Runaway Sister

Stuck in the Middle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After being stuck in the plane for eleven hours, thirty five minutes, and sixteen seconds, I finally start to see the city lights of Korea out the window, below me. I heard the flight attendant announce our landing, telling us to fasten our seatbelts. Feeling my ears pop as the plane landed was never the best part about flying.

Once we touched land, I slung my hot pink backpack over my right shoulder and walked out; towards the lobby of Incheon airport. It was dark out, around nine fifteen at night. Compared to California, it was sixteen hours behind back home.

I took out my old Nokia and started to text; signaling my sister that I’d arrived. I gave no note until now. If word got out before my arrival, she’d definitely tattle to mom and dad.

I’m coming over. You better open the door. I wrote.

After pressing a few buttons, I slid my little phone back inside my denim jean pocket and continued to skip through the crowded airport and towards the entrance. But it was raining heavier than I’d thought.

Shoot.

I took a deep breath and looked around. With one movement I plunged out into the rain, covering my head with only my small, dainty hands. I spotted a cab and ran towards it as fast as I could, yelling, “Taxi!”

The money in my backpack was no more, no less.

Mostly less.

And you know how the cabs are at airports. They’d take advantage of foreigners and burn a hole in their pockets. But what choice did I have?

I hurried inside the cab for shelter and away from the rain.

The driver drove me far from the airport and we reached into the city of Seoul immediately and arrived precisely in front of the building I gave him directions to.

I was charged almost a hundred bucks. Dang. Did they raise the price again?

I sighed as I took out my wallet and paid him. I grabbed my backpack and rushed back out into the rain once again. But it had slowed down a little, thank goodness. I scurried into the building and was given a dirty look by the receptionist. I ignored her scowling expression and walked towards with a little smile.

“Um, hi. I was wondering if-”

“If you’re here to stalk them, then please leave.” She said ruthlessly, showing me her palm and shoving me away.

“I’m not a stalker.” I gritted the words through my teeth.

“Then do you have an appointment?” she asked.

Why would I need to have an appointment to see my own sister?!

“No appointment, no entry.” She swiveled in her chair and faced the other way.

I scowled and shot a silent scoff.

What she said was not gonna stop me. Heck no.

She paid no more attention to me and pretended as if she was taking a important call. My eyes darted over to the opened elevator door where a man had just walked out from. My eyes traced back to her.

Seems like a quick getaway. I told myself as my eyes widened with a little gleam of mischief.

I glanced back at the snooty woman who was still on the phone and scurried fast inside the elevator before the door closes. Quickly, I pressed floor fifteen and closed the door before she would turn around and look over.

Score one for me. I smirked.

Ding! the elevator door opened to reveal a silent hallway. I peeked my head out and looked around, trying to find the right door. I spotted door number 709 and walked towards to press the button on the left side of the door. The intercom was connected and a girl’s voice was heard. “Yoboseyo?”

I pressed the button again to talk. “Yo, open up, it’s me!”

I stood outside the door, hugging myself to prevent the cold while waiting for her to open it.

The door finally clacked open after a second and a girl stood there in her white blouse and bright pink pajama shorts.

“It’s about time.” I sarcastically said as I continued to shiver.

Her big eyes widened. “You.” She pursed her lips, trying hard not to release a shout. “What the- How- WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?”

“Didn’t you get my text?”

“Yea, like an hour before you came!” she flailed her arms.

I blinked at her panicking actions. “So can I come in?”

She slapped her forehead. “Fine, fine, fine!” she said, hailing me over and closing the door behind us. But along the way through the hallway her blabbing didn’t stop.

“Sica. Chill!” I told her, holding both my hands up in front of her face. She closed and arched back in silence. I gave a slight sigh and continued to walk towards the living room.

“You’re soaking wet.” She said as she noticed the water from the ends of my hair dripping down to my clothes.

“It was raining.” I casually said. There was a mirror on the wall and I finally realized just how much I looked like a hobo. For a moment I even freaked myself out.

“So what do you want?” Jessica asked me straight.

“Gee, is that a way to greet your second youngest sister?” I rolled my eyes.

All of a sudden she started singing, “Gee gee gee gee, baby baby baby!”

“Unnie! Stop!” I pouted; cuffing my ears to prevent from listening to her babble. She stopped dancing and gave a straight face. “I wouldn’t mind if you sang I’ll Be Back.” I whined.

“You gotta stop listening to 2PM and start supporting your sister!” she put her hands on her hips and lectured me.

Me? A Sone? Yea, maybe someday. I thought sarcastically.

I gave no reply and just smiled so-so and headed towards the kitchen to grab a water bottle from the fridge as if it was my own house. I could see her rolling her eyes from the living room while crossing her tiny, stick a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter