Dance Camp

Dear Diary, I am Fat.

“Hmm, this one… I guess I shall bring it too.” Cho Hee murmured to herself as she stuffed yet another item into her bag.

“How is your camp bag packing going?” Cho Hee’s mother asked as she popped her head out from behind the door.

“Eh, I am almost done.” She replied with a smile.

“Woah. You are bringing all that for a two days one night camp?” Her mother questioned with a shocked look.

“Umm….Everything seems necessary so I ended up putting them all in.” Cho Hee explained embarrassedly.

“Alright then… Sleep early, alright?” she reminded.

“Ne. Goodnight, mum.” With that, Cho Hee was left alone in her room.

Placing her bulky haversack beside her bed, Cho Hee plopped herself into bed.

“I wonder how the camp would turn out to be…”

The thought bothered her as she closed her eyes and tried to fall asleep. Hours later, the alarm clock rang and with a swift movement, it was snoozed. Dragging her sleepy self out of bed and into the washroom, Cho Hee started washing up.

“The camp should be fun.” Cho Hee reassured herself as she looked into the mirror with an encouraging smile.

Leaving home, Cho Hee set off for school with the heavy load on her shoulders. In about an hour time, she reached the gathering area. Most people were already there in their groups, all excited for the camp. Walking to a corner, Cho Hee sat down and settled the haversack beside her. As more people streamed in, the gathering area became increasingly noisy. Looking at everyone talking and chatting happily away made Cho Hee feel lonely.

It is funny how you feel lonelier in a crowded place.

“So… Welcome to the annual dance camp everyone!~ I assure you guys will enjoy yourself to the fullest in these 2 days.” Jiyeon said confidently.

Together with Myung Soo and other executive members in Sparklex, Jiyeon was the main organisers of the annual camp. At her ‘opening speech’, everyone clapped and cheered loudly in response.  

“So now all girls would report to dorms …”

“Guys, follow me to…”

“Report back here by…”

Instructions were given out one after another and everyone made mental notes once in a while. After which, everyone was dispatched to their respective places. A reasonable time was allocated for the campers to unpack their things.

“It’s time to report.” One of the girls announced.

“You’re right. Let’s go.” One of them replied.

“But she is not back yet.” Someone pointed out.

“Does she matter?” The person asked with an amused laughter.

“True. Let’s go then.” The girl replied with a laugh too.

Everyone placed their things away and left the room together. Returning from the washroom, Cho Hee found herself all alone in the girls’ dorm.

“Where did everyone go?” she asked herself.

It seemed like she was talking to the walls at that point. Looking to the ticking clock for some time,  Cho Hee finally realized that it was actually time to gather. Half-running, Cho Hee returned to the gathering venue to find herself all alone, yet again. Leaving the area, she began predicting where the others might have gone. She would run to one place thinking they were there but to face another disappointment. Running from one location to another, sweat started soaking her shirt and she felt tired.

At that instant, she felt like just sitting down and waiting for others to find her. However, she knew better. During the search for everyone else, she felt like she was running and running just to be ditched time and again. It felt horrible to know how she was conveniently forgotten and left behind by everyone. She didn’t know why she was still running about like an idiot when she knew they preferred her absence to her presence.

If only they remembered…

“There are just too many people in Sparklex so they probably didn’t realise.” Cho Hee told herself, knowing very well that this was far from the truth.

“That was a great one!”

“Cool!”

“I didn’t know you could do that!”

Cho Hee heard people shouting and cheering vaguely from afar so she traced the source. Finally, she saw signs of the dance group members. It seemed like they were having a mini dance battle at the open space. The group was split into two and everyone was cheering loudly. All eyes glued on the two ‘representatives’ who were dancing to their best ability. Everyone seemed to be having immense fun. Moving closer to the group, the people started to take notice of Cho Hee whose hair was in a mess. The song was paused when Jiyeon signaled to stop the music.

“Oh, Cho Hee-ah, where did you go? Everyone was looking for you, you know…” Jiyeon said.

“I…I… was in the toilet. Sorry.” She said.

She wondered why she apologized but she still did nonetheless.

Maybe they really didn’t mean to forget me.

Maybe they really tried finding me.

Maybe it’s just me thinking too much.

“So which group would like to take Cho Hee?” Jiyeon asked.

Both group’s members exchanged glances and kept quiet. It was obvious how no one wanted her in their group because they thought she would be more of a liability, a burden than of help to the group. They didn’t want to lose even though it was a mini dance battle. Everyone was good and competitive in Sparklex. They didn’t need a black swan to pull the team down. Looking at the others, Cho Hee hoped so much that someone from either group would just step out and accept her into the group. She felt that she was just standing in the middle, unwanted and despised.

“Actually, it’s okay… I don’t really wan-”

“Cho Hee can join my group.” Someone said.

Everyone looked to source of the voice, surprised.

“I am tired already so she can take my place.” He said before walking off.

“Alright, let’s resume then.” Jiyeon said with a hint of disappointment underlying in her voice.

The music blasted from the speakers again and everyone continued with the mini battle.

“Thank you, Hoya oppa.” Cho Hee thought as she looked to Hoya with a thankful smile.

“Phews. I was just not at my top form and would probably have screwed the dance…Luckily, she came in time.” Hoya thought to himself, relieved.

Hoya was the recognized best dancer in Sparklex and this reputation was dear to him. He was a perfectionist when it came to dancing. He wanted to be the best but nothing less.

 

 

Author's Note:
Whee~ First update after I am off 'Hiatus Mode' :D!
Did you people like this update? :)
Hmm, I hope I didn't lose the touch in writing...:X
Please do comment, alright?
I would then be more motivated to keep the updates coming ~ ^^
Thank you so much for reading 'Dear Diary, I am Fat'.