California Meets Canada

Stuck in the Middle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Within seconds I was down on the ground; not having even enough time to back away. I was lying on my back and staring up at the ceiling after the crash. It was already the second accident I’ve been involved in since I came. I heard a wince, then Kyuhyun’s voice, going, “Henry, get off her!!”

I blinked and stared into a pair of familiar eyes. My cheeks flushed red as I had never, ever, been this close to anyone, let alone a guy. And the fact that I really hate looking at someone eye-to-eye was making it even worse for me.

Back away, back away! I screeched inside my head and accidentally punched him while I was trying to get up.

There was a loud painful groan coming from him as he fell to the side. I scampered on my feet and a pair of hands held my arms. I glanced behind me and saw Zhou Mi carefully bringing me up on my feet. “T-Thanks.” I managed to say.

I tried to keep a straight face as if none of it ever happened. It was completely embarrassing, even though I wasn’t the one who crashed into the room. I sorta felt bad for him ‘cause obviously he was having an even harder time. Not to mention Kyuhyun looks like he was gonna bite his head off.

“I told you not to skate in the building!” Leeteuk sighed as he watched the guy sit up on the floor to take off his rollerblades.

“Sorry…” he mumbled like a kid.

Bicycles? Rollerblades? Am I like a magnet to sports with wheels?

“Henry, I don’t want to sound mean,” Sungmin said, trying to sound reasonable. “But you at sports, especially when it comes to things with two wheels.”

“Rollerblades have six wheels.” He said with a child-like face as he held them up.

Shindong leaned next to Leeteuk and whispered, “Can we put training wheels for rollerblades?”

Leeteuk sighed, shaking his head, while Eunhyuk and Donghae tried to suppress their laughter. I was already burning red, and so I walked quietly and stood behind Siwon and Yesung. When I glanced up I saw the guy putting aside his rollerblades and giving me a shy smile. “I’m really sorry…” he apologized sincerely, looking a bit regretful. “Are you ok?”

I tried to find my words and quickly nodded. “It’s ok, I’m fine.”

“Ok?” Kyuhyun exclaimed. “He nearly smashed you!”

“Or already did.” I heard Yesung mumble. Kyuhyun sighed.

“No, no,” I shook my head, waving my hands at the two. “Really, it’s fine.”

I gave a so-so smile at the guy. He looked at me then cocked his head to the side as if he was thinking of something. “Have we met?” he asked out of the blue.

I blinked. It’s either a cheesy pick-up line to cover up his embarrassment for smashing into me, or…

“Oh,” I exclaimed. “You’re the one who almost ran me over with your bike!”

It was merely a simple sentence, but when I said it out loud it just sounded wrong. I bit my lower lip as I watched him chuckle in embarrassment. He rubbed his neck and nodded, “Yea. That’s me.”

I cleared my throat, trying to push away the awkward atmosphere between us. I saw Kyuhyun stepping forward, towards him, and looking down with his brow arched. “You almost ran over her?”

He gulped.

“N-No, no,” I interfered and pulled Kyuhyun back. “I was standing in his way. He didn’t- I mean, I was-”

I stopped myself and bit my lower lip again. Curse my stutter.

The room became quiet, ‘till Siwon clasped his hands together.

Thank goodness.

“Alright! Since everyone’s here let’s rehearse.” He said with a wide grin to brighten the atmosphere.

Everything changed, and it was like the accident never happened. I played with my fingers and watched as they all got ready in the center of the dance room. I slowly leaned back and suddenly felt out of place. So I walked silently towards the door before they could see me walk out.

I stood in the hallway and peeked at them before leaving. It looks as if they were too busy to even notice I was gone. I started walking down the hall, pass a few people. There were no familiar faces, no one I knew.

Kyuhyun said Krystal was down two rooms. I remembered.

I looked down the hallway and counted. ‘Two rooms’. I walked down one, then passed the second and reached to another room where I heard some chatters. It got me curious, so I moved back one step and peeked inside the half opened door.

“So do I step my foot out, or do I raise my hand first?” a girl’s voice was heard, and when I looked closer it was Krystal!

My smile grew into a wide grin as I shouted, “Yah, dongsaeng!”

It captured the attention of the five people in the room and Krystal looked up, pushing away her brown locks to get a better view. A smile of disbelief formed on her face.

“RIKAAAAAAAAA!” Her grin was extending even wider once she walked towards and stood in front of me.

It had been months, no, years since I last saw her and Jessica. And I couldn’t suppress on how happy I felt to see my dear little sister. Between me and my two sisters, Krystal’s probably the one that I was closest to. I loved Jessica, but I didn’t know how to put away our faint distance.

“How did you- I mean, when-” Krystal started to stutter, looking at me from top to bottom to make sure if she wasn’t hallucinating.

“Are you happy to see me?” I asked her with a little grin.

“OF COURSE!!” she burst; flailing her arms and giving way for a hug.

As I was looking over her shoulder, there were four people looking back at me, giving little friendly smiles. I separated from Krystal and bowed slightly at them. Krystal pulled me over into the room and brought me forward.

“Girls!” she called to them, holding my left arm tightly. “This is my sister Erika.” She grinned.

The way she introduced them to me made me feel touched. The first moment I met Jessica’s group mates was far from this. Pretty much they didn’t even know I was related to her. Honestly, I don’t even remember their names anymore. Heck, I can remember Kyuhyun’s group mates’. And there’s thirteen of them!

“Rika, I’d like you to meet my friends,” Krystal continued. “So this is the ‘mother’ of the group.” She chuckled, pointing at the girl with t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter