Working As A Waitress

Stuck in the Middle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I have never, I repeat, never worked in my whole entire life. So how was I gonna do it? Well, being a waitress isn’t that hard. You just take orders, send orders, and clear up tables. Easy, right? But I couldn’t help but laugh when seeing Jessica’s face when I told her I finally found a job.

“You what?” her eyes crinkled in disbelief and her hands were on her waist.

“That’s right.” I smugged and crossed my arms in front of her. As she would expect that I would fail and give in and just go back to California, but sorry, that wasn’t gonna happen.

“Rika, you’ve never even worked. Ever.” She emphasized.

The words made me worry for a moment, but I held my head up and said, “There’s a first for everything.” Which irritated her. She planned that I would just give up and go back home so mom and dad can force me to go to college. Psh, yea right.

Score one for Rika! I mentally danced. Jessica was practically stomping her feet round the dorm, mumbling out curses.

“Alright, dinner’s ready!” I heard Sooyoung shout from the kitchen. I held my head up and remembered that I hadn’t eaten a thing since morning. So when Sooyoung pointed at me, “You too, Erika.” I got giddy and started skipping over to the table with Jessica scowling ahead.

It had been three days since I arrived and I was practically slim already due to weight loss. I had only been surviving on chocolates, bread buns with jaw, and a bottle of Pepsi that I packed with me all in that backpack of mine, which I also stored my clothes in. The fact that I didn’t pack much scared me. I should’ve gotten extra clothes, too.

While grabbing my chopstick, I caught Jessica pouting from across the table as she stuff herself with the kimchi. The girls were happily chatting ahead and I just quietly sat at the edge of their glass table and ate.

I’m a picky eater, but since I was starving, I stuffed myself with whatever there was on that round plate of mine. Surprisingly, it was delicious! I looked down to observe the kimchi, the chicken, egg, vegetables, and rice, and practically the whole thing.

Inside I felt like commenting on the food and asking who cooked, but as usual I can’t even bring myself out to say the simplest thing, even a “Hello”. I curse my timid self every day, but of course that wouldn’t help me.

“Yah, Rika,” Jessica interfered my thoughts. “Don’t just sit there. Thank for the food.” She said as she stuffed a piece of chicken in .

I didn’t hesitate and nodded. “Thanks, it’s really delicious.” I smiled at the girls. “Um, who made it?” I asked as I looked around at the table.

“None other than our Sooyoungie!” Yoona grinned, pointing at Sooyoung who bashed a smile.

“Sooyoung here watches a lot of cooking shows. So whenever we’re craving something but lazy to go out, we’d just force her to cook instead.” Taeyeon said from across the table.

“Ahh… I wish I can cook.” I said in awe.

Jessica scoffed. “You can’t even cook ramen.” She rolled her eyes.

“You can’t even cook boiled water.” I snapped back with slit eyes.

Laughter grew in the room amongst the girls. Tiffany even dropped her chopsticks when she giggled. “Your sister’s got guts.” She said, grinning widely at Jessica beside her. She was crossing her arms while releasing an icy stare, but within the next second I thought I almost saw a little smile.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

The day came. My first day on the job. I had set my alarm the night before and woke up at nine; thankfully without falling off the couch again. Few of the girls were already awake due to their busy schedule ahead. I was last in line to use the bathroom, sadly, because of Jessica’s daily twenty minute session. Not to mention her ‘singing practice’ in the shower. I had to wait by the door and listen to her sing from Oh! to Hoot .

Once I got ready, I hurried down the hall, over to the living room. “ ‘Scuse me, coming through!” I said as I walked pass Jessica and almost made her trip.

“Erika, be careful!” she groaned.

“Sorry!” I managed to yell right before walking out the door. I huffed and made my way to the elevator as fast as I could. Getting ready took me almost a half an hour! Not because I was dolling myself up or anything, but as usual, Jessica’s usage of the bathroom was what always made me late for school.

Thirty minutes more. I glanced at my watch as I reached the bus stop outside.

The bus came and I hopped right in. It was about a nineteen minutes ride all the way, and when I arrived I was right on time. I was also greeted by one of the waiters, the owner of the café’s son.

“Very punctual indeed.” He commented with a smile when he saw my arrival.

“So, when do I start?” I asked eagerly.

“Right about now.” He said as he turned the door sign to Open. “Here, put this on.” He said, tossing me my own red apron. I caught it swiftly and put it over my head and began tying the two ribbons around my waist.

“Oh, Jongjin,” I said right before he walked off. “What time’s my break again?”

“About 12pm. Is that ok with you?”

I nodded enthusiastically. A little smile from him and he waved me off to get started as few people started to enter. I thought of my first experience of working as an adventure. I mean, come on. My first job was in another country.

“Table three wants their order taken.” Jongjin said from across the room as his hands were filled with dirty trays that needed to be washed.

“Alright, I’m on it.” I said; taking out my notepad and pen and skipping over.

The feeling of my first job made me giddy. But since I was alone, without any interruptions, I was able to work in an environment that suited me. My time there was beginning to become fun, and Jongjin and I seemed to become closer during the day. Anyways, as my boss he was only, like, a few older than Sica?

 “Erika, help me greet the customers, would you?” Jongjin called and I spun my head around as I was off sending the trays of coffee to table two.

“Got it, boss!” I winked and he flashed a grin at my enthusiasm and continued with his work behind the counter.

I skipped ahead towards the entrance to open the door for the new customers that just arrived.

“Hello, welcome to Handel and Gretel!” I smiled at a couple of women who had just entered. The next was a single person who walked in with a guitar strapped on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter