The Third Amigo

Driven To Despair

"You probably know this, but my mother was a smoker. Did I tell you that? I think I told you that. She was one heck of a smoker. Smoked almost a whole pack in one day. Her hair began to look messy, her teeth were stained yellow, and now her perfume smelled like smoke. It was disgusting. Krystal and I had to lock ourselves in our room and open the window just to breathe. Then, there was this one time where Mom came home from a party at her work, drunk and cranky. She found Krystal and Myungsoo playing on Myungsoo's front lawn. Mom got mad when she saw Krystal dunking dirt on her hair just because Myungsoo said that it was fun. She got furious when she realized that Krystal had passed her bed time and was still outside."

Minho interrupted Jessica for a moment. "Wait, but I thought your mom didn't care about Krystal."

"She didn't until back then. She was drunk, too. Keep that in mind, frog boy. Anyways, she wasn't in the mood, so she stomped her way to Myungsoo and Krystal and told Krystal to go back home. At first, Krystal was having so much fun, she refused. Mom got extremely angry and picked up a baseball bat while pointing it near Krystal's head. Krystal got scared, and she ran behind Myungsoo's back. Now, we're talking about the time where Myungsoo was the good, brave boy. Myungsoo pointed out to Mom that it was child abuse to hit a child with a bat, and you know what my damn mother did to the boy?" Jessica raised her can of beer and glanced at Minho. Minho shook his head, but flinched when Jessica dropped the empty can with a loud bang!

Jessica scoffed, thinking how funny it was to mess with the frog-eyed boy. "She began to beat Myungsoo up. Grabbed her bat, started hitting Myungsoo, shouting and screaming how it wasn't child abuse and it was just punishment from the devil himself. I wonder how many alcohol she drank, but based on her actions, I could tell that she drank enough to become a maniac."

"Wait, you're mother started to abuse L?" Minho asked, dropping his jaws.

"Yes! Gosh, what does Myungsoo tell you these days?" Jessica scowled. "Anywys, Myungsoo had his arms around Krystal, who was already crying and sobbing her life out. Mom got extremely furious when Krystal kept shouting that she refused to go home, and so she grabbed her lighter that she used to light her cigaratte and began to taunt Myungsoo to let go. Back then, Myungsoo didn't know anything that was going on with Krystal's life. He was just another innocent child who knew that Krystal was upset and that her mother was angry."

"Your Mom burnt his skin?!" Minho shouted, standing up. Jessica rolled her eyes and walked to lay on the couch.

"My gosh, frog eyes! You're getting really annoying! Congratulatons, you're catching up with the story! Hooray!" Jessica cheered with sarcasm. Minho grimaced, and sat on another couch. 

"So your mother beat L up, then burned him, and then what?"

"That's all I know. His mom came, took L in, and Krystal wasn't allowed to visit L for a week. Then one day, L mysteriously came up to us with his mom and said that he wasn't allowed to play with Krystal because of our mother."

"I don't get it. Why is he a coward?" Minho asked.

"Because he blames Krystal for what my mom did to him! He fears Krystal just because of her mother, who she doesn't even want to relate with. It's insane, froggy! It's definitely insane! He's a coward who wants to run away, but there's no point of running away when Krystal is right there next to him! It makes absolutely no sense!" Jessica exclaimed. She threw back her head and groaned in frustration. 

"Should I be taking my leave or is there something else you want to tell me?" Minho asked. He felt that it was the perfect time to leave, yet he had a feeling that he should stay here just a bit longer. Jessica covered her eyes with her arm and waved her hand.

"Leave. I'm done talking to you. Talking about Myungsoo disgusts me," Jessica muttered. Minho nodded his head and stood up. As he turned his body away from Jessica, she quickly stopped him by saying, "There's another part to it, though."

Minho turned his head around in interest. "What?"

Jessica removed her arm from her eyes and narrowed them. "It doesn't matter now. He's gone, so things are safe."

Minho frowned. He didn't quite understand who Jessica was referring to when she said "he." He suspected that she was talking about L, but he also had the feeling that "he" was someone else. Minho thanked Jessica and took his leave, too confused to ask her another question. When he swung the door opened, his eyes widened in surprised as he met a familiar woman's eyes. 

