invitation

Addictive

 

“Did you heard?”

 

“About Jeung Minji’s birthday party? Of course!”

 

“They said the wealthiest and most powerful men of all Korea are going to be there.”

 

“I heard she’ll be giving away diamond jewelry to her guests as souvenirs.”

 

“I heard they were cars.”

 

“Woah, I would do anything for an invite.”

 

“I’d do anything to be adopted into her family.”

 

“Tell be about it…”

 

A few days later everyone seemed to know about Minji’s party. There were only a couple of days left for the big celebration, but she still had to do one important thing: invite the Deadly Six. She had been walking around with the six golden invitations in her bag ever since they were printed.

 

How do I even know that they’ll actually go? I wouldn’t want to go either.

 

“Minji!” Sunhi jumped on Minji’s back. “I can’t wait for the big day! I just found the most perfect dress EVER! Ohmygosh it’s gonna be amazing.”

 

“Totally.” Minji forced a smile.

 

“You’re not excited.” Sunhi widened her eyes. “Why aren’t you excited?!”

 

“You know this isn’t my type of thing, Sunhi.” Minji sighed, exhausted. “And who came up with the ‘she’ll be giving away cars’ rumor? What am I? Oprah?”

 

“Oh you know how those people are. They try to make their lives more interesting make making up rumors.”

 

“I know, I know.” Minji nodded.

 

“But.” Sunhi smiled slyly. “There is one rumor I am actually interested in.”

 

There was a dramatic pause.

 

“People are saying you invited Jonghyun. As a date. And that this party is were you will meet his parents.”

 

“Oh and don’t tell me. The party is just a set up. It is actually mine and Jonghyun’s wedding!” Minji said cynically.

 

“Be serious!” Sunhi shook Minji by the shoulders.

 

“You know that those rumors are obviously a lie, idiot.” Minji flicked her best friend’s forehead. “If he is going it is only because my mother invited him.”

 

“I knew it!” Sunhi smiled satisfied. “You would’ve totally told me first.”

 

“You know it.” Minji winked. “Now lets go to class. We’ve got a beautiful calculus test in fifteen minutes.”

 

 

“So what are we doing this weekend?” Himchan whispered during class. By pure “coincidence” the six boys happened to occupy the whole back left corner of the class. Their constant whispering was no longer an unusual thing to hear during every single class.

 

“You don’t have any dates this weekend? What happened? You finally caught an STD or something?” Taemin provoked Himchan without taking his eyes from the math problem he was solving at lightning speed.

 

“I just thought it would be nice to do something different. All that fighting is not very good for mi skin.”

 

“Trust me. Skin is the least of your problems.” Joon smirked.

 

“We haven’t seen Minji in a while.” Henry sighed and rested his head on his hand.

 

“You’re right.” Taemin looked up from his notebook.

 

“Maybe she finally went back to her senses.” Gikwang popped a few chocolate chips into his mouth.

 

“Maybe.” L repeated.

 

 

When the final bell rang the six were already standing at the door with their back packs in hand. They yawned and stretched as they made their way to the main entrance through the hallways of their all-boys school.

 

“Bro, there’s a totally rich looking chick at the gate.” Some guy informed his friend. “She’s got the uniform of that expensive high school two streets form here.”

 

“What the hell is she doing here? She lost or something?”

 

“Beats me.”

 

“She hot?” His friend chuckled.

 

“She’s a solid 8.”

 

“Then what are we waiting for?” The two boys turned to run two the exit. But before they could even take the first step, two sets of hands grasped their shoulders like iron tourniquets.

 

“Well hello there, fine gentlemen.” Joon stepped in front of the two scared looking sophomores.

 

“L-Lee Joon.” One of them whispered. Their faces turned two shades paler.

 

“Such a nice conversation you two were having.” Taemin, who was holding on to one of the boys, tightened his grip. “Would you mind repeating what you said just now?”

 

“H-Huh?”

 

“You know, about that solid 8 girl.” Henry grumbled. “And make it fast.”

 

“There is a girl standing at the front gate. She seems to be waiting for someone.” One of them explained hastily.

 

“How does she look like?” Gikwang shoved one of the boys lightly on the shoulder.

 

“I-I don’t know. Short hair, pretty face, not very tall…”

 

“That’s enough.” Joon stopped them. “Lets go.” He gestured the other fives to follow him. “Looks like Minji came to pay us a visit.”

 

As soon as they stepped out of the building, they noticed the small girl standing among a sea of boys. Her back was flat against the column of the gate and she held her leather backpack tightly against her chest.

 

“What are you doing here?” Joon was the first one to reach her.

 

“Oh, hi.” She smiled. “I was waiting for you guys?”

 

“And why in the world would you come all the way to our school.” Taemin asked.

 

“I have something to give you guys.” She replied. “I had to do it before I chickened out.”

 

“What? More food?” L eyed her backpack suspiciously.

