The Independent Girl

Master of Heart

It was summer.

The sun shone brightly at the city of love, Seoul. Everyone could feel the warm of the season.

But not in a certain luxurious office, where the freezing blow of the air condition pierced your skin.

 

“Hwang Tiffany, female, this year you’re turning to 20.” a middle-aged man wearing a formal  suit read the papers which he was holding.

“Right?” he asked the girl that was sitting politely in front of him, her hands on her lap.

The brunette girl smiled, turning her eyes into perfect crescent shape. “Yes, sir.”

The man continued reading the papers. “Skilled in music, black belt of Taekwondo,” he paused as he narrowed his eyes in disbelief. “And you graduated from Harvard last year,” he said in a rather hesitating tone. “this early?”

“Yes, sir.” She continued when the latter raised his eyebrow questioningly. “I got a scholarship for the accelerating class there.”

The man’s mouth turned into ‘O’ shape before he nodded satisfiedly. “You’re hired, Miss Hwang. We’ve been looking for a perfect figure like you.”

 

Tiffany smiled calmly.

Without any intention to be overconfident, she had known that with her achievements and abilities she would be able to get any job she wanted. Including this one.

“Thank you so much, sir. It’s an honour for me to serve the great Kim Family.” she humbly bowed.

“It’s an honour for us to have such a well-mannered and educated maid like you, Miss Hwang.” the man smiled. “You have read the contract, haven’t you?”

She nodded in reply.

“So are you okay with it? Do you have any objection?”

She smiled sheepishly. “Just one, sir. If I may.”

“Oh, what is it?”

 “May I have a day off on Sunday?” she politely asked.

The man considered her request for a while as he repeatedly spun his pen.

He seemed like he wasn’t really agreeing to the idea but nevertheless immediately fixed the contract as he typed then printed it.

“Now you can sign it.” he said as he handed it.

Tiffany re-read it cautiously from the very first letter, making sure everything was right.

A satisfied smile came across her face when she spotted her request was clearly typed on it; ’Working time: 24 hours/6 days. Day off on Sunday’.

She signed it and gave it back to the smiling man in front of her.

 “Thank you. You can start working by tomorrow, Ms. Hwang. Here’s the address of the Kim’s mansion.” He said as he handed a piece of paper. “You’ll be in charge of the Kim’s son. And you can come there by 9. Is that okay with you?”

“Yes, sure.”

 

After thanked the man once again, she exited the office and walked on the street happily.

She silently praised herseld for successfully getting the job she wanted.

 

Becoming a maid.

 

It wasn’t just an ordinary maid who only had to mop and sweep the floor, wash the clothes, or any other things you imagined a maid would do.

The kind of maid Tiffany would be was the exclusive one you could say. It was like the female version of the butlers of the British nobleman.

It required intelligence, strength, manner, talent, and of course loyality.

The maids had not to serve only, but also become a tutor and sometimes a half-bodyguard for their master. Their rights were highly respected, as they had a clear and fair contract for their job. Not to mention the salary was incredibly high.

It was such a classy and honourable job that you could be proud of.

In short, it was a perfect job that needed perfection.

 

“Oppa,” Tiffany called as she entered a small white house. “Oppa, I’m home.”

She furrowed her eyebrows when she still didn’t get any reply. She headed to the living room and took a quick scan her surrounding which was dominated with black and white colours. She saw no one. When she was about to turn and walk to the kitchen, she felt a grasp on her ankle.

“HOLY—yah, oppa! Why are you lying there?” she pried her ankle from the grasp.

A slightly tanned man lying flat on his stomach on the floor, frowning. “Fany-ah..”

“What?” she raised an eyebrow as she crossed her arms, staring down at the lying short brown-haired man.

“I’m hungry..” he said weakly. “I feel like dying.. Ooh, is that my train to heaven?” he pointed to the air dramatically.

 Tiffany rolled her eyes at his ridiculous action. “Fine, fine. I’ll cook the lunch now.”

The guy’s face immediately lit up as he jumped on his feet excitedly, standing in front of Tiffany. She had to look up now as her handsome elder brother was much taller than her.

“That’s my sweet sister.” he gave a toothy grin as he ruffled Tiffany’s hair.

Tiffany huffed as she pried his arms and fixed her now messy hair. “You really should work on your shikshin behaviour, Sooyoung Oppa.” she said as she headed to the kitchen.

“That’s like asking a dog to sing, Fany-ah.” he slumped on the soft black couch.

“Dog can’t sing.” she washed her hand and wore a pink apron.

“Exactly.” he snapped his finger. “I can’t stop being a shikshin too.”  

“Yeah, yeah. By the way how was your work today, oppa? Why are you already home this early?” she opened the fridge and took some ingredients out.

He stopped jumping on the couch and slowly walked to the dining table beside the kitchen. ”It was good. I finished it quick.”

“I’m asking for details, Mr. Photographer.” she started cutting the vegetables.  

“Everything’s good. I got another job for a pre-wedding photoshoot. Ahh, but the bride was so whiny and the groom could do nothing about her, all he did was listening and obeying her. Coooward.”  he said mockingly. “But they paid well so hell I care.”

“Good for you.”

“Oh yes, and I’ve already got another offer—omo, smells sooo nice! What are you cooking, Tiff?” he sniffed as he sat straight.

“Your favorite.”

“Spaghetti?” he asked hopefully.

“Nope.”

“Kimchi fried rice?”

“Nope.”

“Hamburger?”

“Try again.” she said as she put the meal onto the silver plate.

“Okay, I got it. I know this smell..” he sniffed again. “Ooh! Sweet and sour pork!” he grinned as he recognized the smell of the food.

Just then Tiffany appeared from the kitchen, bringing the hot meal. “Bingo.” she smiled as she put down the plate on the dining table.

 Sooyoung’s eyes were glistening like a little kid seeing a truck of candies as he literally started drooling. “You are the sweetest sister in the whole Milky Way, Hwang Tiffany. Seriously.”

Tiffany just shrugged as she handed him a bowl of rice. “Thank you. Now eat, Hwang Sooyoung oppa.”

Without being asked twice, the starving 23 years old guy immediately dug in the food like there was no tomorrow.

“Slow down there. You may choke sooner or later if you keep eating like that, oppa.” she worriedly said while munching her own rice.

Sooyoung looked up to Tiffany with his stuffed mouth. “Howwie, his is hwery hood.” he gave a thumb up.

“By the way I’ve got the job, Sooppa.”

“Job?” Sooyoung stopped eating as he stared at his sister questioningly. “The one for the great business family Kim?”

“Ne.” Tiffany replied shortly as she took a sip from her tea. “I’ll start working tomorrow.”

“Wow, congratulations, Fany-ah! That’s just so cool and classy.” he practically clapped his hands cheerfully before slowly turning to his sulking mode. “But.. That means you’ll be leaving me alone, right?”

“From Monday to Saturday, yes. But I managed to get a day off on Sunday. Don’t worry.” she dryly said.

“But still..” he frowned as he put down the chopsticks. “I’ll be lonely.”

“It’s not like you are home everyday, oppa. You have your own works too.”

“But, but..” he whined.

Tiffany sighed as she rolled her eyes. “Don’t be such a whiny kid, Sooyoung oppa.” she said as she narrowed her eyes at him. “You know I hate whining.”

“Sorry.” he cleared his throat. “But promise me you’ll take good care of yourself, will you Tiff? I don’t want any bad thing happens to you. You’re the only one I have now. I really love you.” he said sincerely.

“Sounds like you’re confessing to me, Sooppa. Scary.” she chuckled. “Of course I’ll take good care of myself. Thanks for your concern, oppa. I love you too. Umma and appa up there must be really proud to see you grow becoming a responsible and caring man.”

