Getting To Know Miss Black Pearl

Stuck in the Middle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hey, you!” one of the guards yelled. I flinched back as the two stepped forwards. “This is a private building. What’re you doing here?” he asked strictly. I stuttered between my words. “Let me see your pass.” He said, extending his hand out.

I took a quick move and ran out from there as fast as I could.

“Hey, get back here!!” they yelled from behind. I didn’t look back and ran straight to the emergency stairs. It’d take forever if I waited for the elevator.

I could hear footsteps following me as I walked down the stairs in a rush.

When I reached the bottom, I pushed the door open and walked out to a hallway. But that didn’t stop me from hearing the footsteps getting closer and closer, and-

“Gotcha!!”

The second guard made his way using the other route and grabbed me from the corner. I saw the first guard walking over, panting, as he’d finally caught up with me from using the stairs.

“Unf!” I wriggled in his grasp.

“Now, tell me. What did you take from that room?” he demanded. I zipped my lips tight and scowled; not giving him any words.

“Are you deaf, kid?” the other one raised his brow.

Deaf?!

“EXCUSE ME?!??” I yelled.

He gripped me tighter and continued to force an answer out of me. But I still refused.

“Looks like we’ll have to send her back to the boss.” He said to his partner. I squirmed and started to panic.

Sure, I could just tell them, “I’m Erika Jung, and I’m just here to get my careless sister’s wallet!” But heck, like they’d believe me. I don’t even look anything like Jessica.

I was about to try again and scramble out from his grasp, but then there was a girl’s voice calling a halt. “Hold it.” She said. I glanced up to see a figure walking over fast.

My eyes blinked and I couldn’t force a word out from my mouth. She was-

Wait, I know this. Yoona? Tiffany?

“Miss Kwon.” The guards bowed to her as if she was a princess.

Yuri! Kwon Yuri! Right. Now I remember.

She walked over putting one hand on her hip. “What’re you doing?” she said to the guards. “Let her go, she’s with me.”

The guards’ eyes widened and panic began to rise in them. “O-Oh! She’s your friend!” the one with slight thinning hair stuttered and stepped away from me immediately.

Yuri shot a look at them and rolled her eyes. “Come on, Erika.” She said to me and started to walk towards the lobby.

I took a glance at the security guards right before walking and noticed them giving out loud grumps and sneers. I looked up and gulped as Yuri was far ahead of me already, and I started to run before I left behind. 

“Yuri, what are you doing here?” I asked her.

“I was meeting up with one of my friends.” She said as she looked at me from over her shoulder. “You’re lucky I was here, though. What’re you thinking coming here without a pass? This place is freakin’ strict!”

“I was just getting Jessica’s wallet ‘cause she said she left it in the dressing room.” I pouted while holding it up in my hand.

She rolled her eyes and touched her forehead. “Correction. What was Jessica thinking of leaving her wallet.” She said. “It’s probably like her third time.”

I sighed and shook my head.

Typical Sica.

I puffed my cheeks, re-adjusted the sling bag on my shoulder and continued to walk ‘till we reached outside the building. I had no idea why I was following Yuri. I felt like I was somehow lost and didn’t know where to go, where to be.

I awkwardly faced her. “Um, I’ll be heading back now.”

“Sica’s not back yet,” she said which made me stopped. “And so are the other girls.”

My jaw dropped as I remembered that Jessica never gave me the code for their dorm.

Thenhow the heck am I supposed to get inside?!

I awkwardly laughed at the sudden silence I just gave. “I see…” I faked a smile and remained still my spot with my hand clutched onto my sling bag.

 She uncrossed her arms and nudged her head. “Come on,” she said. I looked up and met her gaze. “I’m gonna go grab a bite anyways before I get home. Come along.”

I nodded repeatedly and gladly accepted her offer with a smile.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Yuri, with her black cap on, pushed the door open and entered the warm McDonald’s. We both went in line together, and when our turn came I ordered one set and so did she. I held my money out, but she turned down my offer and made way to pass her money first to the cashier.

In return I carried the tray for her as we went to sit at the back. I sat down across the table in front of her and grabbed my Double Cheeseburger and my Coke. She did the same, and as she started unwrapping her McChicken she casually started conversation.

“So,” she began. I waited for her to continue as I took off the bottom bun of my burger and tossed it away along with the pickles. She eyed me curiously before speaking again. “Jessica said you ran?” she asked, a bit unsure.

I knew the conversation would start there. It was the kind of conversation that everybody would pick. I mean what else would they say unless you secretly ran from home, took a flight, and fly all the way from California?

“Um, yea.” I said; awkwardly trying to take a bite out of my half-bunned burger. She raised a brow at it, but continued to ask as if everyone else eats their burger half-bunned.

I took a glance at Yuri before digging into my burger. I’ve talked to a few of the other girls, but I’ve never really talked to her before. Let alone, be stuck outside without having a key to go back to the dorm with her. That kind of talk. I sensed a very dark vibe from her; usually a simple, ‘Don’t-get-near-me’ kind. But right then and there she seemed harmless. Cold, but harmless. She had a ladylike figure and style, that even when she’s eating a burger she looks like a princess. Compared with Yoona, she was more with her attitude; rather than Yoona who was quite dainty and bubbly.

But what I can’t believe is was I really sitting in front and talking to the oh-so quiet Yuri?

I continued to chow down my burger in the uncomfo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter