13

Fool

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

After dinner with Danson avoiding her, Selina found him in the basement sitting by the computer. Lightly gulping, Selina slowly walked over.

“How was work?” asked Selina playing with her hands since she was nervous.

“It was ok,” Danson replied without looking at her.

Selina looked down at the ground feeling that it was useless even talking to him. She bit her lip and looked at Danson.

“Why are you acting like this though?” Selina asked. “It feels weird with you like this.”

Danson didn’t reply, but scrolled down the page he was visiting.

Selina took a breath again, “Just say something.”

Danson turned around looking annoyed, “It was too sudden for you, wasn’t it? But for me…I’ve been waiting forever to say those words. They may mean nothing to you, but telling me that we can still consider other people around us…it’s like a line of straight rejection, Selina. You say you’re going to think about it, but are you? I felt tension, yes, that’s why I said it so suddenly. But you don’t know…there are other people around who like you too. I feel afraid and scared. I keep thinking if I don’t say those words before them then I’ll lose my chance. Don’t you know how it feels?”

“But I…” Selina tried to go on, but Danson stopped her.

“Can’t you feel my words? Just for once, can’t you try feeling my words?” asked Danson.

Selina felt herself come to a stop.

“He doesn’t understand…” Selina thought to herself.

Selina found herself turning around and walking away. When she went up the stairs she thought she heard Fei crying in the bathroom.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Danson and Selina had not spoken a word to each other the next day. Danson felt the urge to say something but he didn’t know what was right to say. Selina had also wanted to apologize but didn’t know how to start a conversation. After school she let Danson walk off without her. Selina slowly roamed the hallways in school and came to a stop when she heard chattering up ahead. To her luck it was Fei and Lin.

“Where are you going?” Fei questioned.

“Aren’t you going home with Danson?” questioned Selina.

Lin laughed, “Why would she go home when she wants to deal with the dumb girl who stole her man?”

“What?” Selina asked.

“You heard me,” Fei said stepping toward Selina.

“I don’t know. What are you talking about?” Selina questioned confused and lost.

“Jiro broke up with me because of you. You told him to do it, didn’t you?” Fei accused. “Isn’t Danson enough for you? You have to go after Jiro too?”

“Jiro?” Selina repeated.

Fei laughed, “Don’t act innocent. You think I can’t see it in your eyes.”

Selina rolled her eyes and smiled, “What? Because you can’t hold onto a guy you’re going to blame me for every guy out there that breaks up with you? Don’t you think you’re too childish? Why are you always finding fault with me? I don’t want to deal with you either so tell me what do you want from me?”

Within a flash Selina found Fei’s hand slamming her across the cheek. Before Selina could do anything Lin pushed her to the ground. Selina took an angry breath and looked up to see Fei pulling her up by her shirt.

“You underestimate me, Selina Ren,” Fei hissed. “I just hate you. You’re just stealing everything away. My parents focus more on you than ever. Even Danson doesn’t take me seriously anymore. He’s my brother, but he cares more about his stupid playmate. You’re not in the position to curse me.”

“Get it straight. I didn’t curse you,” Selina fought back. “And yea. Jiro’s told me before, he never liked you. Your attitude and Jiro…it doesn’t match.”

Fei’s eyes turned fiery and she slapped Selina again. This time Selina felt Fei’s long nails dig into her skin. Without being aware Selina felt someone pull her arm.

“Aren’t you being too much?” questioned Jiro.

Fei stared at him with unbelievable eyes, “What are you doing?”

“Leave Sel alone. She’s got nothing to do with this. I broke up with you because I don’t like you,” Jiro said again.

Fei bit her lip furiously.

“Before you touch my tutor again, please upgrade your level of knowledge,” Jiro protested.

Fei rolled her eyes and brushed passed them angrily with Lin following her. Selina watched as they disappeared and finally realized that Jiro had his arm around her. Selina quickly turned away from his gaze and pulled herself away. Selina was silent for a moment feeling quite embarrassed for some reason.

“Come on. Lets go,” Jiro ushered walking ahead.

“Ow,” Selina moaned as Jiro tried putting some medicine onto the scratches Fei had left on her.

They were now at his place. For some reason, she really had followed him.

“Sorry, but it’s got to hurt, you know,” Jiro said.

Selina made a face, “I didn’t know you broke up with Fei.”

Jiro didn’t respond to her statement, “Ok. I’m done.”

Selina sighed as she felt the area around her injury.

“I have tough skin, don’t I?” Selina joked.

Jiro laughed, “Yea, three inch deep.”

Selina smiled then became quiet.

“What?” Jiro asked. “A girl shouldn’t hide her feelings.”

Selina remained silent then finally spoke up, “Should I be disappointed in myself?”

“Why would you be disappointed in yourself?” Jiro asked.

“I can’t seem to find an answer. I’m lost and confused, but he seems to be in such a hurry rushing everything. I understand, too, because he’s waited so long,” Selina sympathized.

Jiro realized where she was taking the conversation.

“Am I being selfish by refusing his feelings? He thinks that he’s the only one feeling tension, but he’s giving me tension too. I’ve thought about his words, I really did. He doesn’t understand. If I can’t feel anything now and if he can just give me some time then maybe I can consider everything again.” Selina told as she felt strange tears well up. “I don’t know…I just feel so lost and disappointed.”

As she turned toward Jiro he found himself moving nearer. In an instant he gave her a peck on the lips. Selina’s eyes went wide in surprise. She felt warmth and calm as he gave her another long kiss then suddenly pushed him back feeling shocked to the core. As she pushed him away Selina realized she was actually pushing herself away since Jiro was too big for her to move. Selina gave a small shriek as she fell off the couch.

“Are you ok?” Jiro questioned surprised while helping her up.

“That was quite stupid,” Selina remarked getting up.

Once Selina and Jiro looked at each other they found themselves laughing nervously.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

“That was stupid,” Selina repeated to herself. “Falling off the ouch like that. I’m so embarrassed!”

Still, Selina couldn’t help, but smile as she touched her lips.

“Don’t get too ahead of yourself, Selina,” she reminded herself, “Jiro doesn’t like you. He doesn’t like anybody.”

Selina turned over on her bed and stared up at the ceiling. She found herself giggling again and quickly shot up as her bedroom door opened.

“Can I talk to you?” it was Danson.

Selina found herself following Danson outside. It was dark and the stars were twinkling out.

“Did you get in a fight after school or something?” questioned Danson. “But it looks like you already put medicine on. So how was your day?”

Selina smiled nervously and lightly touched her cheek.

“Yea, I tutored after school,” Selina replied.

Danson nodded, “Aren’t you going to ask me about my day?”

“Oh,” Selina said feeling the atmosphere become awkward, “yea...so how was work? Was it tiring?”

“No, it wasn’t, so I had a lot of time to think,” Danson replied.

Selina nodded her head and looked at the ground, “So what was it you were thinking about?”

“I pushed you, didn’t I?” questioned Danson apologetically. “Sorry. I didn’t really know what I was doing.”

“Oh,” Selina quietly muttered not catching what Danson had meant.

“I mean, I’ve been mean, right?” 

“It’s not totally your fault,” Selina tried quickly turning toward Danson, “but I did think about it. I really did, it’s just my mind always came to a blank so I couldn’t come up with an answer. But if you give me time, then it’d be possible for me to decide.”

Danson smiled, “You didn’t have to apologize so fast.”

Selina smiled, “You won’t be mad anymore?”

“I never liked pressuring others until I finally realized I was doing it to you,” Danson smiled. “Take your time then.”

“Whew!” Selina laughed. “You know I was feeling quite bad these few days.”

Selina looked at Danson again and couldn’t help but laugh finally feeling better.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina stared at her watch again as she took a seat on the stairs. Then suddenly there were loud footsteps behind her. She felt someone hit her lightly on the back of her head.

“Ow!” she shouted as she turned around. “What took you so long? You told me you’d be here in ten minutes.”

Jiro smiled as he sat down beside her, “My bad.”

Selina slightly shot him a glare, “What did you ask me out on a Friday night for?”

Jiro nervously smiled again, “I’m thinking it over if I want to tell you or not.”

Selina frowned, “Then why did you ask me to come out?”

“Um…that is,” Jiro said trying to fix his words together, “forget it.”

Selina frowned, “I’m getting annoyed. Quickly say it.”

As Selina turned away Jiro pulled out Aaron and Hebe’s invitation card. He stared at it wondering if he should really take Selina along. Biting his bottom lip he held it out to her so it was in front of her face.

“What’s this?” Selina asked looking at Jiro.

“Would you look at the card first?” questioned Jiro and quickly turned away as Selina took the card.

“What’s this about?” asked Selina. “Why are you giving me their invitation card?”

Jiro frowned at her and grabbed the card back, “Never mind then.”

“Shouldn’t you take Fei instead?” questioned Selina.

Jiro stopped in his tracks figuring Selina did know that he wanted her to go with him.

“But…but they want you to go with me instead,” Jiro replied slowly.

“Why?” asked Selina.

“They just want you there. Why do you have to ask so many questions? Even a simpleton would already know,” Jiro spouted.

“So when is it?” asked Selina.

Jiro smiled and quickly ran toward her, “Tomorrow evening at 5. I’ll come pick you up, ok?”

“Whoa! Then why are you telling me at the last minute? I don’t have anything good to wear,” Selina's mouth dropped exasperated.

“I never thought of that,” Jiro scratched the back of his head, “I’ll think of something. Remember tomorrow at 5. I’ll come pick you up.”

With that Jiro ran off before Selina could say anything. Selina returned home closing the door behind her. No matter what, she’d have to ask for permission first.

“Are you asleep?” Selina asked opening Danson’s door.

He turned around. He was sitting on the ground.

“What’s up?” Danson asked twisting around to look at her.

Selina slowly tip toed in and closed the door behind her. Being in a secluded room with Danson seemed alright with her since Selina never thought much of it. Though if she were in a room with some other guy then it’d be a whole different story then.

“Um…tomorrow, if I go somewhere, would it be alright?” asked Selina.

Danson raised one of his eye brows, “Where’s somewhere?”

“Um…some friend’s wedding banquet,” Selina replied. “It’s alright, right?”

“Sure, but you don’t need to ask.” 

Selina laughed foolishly, “Well...just in case.”

“But I was hoping we could spend the day together. Since it’s my birthday,” Danson softly added.

Selina’s eyes opened widely in surprise, “Your birthday? How come you never told me?”

“It’s alright. Find me in the secret place before you go, ok?” Danson said.

Selina nodded and left the room. Selina muttered a sigh as she walked over to her bed.

“What bad timing,” Selina told herself then wondered, “why would they invite me anyway? I barely know them.”

The next morning Selina was in the kitchen with Danson making a cake from scratch. The kitchen was almost covered in flour, but the cake had made it safely into the oven.

“What are you guys doing?” asked Fei suddenly appearing.

“We’re making a cake. Do you want to help?” Danson asked.

Selina watched as Fei shot her a glare.

“Not if she’s here,” Fei remarked.

“Hey,” Danson warned.

Fei rolled her eyes, “Obviously you’d choose Selina over me anyway.”

“Don’t speak to Danson like that,” Selina spoke up.

“So what?” Fei retorted.

“Don’t be unreasonable,” Selina told.

Fei rolled her eyes, “Happy birthday Danson.”

With that Fei walked off.

“Do you have a temper?” asked Selina.

“You’ve seen it, haven’t you?” asked Danson pouring some flour onto Selina.

“Hey!” Selina shouted turning around, but found Danson was no longer standing behind her. She turned around to see Danson already heading out onto the patio.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Jiro stopped as he got into his car. What would he do if he met Fei? Worse than that he forgot all about Danson. Jiro made a face and sighed.

“I should have gotten her number,” Jiro groaned.

He came to a slow stop as he parked the car by the Tang house. Jiro sighed getting out from the car and walked toward the house reminding himself over and over to be cool. He came to a stop standing in front of the door. Gulping he pressed the doorbell and to his relief Selina answered the door.

“Just give me a moment,” Selina told and turned around but turned back, “do you want to come in?”