 

“A date?” Himchan guessed.

 

“Here.” She reached into her backpack and pulled out six golden envelopes. She handed one to each of the boys.

 

“Money?” Henry observed the envelope.

 

“This is an invitation.” Gikwang logically deducted. “For what?”

 

“My birthday. It’s this weekend.” Minji looked at them with puppy eyes, hoping they would agree to come.

 

“You out of your mind?” Joon laughed out loud. “I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but we’re not the type of people to go to those fancy events.

 

“Yeah, and this looks very freaking fancy if you ask me.” L waved the invitation in the air.

 

“I know. If it was for me I wouldn’t even be having this stupid party.” Minji stomped her feet childishly. “Please, please come.”

 

“As handsome as I may look I a tux, formal stuff is not really my cup of tea.” Himchan frowned while reading the invitation.

 

“I don’t know, Minji. Seems like a lot of important people will be going.” Henry scratched his head. “I don’t think we will fit in that crowd. Think about your image.”

 

“Who gives a damn about my image!” Minji snapped.

 

The six boys exchanged uncertain glances. Minji sighed and threw her backpack over her shoulder.

 

“You’re right. Sorry I invited you.” She looked at her feet disappointedly and the walked away back to the main street, leaving the boys standing at the gate.

 

“Oh man.” L reread the invitation. “I think we hurt her or something.”

 

“Duh. She came all the way to hand us this invitations.” Henry said.

 

“It’s just not our thing, alright?” Joon stuffed the envelope into his pocket. “Lets go eat something.”

 

 

Minji walked back home with a terrible mood. Now she was going to have to handle that party all by herself. Those six traitors were not going. She knew the chances weren’t high, but she honestly believed they would do it for her. Maybe they were not as friends as she thought. They have only known each other for a couple of weeks, after all.

 

When she got home, the obnoxious preparations started. She was forced to try dress after dress until her mother chose the right dress for her.

 

“Minji, this arrived this morning.” Her mother handed her a small box wrapped in silver paper. “Isn’t it nice?”

 

Minji took the box from her mother’s hands and read the small ivory card that was attached to the present.

 

To Minji,

 

I’m sure they will not shine as brightly as you will on your special night, but I hope you will still wear them.

 

Love,

Jonghyun.

 

Minji tossed the card aside and opened the box carefully to reveal a pair of diamond earrings. They were not one of those over the top earrings that looked more like chandeliers and jewelry. They were small, discreet, and elegant. Minji couldn’t deny that they were absolutely beautiful.

 

“What a nice boy.” Mrs. Jeung commented. “You should give him a call. Or better yet, pay him a small visit.”

 

“I know what you’re trying to do, mom.” Minji closed the box and placed it on top of her dresser. “Stop it.”

 

“What and ungrateful child.” Her mother scoffed and walked out of the room to continue supervising the rest of the preparations.

 

Kim Jonghyun, what the hell are you up to? She meditated while staring at the silver box.

 

 

“Sang Il.” A man  approached Jeung Sang Il with a smile in his face. “It’s been a while.”

“Seungho.” Sang Il gave him a brotherly hug. “I’ve missed you bro.”

 

“How’s college going?” Seungho asked.

 

“It’s alright.” Sang Il shrugged. “And how about you? Family business doing okay?”

 

“Better than ever.” Seungho smiled proudly.

 

Both men had been best friends since they could remember. Seungho had been Sang Il’s right hand all through high school, when Sang Il used to run the school and most of Seoul. They had agreed to meet at their favorite restaurant after Sang Il said he had a few questions.

 

“So.” Seungho sat crossed legged on a couch at the bar area. “What is it that you wanted to ask me?”

 

“It’s about someone, actually.” Sang Il sipped from his glass of scotch.

 

“This takes me back to our high school days.” Seungho chuckled.

 

“What do you know about Kim Jonghyun?”

 

“Kim Jonghyun? Of the Kim Enterprises?” Seungho looked at his friend as if he had lost his mind. “I know he’s filthy rich, but then again, everybody knows that.”

 

“You know what I mean, Seungho.”

 

“Well, I can’t deny I have heard a few rumors here and there about that kid.” Seungho lowered his voice and sat closer to Sang Il. “People used to say that the boy has been seen a few times hanging around an unusual crowd.”

 

“What do you mean by unusual crowd?”

 

“Gangsters.” Saungho whispered. “The Blood Tigers, to be exact.”

 

“You don’t say.” Sang Il smiled victoriously.

 

“But those are just rumors, you know?” Seungho leaned back on his seat and ordered another drink. “Why are you interested all of a sudden?”

 

“Old habits die hard.” Sang Il said. “And that punk has been hanging around my sister lately. I don’t like it one bit.”

 

“You are even scarier than before, Jeung Sang Il.” Seungho punched the other man playfully in the arm.

 

“I hope so.” Sang Il smirked. I’ve got you, you sneaky little bastard.