11

Fool

“What? Nothing happened!” Jiro lied.

Hebe pointed her hand at Jiro, “You’re lying. I’ve known you for almost three whole years. I can tell. Say it.”

Jiro looked helplessly at Hebe, “Nothing, really.”

“If you’re lying you have to bring her as a date to my wedding,” Hebe tricked, “and I know you’re lying so that makes her your date. I can help you doll her up! How fun that would be!”

“Hebe!” Jiro said. “Please, I’m doing homework for once!”

“Jiro…” Hebe went on.

“You’re pathetic Hebe,” Jiro commented.

Hebe smiled once more, “You’re bad at lying. Here’s our wedding invitation. Be sure to come. If you don’t bring Selina, I’ll never speak to you again and I’ll let Aaron beat you up!”

Jiro watched as Hebe left and glanced at the card. He grabbed it and looked through the inside.

Jiro tossed it back onto the table, “I don’t like her.”

The next day at school he watched as Selina entered the classroom. She already looked healthy and happy again. Yet, he wondered if she was putting on that smile as a mask. She seem to wave toward him and he wondered if she really was waving at him.

After school Jiro ran out of the school before Fei could find him. When he got home he grabbed some fruits from the fridge and headed toward the study room. When he got out his homework and was beginning to start on his first worksheet the door opened. Selina poked her head in and looked at him.

“Am I still welcome here?” Selina asked.

Jiro stared at her silently, “I never thought you’d come back.”

Selina smiled at him for the first time and walked in. Jiro watched her cautiously remembering Hebe’s words. Why had he chosen her as a tutor? Why? Did he like her? Jiro shook his head.

“Something wrong?” Selina asked.

Jiro quickly looked up and started to feel nervous.

“Nothing,” he stuttered.

Selina returned to her worksheet, “I’m surprised you actually did your homework. Even Mr. Zhen said you did a good job…”

“Selina,” Jiro began. Selina became silent and looked up at him. “Um…you know the other day…what I did to you…”

Selina didn’t seem angry or lost, but she kind of smiled, “The kiss?”

“Yea,” Jiro replied as he turned away.

Selina laughed a little, “Don’t worry. I’ll pretend nothing ever happened. Is that better?”

Jiro nodded his head yes though he hadn’t expected that answer to come out of . Somehow he felt Selina was a little different than before.

The next day when Selina entered class Jiro watched her from his desk. She seemed to be happier in a way and in a way that happiness seemed to make her glow. As Selina turned to look at him Jiro averted his eyes elsewhere pretending he had never looked at her. After class ended Jiro hurried back home to wait for Selina, but she didn’t come that day. The next day Selina did not come either. Jiro crumbled up a piece of paper and tossed it to the ground. He had been struggling on the same question for hours and yet he had not found the answer.

“Is she treating me like dirt now?” questioned Jiro aloud to the silence. “Come when she likes, go when she pleases. She thinks she can treat me differently depending on her mood? Where is she?!”

As Jiro got off his chair and turned around he found Hebe standing at the doorway staring at him wide eyed.

“What?” Jiro asked as he took his seat again.

“Wow, are you moody,” Hebe commented walking in.

“I’m not moody,” Jiro denied.

Hebe glanced at all the paper balls on the ground.

“What are these?” she asked.

“Forget it,” Jiro snapped.

Hebe made a face and sat down.

“Selina hasn’t come?” Hebe asked.

“Who cares about her,” Jiro said leaning on his arm pretending as if it didn’t really matter.

“Then what’s with ‘Is she treating me like dirt now?’” Hebe said making her voice go low.

“I did not say that,” Jiro lied.

“You did too,” Hebe said.

“I did not! I did not! I did not! Now stop talking to me and get out,” Jiro pouted.

“Why are you so angry?” questioned Hebe. “Don’t use your anger on me.”

“I am not!” Jiro shouted then stopped. “I’m just like a stray dog she visits whenever she wants.”

