, I’ll be at the amusement park right after school waiting. If you don’t show up, you’ll be sorry.”

Selina watched as Jiro quickly walked away. Secretly, she smiled and turned away heading back to the Tang house. Though Jiro tried to act cool and tried to make it not seem like anything special, but Selina could easily tell he was nervous and embarrassed by pushing those words out. When Selina got back to the house Danson was pacing back and forth still in his work uniform.