7

Fool

“Are you going to do your homework?” asked Selina without turning.

“Ok, ok,” Jiro replied and started to copy off of her.

As he did so, Selina glanced over slightly at his concentrated face and felt a rush in her blood. She turned away and continued on her homework. The door suddenly opened a second later and Joanne walked in with two big bowls. Selina watched her come over and as Joanne set the bowls down in front of them a large smile erupted onto Jiro’s face. He turned to look at Selina’s expression and his smile dropped when he saw that her face remained expressionless.

“It’s chocolate,” Selina said with a slight surprise in her voice.

Jiro smiled and gave Joanne a two thumbs up. Joanne smiled and nodded.

“Then, I’ll take my leave,” Joanne quickly left the room.

“Your favorite right?” asked Jiro.

“Of course,” Selina nodded. “You know there used to be this boy in my childhood and we ate this together everyday.”

Jiro stared at her almost smiling face, “A boy?”

Selina nodded forgetting everything for a moment, “I wonder where he could be now? Is he still in Taipei or…” Selina turned to Jiro and her almost smiling face faded.

“What?” Jiro questioned.

“I almost…almost thought you were someone else,” Selina admitted.

Jiro frowned, “Who? Danson?”

Selina didn’t respond, “I bet you like chocolate too, right?”

“Of course! I love it!” Jiro agreed with great enthusiasm in his voice.

He then stuck a spoonful of ice cream into his mouth.

About an hour and a half later Selina zipped her backpack and slung it around her shoulders as she stood up. They had just finished their last worksheet.

“Where are you going?” Jiro questioned looking up at her.

“Going back,” Selina replied.

“Weren’t you going to eat dinner?” Jiro questioned.

“No,” Selina answered.

“Ok…whatever,” Jiro muttered sulkingly and watched Selina close the door behind her.

Jiro leaned back in his chair figuring it was just him left with silence.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

As they passed a tall building Selina leaned forward, “Would you mind just dropping me off here?”

“Are you sure that it’s alright? Young master Jiro may get mad that I didn’t send you all the way home,” the chauffeur told.

“He wouldn’t mind. I don’t even think he cares. Thanks though,” Selina said and got out of the car.

She watched the car leave and looked around. It was just a bunch of business buildings in the area. Selina had decided on this place because there were less people around. Taking a step forward she started to stroll around. She hadn’t thought about why Jiro was picking on her. Yet, it made her wonder if he did like her. Selina shook her head refusing the thought. It was impossible for such a person as him to admire her. Selina stopped in her tracks. Why was it that she was starting to wonder about him now?

“Stop it,” Selina told herself and stared up at the sky suddenly feeling lonely.

It was always that same emptiness. Fei was even refusing to accept her. As usual, however she revealed her emotions something would go wrong. She would rather remain like a statue. Maybe Fei was right. Even Aunt and Uncle Tang were paying a lot of attention to her now. Would Danson and Fei really feel neglected? Selina had not wanted to interfere with their family. Then visions and thoughts of her family laughing together came flashing like lightning to her mind. How she missed her parents and the happiness they shared. She was just longing for some warmth and laughter...some she would be able to let out without being criticized.

Selina let out the first sigh since she had come to Taipei and felt a small raindrop hit her cheek. She looked up at the now darkened sky.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Jiro stared out at the darkening sky in his room when Joanne came running in startling him.

“What are you doing? The aerobics room is that way,” Jiro pointed to the left.

Joanne caught her breath and said, “There an impulsive man downstairs. He’s requesting for you a.s.a.p.”

Jiro frowned, “Who?”

When Jiro walked down the stairs he saw a familiar person pacing back and forth. That person stopped and looked over when Jiro reached the bottom step. Before Jiro realized it he was backward quickly.

“Where is she?” questioned Danson grabbing the collars of Jiro’s shirt.

“Who?” Jiro asked.

“Tell me where she is right now and stop playing games!” Danson gritted his teeth and demanded to know seriously.

“What are you talking about?” asked Jiro clueless.

“Where is Selina?” Danson finally clarified and in a loud voice.

Jiro frowned, “The chauffeur sent her home already! Why are you asking?”

Danson shoved Jiro away and rubbed his forehead, “You better be telling the truth.”

“What is your problem?” Jiro asked straightening out his shirt.

“Selina hasn’t come home,” Danson told.

Jiro stared at Danson and turned towards Joanne.

“What do you mean halfway?” Jiro questioned the chauffeur a few minutes later.

They were all standing in front of the chauffeur’s bedroom.

“She said it’s not like you would care so she got out of the car,” the chauffeur explained.

“Where was it?” Danson asked before Jiro could scold the chauffeur again.

“By a tower. It’s at the business district,” the chauffeur answered.

“Thanks,” with that Danson hurried off.

Jiro watched Danson leave then turned to the chauffeur. Assuming he had nothing to say Jiro hurried after Danson.

“Hey wait!” Jiro shouted after Danson.

“If anything happens, you’re going to be sorry,” Danson warned before turning away from Jiro.

Jiro frowned and sighed hurrying towards that tower the chauffeur had spoken of.

“Sel! You statue! Hurry up and get your out here right now!” shouted Jiro as he walked around back and forth.

The sky had already darkened by now and Jiro had been wondering back and forth in the same area. He scratched the back of his head and stopped. It was almost 10. The sky had really darkened.

“Where could she have gone?” Jiro wondered spinning around. “Would she still be in this area? I’ve already searched for an hour.”

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Danson continued to walk away from the business square. Knowing her, Danson knew Selina would prefer to be somewhere silent where she could be alone. If he hadn’t found her already by now she would be at that silent place. Danson paused as he passed a lake. A still figure was sitting on the ground staring out at the waters.

“Selina?” Danson called.

The figure turned around and Danson smiled relieved. He rushed toward her and Selina got up to her feet.

“What are you doing here?” Danson asked.

“I was just clearing my mind,” Selina responded.

Danson smiled and paused taking off his sweatshirt to put around her.

“You must be cold sitting so near the waves,” Danson said. “I was worried sick.”

Selina stared at the ground, “I almost took Fei’s words into consideration.”

Danson stared sadly at Selina’s face and pushed her hair behind her ears.

“I’m so sorry,” Danson apologized as he tightly hugged Selina. “You must be so hurt. I’m sorry.”

Selina felt that flooded feeling fill her again, that disappointment and sadness. Still she refused to let the tears out. She remained still and speechless as she stood in his secure arms.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Jiro hurried along the road still calling out Selina’s name. He stopped when he noticed two figures up ahead. He watched as the person who he guessed must be Danson put his sweater around Selina. He finally let his tense body calm down as he watched Danson pull Selina into a tight hug. Jiro felt a slight happiness as he knew that Selina was safe and that was all he felt.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Fei gritted her teeth and tightly grasped the bottom of her t-shirt. She watched as every member of her family rush toward Selina once the door opened. Their worried voices and questions made Fei angrier.

“Sorry,” was all Fei heard from Selina.

“Sorry? What about thanks for staying up and worrying about me?” Fei questioned. “Acting like a princess.”

“Fei, watch your words,” Mrs. Tang scolded.

Fei folded her arms, “Who was the one that said I am most important in this family?”

“What is wrong with you?” questioned Mrs. Tang.

Fei pouted, “I’m going to sleep.”

“That girl,” Mrs. Tang said after her.

“Don’t worry about her,” Mr. Tang persuaded, “you’re like a daughter to me. This house is your house too so you shouldn’t feel like an intruder who’s come into our family. No one should feel any more superior than the other. Ok?”

Selina shook her head almost feeling touched.

“Why don’t you take her up Danson?” questioned Mr. Tang.

Danson nodded and led Selina up the stairs.

As Selina entered her room Danson asked, “May I come in?”

Selina turned around and nodded as she took a seat on the bed. Danson glanced around the room and found it to be as plain as it had first been.

“You haven’t decorated the room?” Danson asked as he took a seat next to her.

“There’s not much to do,” Selina said, “I don’t plan on staying here forever.”

Danson glanced at her face and smiled.

“What?” Selina questioned quickly turning to him.

Danson turned away, “Good night.”

Selina watched him leave the room also leaving her with a strange feeling.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

“I gotta go do something first. Go to the classroom first,” Danson told Selina then he joined his group of friends and took off.

Selina turned and stopped stead-fast as she saw Lin standing in front of her along with Fei and Xiao Mei.

“Good morning,” Lin smiled a mischievous smile. “It looks like you’re carrying a lot of books. Would you like some help?”

“No thanks,” Selina said and tried to move to the side, but Lin blocked her.

“I’m just lending a hand,” Lin told then reached and pulled the books out of Selina’s hand and dropped them to the ground quickly.

Selina looked at the books and up at Lin.

Lin smiled again, “Don’t think you’re all that, Selina.”

“Hey! Don’t you have class or something?” questioned Jiro walking over quickly.

The three girls froze and stared at him not moving an inch.

“Good morning, Jiro!” Fei shouted with a cheerful tone in her voice.

Selina watched at Jiro quickly swept her books off the ground and stood back up.

“I hate girls who think they’re all that, you know?” Jiro asked turning to them. “Come on, Sel. I’ll carry your books for you.”

Selina looked back at the girls then at Jiro and hesitantly followed him. Everything was silent until Jiro turned around coming to a stop.

“Thanks or no thanks? Or what are you going to say?” Jiro questioned.

“Why’d you do that? They just get angrier,” Selina pointed out.

Jiro chuckled, “I understand that, they just envy you.” When Selina didn’t say anything he went on, “You’re the only other girl I let get close to me.”

“I don’t,” Selina clarified.

“Yea, you’re right. It’s more like I forced you to, but I know you enjoyed it,” Jiro smirked.

Selina walked toward him and snatched her books out of his arms, “I don’t.”

Their groups got together once more during class and to Danson’s surprise he found that Selina had actually started talking with Jiro. Danson was left out of almost every small conversation. From the corner of his eye he could see Jiro smile triumphantly. Selina had forgotten him.

“Hey, Selina,” Danson began.

Selina didn’t turn and Danson watched as she stared at Jiro drawing something on a piece of paper. She didn’t laugh at his drawing but pointed out that it looked funny. Though her character and attitude didn’t change Selina had never spoken to Jiro in class so much like that. Danson sensed a little change in her that was starting to show up. Something that told him Selina would be able to drift away. Even after class Danson watched Selina closely. He knew it was silly to be so protective, but he really liked her and he couldn’t help it.

“Hey, Selina,” Jiro called by the stair steps.

He was pointing to his car outside.

Selina took a step forward, but Danson called out her name stopping her.

“Are you really going again?” Danson questioned. “You don’t have to go, do you? I mean...is it alright if you don’t go?”

Selina looked at Jiro again then turned to Danson, “He wants to learn.”

“Is that your excuse?” questioned Danson determined to make her stay.

Selina smiled at Danson, “You know I’ll be back.”

Danson looked at the ground, “I know…I’m just worried…”

“About what?” asked Selina.

Danson looked up at her and smiled, “I’ve got something to tell you sometime.”

“Oh. Ok.” Selina said eyeing the school grounds. “I’ll see you later.”

Danson watched as she walked off after Jiro.

“Just don’t give him that smile of yours,” Danson thought.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Jiro glanced over at Selina who was sitting next to him in the car. He watched as she stared out the window. By glancing at Danson he already realized that Selina was a prized possession to him. It didn’t matter to him how close they were, Jiro just wanted to see Danson in pain or more like inflict pain on Selina. Though he knew trying to get close to her and making her show her emotions would be tough because Selina was like a real stiff statue. Nothing ever came out of her. There it was Jiro had his plan, he had his aim, and his target. He would find a way to make Selina fall head over heels for him.

After they had finished all their homework Jiro watched Selina place her folders into her bag.

“Are you going to stay for dinner?” questioned Jiro.

Selina looked at him with those lifeless eyes of hers.

“I didn’t think about it,” Selina told.

“Would you mind staying?” Jiro asked trying to sound as depressed as he could.

However Selina did not look at him any different and Jiro couldn’t tell what was going through her mind.

