When You Assume, You Make An Out Of You And Me

A Love Like This [ H i a t u s ]

Author's Note: Thanks for subscribing/commenting/reading. ♥.

HEY. YOU.
Yeah! All you Shim Changmin lovers!

Here's a story just for you!
You Had Me At Hello
Hope you enjoy it just as much as you enjoy this one. (:

- - -

 

"Yo!" Yunho smiled, nodding his head in greeting from where he sat behind the coffee table. On the couch next to him, Changmin fidgeted in his sleep. 

Minho waved at me from the kitchen island, and resumed to watching Onew devour his fried chicken. I chuckled, stepping into the living room.

"Ryu Sonny-ah!" Someone blocked my way, hands on hips, puppy dogs eyes boring holes into my face.

"Dino-boy!" I patted Jonghyun's head, side-stepping him to find myself being yanked into the kitchen.

"Sonny," Zayn looked at me, his grey eyes pored into mine. "Why'd you turn off your phone? Mom and Jun's been calling me nonstop about you. They said Kirra got sent to the ER, did you know about that?"

"Uhh," I bit my lip, hand flying to my necklace. "Yea—"

"And you turn off your phone?!" Zayn huffed. "You're lucky Kirra's okay; if she had died this would've been on you."

We stood by the fridge. Our stiff stares had such an intensity, like, I can't even begin to describe. What am I supposed to do?  I shook my head, breaking eye contact and looking at the back of Minho's head from the doorway. Drop everything here to take a plane back and sit by her bedside whenever she gets sick? A little voice in the back of my head told me off as if I needed to be reminded of how awful a sister I am. 

Zayn sighed, ending our little conversation, and the merriment in the next room started up again. "Nosy eavesdroppers." My brother muttered as he ran his fingers through his jet black hair. He reached for a water bottle on the counter behind him, and turned back with an excitement that matched a child with their first taste of sugar. His grey eyes were alight with curiosity. "So, what's all this I'm hearing about you and Taemin?"

"Nothing." I waved it off, leaning against the counter. "Relax, Kuya. Get your big-brother thing on him, not me."

"Who's going big-brother on you?" Zayn laughed. "I'm just curious. Your life is your life, I can't change that nor am I gonna baby you about it. Just be careful, you know. I've got nothing against Taemin; he's a good kid."

"Wow, thanks, mom." I tilted my head to the left, laughing a bit.

Zayn held the bottle to his lips, inspecting me with careful eyes. "So you two took off on your own earlier. Hopefully to do nothing naught—"

"KUYA!" I shrieked, pushing the water bottle into his mouth. "OF COURSE NOT."

"Juuuuuust saying," My brother stalked off into the living room. "And if he hurts you, tell me; I'll break his baby-maker."

"YAH! ZAYN, THAT'S MY SON." Key stormed past the kitchen doorway going in the same direction as Kuya. Taemin was trailing behind him, being dragged along by his ear. "YOU BREAK HIS BABY-MAKER, I BREAK YOUR FACE..."

Taemin saw me as he flew by, making a cute Help me! face. I laughed a little, tiredly putting my weight on the counter behind me.

"Hey," Changmin appeared, leaning nonchalantly against the door frame. Oppa's head swiveled from the little situation going on outside in the living room. His bleary eyes clouded from sleep focused on me. "So what didn't Zayn say that I have to?"

"Eh?" I bunny-hopped my way in front of him. "Big-brother-ing's for squares. Are you a square, Shim Changmin-sshi?"

His sleepy face twitched with agitation.

"No? Perhaps a rectangle. Are you a rectangle?"

The corners of his lips threatened to break his perfect façade.

"Ah? Maybe just a circl—"

"You." He said in a thick voice. "Are giving me a headache."

"Oppa!" I mock-punched his tummy, grinning like the Cheshire cat. "That's my job!"

"Along with driving me crazy." Changmin grimaced, again rubbing his eyes. "The hell were you thinking? Running off like that earlier?"

"Oh," I shrugged, stepping back a little. "Sorry, Oppa. Didn't mean to make you worry like that."

"Worry." Changmin scoffed, roughly poking my shoulder. "Am I the only one here concerned?" He said in a low voice. I looked up inquiringly at him, but he just shook his head sleepily, swinging his car keys around his finger. "Yeah, well. It's getting kind of late. You need a ride?"

I nodded, scratching my arm nervously as I stepped into the living room. I stopped mid-step seeing Taemin being grilled like a suspect on the couch. The bag that contained our matching shirts was overturned and its contents spilled out onto the coffee table. Yunho and Zayn were picking curiously at the pile of clothes, comical expressions were being exchanged. Onew... was still eating chicken, and Minho was sitting next to Jonghyun and Key. The three were poking Taemin's cheeks as if that were a torturing method.

"You want to take her where?!" Key roared in a whisper, clinging to Jonghyun's arm. "Tell him it's too soon for something like this!"

"Well," Minho turned slightly, shaking hair out of his eyes. "It's only a few months from now; let's see how it ends up then."

"I don't think it's that bad." Onew said between bites from the kitchen island.

"Jinki-yah!" Key swiveled to glare at SHINee's leader. "You'll agree as long as you get chicken!"

Take who where? I leaned by the wall, not wanting to attract any attention to myself. Light footsteps rounded the corner behind me, and I knew Changmin was listening in as well. We smiled devilishly at each other. I cleared my throat, resulting in everyone freezing and looking at me like they were children caught doing something bad.

"Oh, hey." Taemin broke into a grin, springing towards the coffee table and picking out my shirts. "Leaving so soon?"

"Yeah." I smiled brightly. "Thanks for today, I had fun."

"We should do something like this again." Taemin bounded towards me. He put the shirts into my arms and kissed my forehead. "Get home safe."

I looked up at Taemin, smiling lightly after I made a sour face at my brother. I bade my goodbyes and turned stiffly. Changmin held the door open for me, and together we left the apartment.

Take who where? I repeated in my head, curiously wondering what they were talking about.

 

 


 

 

"So, your sister's okay, right?" Changmin said over the car radio.

"Yeah," I sighed, getting comfy in the passenger's seat. My neatly-folded shirts were settled on my lap, and Changmin stole a few glances at them as he drove me home. "This is somewhat normal, y'know." I sighed, remembering how lethal Kirra's asthma can be. "I guess the anxiety's making it worse for her. If this keeps up, I might have to fly back."

Oppa mmhmm-ed in sad agreement as he turned left onto the main road. "Hopefully you won't, though."

"Hopefully." I nodded, feeling the little black ring box that contained the couple-rings I bought earlier in my back pocket dig into my skin when I fidgeted. I pulled it out and put it on top of the pile of clothes, resulting in Changmin giving a loud gasp and an abrupt break that sent the car to a screeching halt. He pointed at the box.

"W-w-why!?" He sputtered, ignoring the honk's from the cars behind us. "Is that what I think it is?"

"What?" I looked at Changmin, glancing between his pretty face and the green-blue traffic light turning into a blaring red.

"Did Taemin already.." He drifted off, hand over mouth. "Did he already.."

I crossed my arms, waiting for him to continue.

"Isn't this too soon?"

I raised an eyebrow.

"It's only been a day," Changmin composed himself, clasping his hands together. "And Taemin proposed to you?!"

"W-wha—" I paused, mouth agape into a very round O. Changmin's eyes were wide, expecting an answer, and his face was contorted with a mix of confusion and disbelief. I snapped my mouth shut, wondering why everything in my life is a complete misunderstanding. 

Let's add to the confusion. I thought evilly, bringing my hands up to my face to cover already-forming-smile. What if I say yes?