Aftermath

Addictive

 

Without thinking twice, I turned right around and went back inside the room I thought I was safe from. I slammed the door closed and locked it. I pressed by back flat against the wall and breathed out, relieved.

 

“I thought I told you to scram.” Joon was getting pissed.  Oh, right. They’re still here, I remembered.

“I don’t know much about this stuff, but I think your boy scout hideout is under attack.” I gestured to the men who were patiently waiting outside.

 

The six boys jumped on their feet at once. The weird thing is that they didn’t look either alarmed or scared. Judging by their reaction, it could be only the pizza guy making a delivery and it would make no difference.

“They are like twice your ages.” I added to make sure they understood the gravity of the situation.

 

L, who had just woken up from a nice slumber, pushed me aside with a rude "Move, spy." and peeked through the peephole.

“It’s that gang from Incheon we beat up last time.” He sneered. “How were they called?”

“Weren’t they the Pussycat Dolls or something?” Gikwang answered, not very interested.

“They were the Blood Tigers, Gikwang.” Corrected Henry.

"What are we waiting for?” Taemin was all pumped up. “My knuckled are aching for some action.”

“With you five is enough.” Himchan said, reluctant to move from his seat. “I’ll pass this time, if you don’t mind.”

“I do freakin’ mind.” Joon hurled him a shoe he found laying around. “Get your off that chair and lets go. Oh, and spy,” He swung his head towards me as he took his school jacket off.

“You stay out of the way. Or go out and get killed. We don’t really mind.”

 

They walked out of the room as if they were some kind of supermodels. They all had their chin up, hands in pockets, and this haughty expression. They had ‘we are better than the whole world combined’ written all over their faces. If they got beaten up, it’s only because they asked for it.

 

“Deadly Six.” One of the unknown gangsters outside acknowledged. “So you finally decided to show those pathetic faces of yours.”

“Pussycat Dolls.” Joon mocked. “To whom do I owe this God awful displeasure to?”

 

I don’t know why, but I left the room and stood right behind the boys. If things went wrong, I would just head back inside and lock the door behind me.

 

“We’re not going to protect you or anything, if that’s what you’re thinking.” Himchan whispered to me. I nodded firmly. He looked at me suspiciously for a while, but then turned his attention back to the soon to be fight.

Someone should look after Taemin. I thought. He looked like he contracted rabies or something. His eyes were blazing with wrath and both of his fists were already clenched and trembling. “Calm down.” I whispered to him from behind, making sure only he heard. Something that I learned from that snobby family of mine, is that knowing how to speak well can save you from horrible confrontations. But somehow I doubted they were looking for a diplomatic solution. “You’re just asking for unnecessary trouble.”

 

“You just shut the up.” He snapped at me.

Okay, so he doesn’t want any help. That’s cool. Just go ahead and bite everyone’s heads off if you so desire. I stepped back and let the gangs do their gang business.

 

“We’re not here to fight, even thought I’d love to kill you in the spot.” The gangster answered Joon’s question.

Gikwang snorted. “Weren’t you the one that ended up crying last time?”

The guy blushed furiously, but managed to keep under control.

“Here, you disgusting brats.” He threw an envelope to Joon’s feet. “It’s from our leader. He’s been wanting to know if you would join our side.”

“Oh, then we should be polite and answer him right away.” L picked the envelope and opened it savagely. He produced a pen out of his pocket and started writing. “Hey, how do you spell ‘Go screw yourself’? Anyone knows?”

 

I bit my lips to hold in the laughter.

 

“We’re not interested.” Joon refused coldly. “Now get out of my sight.”

 

“I was hoping you would say something like that.” The guy’s eyes gleamed deviously. “When we report back to the boss he will not hold back. If I were you, I would start looking for a nice place in the cemetery.”

“Why? Can’t you even looked for your own death beds by yourselves?” Himchan taunted.

“Lets see for how long you can keep up the macho act.” The man grunted. It may have been my imagination, but I could swear I saw him glare at me for a good twenty seconds before leaving with the rest of his group.

“Boooooring.” L yawned. “I’m going back to sleep.”

 

Taemin looked the most disappointed, but he clamed himself a little after.

 

“Wah, we’re so popular!” Henry beamed enthusiastically.

“Shut up.” Gikwang caught the red head in a headlock and dragged him inside.

When they all headed back inside, I unconsciously followed them. However, I crashed against Joon’s back after he stopped abruptly in front of me.

“And exactly where do you think you’re going?” He pushed me back with a single finger.

He’s right! What am I even doing?!

“We saw how that guy looked at you, and that means trouble. For us, to be exact. Stay away or I might just lose my temper.” He slammed the door closed in my face, which made me flinch.

