CH:28

Blue Lotus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She took the bus back home. When she finally reached her place, she noticed that the door was opened. Her dad had just come back after a long while and as usual in a drunken state. He was holding himself up by holding onto the wall when he noticed Wanfahmai entered.

“Ahhh~ you’re back… Wanfahmai~” while continuing to walk towards his mattress.

“I should be the one saying that to you…” as Wanfahmai shot back.

He then turned around and slapped Wanfahmai across her face as he lamented, “You are rude as always… What do they even teach you in school nowadays…?”

Wanfahmai held back her anger but could no longer do it when he asked, “Where’s your mother?”

“Mae has passed away! Why do you even bother to ask? It’s not like you stayed home! And why do you even bother to come back?! You should have just drunk yourself to death!”

“You are such ungrateful child! How can you curse me like that! I never want to see you again!”

“Good! Neither do I…”

“If I knew better, I wouldn’t have raised you and take that woman in…”

Wanfahmai was about to storm out of the house in a hurry but was stop short in her track,

“What do you mean by that? What are you saying now?”

“Your mae didn’t tell you? You’re a bastard child!”

Wanfahmai was shocked to hear that revelation, but at the same time, she was too angry at everything to even care about what the man she had called father all this while, said to have any impact on her. It did not help that the elder was heavily drunk. Without a word, she left the house and slammed the door shut. She went to the nearest convenience store to get herself a drink to cool her anger down.

What difference does it makes if he said that? He has never taken care of the household like a father would as far as I could remember and now that mae is gone, he’s sure free to run off his mouth like that…

A lot of things went through her mind. But she was numb. As though nothing had happened, she then went to the family restaurant where she worked to inform the auntie that she might not be able to help out at the restaurant again.

“What do you plan to do Wanfahmai?”

“I might go back to school… Now that mae is no longer around…”

“Oh, that is good news Wanfahmai~ Yes indeed you should… That’s where you should have been… And if that’s the reason you are not coming to work here anymore… I will fully support it…”

“Khun pa you don’t wish to see me again?”

“Of course, I do… But your future doesn’t belong in this restaurant… I know you can do great things with your life, my dear child… And I no longer want to see your beautiful face being hurt again…”

Wanfahmai feigned ignorance to the last sentence the auntie had said and quickly pull the conversation away from that topic, “Kha khun pa… But for today… I’ll still help you out… Full shift…”

“Really? You will?”

“Yes… Of course! And when the shop is closed for break… I’ll keep you and granny companied… Is that okay?”

“Definitely… Our house is only upstairs… We would love you to join us for dinner…”

“Thank you Khun pa…”

She got herself ready and went on to carry out her job even though there were obvious bruises on her face from the match and the recent imprint that she got from the hard slap she received earlier on. Since it was her last day, even though her face was in an unfavourable condition, she helped out at the dining area and also the kitchen without much concern. The restaurant finally closed for the day, and the auntie along with granny gave her a tight hug before giving Wanfahmai, her last pay.

“Do still come and visit us here when you are not so busy with your school work… You are welcome anytime Wanfahmai…”

“Yes… I will… Definitely…”

The auntie went to the kitchen to carry on washing the dishes while the granny wanted to speak to Wanfahmai alone.

“Granny… You should go up and rest already….”

“It’s okay… I just wanted to talk to you for a little bit… Can’t I?”

“Yes, of course you can… That goes without saying…”

“This is not much but I want you to have it…” as she passed Wanfahmai an envelope.

“Granny…. I can’t accept this…”

“I’ve always seen you like my own grand-daughter. And I want to see you succeed because I know you can. You’ve got the right attitude young lady. All I wanted to do is to play a little part in your success… I can’t do much but I can definitely contribute in case you need to get some books or anything that you need for school.”

“Granny… I can never thank you enough… Thank you for allowing me to work here… And for taking care of me and cooking food for my late mother…”

“It was what I ought to do… Don’t you worry… But do call us often, okay?”

“Yes… Definitely…”

It was a bittersweet goodbye because Wanfahmai knew that she might not be able to stay in that neighbourhood since the only school available was the one that had expelled her and the school system would not allow her back into the school since the assailant and victim could not be placed together. Even though she knew very well that the victims were not victimised and were in fact the harasser. She was walking back to her home when she noticed that the door to her house was locked from the outside with a brand-new chain!

She tried to pick on the lock since she still needs to get some things important to her. She continued to pick on the lock but to no avail. She then tried to peel the small window open. She peeped through and sti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter