18

Fool

“I’ll be up soon,” Selina promised.

About 25 minutes later after Selina had gotten into her dress the door opened and Fei walked in closing the door.

“I need to talk to you,” Fei sounded serious.

“What is it?” asked Selina.

“I don’t care anymore if Jiro likes you, but I still love him. No matter what, I hope you can stay away from him.”

Selina glanced at Fei to find that her left hand was hidden behind her back.

“I don’t know what you’re saying.”

“I…you need to stop making Jiro waver. Every time you appear, all his attention is always on you. I hate you for that. If you could stop making Jiro’s heart beat or maybe if you disappear…” Fei went on. “Stay away from him. If you don’t, I’ll kill myself.”

Selina’s eyes opened wide in terror as Fei pulled out a pair of sharp scissors from behind her.

“I will kill myself and it will be your fault. I’ll make everyone hate you!” Fei threatened. “Just marry Danson and move far away.”

“Put that down first, Fei,” Selina said calmly, her own heart beating wildly.

“No!” Fei refused. “Give me your word. You’ll marry Danson and get all of this over with! Say it!”

Selina inhaled a bunch of air, “Ok…ok. Just please don’t do anything foolish. I’ll marry Danson and go far away from here. I promise!”

Fei smiled in victory, “Good. I hope you rush the wedding too then.”

As the door closed Selina felt herself collapse to the ground.

“How can this be happening? It’s so crazy,” Selina thought to herself. “When I’m going to make another attempt toward Jiro…why?”

“What do you mean by cancel?” Uncle Tang’s voice echoed in the kitchen.

Selina quickly headed down the stairs to find Danson with his father.

“Selina and I changed our minds,” Danson told.

“You can't just do that the day before the engagement! This is an important matter Danson! Not anything anyone can put it on and off!” Uncle Tang scolded angrily.

“Uncle,” Selina broke in as she walked entered the room, “what’s going on?”

“Selina, tell me. Is Danson being a jerk to you? Did anything go wrong that you two would cancel the engagement?” Uncle Tang questioned.

His eyes dug into hers. 

Selina looked up at Danson with sorry eyes and turned to her uncle with a smile, “Danson was just joking with you. Please don’t take it seriously. I sort of got him mad last night…forgive him, please?”

Uncle Tang frowned at the two of them, “We’re leaving in five minutes. Be out in the car by then.”

Selina pressed her lips together as he walked by.

“What’d you just say?” Danson asked walking around Selina so he was standing in front of her instead of behind her. “A joke? How can that be a joke? From last night you weren’t joking were you? This is not funny Selina.”

Selina lowered her head, “I know. I’m really sorry.”

“What’s wrong? Did anything happen?” Danson questioned. “You don’t look so well.”

Selina put her hand on Danson’s arm, “I’m so sorry for what I said last night. Lets continue with this…I’ll marry you.”

The engagement ceremony passed by faster than Selina had imagined. The whole time she was on stage she had tried to spot Jiro, but found that he was no where. He had not attended the engagement ceremony, but she found a happy  smile on Fei’s face.

It was late when they finally went back home.

Selina was sitting on her bed in the dark when there was a knock on the door.

“What are you doing sitting in the dark?” questioned Danson as he the light.

Selina did not turn away from the wall she was staring at.

“Are you tired?” asked Danson.

Selina did not reply. Danson sat down next to her.

“Today’s already gone by. I would have stopped it if you wanted,” Danson said again, “why did you change your mind?”

Selina stared down at her hands without replying.

“When you told me yesterday that you wanted Jiro back, I wasn’t sure of how to feel,” Danson honestly admitted then laughed as if he were nervous, “then I figured after thinking…I want you to stay with me forever.”

Selina rose her head up and looked at Danson.

“My feelings are always stepping over the line,” Danson began as he moved closer to Selina, “I like you a lot.”

“I…I…” Selina began, but came to a stop as Danson started to kiss her.

Selina felt her heart ache more as Danson went deeper into the kiss. What was she supposed to do? Everything was ruined now. There would be no way she would be able to run now.

“Get some sleep, ok?” Danson told then placed a kiss on her forehead.

Selina listened as the door closed and fell back onto the bed. She curled up into a ball and cried silently. Selina let out a yelp as she felt that stinging pain in her chest. It began as a small pain then got worse a few seconds later. Selina squeezed her eyes shot and clutched onto the bed sheet. She let out a painful quiet scream and sobbed as she felt the pain spread.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Jiro sat silently staring at the wall. His heart pounded and ached from all the misery he was feeling. Soon Selina will be legally Danson’s and there was nothing Jiro could do about it. His life wasn’t getting any better.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

The next few months passed by and Selina heard Fei talking through the phone to Jiro. She figured their relationship finally started again and Jiro was finally playing along with her. Selina felt her chest hurt when she heard them sweet talk. However, Selina had decided to stay away from Fei.

It was a sunny morning when Selina walked into the kitchen to help Danson’s mother prepare breakfast.

“Good morning, Selina,” she greeted.

“Morning,” Selina greeted.

“Have you and Danson decided on a wedding date?” she questioned.

Selina felt herself come to a freeze, “Wedding date?”

Aunt Tang nodded, “It’s better to have it decided besides, it’s been months after the engagement.”

Selina bit her lip, “How about we push the date forward? Would it be fine to have it early?”

“Push it forward? How early?” asked Aunt Tang smiling.

“Maybe a few weeks from now? Or maybe even next week,” Selina suggested.

Aunt Tang raised her eyebrows in surprise, “Is something going on? That’s fast…”

Selina smiled, “The earlier the better. Nothing’s wrong with that, right?”

“Does Danson know?” Aunt Tang asked.

“I’ll talk to him about it,” Selina smiled.

“Next week?” Danson asked loudly in surprise.

Selina nodded, “I feel it’s better to get things over with before I begin changing my mind.”

“Are you still uncomfortable with something?” asked Danson.

Selina looked at him hoping she would be able to say something in order to get the whole world off her shoulders, but she couldn’t. Selina smiled and shook her head no.

Within the next few days Danson’s mother had taken Selina out to buy her wedding dress. All of the dresses were beautiful. However Selina felt neither delight nor happiness as she tried them on. As she stared at herself in the mirror all she could feel was an unwanted future. She was not happy at all.

The few days after buying the dress Danson’s father became busy calling relatives inviting them and finding a suitable place for the wedding. Danson’s mother busied herself with flower arrangements and decorations.

The day before the wedding Selina was already heading back towards her hometown. She had told her aunt, uncle, and Danson that she wanted to go back alone. She wanted to visit her parents and revisit her memories.

Selina stepped off the train and the first thing she did was look around. It was still the same. Nothing had changed. Selina began her walk around town recalling her carefree life. She was so happy back then…before she ran into Jiro. Selina came to a pause before her house. This was the place where she grew up, a place she would never be able to forget. Selina slowly turned away realizing she probably wouldn’t be coming back.

After going to the mart to buy flowers Selina headed towards her parents’ graves. As she neared their grave stones she felt her heart become heavy quickly. Selina kneeled beside their graves as she placed the flowers down.

“How are you?” Selina questioned. “I’m sorry I haven’t come.”

She was so still. Just listening to the wind and staring at the grave stones. Then suddenly tears erupted from her eyes.

“Why did this have to happen?” Selina questioned. “Why did you leave me alone?! Do you know how much pain I’ve been going through? I can’t stay like this anymore! I miss you two so much!” Before she realized it Selina was already sobbing. “Mom! Dad! Please come take me! I don’t want to get married! No one here understands me…who’s going to help me? Mom! Dad! Please come back!”

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Fei smiled happily as she ran into Jiro’s house.

“Jiro!” she shouted.

“Who is it?” asked Joanne walking into the hallway.

“Where’s Jiro?” Fei questioned. “And why are you here?”

“Jiro, isn’t here. He’s gone back to visit a place,” Joanne replied.

Fei frowned, “He didn’t tell me…”

*-*-*-*-*-*-

After walking around for almost half of the day Selina went to her favorite place to eat. It had been a long time since she had gone there. The last time she’d been there was when her parents had taken her to celebrate for her birthday.

“Thanks,” Selina thanked the waiter that had brought her her food.

As Selina began to chow down she thought she heard a voice that sounded like Jiro’s. He was laughing as the waiter took his order. Selina tried to look over, but the waiter was blocking her view.

“You’re imagining things,” Selina told herself and returned to her food.

“Is it alright if I sit here?” asked a voice.

Selina looked up to see Jiro smiling down at her. She felt her blood rush as her emotions swirled inside her. She was speechless.

“I’d take that as an ok,” Jiro said and sat down putting his plate in front of him. “How’s your day so far? Having a good time?”

