19

Fool

 

Selina spent the rest of her days in the hospital healing and taking care of Danson. He slept everyday and never opened his eyes yet Selina was full of hope that he would one day wake up. She sat beside him every day and talked with him cracking jokes and laughing by herself. She ate beside him and held his hand yet he didn’t wake up.

“You know today I met Xiao Xun at the store,” Selina told, “I just found out she and Xiao Yu got married. Isn’t that great news?”

Danson lay silently with no reaction. Again Selina was starting to feel helpless.

“Wake up, will you? I’m starting to get tired sitting here talking by myself. No matter how I think of it…we both should be in this coma,” Selina said quickly wiping a falling tear, “you should have let that car kill me. You don’t need to do this. I don’t want to wait forever to see you wake up.”

Selina grabbed Danson’s hand and wept silently.

It wasn’t until one day when Selina had gone out to buy new flowers to put in Danson’s room that she received the call. She rushed back into the hospital to find Danson sitting up in the hospital bed being checked up by the doctor.

“It’s a miracle. You’re a strong person,” the doctor commented.

“How is he?” Selina asked her eyes wide open with shock and happiness.

“Everything seems fine,” the doctor nodded approvingly. “He’ll be fine if he stays for a little longer.”

Selina smiled at the doctor as he walked pass then turned to look at Danson.

“Oh my God! You’re awake!” Selina shouted. “I thought I would never see you open your eyes ever again!”

Selina threw her arms around Danson as tears flushed out.

“Let me take a look,” Danson said as Selina moved out of his arms. “Wow! You’ve gotten even prettier.”

“Do you know how many years have passed?” asked Selina.

Danson smiled, “I know. I’m sorry.”

Selina stared at Danson and couldn’t help, but smile back. She moved forward to hug him again.

“I’m so happy that I’m afraid this is a dream!” Selina told. “It’s so good to have you back!”

“It’s good to be back,” Danson leaned his head against her shoulder.

Danson wasn’t allowed to leave his room until after two full days of examination. On the last day he was sitting outside in a wheel chair beside Selina who was sitting on the bench.

“Spring has arrived. It smells so good!” Selina said sniffing the air.

“It is, isn’t it?” asked Danson. “My parents are old now and Fei has matured so much!”

Selina smiled.

“Forgive yourself, Selina,” Danson decided to break the peace.

Selina turned to look at him lost.

“The wedding, the engagement, my parents, and Jiro. Let it all go, ok?” Danson turned with a smile. “You were sick and no one knew. All along, I knew you were lying about liking me…actually, I know you never did. The pain in your eyes…you hid it so well.” Danson smiled at Selina placing a hand on hers. “I’ll still be here when you need me Selina.” Danson let out a breath of relief. “It feels good to finally say that after six whole years!”

Selina's eyes watered a bit before she laughed.

“You look really beautiful with that smile,” Danson commented, “you should always stay like that. Thank you, for doing what you did for me and Fei.”

Selina wiped a tear that had come down her cheek.

“I know. It’s already been 6 years. I’d be a complete fool if I was still hanging onto the guilt,” Selina told.

“Jiro…you haven’t heard from him?” Danson questioned.

Selina was silent for a long while, “Not since the day you went into the coma.”

“Tomorrow…I’ve prepared something at the school yard. Be there by 1:00, ok?” Danson asked.

“Why? What are you up to?” Selina wanted to know.

“You’ll find out,” Danson smiled.

Selina stared at Danson curious about what he had planned for her. Still, Selina did exactly what Danson had asked of her.

The next morning Selina woke up early and had a joyful breakfast. It had been a while now. A year after Danson had gone into a coma she had gotten the Tang’s permission and rented an apartment of her own. Since then she had been living alone, but still always got together with the Tangs here and then.

Around late afternoon she finally set out. She walked to the school yard, but did not find anything in particular. The grounds were empty. Selina frowned and looked around wondering if Danson was playing a game with her.

“Does this place bring memories to you?” a voice behind her asked.

Selina turned around and felt her breath come to a stop. There standing in front of her was no one other than Jiro. His handsome smile had not yet disappeared.

“Fei told me you’ve been doing better,” Jiro softly smiled, “but you’ve gotten a lot skinnier.”

Selina stared at Jiro afraid that if she blinked he would disappear.

“How…” Selina said quietly.

“You don’t mind, do you? Me keeping in contact with Fei through e-mail?” Jiro asked. “I visited Danson the other day when he just woke up. I heard you and Danson got into an accident when coming to the airport. I thought maybe I’d see you around the hospital.”

Selina felt tears start to rush down her cheeks. Her long years of waiting and longing were coming to an end. Her heartaches and heartbreaks would be able to finally dissipate. She never thought that this day would come. The person who made her whole. The one who could make her smile without a single movement.

“I miss you Selina.” Jiro confessed. “I still love you more than usual.”

Selina laughed a little as more tears fell.

“How outdated…” Selina thought.

“Fool, are you going to come over into my arms or are you just going to stand there and cry?” Jiro questioned spreading his arms out.

Selina let out a loud cry then ran forward and jumped into Jiro’s arms binding her arms around him.

“I love you stupid.”

Epilogue:

“Cheers!” they all shouted raising their glasses into the air and knocked them together.

“Finish it all in one gulp!” Jiro called out.

Selina set down her empty cup first and heaved a gasp. Jiro set his down afterwards and looked at Selina with a frown.

“Are you really Selina?” Jiro asked.

“It’s because of you and Danson that I’ve learnt how to drink over the years,” Selina blamed.

“What did I do? I would have woken up if I could but look at Jiro. He could have come back to find you or he could have contacted you but no. He went into hiding.” Danson snickered.

“Jiro’s lame, don’t you think?” asked Selina.

Danson smiled, “Of course! But what good taste you have Selina.”

“Shut up,” Selina mumbled as she watched Danson pour himself another cup.

“I heard you’re going abroad,” Jiro told.

“I’m going to the states,” Danson replied after gulping down another glass.

“Copycat,” Jiro joked.

Danson smiled, “I’m going to come back a millionaire.”

“Well I already have my money right here,” Jiro told.

Jiro leaned in toward Selina and locked his arm around her.

“What cash?” Selina asked.

“I’m going to depend on you for a living,” Jiro said with a smile as he leaned his head onto Selina’s shoulder.

“Cheers for that,” Danson said holding his cup up to them.

---------

Danson had left for the states and came back as a successful business owner.

Fei had gone to France to find time to relax as a vacation off from work.

Danson’s parents were leading normal happy lives and were close to retiring as they had gotten older.

Joanne also enjoyed having Selina back as company.

As for Jiro and Selina…well you can decide for yourself :D