Caffeine

Talk To Me (Sequel to Don't Ignore Me)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Caffeine

Hyeri stared at the man blankly, her mind empty with a clutter. There stood the stranger, all long limbs and black skinny jeans, his black hair falling over a pair of appalled eyes. She thought back, trying to recall if she knew the person in front of her. How did he know of her identity? It was the only first day and someone has already found out about her. Crap. It wasn’t a good start.

Thank god she was trained to be unreadable. Her nonchalant and blank expression did the trick. The stranger was a little lost as well, worrying if he had gotten the wrong person. She was about to deny about her identity until he spoke up again, this time with a more determined mind, “You’re Myungsoo’s girlfriend, aren’t you?” Korean was used again. This guy was a witty one.

Damn.

She couldn’t oppose to him once Myungsoo’s name was mentioned. Her conscience wouldn’t permit her to do so because if she did, it would mean that she wasn’t Myungsoo’s girlfriend. But the truth was that she is and she shouldn’t deny it because her pride and status as his girlfriend would be down the drain.

“You are Hyeri. I remember your face – Myungsoo showed me a picture of you before.”

This guy had an excellent memory as well. Now, how could she say no to him?

“Yes, I am – you’re right,” she sighed in exasperation because her cover was blown so quickly. It wasn’t even a day yet. The thing she dreaded the most was to allow Myungsoo to find out about her arrival. She was hungry for a game of hide and seek. Myungsoo didn’t need to learn about her being here.

“I’m Minhyuk, Myungsoo’s close friend here,” he offered a handshake with a friendly smile and Hyeri knew he was trust-worthy because his eyes gave off a warm feeling. “I’m majoring in photography as well.”

Oh, so he was the talented Shin Minhyuk! Therefore, she was right about Myungsoo mentioning about him before. No wonder he appeared so familiar. What’s more, he was a close friend of Myungsoo – he ought to know about the things she didn’t know about him and… Yeon Hee.

Should she tell him about the purpose of her appearance? She knew Minhyuk was a good guy even it was their first meeting ever because there was this down-to-earth aura that emanated from him. Her secret should be safe with him.

“Does Myungsoo know you’re here?”

She shook her head, unable to explain to him if he probed more.

“So… it’s a surprise?”

“It’s complicated – do you have time now?” She herself found it surprising that she actually asked him for some time. He was just a stranger but her trust in him was prominent.

Minhyuk glanced at his watch and bit his lower lip in anxiety, “Well, actually… I’m meeting Myungsoo and another friend for dinner…”

Yeon Hee, her instinct yelled at her in fury.

“But if it’s that important, I don’t mind ditching them for this.”

 

✍ 

 

“Oh, really? That’s a pity… Well then… It’s okay. I get it – bye!” Yeon Hee pouted sadly of pretence. But she smiled to the latter in front of her and it reached her eyes, Myungsoo realized. She let out a giggle, in which Myungsoo could never understand why the sudden giggles.

“Minhyuk can’t join us, but it’s okay! It will just be… the two of us!” She chirped cheerfully and Myungsoo pondered on the reason as to his disappearance. Knowing that Minhyuk likes her, he wouldn’t just leave the two of them together, right? Myungsoo knew there was something important that Minhyuk was hiding.

Their food arrived and Yeon Hee gently swallowed her small serving of salad. She always ate salad when going out with the boys. She was already so thin and yet she was eating so little. Please don’t see it this way. Myungsoo just couldn’t understand why girls like to diet and eat little to look good. He was just caring for her as a friend. He didn’t want her to faint during dance class and she needed the energy to dance.

Hyeri slipped into his mind every now and then. He remembered her stuffing food down in front of him and she didn’t care how ridiculous or unladylike she would look. She would spill water or drop food on herself or on the table – they would just laugh about it together. He adored her clumsiness and the way she didn’t bother to hide her true self in front of boys or anyone for the matter.

He knew he shouldn’t compare Hyeri to Yeon Hee like that. But sometimes, it was inevitable. Yeon Hee was a female friend – surely she would have traits similar to Hyeri. However, he obviously knew they were two different people.

“So who is that lucky girl who has stolen your heart?”

Myungsoo gawked at Yeon Hee who was still smiling away but with a tad of despondency. There was a little choking of saliva but he collected himself and shot her a raised eyebrow. She responded with a meek smile, not realizing that she was adding salt to an open wound.

“The other time, I found out when you were talking to Minhyuk. But, you said it yourself the other night… so yeah, I’m just wondering.”

He stared at her, debating if he should tell her about the happenings between him and Hyeri. But he decided to forego with the explanation and long story. Yeon Hee wasn’t up there yet in his trustworthy list. There were still things he was suspicious about – like how come Minhyuk didn’t notice her till then and there was secrecy she was hiding. And those smirks that would play on her lips when they touched on some matters.

“We’re doing well. She’s not the lucky one… I’m the lucky one. She’s so perfect and wonderful – I don’t think I deserve her.”

Yeon Hee observed that his eyes lighted up when speaking about Hyeri. “No, she is the one who doesn’t deserve you. She’s the lucky ,” she wanted to yell at him and chide him to wake up but she kept it to herself. He was a foolish guy who was helplessly in love with the wrong girl. Yeon Hee thought he had better standards, he ought to widen his eyes open more. The girl that he should be in love with should be….

 

 

 

Hyeri rummaged through her purse for the important evidences. It sounded like she was under some investigation for a deadly crime or for some life or death matter. However, this was an urgent issue – she needed to dig up the truth. She couldn’t stand the lies and folktales that Yeon Hee has been spouting.

Not to mention, her purpose here was to patch up their broken relationship and understand Myungsoo more. She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter