Chapter 3: Birthday

Escaping to Shinee's dorm 2!

 

“Saengil chuka hamnida!
  Saengil chuka hamnida!
  Saengil chuka hamnida, Paige~
  Saengil chuka hamnida!” They sang in prefect synchronization.  Minho took a camera filming, as they sang.

“Happy birthday, Paige,” Jonghyun kissed the top of my head. I was lost for words, too touched to say anything. No one had ever celebrated my birthday after I was five.

Blow the candles, Paige,” Taemin said excitedly in Korean.

“Paige, why are you crying? This is supposed to make you smile.” Jonghyun wiped away a tear.

“Well, hadn’t you heard of tears of joy?” I exclaimed, eyes wide with happiness.

“Thank you everyone!”

“If you want thank us, blow the candles before they ruin your cake.” Key reminded me.

I pulled my hands together, praying, wishing, for everything to stay the same forever. Then, I leaned forward to blow the candles.

“Thank you so much, stop filming, Minho Oppa, I will turn out ugly,” I took turns hug each of them.

“No one will ever say you ugly, Paige.” Jonghyun answered for Minho, who is now enjoying too much being the cameraman.

Present time!” Taemin shouted, pulling out a flat rectangle box.

Guys, you shouldn’t have got me anything.” I protested.

Nope, we didn’t. Open it and you will know.” Minho smiled and Taemin stretched the present out to me. I took it unwillingly, eyeing Jonghyun. Jonghyun nodded in encouragement.

I shut my eyes, pry open the box.

It was a black cushioned book, on top decorated with the words SHINee. I took the book out, curious of its content. The book laid flat on my hands, a piece of handmade menu could be seen. On it filled with my favorite dishes, drawn beautifully and colored. It was designed by the 4 of them, excluding Jonghyun. At the back of the menu were a short letter written and an animated drawing of all of us.

“Miss, a table for two?” Onew appeared in a waiter’s uniform. Jonghyun held my hand as he pulled me to a table Onew was leading to.

“May I have your order?” Onew asked politely. I look from the menu to Jonghyun and from Jonghyun to the menu, back and forth. Jonghyun smiled at me, pointing towards the menu, indicating me to order.

“But, Oppa, there isn’t anyone in the restaurant today. No chef to cook for us.” I pointed out.

“Well, let me introduce today’s Head chef,” Onew bowed. Key came out of nowhere wearing a chef uniform, and Minho and Taemin in a chef suit too.

I am the head chef, Chef Key. And these are my assistant, Minho vice chef and Taemin vice chef number two. Just say anything you like to eat and we will satisfy your appetite.” Key said proudly.

“How about you decide, chef?” I suggested, anything they cook, I will definitely love it.

“Yes, miss. Please wait while we get ready.” Key bowed and retreated with Minho and Taemin. Onew bowed too and back away, leaving the time for both Jonghyun and me.

“I still can’t believe you will forget your birthday, Paige.” Jonghyun chuckled, with disappointment.

“I hadn’t celebrated my birthday for a long time, Oppa.” I bobbed my head left and right, counting.

“I’m sorry, Paige.”

“For what, Oppa? You just created the best memories of my life and you are the one who help me. There is no need to apologise,” I reached for his hands opposite the table.

“Thank you, Paige.” He squeezed my hands. “Actually, I have prepared something for you too.”

“Not you too,” I pouted.

“How come the guys get to give you present and I am not allowed?” Jonghyun questioned. He was my greatest present already.

“There you go,” Jonghyun opened my palms and placed it on my palm. “Happy birthday, Paige.”

I took back my hands, trying to get a good look at my present. It was a friendship band, braided with different shades of brown, and a miniature wooden craved model of Jonghyun stringed in the middle.

“You made this? For me? It’s…it’s…so beautiful,” I smiled brightly, whispering.

“It is something I learned it from the internet,” He shrugged. “It will always remind you of me.”

“Do you have time for this? I mean, you lost some sleep didn’t you?” I looked closely at his face, checking for any shadow under his puppy eyes. There was, a faint one, but it shaded under his smile.

“It is nothing compared to your smile now, silly. Here, let me put it on for you.” He took the band from my hands, pulling my wrist along. He fastened it with his huge hands.

“Thank you, Oppa. I love it! I will never take it off me. ” I held up my wrist proudly, looking at the dangling mini Jonghyun. “

“Here comes the main dish, madam.” Onew came, holding two dishes, with a metal cover over it. He placed it in front of us, and opened the cover. The familiar fragrance of chicken rice saturated the air, smelling more delicious than I had ever tried. But it was wonder that I could get to eat chicken rice in Korea.

“Key Oppa made this?” I questioned Onew in a shock tone.

“Yeah, he put in a lot of effort to learn.” Onew explained.

“Wow,” I whispered, thinking of the hard work just to learn to cook chicken rice, because it was not at all easy.

“Enjoy your meal,” Onew smiled, walking away.

“Oppa, you are not eating with us?” I asked concern about their dinner.

“I will have my share later,” Onew replied, “Don’t worry, Paige.”

“Let’s eat, Paige.” Jonghyun smiled.

“Thank you for the food.” I prayed. From appetizer to dessert, each and every dish was made by the boys. It was beyond words that I could describe how scrumptious the food taste and how grateful I was to them.

They were the perfect gift for my birthday.