Selina stared at Jiro unable to make anything come to her mind.

“What is it? Surprised?” Jiro questioned.

“Why are you here?” Selina asked.

Jiro laughed, “Don’t suspect that I’m following you. I just came to visit because I miss this place.”

Selina was unable to make herself draw a smile onto her face. She felt good just being able to look at him. It had been a while since she’d seen him this close.

“Are you doing well?” Selina asked unable to smile at all.

“What am I supposed to say?” Jiro questioned.

“You didn’t come to the engagement ceremony,” Selina told looking away from his eyes.

“Oh yea…” Jiro said as he lowered his head, “I’m sorry….but I heard your wedding is tomorrow?”

Selina couldn’t look at him. She knew she’d cry and ask him to help her. But she would disappoint so many other people if she ran away just like that.

“I never asked…how did you end up here a year ago?” Selina questioned.

“I joined a gang,” Jiro replied willingly, “I wanted out, but they wouldn’t let it happen until they beat me to a pulp. That’s all.”

They sat in awkward silence for a few minutes. When Selina was about to speak again her cell phone rang.

“Oh…yes, I’m coming back in an hour. Ok, bye,” was all Jiro heard.

Feeling afraid that he wouldn’t be able to see her face soon Jiro looked up at her.

“Was that Danson?” asked Jiro.

Selina nodded her head, “I need to get back.”

“Is that so?” Jiro said not willing to let her away from his sight. “I guess this is goodbye?”

“Are you coming tomorrow?” Selina asked.

“I’ll be there for sure,” Jiro replied.

With a last glance at Jiro Selina turned around to walk away.

“It was really nice to see you again,” Jiro said quietly as he watched Selina disappear.

Selina came to a pause outside and took a breath of air. She quickly wiped away a tear that had secretly fallen. After one more breath of air Selina headed back to the train station.

Selina awoke early the next morning. After getting into her dress she sat in front of a large mirror and watched as her hair was done and make up was put on her. Danson was in his room putting his tux on.

The wedding hall was already buzzing with excitement. Chatters and happy laughter were heard everywhere. Little kids were running around without understanding the happy ceremony. Jiro walked through the front doors with Fei beside him. She was clinging onto his arm happily.

“The bride looks very pretty today,” the hair stylist complimented after getting Selina’s hair done.

“Isn’t she?” Danson’s mother said happily. “Today’s the best day of my life.”

Selina felt her heart ache more, but managed to fake a smile.

Jiro sat at a table and listened as the priest went on with his speech. Within a moment the official marriage ceremony was beginning. Jiro watched as Danson made his way up to the stage. Everyone was in awe when Selina walked through the aisle arm in arm with Danson’s father, who was representing her parents. Selina stood next to Danson holding her flowers tightly in her hands. She glanced at Danson and he looked back at her with a smile.

The priest went on with the speech.

“Will you love her, comfort her, and keep her in sickness and in health and love only her? Are you willing to keep all these promises?” the priest asked.

“Yes, I do,” Danson nodded.

Selina felt her chest tighten up and her breath shorten.

“And you the wife will you love him, comfort him, and keep him in sickness and in health and love only him? Are you willing to keep all these promises?” the priest asked.

Selina felt her teeth begin to chatter slowly, but she wasn’t able to let out a sound from . Then it began. Her chest began to throb painfully and her sight became blurry from lack of air. In no time Selina had dropped onto the ground. Jiro shot up from his chair and rushed over.

“Selina!” both he and Danson shouted.

Even though Danson was standing beside her on stage Jiro reached Selina before he did. Danson watched as Jiro picked Selina up into his arms.

“Selina! Wake up! Open your eyes!” Jiro urged.

“Hurry, call an ambulance!” someone shouted.

“Selina!” Selina heard someone shout before blacking out.

Danson’s parents, Fei, Jiro and Danson were waiting impatiently outside the ER. They all jumped up when the doctor walked out.

“Were you the family who came for a health check up a while ago?” the doctor questioned.

“Yes, yes we were,” Uncle Tang replied impatiently.

“I’m sorry but one of our nurses mixed the information up between Fei and Selina,” the doctor explained calmly.

“What does that mean? What does it mean?” Aunt Tang asked panicked.

“Calm down,” Uncle Tang told, “please continue, doctor.”

“Selina will need to go for an operation right away. Her heart is not in good situation right now. We will need the guardian to sign papers,” the doctor pressed on.