“Why?” Selina asked.

"Is it wrong if a person doesn’t want to eat alone?” Jiro said sounding a little impulsive.

“There’s Joanne around,” Selina pointed out.

“It’s not the same because she’s different,” Jiro said trying his best to be persuasive.

“I…” Selina began, but Jiro interrupted.

“I’ve got a surprise for you so just stay with me until we finish dinner, ok?” Jiro said his voice soft now.

“Surprise?” Selina repeated.

Jiro nodded and stood up from his chair.

“If you don’t want to go back when it’s dark, follow me,” Jiro said patting her shoulder before he left through the door.

Selina stuffed herself slowly as she watched Jiro gulf down his food as if it were nothing.

“Does staring at me make you hungry?” Jiro questioned then grabbed some chicken off a plate and placed them onto Selina’s plate. “I learned chicken is very healthy for you. Eat up.”

Selina stared at the extra food on her plate and without sighing did as told just to get everything over with.

“Where’s Joanne?” Selina questioned after the two of them had finished their dinner.

“I sent her somewhere,” Jiro told.

Selina questioned herself about what Jiro was really doing then got up from her chair and grabbed her plate. Seconds later she heard Jiro getting up from his chair and he anxiously grabbed the plate from her hand. She looked up at him and he just returned a smile which made her even more suspicious.

“You’re acting strange,” Selina said when she heard Jiro set the dishes into the sink.

Jiro laughed and walked back to get the other dishes.

“I just felt like doing some cleaning with my own hands tonight,” Jiro told.

“That’s why it’s strange,” Selina pointed out, “I don’t think you’ve ever cleaned before.”

Jiro looked back at her, “Yes, I have.”

“It doesn’t look like it,” Selina said watching him from her seat.

“Yes, I have,” Jiro repeated himself. “I have, and I have, and I have.”

Selina turned away without saying anymore.

“You wait here and I’ll be back,” Jiro told.

Selina sat silently in the kitchen waiting and waiting.

“What is he up to?” Selina wondered and suddenly the lights in the kitchen went off causing Selina to stand up panicked.

Before she could shout for help a figure walked in holding something with lit candles on it. Selina watched without moving. The figure came closer and when he set the object on the table she noticed it was a cake. The lights suddenly came back on and Selina stared at Jiro’s smiling face.

“Do you like it?” questioned Jiro.

Selina turned her gaze toward the cake. “My thanks to you” was written on the cake in red icing. Selina returned her gaze to Jiro still looking expressionless which bothered him, but he didn’t show it.

“What’s this for?” asked Selina feeling touched.

“Can’t you read it?” asked Jiro. “Are you playing dumb with me?” Jiro inched forward from his spot and searched her face closely. “No, I guess you seem alright. I’m just showing my sincerity towards you.”

“Oh, thanks,” was all Selina muttered.

Jiro looked at her and frowned then an idea struck him. He smiled and moved even closer to her so that his lips were just centimeters away from her. Selina stared back at him feeling heat overflow her uncontrollably. She gulped unsure of what to do. Before she realized it she felt something cold on her cheek and the next moment heard Jiro laughing as he moved away.

“I creamed you,” he teased.

Selina slowly moved her hand to touch her cheek and looked at her fingertips to see the whipping of the cake. Selina stuck her hand into the cake and jumped toward Jiro.

“You’re not going to get me,” he laughed turning away.

Jiro tossed his hands out to hold Selina back. As Selina urged herself toward him too fast she didn’t notice that she was pushing him backward with too much pressure that Jiro ended up tripping backward. Selina felt herself fall forward quickly and landed with a soft thump on top of him. Her forehead hit the floor above his right shoulder as Jiro knocked his head against the ground. Jiro moaned and the two remained in place while waiting for the pain to go away.

“Ow,” Selina mumbled as she rose her head up.

Jiro opened his eyes and looked up at Selina who turned to look at him. Selina felt herself heat up once more and quickly began to move aside, but Jiro grabbed her arm keeping her in her position. Selina felt her blood begin to rush wildly and felt her heart thump fast. Jiro moved his thumb up and wiped the cream off her cheek then smiled.