Krystal looked up at the tall man, her eyes full of shock. "What… What are you doing here, Minho?"

Minho quickly shifted his body in an uncomfortable manner. "Er… I was planning to visit you and-"

"Did you… Oh my gosh," she muttered, then pushed Minho away from the door. She slammed the door on him, and from outside, Minho heard foot steps stomping farther to the other direction of the house. In moments, the house errupted into loud yells and screams, and all Minho did was stay still. He didn't move from his spot, nor did he sway his body.

The tips of his hair lifted themselves up when the chilly wind blew, but then his hair fell down once the wind disappeared into silence.

 

A week had passed. During the week, everything became strangely quiet. However, news and rumors were still lively as ever. When L came back to school from his suspension, Suzy had greeted him with smothering smooches and open hugs. He was more popular than ever, for the students admired the risk he had took for his girlfriend and the pathetic woman who didn't deserve to be saved. Minho had hung out less with Krystal because his friends had pulled him away from the so-called "witch."

On a particular Friday, Suzy had nagged L about how he had never invited her to his home.

"I really want to see your mother," Suzy pleaded. "She needs to know her future daughter-in-law!"

You're not her type, though, L had wanted to say. Instead, he had forced a smile and gently patted Suzy's almond brown hair. "Later, okay? Not today, but soon."

Suzy pouted. "That's not fair! I heard that some of your friends got to visit your mom. They said that she was a beautiful and wonderful mother!"

That's because they're blinded by how young my mother looks and fear how powerful she is. "Mhm. She's a lovely mother, indeed. I think you're more sweeter than her, though."

He pinched her tiny nose, causing Suzy to blush madly. L, however, was being sincere. Although Suzy had bullied his ex-childhood friend, she was definitely better than his mother. He would choose Suzy over his mother any time if his mother hadn't warned him how powerful she was with her words. Suzy sighed and hugged L's arm.

"I admire your mother," Suzy murmured. "She's the exact woman I want to become. Independent, but prideful. Someone who's strong-willed and brave. A woman who has a sense of time and order; a person who can look young through her busy and stressful piles of work."

L forced a small smile. "Lots of people tell me that. My mother is someone who practically rules this town. What else can I say?"

The woman's face, which once was filled with admiration, soon faded into a small frown. She heaved a sigh and glanced at her free hand that wasn't holding onto L's arm.

"So high and mighty. What a lovely woman," Suzy whispered to herself. L stopped for a brief moment, then cupped Suzy's cheeks.

"You are high and mighty, Suzy. You're as lovely as you can ever be. Look at yourself. You're popular and have control of the whole school. Don't be devastated by the things you don't qualify for. Be happy for who you are; be proud," L encouraged her. Suzy forced a smile, then nodded her head silently as the two continued to walk around the school campus. When the fellow couple met up with their friends, they had quickly enclosed their circle and shared gossips about what they had heard all over the school.

When Suzy laughed and glanced at L to tell him a joke, she stopped with a dreaded face. She quickly turned back to her friend, pretending that she wasn't trying to strike a conversation with her boyfriend. Lately, she had noticed that L had been looking somewhere else more frequently than he had ever looked out of their little circle. When she followed L's worried gaze, her eyes grew cold and her heart was overwhelemed with bitter jealousy.

Why is he glancing at her again? Suzy wondered, scrunching her forehead. For the years she had been in a relationship with L, she had always noticed that he was staring at another woman. 

A woman who she had despised all her life: Krystal.

 

Minho had put his black hood over his head, nervously scanning around the halls for any teacher who would force his hood down or if any of his friends were spotted. He knew exactly what his friends were planning to do to him. They had been dragging him away from Krystal ever time he tried to approach her. He couldn't imagine how devastated Krystal would be. 

As soon as he spotted Taemin glancing at his direction, Minho swiftly walked back and passed Key, who was obvlious of who Minho was under his dark hood. Minho smiled in satisfaction, and walked outside of the building, hoping to see Krystal somewhere outside. 

"Did you find him?" Onew asked. Minho jumped and whirled his body around, only to find Jonghyun and Onew talking to each other under a shady tree. Jonghyun sighed in frustration and shook his head.

"No. This is getting annoying. Why doesn't he understand how dangerous this is becoming for him?" Jonghyun grunted.

