... Whoa now..

A Love Like This [ H i a t u s ]

Author's Note: So, like, I seriously adore my new poster. X: IT'S SO CUTE. AND CHANGMIN.
HIS HAIR. SO. UNF! okayanyway.

Thanks for subscribing/commenting/reading. ♥.
And most importantly, sticking around! The last time I updated this was months ago. Heck, I lost half of the ideas I had for the plot. X: Well, for a week longer. ;___; Final exams <|3

Uh-oh. Here comes the drama. o:

- - -

 

Well, I pursed my lips. Oppa's not a complete idiot. He wouldn't automatically jump to the conclusion that Taemin.. proposed.. right?

"Tell me," Changmin swiveled to stare at me. "Am I an idiot for assuming that?"

Erm. Okay. Nevermind. I mentally slapped him, turning away to avoid his scrutiny. Maybe I shouldn't.  I bit my lip, remembering his stressful TVXQ promotions. I faced him, daring myself to look at him in the eyes but failing miserably.

The streetlight in front of us turned green, but we remained at a stand still. Oppa gestured for me to say something as he blatantly ignored the honking of car horns behind us.

"Does this lack of words mean that it's true?" Changmin raised his eyebrows, chest heaving. "Ryu Sonny-sshi, this better be a joke, or so God help me, I'll—"

"Oppa—" I began, leaning away when he started breathing on me. The overwhelming smell of way too many breath mints burned the hairs out of my nose. "It's nothing like that, really." I glanced up to give him a reassuring look, but he seemed to need more convincing. His red eyes were boring holes into my face. His gaze hurt, actually.

Wait. I put my hands down, staring my Oppa dead in the eye. Red eyes?

"Oppa, are you drunk? Have you been drinking?" I inquired as the street light turned red again. "Your eyes are blood red."

"Wha—stop trying to change the subject!" Changmin huffed, hands back at the wheel. "Besides, one shot isn't near enough to get me intoxicated—"

"Right." I heard myself say, hurriedly unbuckling myself and gesturing him to do the same. "I don't care, get out, I'm driving."

"Sonny, you don't even have an international license, much less an actual permit." Changmin laughed half-heartedly. "But I'm serious. I'm sober. Really. I'm just tired."

"Oh, okay then." I threw my hands up. "I can just picture the headlines: SM Artist Shim Changmin Falls Asleep At The Wheel And Crashes Through 8 Living Rooms With American In Front Seat. Hrm, a scandal in the making." I glanced at him from reading my imaginary newspaper.

Changmin gave me a long, reproachful look before unbuckling and stumbling out of the car. I followed suit after throwing my belongings in the back seat. I could hear him muttering in Korean as we circled the front of his car, and I understood absolutely nothing—he was speaking much too fast for me and my not-native ears to comprehend. I smirked, jumping into the driver's seat. The traffic light flashed green just as the car doors slammed shut, and I glided Oppa's silver BMW through the intersection and on down the main road.

"I didn't know you could drive." Oppa said after buckling up. "I didn't know you could even see over the dashboard."

"Neither did I." I joked, even though I remembered all the times I stole Umma's car when I was too tired to take the public transport.

Awkward silence. I cranked the wheel left.

"You know," Changmin began again, voice becoming cloudy with sleep. "I was only kidding when I said chicks marry guys like their dad."

"Yeah." I sighed, all hopes of this being a quiet ride home shattered. "Of course."

More awkward silence. I paused for two seconds at a stop sign. I saw Changmin lean back comfortably in his chair. My shattered hopes suddenly pieced together when the thought of him taking a nap for the duration of the ride popped into my head.

"So..." Oppa started up again after ten minutes. Ugh. I bit my lip, turning unto my street. "When's the weddin—"

"OPPA." I stomped on the brakes as I pulled into an empty street parking slot in front of my building. "There is no wedding! Taemin didn't propose! That box you saw? That's a pair of earrings! Now will you just drop it?!" I blew my bangs out of my face in frustration, wondering why I lied about it. "And think about it, if that was an engagement ring. Wouldn't I be wearing it?"