“Aww, aren’t we being too mushy now?” he laughed while gathering the dirty plates. “Now get your upstairs and prepare your suitcase. I’ll wash the dishes.”

“Ne.” she went upstairs and entered her pink-painted room. Small but comfortable, and full of pink stuffs. It was definitely Tiffany’s kingdom.

She packed everything she thought she would need into her small hot pink suitcase. After she got sweaty from moving here and there, taking and putting stuffs, she decided to take a quick bath.

Stepping out from the bathroom while drying her hair with a pink towel, Tiffany slumped herself into her blue single bed. Wondering why it wasn’t pink? Because the pink bed cover was in laundry, so she borrowed her brother’s.

Her eyelids started felt heavy.

She closed her eyes and the next second she opened them again, the sunshine already struck her bedroom through the clear window. As she gathered her consciousness, she took a glance at the clock.

 

“Still 7AM..” she mumbled as she yawned and stretched her hands up. “Well, better be prepared.” with that she jumped off her bed and took a shower, then dressed prettily with blue skinny jeans and light pink formal hem. Simple, but with her flawless figure and S-Line body, every clothes would fit her perfectly.

After having a breakfast, she was ready to leave. Followed by her brother, she headed to the door with her pink suitcase.

“So.. I guess I’ll go now.”

Sooyoung frowned. “Aah.. I’m gonna be alone now. I’m so saaad. Lonely lonely lone--”

“Oppa.” Tiffany rolled her eyes.

“Okay, okay, sorry.” Sooyoung put his right hand up defensively. “But do you really have to work, Fany-ah? I mean, my income as a photographer is enough for both of us.”

She shook her head lightly. “I don’t want to burden you.”

He sighed as he patted her head affectionately. “You are not a burden to me, Fany-ah. You’ll never be, little sister.”

“I’m all grown up now, oppa. I have to work. It’s my responsibility as a good citizen.” she stubbornly said.

“Alright, I give up. But take care of yourself, will you? Do eat properly.” he concernly said as he pulled his sister to a warm hug. 

“I will, Sooppa.” Tiffany hugged back her dearest brother.

“Tell me if your master does something bad to you, I’ll come straight and kick his . Hardly.”

“Okay.” she nodded.

“Don’t forget to come home every Sunday or whenever you have a day off, will you?” he said as he released the hug.

“Sure thing.”

“Good girl,” he tapped her cheeks lightly. “I’ll be missing you, little sister.”

“I’ll be missing you too, big brother.”

“Good luck on your job. Fighting!” he pumped his fist as he gave a grin.

“Thanks, oppa.” she smiled and pulled her suitcase. “I’ll be leaving now. Take care, don’t eat too much.”

“Can’t promise but I’ll try.” he chuckled. “Annyeong, Fany-ah.”

“Annyeong, oppa. See you on Sunday.”

“See you.” he waved to her and she waved back.

 

Sooyoung once again sighed heavily as he saw Tiffany’s figure became further and further and finally disappeared from his sight.

People change. So did Tiffany.

And Sooyoung was pretty frustrated because of it. His sister became independent and more caring about him, and that was a good thing.

But what made Sooyoung worried about her all the time was; his sister never smiled as much as before.

She changed.

She didn’t squeal and go crazy whenever she saw pinky stuffs, she didn’t pout, she never whined, and she never clung onto his arm while showing an annoying aegyo anymore. She wasn’t the same bubbly Tiffany he knew.

Tiffany said that she would work because she didn’t want to burden him, but he knew that was only an excuse.

He completely understood, that it was only her excuse to escape from her loneliness and painful memories..

 

 

 

 


OMO,

it sounds like there will be a lotta drama XD

Kidding, there won't be many

Maybe.

Who knows? :D

 

So you have met the maid. Meet the master on the next chappie. :3

Stay tuned~~ ^^

 

Oh and don't forget to give me some love

Love=comment&subscribe :*

Tee-hee :D

Spread the love~~ <3