17

Fool

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

It had gotten darker outside when the door finally opened and in came Danson and Selina. As soon as they closed the door they could hear chatter and laughter coming from the kitchen.

“Do we have a guest?” Danson asked.

Selina glanced at him and followed him into the kitchen. She came to a quick stop behind Danson when she saw Jiro sitting in the kitchen with Fei, her aunt, and uncle.

“You two are finally back,” Danson’s mother said. “Go get out of your wet clothes and come back to eat.”

Selina kept her eyes on Jiro feeling that her day had not gotten any better. The only things that were running in her head were why was he here? He seemed to smile back at her. Selina quickly turned around casually to walk away.

Selina shook her head as she paced back and forth inside her room. She kept telling herself over and over that it wasn’t Jiro anymore. She wanted to complete her marriage to Danson for her mother so she can’t have feelings for Jiro any longer.

“Besides I’ve done too much for me to turn back. Everyone believes Danson and I are getting married. I also can’t disappoint aunt and uncle. I can do this. I can like Danson too. Don’t let this get in the way Selina.” Selina told herself.

After Danson had finally changed into dry clothes he opened his door and walked over to Selina’s room.

“Selina? Are you still in there?” Danson asked after a knock on the door.

“Yea, I’m done,” Selina replied then a few seconds later the door opened.

Selina followed Danson into the kitchen where Danson’s mother greeted them warmly once more. Warm bowls of soup were set in front of them and they were urged to eat. Throughout the meal Fei kept talking happily, but Jiro’s eyes were turned toward Selina as he paid no attention to Fei. Selina kept her eyes turned away as to not look at him. Danson noticed the small motions the two had taken, but did not say anything.

“Is your soup warm enough?” Danson asked.

Selina nodded her head, “Yes.”

“That’s good,” Danson replied and couldn’t help, but glance over at Jiro who was staring hard at him.

“So mom is taking Selina out to buy a dress for the engagement ceremony. I might go out to buy a new dress too since all I have are old ones. Do you want to come along?” Fei asked.

Jiro did not reply.

“Jiro? Jiro?” Fei called.

Fei then followed Jiro’s gaze and frowned when she found it was Selina.

“Jiro!” Fei shouted as she slapped Jiro on the arm.

“Oh God, Fei! You scared me!” Danson’s mother exclaimed turning around from the stove.

Fei kept her angry frown on Jiro as he turned to look at her.

“What?” Jiro questioned.

Fei rolled her eyes, “I think you should go home.”

“Already? What if I don’t feel like going?” Jiro questioned.

“Mom, what would you think of Jiro if he stole Danson’s future bride from him?” Fei asked turning to her mother.

Selina’s head shot up from her bowl of soup as she glanced at her aunt. Fei’s mother stared back at her daughter surprised that she would say such a thing.

“That…that would never happen, Fei. Jiro’s your boyfriend…what would he think if you’re saying that now?” Aunt Tang questioned.

“What if that really happened?” Fei kept pushing the question.

Selina lowered her head when her aunt turn to take a glance at her. 

“Mom,” Danson jumped in, “Fei’s just trying to throw a joke. Don’t take it seriously. We all know Jiro likes Fei so he wouldn’t do anything like that, right?”

Jiro glanced at Danson, his expression now lost and disappointed.

“Yea, I wouldn’t do that. Fei usually throws her tantrum like this.” Jiro chided agreeably.

Danson’s mother glanced at Fei uncertainly.

“Alright then. I guess I should leave you kids alone,” Danson’s mother added before walking out of the kitchen.

They sat in silence for a long time.

“What was with that, Fei?” Danson finally spoke up. “Why would you say such a thing in front of mom?”

Fei glared at her brother, “If you take better care of Selina and make sure she doesn’t have so many boyfriends then I’d feel better when she becomes my sister in law.”

“Fei!” surprisingly both Danson and Jiro shouted at the same time.

Selina glanced at the both of them nervously. Fei started breathing heavily causing Selina to have a scare remembering her condition.

“Are you ok?” Selina questioned getting out of her chair and going over to Fei.

Fei quickly pushed Selina away.

“Get away from me!” Fei screamed and got up from her chair walking off.

Selina stood frozen to her spot not knowing what she should do next. She was fully aware that only Jiro and Danson were left in the room with her. Danson was first to make a move. He walked over and stood in front of her, his hand touching hers comfortingly.