“Aww poor Jiro,” Hebe mocked then laughed. “You’re actually down. Why don’t you call her or something?”

“I don’t know her number,” Jiro mumbled.

“Why don’t you ask Aaron?” Hebe suggested.

Jiro glanced at her, “No.”

Hebe sat silently watching Jiro. To her he looked really restless.

“I don’t understand her,” Jiro suddenly piped up, “after that incident she just started acting weird. It’s like she’s more open now and she smiles whenever she wants. What happened to her statue figure? Why can’t she still be like that? But no! She has to smile at everyone now! Even she smiles at Danson 24/7! She’s only smiled at me once! What’s with that? Is it so hard to smile at me?”

Hebe was silent moving her eyes around as she thought, “Another guy? Danson?”

“What’s your problem?” questioned Jiro.

Hebe smiled, “You’re jealous because she smiles at him…but not at you? How cute!”

Jiro frowned and made a disgusted face, “Smiling at him doesn’t make her cute! She looks uglier when she smiles.”

“Then why do you want her to smile at you so bad?” Hebe asked.

“Because…because…I want to see her be ugly,” Jiro childishly lied.

Hebe laughed, “You’re so bad at lying. You obviously like her a lot more than you think.”

“Oh please!” Jiro cried.

Hebe smiled with a chuckle, “I knew it.”

Jiro shot Hebe a glare, “I know what you’re up to. You’re just trying to make me think that I like her when in fact I don’t. I’m going to put myself in an illusion Hebe.”

“Don’t be so low. You’re not that bad,” Hebe tried.

“Who are you? The love detective?” Jiro frowned.

Hebe jumped up from her seat, “You’re right! I should be one! Hey, tell me where Selina lives and I’ll help you. How about that?”

“Just go away,” Jiro said waving her away.

Hebe made a face and sat down. An hour after she left Jiro found himself laying around the house. He figured he was being too easy on Hebe letting her silly words get to him. He won’t like Selina. Obviously it is true that Danson had everything Jiro lacked. Danson even had Selina and Selina was the only thing Jiro could take away from Danson. Though now that didn’t seem important anymore. Jiro felt around his neck and pulled out the necklace Selina had bought him.

“Funny. I swear I thought I took it off yesterday,” Jiro told and tried to take it off but stopped. “Never mind, I’m too lazy. You can stay around my neck for now.”

Jiro sighed and closed his eyes. As he did, he imagined kissing Selina again. Jiro’s eyes shot open and he sat up. Selina admitted she liked him? She did, didn’t she? Jiro then recalled hugging her. That was the first time he ever held a crying girl. Jiro found himself smiling to himself.

“No! Wait!” Jiro said loudly as he jumped to his feet. “Impossible! I’ll never let myself fall for you, Selina!”

Jiro watched closely as Selina entered the classroom with Danson. She already seemed to be in a deep conversation with him. Jiro wanted to crumple up his notebook and toss it at the two.

After school Jiro waited for an hour for Selina to come, but when she didn’t he decided he would pay Fei a visit.

When the door opened it wasn’t Fei, but Selina who was wearing a white apron. She stared at him surprised and neither of them moved for a while. Jiro felt as if he was lost in space suddenly feeling nervous.

Selina was the first one to break the silence, “Are you here for Fei?”

“You moron, why didn’t you come tutor?” Jiro wanted to shout but he just nodded his head.

Selina held the door for him as she welcomed him in. Jiro stepped inside and took a look around for the first time. Forgetting about Fei for a minute he followed Selina into the kitchen to find that she was washing a bowl of fruits.

“Is this all you do?” questioned Jiro.

“They’re actually for Danson. His health has been declining. He doesn’t get well as fast as I do,” Selina said as she turned to look at Jiro.

“You finally have some expression in your tone,” Jiro said surprised.

Selina raised her eyebrows in question to what he meant.

“You sound worried,” Jiro said looking away from Selina.

