Evening

Dear Diary, I am Fat.

Cho Hee looked up at those streaks of cloud decorating the salmon pink sky. Looking at the beautiful evening sky, tears built up in her eyes without her acknowledgement. This time, everything was going to really be over. Although she told herself she must remain happy until the very end, it was easier said than done. Lifting her head even more eventually made a tear slip out of her right eye.

“Unnie, would you like to buy a sunflower?” The kiddy voice from before asked.

Cho Hee looked down and brushed away her tears with the back of her hand. The little girl looked the same, with two braids on, smiling so brightly at her.

“Yes.” She replied with a weak smile.

“Hmm…It’s for free, just for unnie.” The girl announced as she shoved the sunflower in her hands.

“I will pay for it, you don’t have t-” Cho Hee tried to refuse, just like before.

“Yoomi wants to give it to unnie… But unnie, you should not cry because girls don’t look pretty when they cry. Umma always say that tomorrow will be a better day… Hwaiting, unnie!” The girl beamed before running off with small quick steps.

It was the exact same scene. A sadistic smile crept up Cho Hee’s face as she played around with the sunflower in her hands. She witnessed a petal fall from the stalk and land onto the ground. Seconds later, a passerby stepped onto it and left.

“Tomorrow… is the day.” She mumbled as fear struck the deepest part within her.  

After leaving the sunflower in the soil, Cho Hee made her way home. Night came by quickly without anyone’s attention. Time always acted on its own accord. It waits for no one no matter how much some people want it to stop passing or how much others want it to pass quickly. 1 day, 24 hours, 288 minutes, 17280 seconds is just so much, nothing more, nothing less. No one can change this timeless fact, just like how the sun will always rise from the East. Humans are not that capable after all.  

Cho Hee threw on her pajamas and collapsed into bed. Pulling the covers closer to her body, Cho Hee snuggled under her covers. She felt warm and secure and with that, she drifted off into dreamland or rather, somewhere else. Cho Hee smiled when she thought she sensed someone’s presence. A comfortable presence that brought a smile to her sleepy state.

 “Cho Hee.”

 

“Ary.”

 

“Tomorrow is the day.”

 

“Yea, I realized.”

 

“You are scared.”

 

“…Ary, can I ask you something?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Am I dead?”

 

“No, you’re not.”

 

How she wished the answer was something else.

 

“Where is the Cho Hee in this world?”

 

“…She’s dead.”

 

“What?!”

 

“She met with an accident. Her soul has left here. This is also the reason why I’m able to bring your soul here to take her place temporarily.”

 

“She’s dead and I’m taking her place. When I am gone, she’s gone from this world too. Am I right?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“I can’t stay here, can I?”

 

“We can’t help it. You know that, Cho Hee. You don’t belong here and can’t belong here.”

 

“I know and because of that, it hurts so much. To be brought to paradise and banished to hell.”

 

““I’m sorry for not being able to do anything more for you.”

 

“Please don’t be. It’s enough. Whatever you have done for me, it’s enough already. I understand it’s never up to you. I’m truly grateful for everything you have done for me. Thank you. Thank you for being there for me when I had no one, thank you for giving me a second chance and thank you for guiding me through this.”

 

“Life is unfair to you, Cho Hee. You’re such a nice girl.”

 

Cho Hee woke up to the sun rays shining through the glass windows exposed by the drawn curtains. It is a new day and also, the ending. Her mother had barged into the room and dragged her off bed. She practically shoved her into the bathroom and out of the house door. Reaching the school gates, Cho Hee returned smiles to those who smiled warmly at her. She wondered how long this scene would last.

“A few more hours.” She noticed.

“RRRIIINNNNGGGG~!!”

Cho Hee walked aimlessly and found herself standing before the studio door. Since she had already made her way there, she pushed open the doors. All the members looked up at her with expressions which she couldn’t comprehend. Then, Jiyeon came rushing in behind her with something in her hands. Throwing it onto the ground, everyone noticed it’s the school magazine. Jiyeon jumped high into the air ecstatically and shared the news.  

On the cover page was Hoya tying the blazer around Cho Hee’s waist and a heart shape border was around it. The members made funny noises and wolf whistling sounded amidst the commotion. Cho Hee noticed Hoya blushing and even his ears turned red. However, she didn’t know how and what she ought to react. She merely stood there without any expression on. Finally, she spoke up.

“Sorry, I got to excuse myself.” She said before rushing off.

“Awww~ She’s really shy!!” Some people teased.

When Cho Hee left the room, Myungsoo walked up to Hoya and said, “You should just confess already.”

Hoya’s eyes widened at his statement.

“I knew since before. You’re quite transparent, for your information.” L said with a smirk.

Hoya nodded and pondered about his suggestion for a moment.

Cho Hee locked herself in her room and drawn the curtains. The room faded into almost complete darkness. She cleared her thoughts and lay down on bed with her earpiece on. Soothing piano pieces were playing through her earpiece as she stared at the ceiling.

“Soon.” She muttered under her breath.

She couldn’t hear the door knocking but she could vaguely make out her mother shouting, “Cho Hee-ah, what are you doing inside your room?”

Removing her earphones, she said she would be coming out soon. Minutes later, she joined her family for dinner. There was no surprise when she saw Eunmi already seated at the table. The little girl looked up at Cho Hee for a brief moment before looking down at her doll. Cho Hee took the seat opposite Eunmi and started digging in. Her heart thumped harder than ever.

“Eunmi-ah, why are you not eating?” Cho Hee heard her mum asked.

Cho Hee stiffened and the little girl shook her head.

“Come on, tell aunt why you don’t want to eat dinner?” she tried to speak in a more patient tone.

Cho Hee stuffed more rice into until she felt like she was going to choke.

“I don’t want to grow fat like Cho Hee unnie in future!” She blurted out.

This is it. Everyone else fell silent and the house was engulfed in a scary silence. No one dared to speak and Cho Hee swallowed her food. Standing up with tears b in her eyes, she responded calmly.

“I didn’t choose to be fat.” She whispered before leaving for her room.

Cho Hee sat before her study desk and waited. It was on her own accord that she left the room the other day. Now that she could control her emotions and stay home, she wondered if that means nothing would happen. However, she knew she was being naïve again. Hope has long been erased from her dictionary.

“Can the accident be avoided?” she questioned.

Then, her phone vibrated. Picking it up, she realized it was Hoya on the line.

“This is Hoya.” he spoke.

“Hello.” She said and clenched her fists excitedly.

“Cho Hee, can you meet me down the streets where we parted that day? I have something to tell you.”

“Sorry Hoya, can you meet another day? I can’t leave home today.”

“Uhm, if I don’t say it today, I’m afraid I won’t have the courage to ever say it again.”

“…”

“I’ll be waiting.”

 

With his last words, the line went dead.

 

Author's Note:
I'm done with my work so I decided to type an update for this story. (:
It took a longer time than expected. Nontheless, I hope you enjoy reading.
One more chapter to the finale. Hope you guys are anticipating.
Thank you for your awesome response for the previous chapter. <3
I'm sincerely blessed to have you guys supporting 'Dear Diary, I am Fat' up till now.