Chapter 8: My first place

Escaping to Shinee's dorm 2!

 

“Oppa!” I yelled as I leaped into Jonghyun’s arms.

“What’s wrong, Paige?” Jonghyun asked in a voice full of worries. I accounted the story and the fear now came back haunting.

“Hmm… That Eric was something,” Onew nodded in serious thoughts. The others kept silent seemed in deep in thinking, especially Jonghyun who was looking almost guilty.

“Oppa,” I whispered softly to Jonghyun. Jonghyun did not response. I took his hand, trying to make him response. And he did. He looked up, his eyes tortured, reflecting all sorts of emotions: fear, worry, relief, care, frustration.

“What’s wrong, Oppa?” I asked in anxiety.

“Sorry, Paige,” He made an unexpected apology.

“Why are you apologizing?” I reached out for his face.

“I should have…” He did not need to complete his sentence for me to get his intention.

“No,” I cut in, “I am fine. I am safe now. It is just an accident. No one can predict this.”

Jonghyun was quiet for awhile and chuckled softly, “You predicted didn’t you? Next time please call me at once, please?”

“I promise, Oppa,” I smiled at him, relief at his slightly happy face.

“Let’s go visit Eric, we have to thank him,” Jonghyun suggested as he stood up. I nodded, agreeing.

“Eric,” The next day, I opened the door, and peek in. Eric turned and smiled at me.

“Hey. Oh, you bought a friend.” He tried to bow to Jonghyun, but could not. “Sorry for not being able to greet you.” He apologized in Korean.

Ah, no,” Jonghyun bowed too. “I really want to thank you for saving Paige.

It is just a duty for man to protect.” Eric replied. “Thank you for coming, anyway.”

“Are your injuries better?” I stepped forward, trying to close up the awkward gap between us. Jonghyun followed through, but kept his distance, as if to avoid.

“Yes, better. The doctor said I could go home the day after tomorrow.” Eric smiled.

“Oh, great, you can go home and be taken care of.”

“Same to me, I guess. No one took any care of me, at home,”

 “So you live alone?” I asked.

“Hmm…” Eric considered the question with much thought, “Not really, just a few friends.”

“Something like roommates?”

“Yup, something liked that.” Eric nodded. “Like renting and sharing a dorm,”

“I see. Ah, I brought you some porridge.” I turned to look at Jonghyun, who was holding a thermal flask. Jonghyun handed me the flask with his stretched hand, his expression was unreadable.

“Thank you, Paige. The hospital food tasted horrible,” Eric complained, looking at the full tray of food that was on the table.

“No problem. I guess it is kind of like a thank you gift for saving me.”

“That is stingy,” Eric teased.

“Fine, you can munch on the hospital food. I shall bring my porridge home.” I made a face at him, taking back the porridge that I just set it down on the table beside the tray of food.

“Kidding,” He chuckled as little effort as he could. “Thanks. Go home, you are busy and it is weird for you to stay here while I eat.”

“Alright, take care then. I will bring you some more porridge tomorrow.” I agreed, sensing Jonghyun was not very comfortable in this situation. He had not spoken a word at all.

“See you, young girl.” He grinned.

“See you, old man.” I grinned back at him as waved goodbye. Jonghyun bowed to him politely and lead me out of the room.

“Oppa, are you alright?” I asked as soon as we are out of hearing range. Jonghyun was edgy throughout the whole visit.

“I just find that guy strange. He doesn’t seem to be some average young guy you know.” Jonghyun immersed in his thoughts.

“Is it? I don’t find anything amiss with him.” then something struck me. “You were like that since the first day I bumped into him. Are you jealous of him, Oppa? He was the first stranger that I knew other than you and people you introduced me too. You are jealous, aren’t you?”

I giggled at my own assumption. Jonghyun looked dumbfounded like he wasn’t expecting the conclusion. He smirked, looking confident of himself.

“No even a chance, Paige. No one can win me in your heart. Who am I? I am SHINee Jonghyun.” He laughed out loud, stretching his arms wide.

“Hmm… I can’t deny that,” I joined in laughter. He was definitely first in my heart. No doubts about that. No one can change that, not even the unpredictable future that lied before us or the numerous accidents that happened today.