The Jessica

Driven To Despair

Taemin was sleeping on Minho's bed, squirming and shaking. He had eaten tons of sweets, and it seemed to Minho and Krystal that the poor boy was having a nightmare. The two independently worked on the project, trying to finish up and add finishing touches to the poster. Minho occasionally glanced up at Krystal, trying to read her expression as if he wanted to know what she was thinking. When Krystal looked up, Minho would look back down, ask what she wanted, look back up from the long silence, and notice Krystal shaking her head.

"Hey Krystal…Did you ever know that I lived nearby?" Minho asked. He looked up and saw Krystal sadly nodding her head. He bit his bottom lips. "Did you ever thought of coming up to me to say hi?"

"No," Krystal said. Minho widened his eyes and was a bit startled. 

"Y-You talked."

"Yes."

"…But why didn't you talk before?" Minho asked.

"There was too many people," Krystal replied. Minho blinked his eyes. He looked around the room, wondering if someone in his family was spying on him. It was impossible. His father was at work, and his mother was helping set up her book club party. It was only him and Taemin in the same room as Krystal was in.

"Um…So two people are a lot of people?" Minho asked. Krystal paused for a moment, and then nodded her head.

This girl is kind of weird, he thought. He sighed and scratched the back of his neck. "Do you…want anything?"

"No thank you," Krystal answered.

"Nothing? Name anything you want. Frozen yogurt, milk, cookies, apple juice–"

"I don't like sweets," Krystal interrupted. Minho's eyes enlarged.

"You don't…I can't…Really? You don't like sweets?" Minho asked. Krystal nodded her head. "Is that why you're so skinny?"

Krystal kept quiet for a few seconds. "When my mom and dad were fighting, they were too busy yelling at each other to buy me any candy or junk food. My sister Jessica–" Krystal stopped, widened her eyes, and quickly went back to her work.

"Your sister? Jessica? I think I heard of that name before," Minho mumbled. He glanced up at the ceiling, while Krystal cringed her back. Suddenly, his eyes widened even bigger than it was before, causing Krystal to sink her back against the wall.

"Please don't…"

"Jessica Jung? You mean the Jessica? The girl who won tons of awards, had good grades, and average looks? The girl who suddenly changed after junior year for an unknown reason? The girl who now has a horrible reputation of being the worst girl in school, drinks alcohols and goes to parties all night, and looks beautiful?" Minho started to head towards a more descriptive description of Krystal's sister. Krystal kept quiet, and continued to glue and paste on her poster board.

This is exactly why I don't talk, Krystal thought, feeling her heart squeeze. Weird stuff just spills out of my mouth. I'm a horrible person. I can't keep secrets and unconsciously keeps telling others about the secrets. This is why I have no friends.

Minho stopped and whipped his head towards Krystal direction. He almost saw a grey, dark cloud floating above Krystal's head. He gulped and wet his lips, knowing that he said something wrong. Again.

"I mean…that just can't possibly be your sister, right?" Minho asked.

"Does it really matter?" Krystal whispered.

Shoot. I said something wrong again, Minho thought, noticing a dark shadow on her face. "No, it doesn't. I mean, there are tons of Jessica in this world, right–"

"Done." Minho peeked at the poster, but before he had to comment on it, Krystal got up and grabbed her back. She straightened her hair a bit and opened the door and pulled it open. Minho got up, poked Taemin to wake up, and followed Krystal down the stairs.

"Are you angry at me?" Minho asked worriedly.

No reply.

"I didn't mean to anger you. I just wanted to know if that was your sister."

Still no reply.

Minho heaved a depressing sigh. It made Krystal angry. Taemin lazily crawled down the stairs, his eyes droopy and weary.

"She's finally gone?" Taemin asked. He yawned loudly, covering his mouth. Krystal opened the door, slipped her shoes, and bowed at Taemin and Minho.

"It was nice working with you two. I hope you bring the poster tomorrow," Krystal said quickly.

"No, the pleasure was ours–"

"Goodbye," Krystal quickly said. She gave the two a painful expression and quickly ran down the street to her house. Minho blinked his eyes while Taemin rubbed his eyes.

"Man, I thought she was going to stay here all night," Taemin muttered. "Let's go eat some popcorn–"

"Oh no," Minho said, glaring at Taemin. "No more sweets for you."