I turned to stare at Changmin's blank face. Damn, this dude's completely out of it.

"And you're staying over at my place tonight." I sighed, turning off the car as I got out and gathering my things from the backseat. I picked up the box that held the couple's rings and deftly shoved it into my pocket. "I don't wanna be responsible for a death." Slamming the back doors shut, I sauntered over to the passenger's seat. "C'mon, sleepy head. Let's go upstairs." I knocked on his window.

"Sonny-ah," A soft look appeared on Oppa's face as he stepped out. "You're right, I'm sorry." He said in this monotonous tone as he patted my head.

Aish. Changmin-oppa, you loser. I nodded, taking his hand for fear he'd wander off in his sleep-like state. Maybe his promotions are a little more than too stressful. 

And without another word, both of us walked through the lobby and stepped on the elevator. The doors ding!'d shut and Changmin leaned against the mirrored wall behind me.

"Are you hungry?" He asked with this dreamy look on his face.

"No, and neither are you." I dragged him with me as I stepped off the lift. How does he go from maddeningly-wide-awake to I-can't-keep-my-eyes-open-to-save-my-life in a matter of minutes? Literally. I sighed, jamming my key into the lock and flinging the door of my apartment open. Well, this is Changmin. I flicked on the lights, remembering Yunho talking about how heavy a sleeper Oppa was. "Make yourself comfortable." I said nonchalantly as I slipped out of my sneakers. "Do you wanna wash up befor—"

"Nahit'scool." He said, slurring his words together as he kicked off his shoes. Oppa began to peel off his jacket and layers as he made his way to the living room.

I tossed the shirts and my jacket into room and walked into the bathroom as I heard Changmin flopping himself onto my little couch. In the middle of brushing my teeth, I poked my head out of the door and I could see his feet dangling over the armrest. Smiling a little, I continued washing up and went into my armoire for a pair of basketball shorts and a tanktop.

On my way out of my room, I stubbed my toe on something stiff and metal-ish in my jacket pocket on the floor. I picked up my red letter jacket and dug around for the "box of earrings" which I placed with care on top of my desk. Humming a little tune, I stepped quickly through the living room to double lock the door.

My hand paused over the light switch when my gaze landed on Changmin sleeping sprawled over the couch. His face was shaded by a mat of hair, and his arms were crossed. I walked over, picking up his jacket and button-up layer and folding them neatly on the dining table. Stepping over Oppa's dangling feet, I crossed the room back into my bedroom to grab a blanket for him.

"Noiwantthesteak." Oppa murmured in his sleep as I re-entered the living room. "Waiti'mnotdonewiththatpleasedon'ttakeit."

I smirked, hearing his one-sided conversation about food. He must be really tired. I stepped forward and laid the blanket on him, although it only covered from his ankles to his chest.

"Junsuhyunghaveyoutriedthelobster?" He laughed. "Jaejoonghyungcookedit. It'sgoodisn'tit?"

I laughed along with him, even though it was a bit creepy. Really, really tired. Then I crouched over near his head.

"Changmin-oppa," I whispered. "Yoochun-oppa keeps stealing my ribs!" I whined into his ear, barely keeping my composure.

"HYUNG!" Changmin boomed so loud it seemed he was awake. "STOP TAKING SONNY'S FOOD! THAT'S NOT NICE."

THAT'S NOT NICE. I stood up and bit my finger to keep from laughing out loud. My goodness, Changmin's such a weenie. Collecting myself, I crouched back down and brought my lips to his ear.

"Oppa!" I squeaked harshly. "Now they're picking on me!"

"Don't worry, I'll protect you." Changmin moved and murmured in reply. "I'll protect you from everything—from everyone. Saranghae (I love you)."

Huh? I fell backwards on my rear, but my arm was being held in Oppa's grip. And it actually kind of hurt. Even Zayn doesn't say stuff like this, I bit my lip. Is he awake?

Wrenching my arm away and not even bothering to turn off the light, I stood up and ran back to my bedroom. I shut the door quietly, putting my weight against it. My chest was pounding as I sank to the floor.

Why am I bothered by this?