Dinner With Sharp Tongues

Driven To Despair

As Kai had promised, he had picked up Minho, Krystal, L, and Suzy to the restaurant. They were surprised to see him riding a limousine, and Suzy was the only one who complimented Kai for his good sense of choosing cars. Kai only returned a smile, and turned to Krystal and L, who sat at different ends of the car. Minho, who sat between them, shifted his feet uncomfortably until Kai handed him a can of soda.

"Want some? It's refreshing," Kai offered. Minho smiled and shook his head.

"No, it's okay. I'd rather have some water…" Minho stopped when Kai handed him a water bottle. Minho slowly accepted the drink, not knowing where Kai had suddenly got the drink. He twisted the plastic cap and began to drink, eyeing on the host, who had his eyes on Krystal and L. L, who had caught Kai staring at him, narrowed his eyes.

"Where's Suzy's phone?" L suddenly asked. Kai laughed, and leaned back. He pulled Suzy's small phone from his pocket, and tapped it in the air.

"You're looking for this?" Kai asked. Suzy was just about to reach for her device until Kai pulled back. The young girl stared at Kai quizzically, wondering why the man wouldn't give her phone back. "Not yet. If I give this to you, you two are going to leave."

"I can just leave right now," L threatened.

Kai responded with a wild smirk. "I doubt it. Remember, it's a fancy restaurant. Won't you be embarrassed if you're leaving without being satisfied in that glamorous outfit of yours?"

The car stopped, and Kai's driver opened the door. L clenched his fist and backed down, unable to reply to his old friend's words. Kai beamed, feeling victorious, as he got out of the car. He waited near the vehicle for the ladies to come out, and gestured them into the large restaurant. L and Minho silently followed behind them, attracting attention from other woman for their dazzling appearance.

"Sit," Kai commanded once they found their reserved seat. Krystal and Suzy sat next to each other while Minho and L took a seat across from them. Kai made himself comfortable at the head of his table, and two of his guards entered the private room. The closed the door and stood near it, blocking anyone who wanted to go out. The atmosphere became strangely quiet, for no one dared to speak in the silent room. 

"It's only dinner and we're leaving, alright?" L finally told Kai. Kai looked up as the chefs began to serve dinner. He gave his old friend an innocent look, as if he wasn't expecting him to say such a thing.

"Oh? But we must dine until we get drunk-"

"Just because Krystal's sister drinks, doesn't mean Krystal does!" Minho blurted. He paused, then flushed his cheeks as he looked away. "We're underage…"

Kai grinned. "Oh, I know Jessica from the bottom of my heart. She's changed… a little. Still! We'll drink some soda instead."

"I'm on a diet," Suzy responded bluntly. Kai narrowed his eyes, shadowing his dark orbs with the tips of his bangs.

"And your point is?" he asked with a hint of threat in his tone. Suzy froze and stiffened as she began to shake with fear. She glanced at L for some support, but her boyfriend sat still, being a coward like had had been. 

"I-I'll…"

"She's on a diet, Kai," Krystal interrupted. "Leave her alone. Get her some water or something."

Kai turned his head and faced Krystal, giving her a small smile. "Oh? Is that it? Then why didn't she say so?"

"Idiot," Minho muttered under his breath, looking away as he finished his bottle of water. Kai growled at the man, as his guards approached Minho while cracking their fists. Minho shot them all a glare, telling them to back off.

"Watch your mouth," L warned him. 

"What? I bet you were thinking the same thing," Minho snapped back. L stood up from his seat, ignoring the plate of steak was placed in front of him.

"Yeah, maybe I was. Maybe I was thinking how he's an idiot for not remembering how I hate fancy places. Maybe I hate him for taking making us wear these stupid clothes. Maybe I hate this. Yeah, I do hate this, but at least I know when to say the right words and the right time."

"Right words at the right time?" Suzy blurted. She scoffed and rolled her eyes as she placed her knife and fork down to the side of her plate. "Please. You don't even know half the things you're saying. Right words at the right time? Really?"

L clenched his fist. "Are you bringing up that topic again? Didn't I say that I was sorry?"

"You lied to me, L! You lied to me and you said that you're sorry, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm hurt!"

The candle standing between L and Suzy glowed fiercely, as if it was eating up their anger instead of air. The couple's relationship became tense, and Krystal gently reached her hand to pull Suzy down back to her seat. However, when the tips of her fingers brushed against Suzy's skirt, the woman slapped away her hand. Krystal gasped, and pulled her hand away as she looked down hopelessly at her steak. Minho, who didn't want to get involved, looked down, cutting his meal and chewing it slowly, savoring the flavor of the juicy meat.

"Guys, come on! You guys are a couple; and lovers meant for each other! Sit down and enjoy the steak and the soda," Kai told them, waving his head for them to sit calm down. L growled angrily and slowly sat back down at his seat. Suzy raised her nose and began to slice her steak, pretending as if L did not exist in front of her at the moment. Silence took over the conversation. The dimly lit room seemed darker than it had been before, as if it was cowering from the argument that had taken place between L and Suzy. 