“I’ll go talk to Fei. Why don’t you send Jiro out?” Danson whispered into her ear.

Selina felt Danson brush pass her she and gritted her teeth before turning back to Jiro. He stared at her before finally got up from his chair to grab her hand. As the front door closed behind them Jiro turned around to face her.

“Are you trying to act innocent now? Why don’t you say something to defend yourself? You shouldn’t be staying here if Fei is being like that towards you,” Jiro snapped.

Selina pulled her hand out of his grip, “She wasn’t like that before. It’s because you came. It’s your fault. You should take better care of her.”

“Selina,” Jiro called sadly. “I miss you.”

Selina felt a lump form in . She missed him a lot too.

“I can’t miss you,” Selina rejected coldly, “how can I miss you when I have Danson around all day? I don’t even have a spare second to have thoughts of you.”

“You don’t really need to do this, do you?” asked Jiro.

“I’m getting married soon. I hope you can make it to the engagement ceremony,” was all she said and opened the door to walk back into the house.

Jiro stood in front of the door.

“I’ll get you back soon,” Jiro told himself.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Danson found Fei sitting on the corner of her bed.

“Who are you angry with? Me, Selina, or Jiro?” asked Danson when he walked in.

Fei turned away from her brother, “Are you just pretending to be stupid? Don’t tell me you didn’t see anything?”

Danson smiled as he sat down on the small couch, “Even so, you have to save their prides. We can’t just speak of whatever we want to say whenever.”

“So?! They don’t even care about us…” Fei got cut off.

“They care, Fei Fei,” Danson softened his voice a whole level. “You know Jiro likes Selina and he was just showing it silently. He doesn’t want to embarrass you or hurt you by speaking his mind. That shows he does care.”

“So…you’re telling me to apologize?” Fei questioned.

Danson nodded, “That’d be the correct thing to do.”

“Ok,” Fei gave in.

Danson got up from the couch and walked out of the room closing the door after him. He headed downstairs just as Selina just coming in from the front door. Her face was contorted mixed with feelings.

“Did he go back?” Danson asked.

“Yea, he did,” answered Selina.

“Can we have a talk?” asked Danson.

Selina glanced at Danson silently. He walked into the living room and took a seat.

“Are you sure you don’t want my help?” Danson questioned. “I can still help you get Jiro.”

Selina averted her eyes, “I already made my decision.”

“I don’t see that you’re happy,” Danson pointed out, “I like you, yes I do. But I care more about your happiness. If your heart longs for him more, I can still help you get Jiro. I know he doesn’t like Fei so you don’t need to make this so complicated.”

“You’re making this hard for me too,” Selina piped up. “When I say I want to marry you, is that so wrong? I don’t expect you to be so happy…but I want to try my best to start liking you from little to big.”

Danson stared at Selina a little longer then smiled, “I really, really, really want to yell at you.”

Selina smiled back, “Thank you.”

The next day Jiro came by again. He had half expected Selina to answer the door bell, but it was Fei. She smiled sweetly at him.

“Hi Jiro,” Fei greeted.

Jiro looked at her then seemed to be looking behind her.

“Do you want to come in?” Fei asked.

“Sure,” Jiro replied then entered the house.

As soon as he walked inside he looked around for Selina.

“Hey Jiro?” asked Fei.

Jiro turned around, “What?”

“I’m sorry about being so impulsive yesterday.” Fei apologized. “I shouldn’t have said all of those.”

Jiro laughed, “Oh that? It’s nothing so don’t worry about it.”

“They’re not here,” Fei replied.

“Huh?” Jiro who had turned around turned back to look at Fei.

“They went out to find a dress for Selina,” Fei told, “so don’t look for Selina. You won’t get her anymore. I’ll tell Selina to not make you waver away from me anymore. She won’t appear in front of you in the future.”

Jiro’s mind went to a blank at Fei’s words. He felt her brush pass him. Before Fei had gone far enough Jiro turned around.

“What do you mean I won’t get Selina anymore?” demanded Jiro.

“The words already say it. I don’t need to explain it, do I?” asked Fei. “She doesn’t want to be with you anymore. She’s marrying my brother, so will you leave her alone?”

