The Old Soul

Tomorrow With You (Baekhyun x OC x Chanyeol)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Song: minimal warm by CHANYEOL

 

(March)

 

“What an amazing car. This is top of the line,” Yuna observed the interiors of Chanyeol’s Mercedes AMG G65.

“What’s your basis?” he looked at the side mirror before he started driving.

“You had the interior refurbished. The stock model of this is black, and this is…white diamond stitched leather?” Yuna rubbed the material with her thumb.

“You know alot about cars and motorbikes, do you, Yuna?”

“My father likes these kinds of things so yes, a little.”

“That’s nice. What’s he driving now?”

“Now? Ehm…my parents retired in the province so no need for a car anymore,” she scratched her head, not wanting to say that all their properties have been taken by their creditors already, with nothing, as in nothing left to the family except her BMW.

Chanyeol noticed her being uneasy, so he changed the topic. “By the way, I have something to propose. I talked to Mrs. Won and Seulgi about this but I want your opinion as well.”

“Sure, what is it?”

“I plan to invest at the restaurant and make it bigger than it is; open a new branch and close the current one. What do you think?”

“Woah, you have funds for that?”

“It’s my remaining money, actually. Truth is, I’ve been going around Itaewon looking for a small-time venture. I was planning on building a club as it’s in line with what I used to do. But I took interest in Mrs. Won’s business and thought, maybe this is a good opportunity too. It’s a popular before and after resting place of partygoers and the food is good. It only needs a better location and a better…everything.”

“What did she say? Wow, that is such a good idea, sir.”

“She said she needs to think about it but so far, her response is positive.”

“I’m totally excited for her. This is the break she’s been waiting for. She deserves it, sir. She may be a bit overbearing but she has a very good heart.”

“Good heart?” Chanyeol laughed as Yuna thinks in a very simple and straightforward way.

“I’m only saying what I think as you asked for it,” she grinned.

He kept smiling. “Anyways, I want to propose a certain structure too. I want you and Seulgi to manage the mid-morning to early evening shift, then Mrs. Won the rest. Of course if we’ll have a bigger restaurant, we need more people so we need to hire too.”

Yuna was quiet, knowing that she has a job at Deli.

“Oh no no, sorry, I wasn’t clear. I considered your current short-term stint and with everything that needs to be built and done, you would probably start on this after Deli.”

“Wow, really? I have a job waiting for me after Deli?”

“Yup. And you and Seulgi get to be the restaurant’s co-managers.”

“I don’t know what to say. Thank you, sir,” she kept bowing.

“Please call me Yeol. We’ll be working more closely in the coming months so I want us to be comfortable with each other,” he could not help but observe her reaction even if he was driving.

“It’s only a short period that we know each other yet you’ve entrusted a lot to us already.”

“With what you’re saying I’m assuming you’re accepting my offer?”

“Yes, totally!” Yuna clapped quietly.

Chanyeol kept smiling genuinely. He was mindful of her every move that time; the way she would breathe, or rest her hands on her legs, or view the cars outside.

As days go by, he noticed that he had been smiling more, and he’s not sure if it’s because of a certain person.

Maybe he doesn't need to act like someone else when he's with her. Maybe her sunny attitude encourages him to be himself.

At that time, he knows it's the kind of simplicity he needs in his life.

“What made you decide this fast, Y-yeol?” she felt uneasy calling him by his nickname.

“Like I said, been going around Itaewon to look for a venture. The drinking isn’t only about getting wasted. I was immersing myself to it.”

Yuna chortled, not believing him. “If you say so…”

Chanyeol pouted. “And well, I would always end up at the same restaurant: Mrs. Won’s. So I thought, what if I invest on this instead?”

“Why were you looking at party places at first?” Yuna was curious.

“To be honest, I used to own a concert production company before. Well, aside from the family’s business, Ulsan Energy Corp.”

“Wow…you have a lot of money to be able to do that,” Yuna commented. Who doesn’t know Ulsan Energy? It’s listed as one of the biggest chaebol in the country, although from what she heard in the news, it recently was embroiled in different issues left and right.

“So it’s something I like to do. Partying, socializing.”

“What happened to it?”

“I needed to close it down because they kind of…cancelled my license of booking international acts. Basically, I was left with zero clients and my substantial investment being reduced to nothing.”

“Huh? Who would do that? They’re so mean.” Yuna noticed Chanyeol speeding up, as they surely are talking about a sensitive matter.

“I messed with the wrong people and that’s part of the consequences,” his lips formed a straight line.

“Consequencesss? You mean there’s more?”

“Yup. Being ousted from the family tree, not having a consistent set of friends, maybe getting dumped too? things like those.”

“I’m very sorry to hear that, Yeol. I didn’t know you’re going through something as heavy as that,” Yuna wanted to sympathise with the man.

“Why don’t you search for my name on Naver? I’m sure you’d learn a lot about me there—where I come from, my family, my issues, etc,” he wanted to laugh.

“Huh? You’re that popular to have search results on Naver?” her eyes widened.

“S-somewhat, but not really. If your standard is Byun Baekhyun or Oh Sehun, I am nowhere near them,” he chuckled.

“I’d rather know you through this, Yeol.”

“Through what?” he blinked fast.

“Like this—chatting, spending time at the restaurant. I’m sure the media will exaggerate the truth so people will buy its narrative. I don’t consume those types of things. SNS, gossip, I shy away from those.”

He studied her for a while. “You’re an old soul, aren’t you?”

“I just want to have more genuine connections than what’s out there nowadays. Truthfully, I’m left with no friends too as people want to connect through those kinds of things. For the clout, you know what I mean?”

“I totally understand. Let’s be good friends, then?” Chanyeol’s smile was until his reddened ears.

Yuna nodded, then looked at the view outside the window.

 

---------------------------------------------

 

“Ya, Yuna!” Mrs. Won gestured towards the stool in front of her. “Sit down. I closed early today so we can discuss Mr. Park’s proposal.”

“We can do that? Close early?” Yuna was amused.

“Like what Mr. Park said I’m the boss; I get to call the shots,” she said proudly while looking at Chanyeol. “Go, sit. I’ll take this time to serve the menu to Mr. Park so we can add and remove some items to it. Ya, Seulgi! Get everything from the kitchen!”

“I literally am walking towards you, Mrs. W

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter