Chapter 11: Kindness

Escaping to Shinee's dorm 2!

 

There was much to do to have a new life. I unpacked my bag, piling neatly my clothes on top of the cabinet. I looked at the time on the phone, it was almost 6pm. Stomach was growling too, I picked up the now emptied bag and headed out.

“Hey, Paige,” Santana greeted me. “Going out?”

“Yeah,” I replied. “Miss Santana, do you have a map? Or can you tell me where the nearest super market is?”

“The super market is just around the corner, 2 streets down. You can take the rental bicycle and cycle there. It will be much faster.” Santana pointed out a mark in the map, tracing the route to take.

“Thanks, Santana.” I took the map and thanked her.

Using a bike to tour Jeju Island, I could feel the breeze and the fresh clean air on my face; the scenery seemed to be magnified, everything was extra beautiful. Down the road, small shops that sold all sorts of things, from food to detergent, from souvenir to post cards. Checking out the place didn’t seem like a bad idea.

“Annyong Hashimnigga” I entered a particular shop that sold almost everything.

“Annyong,” the old lady, most likely the shop keeper, greeted cheerfully. “Is there anything I can help you with?

Ah, yes. I would like to get some juice and instant coffee and noodles.

It just right there,” the old lady pointed towards the racks that held food products.

Thank you,

Here for a holiday?” the old lady asked as I selected my groceries

I think so. But I might consider staying here. It is so pretty out here.

Yes, everyone said that. It is a really beautiful place to stay. I lived here for a long long time. City life is too much for old people like us. Too hectic,” the old lady agreed.

You don’t look every old.” I smiled, looking at her.

Thank you, young lady. You are very kind. There isn’t much kindness in young people these days. They are just so spoiled with all the technology and lost all their values. You have good upbringing. Your parent must very proud of you.”

Thank you,” I was glad to hear that my soul was still intact despite doing so much evil for Mr Hudges.

So, where in Korea are you born in? Your accent is unique.

I am actually not a Korean. I am from Singapore.

Oh, friends from Singapore,” the old lady looked at me in surprise. “You sound so local.

I lived here for a year so I picked up the language,” I chuckled.

You learn fast, lady. Foreigners need at least a few years to pick up the language.” The old lady counted the items I had picked up. “The total would be 20000 won. A special price for a kind lady,”

“Thank you very much,”

Hope you decide to live her. It is really nice here.”

Kamsa hamnida” I thanked her again, and bowed. “annyonghi kyeseyo

I took the items and walked out, waving goodbye to the lady. The people here were all so friendly and welcoming. Maybe I really had chosen the right place to go, the right escape.

Nevertheless, my heart still belonged to Seoul, the place where my loved ones are.

I sat on the roof top of the inn at late night, covered in a warm blanket, thinking about how Jonghyun would be able to warm me up if he was here. The phone that held his pictures were the last comfort I could ask for. I flipped open my phone, the wallpaper of us lit up in the dark night.

“Hey, Paige,” Santana came, holding 2 cups, smelling full of coffee. “What are you doing here? You are going to catch a cold. Coffee?”

“Thanks, Miss Santana” I turned and smile at her, reaching out the coffee that was handed to me. Santana took a seat beside me, slipping the coffee.

“Is that your boyfriend?” Santana smiled in her cup, asking.

“Oh, yes,” I smiled weakly, twisting the phone in my hand.

“Handsome kid,” Santana joked. “Why you left? You two looked very loving.”

“I am just a curious land lady. You can forget that I ask that.” Santana said apologetically when I went silent.

“Oh, no, it is just hard to speak. I ran away on my own.” I shook my head. “Isn’t it silly that I left and now I pity myself?”

“No, Paige. You don’t seem like someone who did run away without any reason. You seem like a responsible person. You made sure that the bike you rent come back in one piece, not like the others who make me replace the bike over and over again. You put your groceries properly, you greet everyone politely. That is who you are.”

“I am not that responsible,” I chuckled. “I left only with a note on the table.”

“Then what is your reason to do this, if you are happier with your love ones.”

“I…I want to,” I paused, thinking how to phrase my words, “protect them. They are in grave danger and I might be the cause of the danger. I just want to protect them. Maybe they will get used to it without me, go back to their lives before.”

“Oh, sweetie, you are brave just to leave someone who you love so deeply.” Santana comfort me. “They won’t forget you or blame you for things you do once they know the reason. Have you tried to work out a solution with them?”

“I kept it to myself. I did not want them to worry nor put them in extra hard work when they already had a hard time with their job.” I confessed, feeling the tears at the edge of my eyes.

“I know how you feel,” Santana spoke softly. “I came here with the same reason. I used to be a bad girl, you know. Drugs, fighting, play girl… Then one day I came to senses when my mother was sent to hospital after getting beaten up by myself and I left. When I first I came to Jeju, I felt the same as you. I was the origin of their pain, source of hurt, and the cause to every bad thing that ever happened to them. I missed them terribly, but I decided not to go back. So I set up this little home for people who need a sanctuary like me, or anyone who is here for any reason.”

“You are so capable,” I admired her courage. “I love your hostel. It makes people who come here felt like home.”

“Thank you. I still have a lot to learn as a landlord.” Santana grinned at me. “Anyway, I found you a job. As a teacher, I hope you like teaching.”

“I don’t have the experience in teaching, but I can always try.” I smiled at her.

“So sleepy, I am heading to bed. How about you?” Santana yawned as she got up, finishing her coffee.

“I am staying for awhile more.”

“Alright, then night Paige. Glad that I got to know you more,”

“Santana,” I stopped her. “Thank you for everything”

“You are welcome, sweetie” she winked at me.

I stared out into the night Jeju Island. Everywhere in the island is filled with kindness, lighting up the hearts of anyone who came.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Seriously, i finally remember where i stopped.Darkness filled Paige when she went to the concert hall right.....?>< heh.

FAIL!hahahaha.

anyway, SHINee Sherlock is BACK.awesome.^^ looking forward to their comeback stage!