A Cold Encounter

미안하다...사랑한다 (I'm sorry ...I love you)

 

                 For Jay, it was another day in school like repeated scenes of déjà-vu but somehow his friends didn’t feel he was the same, something clearly was not right, he became quieter, sometimes absent minded and moody, but most of the time he just danced in silence for hours long, so restlessly like his life depended on it. Taemin used to hung out with him at home a lot and they used to talk, after all, Jay was more than a friend he was the big brother: the one he looked up to; but now that seemed to fade away too as Jay was always up late to the night’s latest hours and no one knew where he was. Whenever Minzy and Taemin asked him, he just ignored it shifting to another subject till they gave up; he was hard to break through like a stone.

--- One fine morning, at maths class, Jay was dozing off in disinterestworrying his friends more and moreand the distance between them just grew bigger.---

“Would you please welcome a new student to our class,” announced the teacher slightly adjusting his glasses as the principle bulged in with the new student.

Everyone turned its attention to the new face with such infantile curiosity except the one who was still sleeping his head buried in his crossed arms on his study table unaware of what was going on and pretty much ignored by his classmates as well.

Well the new student was just an average girl, average features, average height in the school’s uniform but something in her just had nothing to do with average,. There was something about her, that aura of fierceness not just because of her thick make-up but her composure and staring at the others in the eyes just led them to be just intimidated by the infamous girl.

Teacher: “Come closer dear,” encouraged her and continued, “please, introduce yourself to the class,” but the teacher’s request was denied coldly --by our Chaerin pretty known character to us but not as much to the others--. She just stared around the room blankly looking for a free seat, but without waiting for the teacher to show her the way; she made her way through to the empty seat just next still sleeping Jay and threw her bag on the table making just a big fuzz that immediately shook Jay off  his sleep in anger. He looked at his right and saw this arrogant girl who didn’t even bother to apologize to him, and just sit there; he just felt like he was boiling from the inside and thought in a second spare of time: the old Jay would just let it slide but now as of the new Jay, he had nothing to lose to let a little of his dark side take over; so, he stood pushing his table few inches to the front and shouted: “Ya!!” and then pressed his teeth biting his lip uttering a fierce whisper in between: “what do you think you are doing pestering in just like that? Don’t you think you have to apologise to someone?”

          Chaerin didn’t bother to look at him, she knew all kinds of jerks in her troublesome existence and none could pierce through her. Jay felt like an idiot just standing there, with anger boiling in more, ignoring the whole class still staring at him, surprised. He walked towards her, facing her and in an even louder sound, slammed both palms of his hands on her table as he leaned closer to her face staring right at her bright deep black eyes. Chearin stayed still and composed despite the startling sound and just smirked at him, “what do you think you’re doing …jerk?” Jay’s face turned red as he couldn’t contain his anger and just clenched his hands into fists and exited the room hurriedly.

        Jay walked fast in eagerness to reach the school’s gate, it was like he was suffocating in his own rage and even blinded as he walked right past Taemin without noticing he was still calling his name. No one treated Jay like that before, and it was more agonising coming from a girl. Walking in the narrow street still thinking about the embarrassing situation, suddenly, a sharp pain stabbed him like a knife in the guts chasing his thoughts away. The pain was still bearable and it did happen once in awhile but his doctor told him not to overwork himself as the pain will get stronger and other symptoms will appear soon as time passes. He also advised him to do a surgery, but Jay knew that it would only gain him some time before the inevitable. The pain soon disappeared and Jay arrived home.

Son, come have some dinner, you…” without being able to finish, Jay told him he was full and went straight to his room. He threw himself on his bed without bothering to take off his shoes and stared into the emptiness of the dark room. Jay sighed, still thinking about the funny scene of earlier and he found out that despite everything, the mysterious girl was interesting and he sure wanted to know more about her as her face crossed his mind once more before falling asleep.

 

******************************************************************************

THOSE TWO WILL HAVE TO GET ALONG PRETTY SOON, NO? 

WELL I KNOW THAT SOME OF YOU DISLIKE THE FACT THAT JAY IS DYING BUT WE SHOULD PUT IN MIND THAT THIS IS ONLY A MERE FICTIOUS STORY AND THE MEANING BEHIND IT IS MUCH GREATER THAN THE STORY: YOU MAY THINK THAT IT IS DEJA-VU BUT I PROMISE IT IS UNIQUE IN ITS OWN WAY AND EACH STORY WRITTEN HERE IS UNIQUE AS THE PERSON WRITING IT.