3

Fool

“Bye Selina,” Danson bid his farewell before entering the car that would take them to school.

Selina waved after him and for the rest of the day she sat around bored. Once, she had gone to Danson’s hiding spot but made her way back to the house for lunch.

She was the only one in the house. When Fei and Danson returned Selina could hear Fei’s loud voice.

“And then Cai was being such a class clown today…” Fei stopped when she saw Selina standing in the living room.

“Hey, Selina do you want to go to the library with me?” Danson questioned.

Fei turned to glare at his brother, “You can’t! You were going to take me to Xiao Mei’s house! Danson, you promised!”

Danson laughed cheerfully, “I never promised.”

Fei’s glared turned into a deep angry frown, “Selina has to go buy pens for me so you take me to Xiao Mei’s.”

“What? Selina doesn’t know her way around. Stop lying Fei,” Danson said becoming serious.

Selina left the room still hearing Fei’s loud voice. She returned with a sweater on.

“I’ll get the pens for you,” Selina offered.

“Are you sure? You might get lost, I can go with you,” Danson suggested.

Fei tugged onto his sleeve.

“I’ll find my way back,” Selina replied.

“See! If she gets lost the police can find her,” Fei stubbornly added and that was all Selina heard before making her way out.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Jiro glanced around the busy streets of Taipei.

“It’s so boring at home. Some fresh air is better,” Jiro told himself.

He had gone from walking around the street shops to eating and returning to the street shops. He had grabbed a hot bun to eat along the way to warm himself up. The sky looked as if it was going to rain again and it was getting windier. He stopped to wait for traffic to slow down before crossing the street. While he waited, he noticed a familiar figure up ahead. After staring for a while he realized it was Selina. She was walking around as if looking for something.

“What’s that girl doing here in Taipei?” he asked himself.

Once the street lights had signaled for pedestrians to start crossing Jiro joined the crowd. Curiously he glanced around once more to see that Selina was still searching around. Still on the verge of wanting to see her ticked off he stood behind her silently. He bent over slightly so that his face was at the back of her head.

“Stay still or I’ll shoot,” he said in a threatening voice.

Selina who had been bending forward to stare into the window straightened up and hit Jiro in the nose. He gave a loud shout and jumped back causing passerbys to stare. Selina kept her eyes on him for a bit and finally recognized him.

“Oh! Jiro!” she said with a slight surprise in her tone. “What are you doing here?”

“What am I doing here? What are you doing here?” Jiro asked as he rubbed his nose. “Don’t ever head me ever again.”

“I didn’t head you.” Selina pointed out.

Jiro slightly glared at her, “Oh shut up will you?! What the heck are you doing here in Taipei?”

“Yea, I almost forgot!” Selina remembered. “I was searching for a store to buy pens.”

“You come all the way here just to buy pens?” Jiro questioned frowning.

“I’m staying with some relatives,” Selina explained. “Do you know any store that sell good pens?”

Jiro bit his tongue and turned around leading her to the store across the street. After walking out of the store Jiro had stuck his hands into his pockets.

“If you’re staying here, does that mean you’re going to the school here?” asked Jiro.

Selina nodded and stopped in her tracks.

“What now?” Jiro questioned.

“I’m hungry,” replied Selina eyeing the bun he was still eating.

Jiro rolled his eyes and minutes later found himself sitting on a bench while watching Selina eat her bun. He watched her attentively as if studying a new species.

“What happened to your parents? They too poor now to send you to school or what?” Jiro asked carelessly.

Selina almost choked on what she was chewing, but managed not to. She became silent as she forced herself to continue chewing.

‘I once thought I was able to avoid the truth. For just once I needed to pretend.’

Selina turned to Jiro and smiled feeling all her pain squeeze her inside.

“Forget it,” Jiro told then started to mumble to himself. “Maybe I should start going back…”

“Going back where?” asked Selina as she swallowed the last of her bun.

Jiro turned to smile at her then leaned forward causing her to lean back, “School of course.”

“You don’t go there?” asked Selina. “No wonder you have no knowledge really…”

“I’m out of here!” Jiro jumped onto his feet and started to walk away.

Selina stared after him and glanced at her watch.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

“Fei, if you needed pens you could have told me. I would have bought them after work!” Uncle Tang scolded angrily pacing back and forth in the living room, hands held behind his back.

Fei sat on the sofa, legs and arms crossed.

“I don’t see the big deal. She’s just a small town girl.” Fei told rolling her eyes.

“Start acting your age, Fei. What if Selina is really lost?” questioned Aunt Tang. “What are we going to do?”

Danson was quiet while he stared out of the window.

“Selina’s back!” Danson said jumping off the sofa.

Everyone raced toward the door except for Fei.

“Selina!” they all shouted.