"Krystal, you can't cut your steak?" Kai finally asked. Everyone looked up at Krystal, who was barely halfway with cutting her first piece. She flushed in embarrassment, staring down at the red table cloth. Kai laughed and leaned closer to her. "Still dependent on others or what? Tell, me who's your latest victim-"

"Kai, shut up and just eat," L replied, popping in a large piece. Minho nodded his head in agreement as he switched his plate with Krystal. Krystal, not sure what to do, sat still, watching Minho cut her steak for her. As soon as he finished slicing the meat, he exchanged her plate with his and began to eat. The woman poked her fork into the steak and took a bite. Her eyes widened, glistening in awe as she realized how great the dinner tasted.

Suzy enviously stared at Krystal, wanting to do something to make her feel miserable. This isn't fair, she thought. I should be showered with love. L should be cutting my steak! Why is she getting all the attention so suddenly? Do I not appeal to anyone's eyes?

"You know, everyone is so quiet," Kai replied, after chewing halfway through his meal. "Anyone want to share some new information? Like, what's been going on with life?" He turned to L and smiled. "L, want to say anything?"

L paused, then began to chewing while saying, "I hate you, Kim Jongin. Stop talking to me."

"Cold." Kai laughed lightly and turned to Krystal. "How about you? How's your sister? Your family?"

Krystal tensed up and turned white. "Ah…"

"Cat got your tongue?" Kai asked. Krystal turned away from his persistent gaze. "Figures, but I never thought that Krystal would actually have nothing to say. You had a sharp tongue, Krystal. A really sharp tongue."

"Sharp tongue?" Suzy interrupted. "Krystal never talks. What are you talking about?"

Minho stiffened. Please don't. Please don't bring up that topic-

"Oh? You didn't know? Krystal used to bully some kids when she was young. Oops, let me rephrase that. Krystal used to mess around with a few kids when she was younger. It was always me, her, and L. Well, mostly me and her. Did you know that Minho was a victim?" Kai started. L choked on his steak as Minho panicked. Krystal bit her tongue, unsure of what to do at the situation. Suzy, curious of L's and Krystal's past, stubbornly asked Kai for the full story.

"I never bullied Minho!" Krystal exclaimed, not remembering the time she had bullied her friend. She turned to Minho for some kind of sign of agreement, but Minho only stared down at his almost-finished steak. "Did… Did I bully you, Minho?"

Kai burst into laughter, causing L to make a disgusted expression. "Krystal, you seriously don't remember? Minho was the longest guy you messed around with! Remember the time when he told his secret to a close friend, but we heard it and told it to everyone else?"

Krystal covered her ears, dropping her utensils on the ground. "No… No, I don't remember. That's not me. Stop it."

"Remember how L told you not to dunk Minho with your orange juice, but you did? Then L snatched away your juice box and took over your spot so that he got in trouble? Remember? Remember that time?" Kai pushed on, bringing up the cruelest memories from the past. Minho held his breath, unable to look up into Krystal's eyes. Her eyes began to water and she shook her head.

"Stop it, Kai… J-Just stop…"

L turned around and faced Kai with utter hatred. "Krystal doesn't pick on anyone now, Kai. She became a victim after you left and ruined every thing."

Kai stopped, and turned to face his older friend. He stared at him in shock, his eyes wider than the smallest piece of steak he had cut for himself. He turned to Minho and Krystal. Both heads her hung low, ashamed or scared of the truth being blurted by the lips of the devil-like man. Kai frowned, and leaned back on his chair. He sighed boringly and sipped his clear soda.

"Really? I'm ashamed of you, Krystal. Man, Minho, you must be so embarrassed knowing how she used to bully you, and now she can't even touch you. So who's messing with Krystal?" Kai asked. Suzy quickly looked away, hoping that her name wouldn't be blurted out. 

"I've had enough with you for today," L snapped. "Give me Suzy's phone and we'll be on our way back."

Kai looked up at the towering man, who stuck out his hand. "Aw, but things were getting fun!"

L scoffed. "Fun? What's your definition of fun, huh Kai? Was it the time when your burned all of Krystal's dress in your backyard and told her to grab the burning dress her dear sister bought for her? Or was the time when you sent Krystal a blackmail and forced her to almost get run over by a car? Or perhaps it was the time when you told Krystal that knives are harmless and used to help people-"

"You remember all that?" Kai asked quietly. 

"I remember everything. Every damn little thing that you did to her," L hissed. He walked over to Kai, shoved his hand in his pocket, and grabbed Suzy's phone. He tossed the cell phone to its original owner, who caught it while stumbling a bit. Suzy sighed in relief once she inspected her phone if it had any scratches or not. "I'm leaving. This dinner ."

L left, followed by Suzy. Krystal shot up from her seat, thanked Kai for the meal, and walked away. Minho, too, followed their footsteps, giving Kai a glare before walking away. The four left the lonely man alone, dumbfounded and in deep thoughts.

He remembers all that, Kai thought. He sighed, and tilted his chair backwards a bit, drowning himself in some red wine that he had under his chair. That's going to be a problem…