Jiro stood in the kitchen staring at the half cleaned up mess.

“What did you do in here?” Jiro questioned.

“We were making a cake,” Selina answered quickly without thinking.

“You and who?” asked Jiro.

Selina laughed nervously, “Danson and I. I didn’t know today was his birthday.”

“Oh…then you don’t have to go if you don’t want to,” Jiro said feeling relieved.

“Don’t worry. I’ll be back in a minute,” Selina assured and headed out to the backyard.

Jiro watched her frowning to himself then followed her out. As he stepped onto the grass he watched Selina make her way through the bushes.

“Where’s she going?” he wondered and followed.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

“Hey, I’ll be going now,” Selina told stepping inside the small shed.

“It’s decent,” Danson turned. “Have a bite.”

Selina stared at the piece of cake he was shoving toward her.

“I’m fine,” Selina waved her hand repeatedly.

“Just have a taste,” Danson urged.

“Ok,” Selina gave in and opened . Selina quickly nodded her head after swallowing it down. “It’s really good. We should become cooks someday.”

Danson laughed, “You’re going now? Do you want me to take you?”

“No!” Selina suddenly shouted then noticed the look on Danson’s face. “I mean…it’s alright.”

“Then, I’ll walk you out,” Danson offered.

“No need for that either,” Selina said putting her hands out to stop him, “I’ll be fine.”

“Are you sure? You’re acting weird just now,” Danson frowned a bit.

Selina laughed nervously, “Since when haven’t I been fine?”

Danson gave her an unsure expression.

Selina bit her bottom lip and quickly gave Danson a peck on the cheek, “Happy birthday.”

Danson smiled at her, “Thanks.”

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Jiro turned away from the window not knowing how he was feeling at the moment. He made his way back to the house, but stopped when he noticed Fei standing in the kitchen. She stared back at him seeming both angry and sad. Without saying anything Fei turned around and walked away.

“What are you doing?” asked Selina stepping into the kitchen.

“Uh…nothing,” Jiro replied. “Lets go.”

Throughout the car ride Jiro couldn’t bring himself to say anything. Nonetheless the only thing that occupied his mind was Selina kissing Danson. Were they already that far into a relationship? Couldn’t be. Jiro stopped his car in front of a large building.

“What are we doing?” asked Selina. “Why’d you stop?”

“This building belongs to one of my uncles,” Jiro replied, “you’re getting a makeover. Can’t you tell by the time? I fetched you an hour early.”

“Will that be enough time?” Selina questioned following Jiro inside.

“A simpleton like you shouldn’t be too hard to transform,” Jiro told confidently.

Selina made a face at him, “You didn’t need to give me those kinds of stinky comments.”

“Can’t you tell how I’m feeling?” Jiro questioned silently. “I want you to look better than every girl there tonight.”

“Find her a dress first,” Jiro ordered when they stepped in.

Selina found herself trying on all types of dresses and finally stopped after Jiro approved of one. After trying on dresses Jiro took her to find a pair of heels. Selina got her hair done and then Jiro had a woman put make up onto Selina’s face. After they left the building Jiro took her to buy some jewelry.

Selina quickly shook her head no, “It’s fine. I’ll be fine without them.”

Jiro quickly turned Selina around and put the necklace around her neck, “It’s just for one night. You won’t die of it, will you?”

Jiro parked his car into the parking lot and walked Selina out to the reserved hotel where Hebe and Aaron were having their banquet.

A lot of important people were around. Many were already talking and greeting each other holding champagne glasses in their hands. Most women were dressed formally with much jewelry attached to them and each one seemed to be accompanied with a date. There were rows and rows of tables piled with food. An orchestra was also up by the stage performing a claming piece of music to entertain guests.

“There are a lot of people,” Selina commented.

“Are you nervous?” questioned Jiro.

Selina smiled nervously looking around. She hadn’t been in these kinds of places since she was small. Selina became surprised when Jiro took her hand.

“We won’t get lost this way,” Jiro told.

Selina didn’t reply as Jiro gently led her through the crowd.

“Jiro! Selina!” someone shouted.