Selina stopped and looked toward the steps to see the three of them rushing at her.

“Is something wrong?” Selina asked.

“How’d you get home?” Uncle Tang asked.

“I’m glad you’re safe!” Aunt Tang sighed.

“I asked someone for directions…” Selina told then became silent when she felt her uncle’s firm hand on her shoulder.

“You don’t know Taipei so don’t go out without Danson or one of us, ok?” his soft voice said.

Selina nodded staring at them blankly and half surprised that they were so worried.

“Lets go inside and eat dinner.” He smiled and walked away.

Selina watched after them with a new unexplainable feeling flowing inside her.

“Dad was really worried.” Danson went on then laughed a little. “I was worried myself. Come on, you must be hungry.”

Selina could only nod and followed him. That night, Selina lay in bed running her mind over that day’s events.

“This is indeed a different family,” Selina said smiling to herself then stopped.

Flipping onto her stomach she turned her ears to the silence. “Jiro lives in Taipei. Must be coincidence after all.”

After a good breakfast Selina had gotten in the car that was assigned to take them to school. As usual Selina could feel Fei’s hating eyes glance at her every so often, but as tolerant as Selina was she didn’t care. She glanced at the smiling Danson beside her. He seemed so carefree and to her the nicest person out of the family, but Selina learned not to judge a person without knowing them well.

The car stopped and Selina got out after Danson.

“Fei, what took you so long?!” questioned a girl as she ran toward her loudly. “Come on! He’s back!”

Fei seemed to stare back at the girl lost and then caught on seconds later. Her eyes came big and she smiled broadly.

“Lets go!” shouted Fei and they disappeared through the crowd of students.

“My father already talked with the teacher and principal about you. We’ll be in the same class,” Danson explained and went through some of the school rules while they walked passed a bunch of girls crowded around something.

Selina glanced at them slightly and turned away as they headed into the building.

Selina stood with the teacher at the front of the classroom and they engaged into a small conversation as students made their way in. When the bell rang Mr. Zhen began with a greeting and before he could introduce Selina the door slammed open and Jiro stood in the doorway.

“Oh…Mr. Wang you’re back,” Mr. Zhen said surprised.

“Yup! I’m back! And I’ll be staying! I’ll pass your classes this time!” Jiro confidently exclaimed and grabbed an empty seat at the front. The person sitting beside him scooted away from Jiro, but he didn’t seem to care at all.

Selina watched his strange behavior and turned to the teacher who quickly introduced her. She didn't have time to wonder why he had suddenly appeared.

“I guess it’ll be best for you to sit next to Danson since you’ll be more comfortable with him,” Mr. Zhen gestured toward Danson. “If you need any assistance Danson’s a great person to go to.”

Jiro shot his hand up and without waiting for the teacher to call on him, he said nimbly, “Selina knows me too. I spent the past week in her town in her house. Right, Selina?”

Snickering could be heard from the classmates. Selina looked around and turned to Jiro then to the teacher. Selina could see from the teacher’s expression that he didn’t want to deal with Jiro. Something Selina would call annoyance.

Selina smiled and replied, “I’ll sit with Danson.”

“Alright class, take out your textbooks and turn to page 83…” the teacher's voice droned on.

Jiro frowned and turned to glance at Selina who pretended she didn’t notice anything. During class Jiro leaned forward in his seat to see Danson and Selina working together on their worksheet. Leaning in closer he could hear Selina explaining the answer to Danson. He smirked and turned his worksheet over and started to doodle on it.

“Be back in time for class!” the teacher shouted after the students who were racing down the hallway.

It was now lunch time. Jiro stared at Selina as she walked pass his desk and out the door. He turned to see Danson sitting by himself and smiling Jiro got out of his seat. Danson stopped what he was doing when Jiro laid his arms down on his desk causing Danson to look up.

Jiro smirked down at him, “I didn’t know Danson Tang had a cousin like Selina.”

“What do you want?” Danson asked setting his things aside.

“Mmmm…” Jiro sounded. “Don’t you find Selina like a statue? She’s like a person frozen in time that can’t smile.”

Danson stared back at Jiro blankly, clearly keeping any expression off of his face.

Unsatisfied Jiro went on, “Really related.”

“Has she smiled at you before?” Danson asked calmly.

“What?” Jiro questioned.

“Has she smiled at you before?” Danson repeated. He sat up straighter and leaned back crossing his arms gaining confidence with Jiro's sudden frown. “I guess not.”

“Complimenting her?” Jiro wondered.

“You could say so,” Danson easily said, “I can tell you that when she smiles at you she looks ten times better than any girl in this school.”

Jiro laughed loudly, “You like her? You have a crush on your cousin? Oh! Danson Tang!”

