Brat

Driven To Despair

"Hey lazy , get up." Krystal moaned tiredly as she looked up. There was her older sister, Jessica. In Krystal's opinion, Jessica, too, had changed just like L. Except Jessica had more of a bitter personality, and if Krystal was in trouble, Jessica wouldn't be there to pick her up. Her older sister had been messing up her life. She went to parties, dated hundreds of boys, and drank tons of alcohols behind their parent's back. The only one who knew about Jessica's drinking habits was Krystal, and she didn't dare to say a word to her parents.

Suddenly, Krystal scrunched up her nose. "Unnie…have you been drinking?"

Jessica rolled her eyes. "So?"

"Weren't you grounded last night?"

"So what if I was grounded?"

"…Unnie…"

"What." Jessica gave Krystal a cold, icy glare that made her stare at her sister in fear. "Look, I don't care if you're worried about me. Just leave me alone. If it wasn't for me, you probably wouldn't be alive."

Krystal kept quiet, as Jessica kicked the door open with her feet.

"I'm sorry," Krystal whispered, hugging her pillow. Jessica rolled her eyes once more.

"Shut up, brat," Jessica hissed. She walked away with a small bottle of alcohol in her hands. As soon as Jessica slammed the door behind Krystal, Krystal closed her eyes and let her tears trickle down her cheeks.

Whatever happened to calling me 'dongsaeng'? Krystal wondered sadly.

 

It truly was a cold, snowy morning. The roads were clogged up with snow, and the streets were filled with angry workers who continued to honk their cars. Krystal was thankful that her school wasn't far. If she needed a lift, Jessica would've been forced to drive her to school, and today wasn't the best day to hang out with Jessica. Krystal sighed, and rubbed her bare hands. How she wished that she brought her gloves. She was running a bit later than usually, and Jessica kicked her out of the house. Her stomach slightly growled, as she thought about the untouched breakfast she had made for herself.

"It's cold," Krystal muttered. She breathed on her hands, but it had no effect. She heaved a sigh, and then looked up at the sound of snow being crunched. When she looked up, she regretted meeting the eyes of her childhood friend. L paused for a moment, and then broke their eye contact away. He walked forward, and ignored Krystal's presence. She almost cringed.

Why can't we walk to school like when we were kids? Krystal wondered. She bit her bottom lips, which were now numb from the cold. She kicked some snow that were in her way, and watched L climb up the snow and smoothly walk down the small snow hill. Krystal sighed, and then put her hands in her pockets. I should've brought a thicker jacket.

The two walked silently with a large distance between them. Suddenly, L stopped, and Krystal had to urge to stop , too. 

Then again, Myungsoo probably forgot something from home. Krystal exhaled, and then continued to pass by L awkwardly. Right when she was about to brush against her shoulder with L's, he grabbed her wrist and put something fuzzy in her hands. Krystal looked down and saw a pair of large, black gloves. Her eyes widened, and stared at L's bare and rough hands.

"I-I-I can't…"

"Take it. Make sure no one notice it, though," L mumbled quietly. He walked away with his hands in his pocket, leaving Krystal dumbfounded. She stared at the gloves, and then slipped down on her hands. A delightful, warm feeling filled her heart as she smiled. Krystal wiggled her fingers, and felt the glove already heating up her hands. 

To Krystal, it was truly a miracle for L to do something like that. With a smile, she skipped to school, but continued to keep her distance away from L. 

But it didn't hurt to take a small step closer to fill up the distance between her and L, right?