“Jiro! You’re here!” Fei exclaimed loudly jumping into the kitchen and quickly wrapped her arms around his.

Selina took a quick glance at them and set a bowl of fruits on the table for them. She took a small bowl for herself and before leaving she turned around.

“I’ve already warmed up the food. If you want them, they’re by the counter,” Selina construed and headed out through the doors leading to the patio.

As Selina reached the backyard she made her way to Danson’s secret place.

Jiro watched as Selina left and took a seat grabbing some grapes and devoured them. Fei frowned at Jiro from behind and leaned on his back.

“Aren’t you going to take me somewhere today? You came without telling again,” Fei said.

Jiro was silent then without turned around saying, “Why don’t you get a sweater? It’s sort of chilly out. We can hang out in your backyard.”

“My backyard?” repeated Fei. “But that’s boring.”

“Hurry up and go get your sweater,” Jiro repeated once more before getting up from his chair.

Fei made a face behind him and went up to her room. Making sure that she was gone, Jiro smiled and made his way out back. He expected to find Selina hanging outside, but she was no where in sight. Jiro went as far as he could up to the bushes and came to a stop figuring he wouldn’t be able to go further. He walked back jumping up and down just to make sure Selina wasn’t hiding anywhere.

“Jiro! What are you doing?” Fei questioned.

Jiro turned around, “Oh…nothing.”

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Selina had taken a seat on the chair swing that Danson had brought in. His hiding place was where she had been going to for the past few days. Peace and quiet was guaranteed. Selina found that it was also a good place to do homework.

Selina kicked at the ground causing the swing to go back and forth as she ate the fruits she had brought with her. Then Selina searched her pocket and took out the mp3 player Danson had given her. Selina stuck the earphones into her ears as she heard Fei yelling at Jiro outside. She turned around and poked her head out of the door to see Jiro doing jumping jacks.

“What a fool,” Selina laughed and went back to sit on her swing.

Jiro returned home unsatisfied.

“How could she ditch me back there?!” Jiro pouted as he dropped onto the couch. “Stupid Selina! You make me so angry!”

Jiro gritted his teeth and threw his head back closing his eyes.

“Stupid Hebe! Throwing nonsense thoughts into my head and now all I think of is her,” Jiro mumbled to himself.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

After class Jiro watched as Selina walked out with Danson.

“You took off today, right?” questioned Selina. “You should go home and get some good rest. I won’t be coming home right after school so go get some sleep.”

“You’re going back there?” questioned Danson.

Selina smiled at Danson, “He won’t understand today’s assignment and I have a feeling he’s been moping around.”

“So what if he mopes around?” asked Danson.

Selina rested her hand on his, “I’ll come back so why are you worrying so much?”

“Ok,” Danson said, “sorry. I’m over protective, aren’t I?”

Selina laughed, “You are. I’ll see you later.”

Danson waved at Selina and made his way down the stairs. Selina watched as Fei and Xiao Mei made their way down the stairs. Then she turned around holding her hands together and waited for Jiro. After some 15 minutes he finally walked by. He stopped a few feet away and looked at her as if making sure she was really there. Jiro stuck his hands into his pocket and walked over.

“Why are you still here?” he questioned slowly coming to a stop.

“You’ve been lazing around, haven’t you?” Selina said with a small smile.

“Wipe that off your face,” Jiro demanded. “I’m not having a ride today.”

“Then…we can walk also,” Selina suggested.

Jiro frowned at her, “Suit yourself.”

Selina lagged behind Jiro the rest of the way to his house. He had not spoken. Selina stared at his back which she decided even looked angry. Selina bit her bottom lip and ran forward. Jiro turned around just as she ran into him causing the two of them to tumble onto the ground. Selina landed softly on her knees her arms spread out around Jiro as he landed with a thump in a sitting position.

“Ow,” Jiro moaned then rose his head to look up into Selina’s face.

Jiro felt himself gulp as this was the first time he realized how pretty Selina was. He could feel himself burn up inside.

