Frostnip

Driven To Despair

"L!" L looked up and found his buddies running up to him. It was break, and he only had a few minutes to hang out with his friends in his classroom. He knew that a few students were in the room, and hoped that his classmates wouldn't be bothered by the loud ruckus his buddies would make. Among those few students was Krystal, but of course L pretended as if she never existed. 

"What took you so long to arrive at school? You almost missed homeroom," Sunggyu asked.

L just grinned. "Ah, I just had a quick errand to run in the morning. Anyways, what's up?"

"Suzy was looking for you earlier. Man, she was bawling the whole time. I thought I'd die if I stood near her any longer," Sungjong said, groaning as the memory flashed back in his head. L chuckled and smiled.

"Sorry. She's my girlfriend and I should've called her or something," L replied. L had been dating Suzy for only two weeks, and recently found out that she was the clingy type. But Suzy was popular, and by dating her, he was always in center of attention.

"Yeah, make sure you inform her next time. Otherwise, I'm really going to kill you for leaving us with Suzy," Woohyun threatened. L just laughed. He found it quite entertaining how his friends could amuse him with a small "threat."

"Okay, okay. That's enough. Anyways, you got anything to eat?" L asked. Woohyun took out a small bag of pretzels. L took it and opened it as he dug his fingers inside the bag to eat. "Man, when was the last time since I had pretzels?"

"Since almost never. You hate pretzels," Woohyun said.

"Yeah, but I'm too hungry to taste the flavor. I was running a lot," L replied, munching on his snack. Suddenly, he scrunched his nose. "Ugh, I think I'm tasting the salty flavor."

"Shouldn't you get water, hyung?" Sungjong asked, handing him a water bottle. L nodded his head and patted the youngest's head.

"Good thinking, little buddy," L replied, sticking out a thumb.

Krystal slowly looked up from her book that she was reading and glanced at L's fingers. She slightly gasped, and reached in her pocket to touch the gloves L had given her earlier in the day. Sunggyu seemed to catch what Krystal was seeing and widened his eyes. He quickly grabbed L's thumb and examined it.

"L, didn't you bring your gloves earlier or something? They said that it was going to be really cold!" Sunggyu exclaimed. L stared at his thumbs and his other fingers. The were slightly red, and L didn't notice them until now.

"They're probably red from the cold. I forgot my gloves," L lied. Krystal cringed her back.

"What?! You forgot your gloves? Man, you must be crazy," Dongwoo muttered. "Are they numb?"

"Yeah, they kind of are. I guess that's why I didn't feel or notice my fingers turning red," L mumbled.

"You better take care of that. It looks like frostnip to me," Sungyeol said. He pulled out a small heating pad and handed it to Lo. "Here, use it. This thing was warm, so I took it from my sister. It–"

"No!" Krystal blurted, standing up. Everyone stared at Krystal with a strange expression. Krystal was going to walk up to L, but because so many of her classmates were staring at her, her legs felt slightly weak. She bit her bottom lips, and slowly sat down. Face red, she stared down at her table and continued to read in silence.

"What's her problem?"

"She wants L's frostnip to get more serious? How cruel!"

"It's only a heating pad. Why is she making such a big deal?"

"She's just stupid, that's all."

Suddenly, the classroom was filled with whispers and murmurs. Krystal hid her face under her hair, blushing in embarrassment.

Stupid, she thought. How–

"Ya." Krystal looked up, and felt herself shaking when she met L's cold eyes. "What do you mean by 'no?'"

Krystal bit her bottom lips. She opened to speak, but nothing came out. She let out a quiet sigh, and shook her head. L frowned.

"You must've wanted to say something. Otherwise, you would've screamed for no reason," L replied. Krystal stared through L's brown eyes, and took a deep breath.

"Don't use the heating pads. It's going to burn your fingers since it's numb. Put your fingers in warm water for a while until you can feel your fingers," Krystal quietly explained. L gave Krystal a blank stare, and then cracked into a smile. He sighed and patted her head like a master patting a dog's head.

"You could've just said that instead of shouting to the class," L whispered. Krystal buried her nose into her book and ignored L's comment. L turned to his friends and gave them an assuring grin. "Apparently this girl knows more about frostnips than we do. Let's go to the nurse's office and ask for some warm water."

For a moment, his friends stared at L in doubt. Then, they nodded their heads and followed L out the door. Krystal let out a loud sigh, and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. It felt good to talk to L, but she wished that she talked to him like how she did in the past when they were kids.