“No!” Jiro found himself yelling and calmed down realizing it was not his place to let his anger loose. Yet he still fel still furious. “I won’t let her go that easily.”

“If I kill myself, will you still go after her?” Fei asked.

“Selina is already my world, I don’t need anyone else.” 

“Why do you like her so much?” Fei questioned. “Can’t I compare to her?”

“I don’t need a reason to like someone.” Jiro responded. “You can't compare to her.”

“Then why…” Fei began.

“Because through my eyes, Selina is better than anyone else,” Jiro said. “I don’t care if we’ve been together for only a few weeks, but I’ve known her longer than that.”

“You’re just in the same position I am. Why don’t you give up and get together with me?” 

Jiro smiled gently, “To me you’re still childish. I know you don’t want to hear me speak anymore of her so I’ll make a move first.”

As Jiro turned around her heard Fei shout, “You’re stupid! You’re crazy! I’ll make both you and Selina regret this.”

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Days passed and soon days became weeks. Selina felt no change however in her life, but she had became closer to Danson and it was easier for her to accept reality. The night before the engagement ceremony everyone was up and about. Selina walked up the stairs from the basement with a bunch of table cloths in her hands.

“Was it these you were talking about?” asked Selina to Danson’s mom.

“Oh, Selina what are you still doing up? Go get some rest. Tomorrow’s a big day! Here let me take these from you.” Danson’s mother urged.

Selina watched as Danson’s mother turned around and went up the stairs to her room. As soon as she sat down her cell phone rang.

“Hello?” she said.

“Could you come out for a while? I promise this won’t take long,” it was Jiro.

Selina found Jiro sitting on the bench by the road.

“You’re really going to do it?” asked Jiro.

Selina stared down at Jiro figuring it wouldn’t hurt to take a seat next to him.

“He isn’t that bad,” Selina started, “at first he kept on pushing me to come back to you. He knows how I feel and he’ll respect my decision. These past few weeks…I think I’m already starting to like him.”

“Why are you telling me this when it hurts me so much?” asked Jiro. “I still want you and I still need you Sel.”

“I learned sometimes in life we can’t get some things we really want, but we can still get the other things that will still make us happy,” Selina told.

“This is a decision you’re making. Nothing and no one is holding you back,” Jiro pointed out.

“I know,” Selina replied then placed her hand to her chest, “my heart’s holding me back. I know what’s wrong and what’s right. It’s a thing I feel I have to do and if I don’t do it I’ll feel guilty for the rest of my life.”

“It’s game over for us then. I hope you can be completely happy. If he ever hurts you, tell me and I’ll get him for you.”

All Selina could do was laugh.

“I’ll give up then, but I still love you,” Jiro's eyes drooped.

Selina felt her heart break into pieces. All she could bring herself to do was smile. She walked back home slowly and as soon as she sat down in her room she started crying. Jiro was finally giving up yet why did she not want to let go at this moment? Why did she let herself fall for him so hard? Why did those few weeks they had together had to be so short? At that moment Selina suddenly felt that she could not carry on with the engagement. She wanted to be with Jiro again. She wanted to be by his side and be in his arms. Without thinking Selina walked out of her room and pounded on Danson’s door. Alarmed that she was crying he invited her in quickly.

“Why are you crying? What’s wrong?” Danson asked worriedly.

Selina quickly wiped her tears, “I want Jiro back. I want Jiro back.”

Danson’s worried expression disappeared on the spot. As soon as she said that he wanted to grab her and not let her go.

“What’s wrong with me? Why am I like this? I was reluctant to marry her, now I want her?” Danson questioned to himself.

“The engagement ceremony is already tomorrow,” Danson stated.

“I know, I’m sorry,” Selina apologized.

Danson stared at her, “Don’t worry, I’ll think of something. Go take a shower and sleep ok?”

Selina nodded and after she stopped sobbing she left his room. Selina was awoken by Danson’s mother. She was smiling and looked dazzling in her dress that she was wearing.

“Wake up, bride,” she said happily, “I’ve set your dress out for you. We’ll be leaving in an hour or so after we get your make up on. Hurry up ok?”

Selina looked at her and as she did second thoughts and questions barged into her mind again. How would she be able to tell this woman that the engagement was off? If she saw Aunt Tang’s heart break she’d feel so guilty.