“Jealous? Or feeling lost?” asked Danson. “Go pick on someone else, cause I can tell you one thing, and that is you don’t stand a chance against Selina.”

Jiro’s face twisted up and he glared at Danson.

“I think you’re underestimating me,” Jiro began with an angrier tone attached to his voice.

“You’re underestimating me,” Danson quickly retaliated.

“You two don’t get along?” questioned Selina from behind.

Both Jiro and Danson turned to see Selina. She walked over and placed a can of juice on Danson’s desk.

“They didn’t have the kind you wanted so I got this,” Selina explained as she opened hers and took a sip. 

Jiro stared at them and retreated to his desk.

“Thanks,” Danson said smiling and slightly glanced at Jiro to see him staring at them with a glare.

The day ended quickly and students rushed towards the front doors. Selina stood with Danson watching as the rain drizzled down in front of them. Selina heard the girls panicking and screaming.

“It rarely rains on days like this,” Danson commented reaching his hand out to feel the warm rain drops. “Good thing the car’s picking us up but I wouldn’t mind walking either.”

“You like the rain?” questioned Selina turning to look at him finally interested.

Danson turned back to look at her, “You don’t?”

“No, I like it. It used to rain a lot where I come from,” Selina smiled.

Danson turned toward the front noticing a black car stopping. He quickly took off his sweater and put it on Selina. She looked at him with a questioned expression.

Danson smiled, “Girls shouldn’t get wet in the rain. Come on I’ll keep you dry.”

Selina felt a slight warmth overcome her. Throughout her whole life no one had treated her like Danson. He actually thought about how she was feeling. Selina decided that even though she didn’t know him she considered him decent. She finally snapped out of her thoughts when she felt a small push from behind.

“Danson!” shouted Fei. “The car won’t fit all of us. Xiao Mei’s coming along.”

Danson glanced at his sister, “Xiao Mei can call her parents to come pick her up.”

“Danson!” Fei whined then glared at Selina. “If I say Xiao Mei is coming with us, then she’s coming with us! We can leave this…outsider here. She’ll walk home.”

“Fei!” Danson began.

“Don’t worry. I can find another way home…” Xiao Mei began quietly and shyly glancing at Danson.

Noticing this, Danson could only sigh, “Alright. You two can go in the car. I’ll walk with Selina home.”

“Danson!” Fei shouted then glared at Selina once more. “Selina! You don’t want Xiao Mei to walk in the rain home, do you? She lives further away than we do.”

Selina looked over each of them calmly.

“I will be fine,” Selina assured turning to Danson. “I have your sweater. It’ll keep me dry.”

“Selina you shouldn’t…my father will…” Danson began but felt Fei tug him away.

“I will talk to dad. Come on,” Fei said and dragged Danson down the stairs.

Selina watched them walk away as she pushed her feelings for Danson’s kindness away.

“I’ll be understanding…” Selina repeated to herself.

Selina stared at the raindrops while squatting under a doorless shelter by a park she had found. Now would be the only time she would have to herself. Alone, with the usual silence. It would be the only time she would be able to think of her parents and complain to herself. No matter how she was feeling, she couldn’t find ways to express herself that wouldn’t require asking for help. Selina laid her head down on her arms.

“There wasn’t enough time for me to mourn for you two…” Selina thought to herself. “Will I be like this forever?”

“Still call it the rainy season?” Jiro questioned as he stepped beside her.

Selina looked up at him, “What are you doing here?”

“What are you doing here?” Jiro bounced the question back to her.

Selina pressed her lips together and stood up.

“Been following me?” she questioned sticking her hands into the sweater’s pockets.

Jiro made a face at her, “As if. I was just taking a walk to free my mind. I don’t have the time to go stalking a worthless someone.”

Selina glanced at his face non-expressionlessly and turned away, “It was just a plain joke.”

“How come you didn’t join them in their rich black car?” Jiro asked ignoring her explanation.

Selina touched her wet hair and pushed them behind her ears before turning to face Jiro.

“I think I’m lost,” she said giving a foolish laugh.

“You’re strange.” Jiro stated. He sighed and turned to her again, “You should get dried first.”

Selina looked around as she found herself standing inside a mansion. Jiro had gone off somewhere screaming for a Joanne. When she heard footsteps again she saw an old lady carrying a fluffy towel. She smiled warmly at Selina and handed her the towel.

“Oh my, are you wet,” Joanne complimented as Selina took off Danson’s sweater and started to dry off her hair.

Selina paused when she found the woman watching her.

“Is something the matter?” Selina questioned.

The lady smiled and shook her head no, “It’s just…you’re the first friend I’ve ever seen Jiro bring home.”

Selina blinked feeling lost and stood up from where she was sitting.

“This is his house?” she questioned. “I thought he said it belonged to an aunt.”