The two of them quickly turned to see Hebe rushing toward them dragging Aaron behind her.

“You made it.” Hebe heaved a wide smile. “Thanks for coming.”

“Is everything to your liking here?” asked Aaron.

“Just great,” Jiro said laughing in an uncomfortable way, “there are a lot of people.”

“Thanks to Aaron’s mom,” Hebe said sort of rolling her eyes.

“It’s not like I planned it this way either, ok?” Aaron turned to her. It looked like they were going to argue again. Aaron turned back to Selina and smiled. “So Jiro brought you along.”

Selina smiled, “Uh…yea.”

“Are you two having a good time yet?” asked Hebe. “Not to say both of you look great tonight.”

Selina hesitantly turned to look at Jiro still unclear about being Jiro’s date.

“We’re going to be having dances later on. Stay here till then, ok?” Hebe asked.

“Well, we just got here so we won’t be leaving too early,” Jiro promised.

“Wait, how long is this banquet?” Selina suddenly worried.

“Midnight.” Hebe replied.

Selina raised her eye brows in surprised, “Excuse me.”

Selina turned around and headed out of the building.

“Is something wrong?” Hebe asked turning to Jiro.

“Just wait a moment,” Jiro said and followed Selina out.

When Jiro got out of the building he couldn’t find Selina anywhere. He looked for her by the yard with animal shaped bushes and hurried back the way they had come in. There he found Selina sitting on the steps talking on her hand phone.

“Hey,” Jiro said as he started down the steps.

Selina looked up and turned around, “Alright then, bye bye.”

Jiro came to sit down next to her, “Who was that?”

“Who else would it be?” asked Selina.

“Why’d you call him?” Jiro asked.

“What if he worries?” Selina wondered.

Jiro reached his arm over.

“What are you doing?” Selina stammered.

Jiro sighed and grabbed her phone, “Turning it off. We don’t need any interruptions. Just have fun tonight.”

Selina made a face and grabbed her phone back from him, “I’ll do it myself then.”

Jiro watched her and laughed as he took her phone and put it into his pocket.

“I’m not going in,” Selina said.

Jiro quickly turned toward Selina, “What’s the problem now?”

“I thought they invited me, but just now do I understand they wanted you to drag me along,” Selina finally understood. “I am not going to be your date, Jiro Wang.”

Jiro’s mouth dropped open, “Who ever said that?”

Selina returned him a serious look.

“That’s certainly not a statue’s glare anymore,” Jiro mumbled then loudly said, “alright, I admit it. I am crazy. I asked you because they and I wanted you to be my date.”

“What?” Selina asked, her face contorting.

“You heard me,” Jiro twisted his face to the side.

“I’m not going to dance with you,” Selina refused, though inside she felt like melting.

The things he was saying lately seemed more like fantasy than reality. However Selina did not want to be captivated by his words. In the end she knew she’d just end up hurt.

“You took it as a joke when I told you before and it hurt. Especially, when you always talk about Danson to me,” Jiro went on.

“Shut up,” Selina snapped.

“I like you,” Jiro confessed. “This is the second time I’m saying it.”

“I said shut up,” Selina repeated trying to get up, but Jiro took a hold of her.

“Don’t look or go anywhere else,” Jiro commanded. “I rarely get any time alone with you anymore.”

Selina’s face turned into a hard frown and when she tried to turn away Jiro quickly pressed his lips against hers hoping it would stop her from wanting to leave. Still Selina pushed him away and got up.

“This is why Fei hates me!” Selina grumbled and stomped off.

Selina made her way back without looking where she was going and bumped into a person.

“Sorry,” she quickly apologized and continued walking.

“Selina?” the man asked.

Selina stopped and turned around to look at the person.

“Calvin?” Selina asked. “Oh my god! Why are you here?”

“Aaron’s a friend of mine,” Calvin explained. “Who’d you come with?”

Selina made a face, “This jerk I know.”

“Lets go inside,” Calvin said extending his hand out.

Selina glanced at his hand then smiled taking it. As she headed inside with Calvin Jiro ran up the steps.

“That girl,” he mumbled and hurried inside after her.