Spoiled

Driven To Despair

During lunch, Krystal was hiding in the girl's restroom. She did not want to meet Fei, Jia, Min, or Suzy. She did not want to be humiliated in front of all those people. Earlier, she gave the librarian the ruined book and tried to explain, but then the librarian kicked her out and forbid her to come into the library until she was able to pay for the book. Krystal nibbled on her baby carrot, feeling sick and queasy. Eating in the bathroom stalls and sitting on the dirty, wet floor wasn't a pleasant place to eat your lunch.

"She's so pathetic." Krystal's ears perked up. "I mean, come on. Four girls are bullying her, and she can't even talk back. She only cares about her stupid book. I mean, hello? It's just a library book! She can get another one! She should've just thrown that book back to Suzy."

"Wait, who are you talking about?" another voice asked. Krystal stopped eating. She recognized that voice. The first voice belonged to the school's "sweetheart" Son Na Eun, and the second voice belonged to Na Eun's closest friend, Kwon So Hyun. 

"I'm talking about Krystal," Na Eun said. Krystal cringed at the sound of her name coming out of Na Eun's mouth. "She's really weak. I remember when I was in kindergarden with Krystal, she was the first person to greet me. She saved me from being bullied by a a couple of other guys."

"Ah, I see. During first grade, I was so nervous, I forgot to bring my lunch. Krystal gave me her sandwich. By the way, her sandwiches are really good," So Hyun added. Krystal stared down at her lunch. She didn't even touch her sandwich yet. A small smile crawled on her face as she continued to eavesdrop on the girls.

'But of course, friends go on," Na Eun said. "That's what happens if you're spoiled."

Immediately, the smile on Krystal's face faded and was replaced with a terrified expression. So Hyun giggled in agreement as the two left the bathroom. Krystal stared at her sandwich with empty eyes. After finishing off her last carrot, she grabbed her sandwich and began to rip it into little pieces of crumbs. Then, she flushed her ruined sandwich and walked out of the stalls. She quickly washed her hands, and waited for two seconds for the bell to ring.

 

It was chemistry. The teacher had asked everyone to be paired up. There were in total of 29 people in the class. That meant everyone but one person could be paired up. Minho watched Krystal, who sat in front of the classroom. Everyone scattered to find a friend, but not Krystal. Instead of acting cheerful and trying to get up, she looked lost and scared. Minho was just about to go to Krystal until Taemin grabbed Minho's hand.

"Hyung! Let's be partners! Sulli got stolen by someone else," Taemin said, glaring at the Chinese girl in the back. Victoria just waved, batting her eyelashes. Minho was just about to speak up until the teacher clapped his hands.

"All right, everyone! Take a seat with your partners," the teacher yelled across the room. Everyone obediently (and excitedly) obeyed the teacher. The teacher scanned around the room, only to see Krystal quietly staring at the ground.

"Soo Jung-ah, do you not have a partner?" the teacher asked. Krystal shook her head, her cheeks red in embarrassment. The teacher scanned around the room, trying to find if anyone was willing to let Krystal be in their group.  "Will anyone allow Krystal to be in their group?"

Everyone turned away. They all quietly groaned and ignored Krystal's dreaded face. Krystal scanned around the room. She met Minho's eyes for just a second, but then quickly met eyes with L. She gave L a hopefully look, hoping that he would be kind enough to offer her to be in their group. L glared at her instead, and Krystal turned her head back to the front. She smiled at the teacher weakly.

"It's okay, Mr. Park. I can do the assignment myself," Krystal told him. The teacher shook his head.

"This is a group assignment, Miss Jung. I will not have you work alone–"

"We'll take her!" Everyone's heads turned to Minho, who raised his arm high in the air. Taemin's eyes widened, as Minho gave the teacher a serious look. "We'll take her in our group!"

"Are you nuts?" Taemin hissed. "She's a freak–"

"Okay, it's settled. Now, your group assignment is in your textbook, page 345. Just follow the direction, and you should have something like the following video I will show you." Mr. Park turned off the light and pulled out the T.V. from the corner of the room. With a press of the button on the T.V., he turned it on and a science video started to play. Krystal wanted to thank Minho. She felt less humiliated and actually felt that someone cared for her.

She opened to whisper something, but could not say anything. She closed , and then smiled a bit. L, who was at the back of the room, watched Krystal smile to herself. He couldn't help but feel relieved. He grinned idiotically as he glanced at Minho.

Thanks for allowing Krystal to be in your group. L smiled, and then turned his attention back to his friends..