Heard

Driven To Despair

Minho was picking up the scattered soccer balls around the field. It was his duty to clean up the field after the team finished practicing. Even though he wasn't exactly in the soccer team, he could only help clean up the soccer field and practice after school to improve. Many people even admitted that having Minho on the team was a good advantage, but the coach saw Minho differently. The coach believed that Minho didn't know how to work with the team and get along with them. Until Minho was able to communicate with the team, he would be on the bench, practicing a little during class, but mostly picking up the dirty soccer balls.

"Hey Minho!" Minho looked up and spotted Jonghyun walking up to him. Minho grinned and walked up to his friend. The two exchanged a secret handshake, then shifted their weight to one side.

"What are you doing here, Jonghyun?" Minho asked, curious.

"Oh, no reason. Just wondering if you were done cleaning." Jonghyun peaked over Minho's shoulder and spotted the empty, green field. "Seems like you're done, huh?"

Minho laughed. "Not quite. I still have to put this ball away and put away that bag back into the storage room. After that, I need to take a shower and I'll be heading to my next class."

Jonghyun whistled coolly. "Nice! Here, let me put that ball away and that bag. You go take a shower, alright?"

"Um…" Minho frowned, unsure if he should let Jonghyun take care of his responsibility. When it came to Jonghyun, he wasn't the most reliable person in the school.

"Aw, come on! You should at least trust me on this one. I promise I'll put it away!" Jonghyun exclaimed. Minho sighed in defeat as he handed the green bag and the soccer ball.

"Are you sure you can handle it-"

"Minho, it's only putting away a ball. No big deal. Now, go on! Take your little shower! After that, I need to tell you something," Jonghyun said. Minho just nodded his head and took off to the gym's room. There were a couple of his teammates either taking their shower or changing into their clothes. Minho quickly grabbed his shampoo and soap and ran to a free shower stall.

 

After Minho finished his shower and checked if Jonghyun had put away the sport equipment back in the storage room, he ran back to the field and spotted Jonghyun sitting down on the bleachers. Jonghyun looked up, and smiled at his friend. He quickly scrambled down the stairs and approached Minho with light steps.

"Finally! Do you take a shower this long?" Jonghyun asked. Minho let out a fake chuckle and walked back to the school's hallway.

"Maybe. I had to check up on something before meeting you," Minho replied. They arrived at Jonghyun's locker and found Onew waiting for the two. The bright boy smiled delightfully when he spotted Jonghyun and Minho only a few feet away from him. Onew rushed towards the two, and smiled dazzlingly.

"There you were! I had to wait forever! Jonghyun, here's my notes that you can copy," Onew said, handing Jonghyun a notebook. "Oh, Minho! A girl was looking for you earlier."

Minho frowned as Jonghyun whistled. A girl? Who would want to search for Minho?

"What? What are you talking about?" Minho asked. "How does the girl look?"

Onew shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know. She didn't look very important. I think she's new."

"A new girl?" Jonghyun asked, frowning. "I doubt it's a new girl. If it's a new girl, I would've known about it. You know how I'm always up to date with all the rumors and gossips around this school, right?"

"Whatever. I think she wanted to see you for something. She needed to talk to you or something," Onew said. Minho frowned, and bit his bottom lip. Who on earth could this girl be?

"Did she leave you her name?" Minho questioned Onew. Onew blinked his eyes.

"Um, I don't think so. I just know that she was looking for you. She looked really scared, though. I kept feeling some kind of weird poke on my arm, and when I turned around after five minutes, I found the girl poking her finger at me. When our eyes met, she looked like she wanted to scream and run. She looked like she was ashamed of letting herself talk to me or something," Onew explained carefully. Minho's eyes slightly widened.

A girl who looked scared? Someone who looked like a new girl? A girl who didn't' look important?

There was only one person Minho could think of who qualified for all these answers: Krystal.

He quickly turned around and took off before his friends could tell that he was gone. When Minho was halfway away from his friends, he heard Jonghyun shout, "Hey! I told you that I had to tell you something! Come back!"

 

Minho gasped for air as he found himself at the nurse's office. He spotted Krystal sitting down on a chair with the nurse quickly disinfecting Krystal's wounds. His eyes enlarged as he quickly walked up to Krystal. There were bruises all over her arm, scratched scattered around her legs, and there was a big, red mark on Krystal's left cheek. She looked exhausted, tired, and a lot more pale than before.

"Krystal…what happened?" Minho whispered. Krystal looked up, locked eyes with Minho for a second, then looked away in shame. The nurse sighed and looked up at Minho.

"Unfortunately, she was being harassed by a student named Kim Myungsoo," the nurse explained.

"No! It was Suzy! She was bullying be again!" Krystal blurted. "Myungsoo just took the blame! Why won't anyone let me explain?"

"Wait, who's Myungsoo?" Minho asked, frowning.

"L! Myungsoo is L's real name," Krystal said. 

"Why would he take the blame if it wasn't his fault? Wait, back up a bit. So she was being bullied by Suzy-"

"Myungsoo," the nurse corrected.

"No, it's Suzy!" Krystal exclaimed, correcting the nurse.

"Hold up! So Krystal was being bullied by Suzy, and then L popped out of nowhere and took the blame? Is this right?" Minho asked. Krystal quickly nodded her head as the nurse shrugged her shoulders.

"I don't know for sure. However, the teacher left me a note saying that Myungsoo was harassing two girls. Krystal was beaten up pretty bad and was on the ground when the teacher found her. The other girl, Suzy, had a sore wrist, and wasn't a big injury," the nurse informed Minho.

"Pft. Well, she made a big deal about her wrist earlier," Krystal muttered coldly. Minho his lips as the nurse smiled at him.

"Anyways, I'm glad that someone came to see Krystal. For a second, I thought that she didn't have a friend!" the nurse said, laughing. Minho cracked a smile as Krystal looked away.

"He's not my friend. He's just someone who helped me with my project," Krystal stated bitterly. Minho felt his heart drop as the nurse bit her bottom lip. Then, the nurse stood up and looked at the clock.

"Hm…Excuse me, but can you take care of Krystal for a moment? I need to grab something from the front office. It'll be quick. I promise. You won't be late to your next class. If you are, then I'll write an excuse for you," the nurse said. Minho bit his bottom lip and glanced at Krystal. Krystal gave him a pleading look, as if she wanted him to refuse the nurse's favor. Minho quickly ignored Krystal's puppy eyes and turned his attention back to the nurse.

"Sure. I don't have anything to do in my next class, any ways," Minho said. The nurse smiled and quickly left the room leaving Minho and Krystal under an awkward atmosphere. The room went quiet and the two avoided eye contact. They shifted their weight to one side uncomfortably, wondering who would speak first. Minho slowly took his seat, and stared at Krystal. He kept staring at her until she took a glance at him. She frowned, then scowled.

"What do you want?" Krystal snapped.

"Onew said that you were looking for me earlier," Minho said, resting his chin on his palm. "What did you want to tell me?"

Krystal's face slowly lit up. "He sent that message to you? Really? He was paying attention to me?"

Minho raised an eyebrow. "You like Onew?"

Krystal scoffed and rolled her eyes. "Me? Like Onew? No way! I'm just…happy."

A smile escaped Krystal's lips as she looked away from Minho. Minho studied Krystal carefully. He didn't see any blush on her cheeks, and he knew that she wasn't nervous or too delighted. When Minho caught himself staring at Krystal's smile, he realized how she looked like a pure angel when she smiled.

"Happy? Why are you happy?" Minho asked. Just seeing Krystal smile made him smile even more.

"Because…someone finally heard me speak. He didn't ignore me," Krystal whispered. Her whisper was barely audible, but fortunately, Minho was able to hear her answer because of the quiet room. At that moment, all he could do was stare and repeat what Krystal had said in his head.

"Because…someone finally heard me speak. He didn't ignore me."

How long has she been ignored by her own peers? Minho wondered.

 

"This is unacceptable!" the principal bellowed. L flinched, but tried his best to mask his face with a calm look. L never got bad grades or any marks in his record. It made sense why the principal was horrified with what L did. 

"So? It was only two girls…"

"Only? Myungsoo, you don't understand! Bullying Soojung and harassing Suzy? Mr. Kim, do you know any idea what you've been doing to these poor girls?" the principal yelled.

Yes. I have been accompanying Suzy by being her boyfriend and I have been ignoring Krystal for a personal reason, L thought to himself.

"I might even have to call your parents!" the principal exclaimed. L felt his heart stop and widened his eyes. "Then I'll have to expel you!… Actually, why don't you, Mr. Kim, call your parents? I'm sure that they'll be 'delighted' to hear about the mess you drove yourself into!"

L panicked. He quickly looked up and shook his head. "No! Please! Anything but calling my parents! I'll do anything! Please don't expel me, too!"

"I'm sorry, Mr. Kim, but I can't do anything like that. You have broke one of the most precious rule this school created. I'll be calling your parents right now, L. Please step outside," the principal said, motioning L to walk out. L sat still, his face completely white.

What in the world did I get myself into? L asked himself. Was this even worth to be popular?