“Bye-bye bunny!” I heard Henry shouting from the inside.

 

For a while I just stood there, gazing pensively at the closed door. For some reason, going back home seemed more depressive than usual. When I finally began to make my way home, I made sure to memorize exactly the place in which I had been for the last couple of hours.

 

-Inside the base-

 

“Did she left?” Henry asked his leader. Joon walked to the door and opened the door just a crack to make sure she had disappeared.

“Seems like it.” He closed the door and dumped himself in the couch. The cushions were still wet from the water he had thrown on the girl’s face.

“Weird chick...” Mumbled L, more asleep than awake.

“I know right.” Himchan agreed. He was still thinking of the moment when he told her no one was going to help her. He was expecting her to complain or run away, but she just nodded and looked straight at him with fearless eyes. She seemed so afraid of us earlier, he thought.

 

Taemin, who was sitting in a corner with a book in his hands, was having similar thoughts. ‘Calm down’ she had told him ‘You’re just asking for unnecessary trouble.’

 

How dare she give me any sort of advice?! Who does she think she is telling the powerful Taemin to “calm down”? She was just some useless and weak female, like every other girl he had met in his life.

“Yah, would you drop that book?” Leader Joon complained. “It’s driving me crazy looking at you doing smart things.”

“I’m bored.” He answered flatly. “And no offense, but you guys aren’t the most interesting people in the world. There isn’t much for me to do around here.” He still regretted not planting his fist in the face of that that came looking for them that afternoon.

 

Minutes later, everyone had forgotten about the girl whose name was still unknown. The silent curiosity they all had at the beginning vanished completely and they went back to their usual selves. The past was the past, and forgetting all about it was the specialty of the Deadly Six.

 

“So, what do you think about Blood Tiger’s request?” Gikwang approached the leader and sat at the feet of the couch. “It’s making be uneasy.” Gikwang always thought ahead of everyone else. He felt responsible for keeping the kids save from possible danger. They were the only family he had left.

“I know.” Joon replied seriously. It was one of those uncommon moments when Joon was calmed and pensive. “We have to be careful. We turned them down pretty harsh. I wouldn’t be surprised if they appear on out door tomorrow with a damn machine gun.”

“Do you think they might have seen her?” Gikwang asked, more quietly this time. Joon closed his eyes and stayed quiet for a moment.

“Who?” He finally replied.

“Never mind. It’s not important anyways.” Gikwang sighed and left the leader to rest for a while.

 

-Back at the Jeung residence-

 

That night, Minji had trouble sleeping. Her head was filled the Deadly Six. She had felt a rush she hadn’t felt in years. Even thinking about everything that happened that day made her heart speed up. But she knew it was time to get back to reality. That momentarily escape she experienced was just that, a moment. Now she had to return back to her cage.

 

Next morning, she woke up with her mother sitting next to her. She gave a startled jump and rubbed her eyes to make sure she wasn’t dreaming.

 

“What is it?” She dropped her head back in her pillow and gave her back to Mrs. Jeung.

“There is someone that I want you to meet.” Her mother said, ecstatic.

“Perfect. Just perfect.” Minji muttered. She knew what was coming next.

“His name is Kim Jonghyun.” Her mother clapped her hands together. “He is just lovely.”

“Who is Kim Jonghyun?” Minji asked. “Oh, wait. I think I know. He is the son of the president of this huge company. He is intelligent, handsome, funny, and every thing I’ve always wanted. Plus he is dying to meet me!” She said sarcastically.

“You are so fortunate that he is interested in you.” Mrs. Jeung pulled the sheets from her daughter.

“Jeez, lucky me.” The girl shut her eyes tightly and hoped this was just a nightmare. Interested on me or my money?

“If you get up and start dressing up right now we might still make it on time.” Mrs. Jeung walked to Minji’s closet and started picking out some possible outfits.

“You know what, mother?” Minji smiled knowing that today she had a perfect excuse to get out of this one. “I would love to meet him. I really would. Unfortunately, I have school, and education is my priority.”

“Oh you’re right!” Her mother gasped, falling completely into Minji’s trap. “Why didn’t I thought about it earlier?”

“That’s okay.” Minji jumped out of bed and pulled her uniform from the closet. “If you see the lovely Jonghyun, please send him my regards. Oh, and tell him I have an upcoming change surgery, so meeting in the feature won’t be possible.”

“Jeung Minji! What nonsense are you spouting?” Mrs. Jeung was outraged by her daughter carefree words.

“I was just saying.” Minji shrugged indifferently and walked to the bathroom to get ready for school.