Kyuhyun’s Twelve Brothers

Stuck in the Middle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So,” Kyuhyun said, clicking open his can of soda. “How’re things back home?”

“Same old, same old.” I shrugged as I took a sip of my chocolate milk. Yes, I drink chocolate milk rather than a can of tangy orange fizz . Is that a problem?

“How come you haven’t called me? It’s been, what? Two years?” he whined, pouting a little.

“Or more.” I added while casually walking next to him. “You’ve been busy. I didn’t wanna disturb.”

He eyed me curiously for a minute. Every time I pull out a lie he would always manage to scrape the truth out of me. But this time he was quiet. Perhaps after the past years I’ve finally got rid of my horrible stutter and giggles.

“Oh, Kyuhyun,” I said as I remembered something. “Do you know where I can find Krystal?”

“Sure, she’s back at her dorm.” He said as he finished up his drink and tossed it away into the trash can. “If you want, how ‘bout you follow me tomorrow? I have some rehearsals, and I think she’ll be there as well with her group mates.” He said, scratching his head to remember. I nodded and quickly accepted. “So how’s school?” he asked.

I raised a brow. “Dude, I’ve already graduated.”

He stopped in his tracks and stared at me wide-eyed. “Jinja?” he asked; almost as if he didn’t believe me.

“What? How old did you think I was?” I asked with a slight annoyance.

“Possibly sixteen.” He shrugged.

My lips curled into an angry pout and I was ready to attack him. “Why you…”

He laughed and pushed my head away easily with one hand. I squirmed and back off; adjusting the gray beanie on my head.

“I’m turning twenty,” I said. “And you sir, forgot to wish me a Happy Birthday.”

“Sorry, sorry…” he sighed heavily. “I was busy, remember?”

I crossed my arms with the pout still attached on my face. “No kidding.” I muttered.

“Happy Belated Birthday then. I promise I’ll get you something to make it up.”

“It better be something nice, ‘cause that’s three years you’ve missed, mister.” I said with one hand on my hip.

“Yea, yea…” his evil smirk started to appear as he ruffled my hair, making my beanie fall down to the ground.

“Hey, hey, hey!” I whined, bending down to grab it. There was that cute smile on his face; laughing at the slightest reaction I gave.

Is it me, or did he get even more… good looking?

My heart jolted at the thought that just appeared in my head.

Hold it!

I stood back up and adjusted the beanie carefully on my head.

No way, Rika. Not again. I warned myself.

I took in a deep breath and exhaled fast. My face was turning red as I huffed and puffed like a wolf. After fanning myself for about two minutes I was finally able to redeem myself.  

“You know I’ve always known you’d be a singer.” I said, trying to change the subject; and also the fact that my face wouldn’t stop burning. He looked at me as we walked and stopped to give a smile. I smiled back, but knew that it wasn’t gonna last. I started to play with my fingers to release the nerve-wrecking tension in me.

“So what’re you taking?” he asked all of a sudden as we made our way down the hall, back to the studio.

“Taking what?” I asked.

“You know, in college.” He said. I gulped and slurped my chocolate milk ‘till the box turned slim.

“I-I haven’t decided yet.” I replied.

“You mean you haven’t applied for college yet?” he asked. I shook my head slowly, being a little embarrassed.

Geez, why is it that when it comes to teenagers they’d always ask about school as a conversation starter? Don’t people know that we have other lives besides that?!

“What’re you thinking of going for?” he asked as he stretched his arms back.

“Well… mom’s thinking of getting me into designing, but I dunno.” I said while playing with my straw.

Once again I slumped my shoulders back without knowing how to hide my feelings. I couldn’t keep a smile on any longer. My straight face was overpowering my grin already. One more punch and comes my frown. I noticed Kyuhyun becoming silent after the little conversation. We walked side by side, and the only thing I could hear were some of the staffs’ chatter.

“So, you’re coming tomorrow, right?” he asked, breaking the silence.

I nodded and finally managed a weak smile right before we walked inside the studio. “Yea.”

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

The next day I woke up with a start as I heard a loud clank coming from the kitchen across from the living room I was sleeping in. I held my head up with my eyes still half opened.

“Yoona, shh! Erika’s still sleeping out there!” I heard Hyoyeon tell her.

“Sorry!” Yoona’s apologetic squeak was heard.

I didn’t bother to pretend that I was still asleep, so I sat up and ruffled my long, dark hair. A figured walked by and when I looked up it was Sooyoung.

“Oh, you’re awake.” She said. I nodded sleepily and then heard my phone ring 2PM’s I’m Your Man. I grabbed my phone from the small coffee table in front of me and answered.

“Hey, I’m here.” Kyuhyun’s voice appeared on the other end.

“Huh…?” I tilted my head, still sounding a bit sleepy.

“Are you drunk?” he joked. “Come on down, I’m waiting. You wanna come with me or not? I need to be at the dance studio in fifteen minutes.”

My eyes popped out wide and I glanced down at my watch.

“HOLY-” I cut myself from shouting and closed my mouth. “O-One sec! I’ll be right down!” I said as I tossed my blanket off of me and rushed to the bathroom as fast as I could to get ready.

I walked

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter