Tomatoes

Driven To Despair

Krystal arrived to school two classes late, which disappointed the teachers. Fortunately, Krystal was one of the top and most trusted students, so she was able to make up an excuse for her late arrival. On the other hand, L had a bit trouble on convincing the teacher that he had some personal businesses to attend this morning. Krystal desperately wanted to help her friend, but knowing that her friend did not respect her helping him or worrying about him, she decided to leave him be. 

The classes were unusually calm for Krystal, which caused her to be more aware of her surroundings. Despite the fact that no one dared to approach her today, everyone had a hint of revenge in their eyes. Not only that, but some her rubbing their hands and whispering quietly behind her back. 

Possibly a bit too quietly.

When school ended, Krystal had received a call from Jessica. Her heart had beat with delight since Jessica hardly called her sister. Jessica had always left texts with rude and harsh comments, in which Krystal would keep reading and cry her heart out for being so pathetic.

"Go to the store and buy some more soda. Oh, and make sure you get some eggs, too. When I get home, I better see some omelet and grape soda on the table. The omelet better be warm, alright?" Jessica snapped.

"W-Wait! When are you coming back home-" However, Jessica had hung up before answering Krystal's question. Krystal sulked a bit, but then quickly brightened up. Jessica called me to cook for her. I should hurry home and prepare dinner for myself. Who knows, maybe we can eat together!

 

"Minho, join us for practice this afternoon!" someone shouted. Minho turned back and forced a smile.

"I can't! I need to get some groceries for my mom!" Minho replied. His teammates ran off without giving him a nod or any gestures. Minho didn't mind. He needed to get some tomatoes for the hamburgar party his parents were celebrating tonight. His father was given a raise a few days ago, and his mother's book club became more successful. It delighted Minho so much, he was enthusiastic to invite his friends over. He stopped for a moment, and slightly frowned.

Would Krystal come? What if she doesn't want to come? Did I make a fool of myself then? What if she doesn't respond? How about she wants to come, but she can't express the desire to come to this party? What if-

"Sir, may I help you?" a worker asked. Minho snapped out of his thoughts and widened his eyes. To his astonishment, he was already at the grocery store, holding a plastic bag full of snacks and drinks. Minho forced and smile, trying to remember what he was here for.

"Oh, yes! Tomatoes! Where can I find the tomatoes here?" Minho asked. The worker laughed quietly.

"I'm sorry, but we're restocking the tomatoes in five minutes. We sort of ran out. A few girls bought the remaining tomatoes for the other group of girls waiting outside," the worker explained. Minho nodded his head, deciding to use this time wisely to browse around the store. When he went to buy some toilet paper, he found an awfully familiar girl holding a bag full of tomatoes. He slightly frowned and spotted two other familiar students rushing to the entrance of the store. Dropping his bags, Minho followed the two with curiousity. 

In a few minutes, Minho found himself hiding behind a tree, eavesdropping on the two girls whom he had followed. He peeked from the corner of his eyes and quickly looked away, widening his eyes. It was Na Eun and So Hyun, and both of them were carrying bags of tomatoes. In front of the two girls was one of Krystal's bullies, Fei.

"Did you get what I asked for?" Fei asked, crossing her arms. Na Eun and So Hyun nodded in fear. Fei raised an eyebrow and glanced down at the bag. Fresh, ripe tomatoes sat still in the bag as the wind brushed itself against the plastic bag. Fei smirked and patted the two students like a puppy. "Good, you did your job." With a glare, Fei hissed at them. "Now move."

Na Eun and So Hyun obeyed, running away from the scene. They past right through Minho, but did not notice his presence. Minho glanced back at the scene, and widened his eyes. There was Suzy, Jia, Min, and Fei all circled around one very familiar woman. Minho clenched his teeth and quietly groaned to himself.

Suzy stepped up and narrowed her eyes at the poor, fragile girl. "So, Krystal. We meet again at the perfect place."

Krystal whimpered. "H-Hello, Suzy…" She yelped with Suzy kicked the tree Krystal was cornered against.

"Don't you dare 'Hello Suzy' me! What is wrong with you? Go tell everyone that you're the one who caused L's suspension! Go on! Go and tell!" Suzy demanded. Krystal's wide eyes told Minho that she was freaking out.

"I-I…I didn't do it-"

"Ha! That's just nothing. Don't you dare lie to us, Krystal. We know you're the own who started it," Min spat rudely.

"Admit that you're the one who did this! Know your place!" Fei added.

"Why are you even at this school? It would be a lot more peaceful without you," Jia agreed. Minho found Krystal shaking her body and turning pale. Suzy grabbed two red tomaties and tossed it in the air a bit. Then, with an evil smirk, she threw the tomatoes carefully against Krystal's shoulder. Krystal flinched and defended herself with her two arms. Krystal secretly peeked at Suzy, and diverted her attention away. Suzy's eyes were wet with her own tears, and Krystal could only keep silent and allow Suzy to put all her anger on the poor girl.

"Die, you liar!" Suzy yelled, her voice hoarse. "Just die!"

 

"Well, Myungsoo! It seems like we're invited to Mr. Choi's and Mrs. Choi's celebration party this evening. Make sure you keep a good image, and don't break down. I want you to show everyone that you're a responsible child who never did such a terrible task in the beginning," L's mother reminded him. L nodded his head emotionlessly and stared at the door. His mom was fixing his shirt, making sure that her son looked perfect.

"Who's that boy over there? Is it… Yes, it is! It's our handsome young boy, Kim Myungsoo!" L's father, who just came down the stairs, exclaimed. L was able to catch the sense of sarcasm that was dripping from his father's word. L faked a smile and nodded his head.

"Good evening, Father. How are you?" L asked politely. He almost threw up for smiling so realistically. L's father grinned back at him with the same fake expression L was giving him.

"Fine, fine. Are you ready for tonight?" his father asked him. L nodded his head humbly as he slipped on the new pair of black sneakers L's mother had provided him. L stared at the door, and slightly frowned. He stared at his parents, examining their every action.

A mother who presures me to be perfect, and a father who pretends to be a father. What a great family I have, Myungsoo thought sarcastically. This was nothing but a nightmare to him. He shook his head and opened his door for his mom, who gratefully thanked him, followed by his own father.