“You still feeling angry?” Selina questioned.

Jiro frowned at Selina, “I wasn’t angry.”

Selina frowned at him and moved her face close to him. What surprised her was Jiro actually moved his face back. Selina could feel her heart beating wildly, but that didn’t really matter to her anymore. She wasn’t going to be shy towards him.

Selina smiled at him and got into a sitting position by him resting her hands beside her.

“You clearly were upset about something,” Selina told then got up. “You’re in a hurry to get back aren’t you?”

Jiro frowned at Selina and moved his hand over his chest, “Is she trying to make me crazy? Or is she already crazy herself?”

Jiro stared at his homework, but his mind only concentrated on what happened earlier. If Selina had moved closer she could have kissed him. Jiro found himself sighing then again wondering why he was thinking those stuff. He glanced up at Selina who seemed to be fully concentrated on what she was doing. Jiro leaned over and quickly copied down her answers.

“You can copy, but you’ll have to tell me why you were in such a bad mood earlier,” Selina tried compromising without looking up.

“I already told you. I wasn’t in a bad mood,” Jiro retorted.

“Anyone can tell through your lies,” Selina told. “Tell me.”

“Since when are you a busy body?” asked Jiro.

“I just am. Do you want to copy or not?” Selina questioned.

Jiro made a face, “Nothing. It’s really nothing.”

Selina looked up at him and scooted her chair away from him. Jiro opened his mouth in protest with a deep frown inscribed onto his face.

“Ok…wait,” Jiro said. “Move your chair back first.”

Selina did as told and sat there watching Jiro.

He was silent for a long time while trying to figure out what to say in order not to make either of them laugh.

Jiro gulped and said, “You ditched me yesterday.”

Selina raised her eyebrow, “I ditched you?”

She laughed making Jiro feel like a fool for saying such a childish thing.

“I’m telling you the truth Sel, I don’t like Fei,” Jiro said, “I was just playing around with her for fun. I have no special feelings for her so don’t misunderstand anything.”

Selina stared at Jiro her smile disappearing off her face, “You what?”

Jiro bit his bottom lip as it had become a habit now, “I’m not repeating myself. You clearly got what I was saying.”

Selina frowned, “How could you? A girl’s feelings are very important and true. If they like someone seriously it’ll hurt a lot if she gets played.”

“Why are you getting mad?” asked Jiro.

“Because you’re playing her,” Selina pointed out.

Jiro took a breath looking away then turned back to Selina, “Ok, I’m sorry.”

“That’s it?” questioned Selina.

Before Jiro could go on Joanne opened the door, “I prepared dinner early, Jiro.”

Jiro turned to Selina, “Have a meal before you go.”

Selina frowned at Jiro non-stop, “I don’t know.”

“Danson can wait another hour, can’t he? I’ll figure things out with Fei later,” Jiro seemed to promise. “You still have my birthday to make up. You never appeared that day, remember?”

Selina chewed the inside of , “Don’t use that as an excuse.”

Selina got up and went to the door and smiled at Joanne, “One meal, alright?”

Selina found herself sitting at the dining table with Jiro close by. Selina found Jiro pretty much still the same, though it seemed as if it was harder for him to show his emotions. Selina made herself as comfortable as she could and ate away. Silence enveloped them for minutes.

Jiro swallowed his food without tasting them. Thoughts ran themselves over and over in his head. He guessed Hebe’s words were really getting to him. Since when did he start liking Selina? Should he tell her now that he’d realized it? Danson was still also around and it would be easy for Danson to be able to get to her first. Should he say something before Danson would take his chance? Should he wait? But what if it was already too late?

“Selina,” Jiro said his mouth suddenly calling her name, “if I said something would you take it seriously?”

Selina looked at him with a confused expression, “What?”

Jiro smiled then let his smile fade, opened his mouth a few times, but nothing came out.

Gathering his courage he stuttered over his words, “I think I like you. No…no…I mean I like you.”