"There must be a reason why he hangs around Krystal," Onew suggestion. Jonghyun snorted and rolled his eyes.

"What? Dude, if you know Minho from his childhood, you would only understand why Minho would avoid her, not approach her."

"Why?"

Jonghyun raised an eyebrow. "Didn't you know? Krystal bullied Minho to the point where Minho had to ask to change his class or go up a grade level."

Onew widened his eyes. "What? Krystal bullies? That person bullies?"

"Mhm. I just don't want him to go through what he went when he was younger," Jonghyun mumbled. Minho walked away, his heart pounding with guilt. It was true that he had been bullied by Krystal when he was younger. He didn't understand why Krystal had bullied him, but she just did. 

That was in the past, though, Minho told himself. Everyone changes. Krystal changed, but she changed for the worse. I can change for the better, though.

With this thought in mind, he decided to check up on the school's roof, hoping that a few girls up there saw Krystal from above. The roof was an area that no one really went to. Gum was stuck to the ground, and bird poop stained the rooftop. When it rained, there was no shelter to support the hungry students, so everyone prefered to eat down on the ground, where either the classroom or a tree would provide shade for them.

When Minho swung the door open, he spotted Krystal standing still with her back facing him. Minho grinned, satisfied to see his friend here. When he stepped outside, he paused. There was an unusual atmosphere that floated above them, and Minho wasn't quite sure why Krystal stood as if she was paralyzed. His eyes then glanced up at a man whose skin was slightly tanner than Minho's pale skin. The stranger's messy dark hair didn't appeal to Minho, and the sunglasses the man was wearing only reflected what the man was seeing. When the man spotted Minho, he broke into a grin and smiled.

"Hey! Who's this dude?" the stranger asked. Krystal slightly jumped and turned her head around, almost angry to see Minho. Minho frowned, then walked over to the stranger. He turned to Krystal, and slightly grabbed her wrist.

"Is he bothering you?" Minho asked. Krystal kept quiet for a moment, then looked away with eyes full of betrayal. The boy slightly frowned as the stranger walked over to him.

"Ah… You must be Krystal's enemy or something. Let me guess, ex-boyfriend?" the man asked. Minho gaped at him. It was the first time anyone had suspected him dating Krystal, or ex-dating her. Behind the door to the school, the three heard a familiar, flirty giggle.

"L! What is it that you want to show me? There might be people on the roof!" Suzy's faded voice said.

"It's okay, Suzy! No one will be on the roof. Plus, I told you it's a secret present," L's voice echoed. When the couple swung open the door, they were equally shocked as Krystal and Minho were. L raised an eyebrow, wondering what the two were doing on the roof top, where no one would want to come up to. 

Suddenly, the stranger's face beamed and he quickly pulled Krystal away from Minho's grip and L from Suzy's hand. 

"Hey! We're back to being the three amigos!" the stranger exclaimed loudly. Krystal blushed furiously as L gave the new boy an annoyed expression.

"He said 'amigo.' Is he from Mexico?" Suzy asked, glaring at the new guest. The boy looked up at Suzy, then blew a whistle.

"Wow! Myungsoo, you got yourself a cutey! Who's she? Let me guess, your little maid?" the man asked. L's eyes widened in surprise and his eyebrows went up.

"How on earth do you know my name?" L snapped. The man sighed, then released his hug from L and Krystal. He clicked his tongue and pulled out his sunglasses. At that moment, Minho and Suzy noticed that L and Krystal grew tense. Words couldn't describe what these two ex-childhood friends were feelings. They were encountering an old obstacle that had disappeared long ago as soon as all the chaos had happened.

The stranger clicked his tongue again and crossed his arms. "Hey, I'm Kai, and I am not from Mexico. Now, I can't believe my two best friends forgot all about me! Dude, we were like this together!" 

Kai crossed his fingers and pounded it against his right chest. L turned extremely pale to the point where his legs shook with fear. Krystal's lips quivered, not knowing if she should cry with joy or cry with dread. Minho's eyebrows furrowed; he was unsure what to do at that moment.

Suzy, on the other hand, could only stare at the scene. She didn't quite understand what Kai had meant about Krystal, L, and him being "like this" together, but she knew from the bottom of her heart that L had some explaining to do.