Party

Addictive

 

“I think I’m gonna be sick.” Minji carefully got off from Tamin’s bike. Her face was a few shades paler and her hair had transformed into some sort of bird nest.

 

“You didn’t think I would actually walk all the way here, did you?” Taemin turned off the engine and pulled the keys from the ignition.

 

“Um, actually I did.” She said while combing her hair with her fingers. “Seriously, I feel like I am about to throw up a lung.”

 

“Stop being so whiney and lets just get the food.” Taemin pulled her along to the restaurant. It was a small Italian place the boys frequented.

 

“Taemin!” A waiter walked to the entrance to welcome the young boy. “It’s been so long!” Then he noticed Minji standing behind Taemin. “And you brought a girl. Out of you guys, I honestly thought you would be the most unlikely to get a girlfriend.”

 

“She’s not my girlfriend.” He shot the guy a look. “She’s just some girl that keeps following us around all the time.”

 

“Hey!” Minji complained. “I do not follow you around all the time…”

 

“Be nice, Taeminnie.” The waiter flicked the boy’s forehead. “Girls should be treated with care. Especially cute ones like.”

 

“Could you stop the lecture and bring me the usual order?” Taemin rubbed his forehead. Then he noticed Minji eyeing the food on the other tables hungrily. “And add an extra dish of pasta while you’re at it.”

 

“You rude little brat.” The waiter wrote down the order and went back to the kitchen.

 

“Thanks.” Minji said. “You know, for ordering.”

 

“Whatever.” Taemin said.

 

“So, why did you come along with me?”

 

“No reason. I’m getting bored of spending every single day in that stuffy room.”

 

“I would love to spend my free time in that room.” Minji mumbled. “It’s a million times better than staying home.”

 

“Do you really hate your family that much? Rich people should just be happy that they are rich. Stop complaining about stupid things.”

 

“No, I don’t hate them.” Minji smiled melancholically. “It’s just that they live a life full of appearances. Do you know what it feels like to even have your friends picked out for you just for the sake of ‘good connections’?”

 

Taemin stayed quiet, but he was listening carefully at Minji’s words.

 

“You probably don’t. That should be nice.” Minji looked at her feet. “I must sound like such an ungrateful girl, but I…” Then she sighed. “Never mind.”

 

“You can talk, you know.” Taemin broke the silence. “If you’re angry, you can say so. Or if you’re sad, you can cry. Who the hell has the right to tell you not to? Speak your mind, for God’s sake. Stop being such a push over.”

 

“A push over?” Minji repeated a bit hurt. She had never been called a push over before.

 

“Yeah. You just agree with whatever we say. You even promised to buy us food. What’s up with that? When you head-butted the out of your bro the other day, that who you should be.”

 

Minji wasn’t sure of what to say now. She always thought of herself as an independent person. Apparently, she had been wrong all along.

 

“And it’s not like you can’t come to the base whenever you want.” Taemin added in a low voice.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Aish, you stupid chick.” Taemin grabbed the order that had just been brought to us and headed for the exit. “Dinner is on you, by the way.” Then he left to wait outside.

 

 

“Do you always drive this fast?” Minji asked, once again her head was spinning on her shoulders.

 

“Get used to it already.” Taemin got off the bike first this time and in a rare act of kindness he helped Minji down. “You can stand, right?” He asked, looking at her straight in the eyes.

 

Up until that moment, Minji had never felt any sort of warmth from Taemin, but tonight was different. She saw a side of him she never thought he would show her.

 

“I’m fine.” She smiled at the boy. The boy immediately released her hand and turned around. “T-Then jus hurry.”

 

Minji was sure she had seen Taemin’s cheeks turn a slight shade of pink. Is he…blushing? Why?

 

“Yo, how long are you planning to stand there?” Joon kicked the door open from the inside. “I’m freaking dying of hunger over here.”

 

“We brought the food!” Minji showed him the bags from the Italian restaurant.

 

“You better have. Now get your asses inside.”

 

“Hello Minji.” Henry waved cheerfully. He was finally back from his violin lessons. “Aw, I wanted to be the one to go with you!”

 

“It’s okay. Taemin did a good job helping me with the food.” She told him. Taemin smirked at Henry after hearing Minji’s remark.

 

“I bet he did.” Himchan whistled.

 

“What is that supposed to mean?” Taemin snapped.

 

“Easy kid. I was joking.” Himchan ruffled Taemin’s hair. “Or was I?” he added slyly.

 

“You-“

 

“You two shut up and eat.” Joon told them.

 

“Yah! You got my order wrong!” L threw his fork against the floor angrily. “You know I hate shellfish and you bought me lobster pasta?!”

 

“Don’t blame me. I ordered the usual. It must have been their mistake.” Taemin said while devouring his pepperoni pizza.

 

“You can have mine if you want. It has meatballs.” Minji pushed her plate towards L.

 

“Um, i-it’s okay. I’ll just eat mine.” L was suddenly looking embarrassed. “Really, you can just eat yours.”

 

“Are you sure? I don’t mind.” Minji insisted. “Here.” She exchanged her plate with L’s.

 

“Thanks.” L whispered.

 

Um, i-it’s okay. I’ll just eat mine.” Himchan quoted L. “What’s up with that embarrassed maiden act?”

 

“Yeah, if it had been me, you would have shoved that lobster pasta down my throat. Fork and everything.” Henry said.

 

“You are sure talkative today, huh.” L pinched Himchan’s arm and twisted it.

 

“Ouch!” Himchan whimpered. “You punk!”

 

“Just eat.” Gikwang rolled his eyes, annoyed by the excess of noise.

 

Minji returned home after eating dinner. Henry had offered to take her home, but she declined the offer. She was more of a walking person.

 

“Minji?” Mrs. Jeung called form upstairs as soon as she heard the front door opening. “Is that you?”

 

“Yeah.” Minji answered. “I just came back.”

 

“Good” Mrs. Jeung came down the stairs gracefully. She was already in her satin nightgown. “I have a surprise for you.”

 

“Oh no…” Minji muttered. She had feared this moment since the beginning of the month.

 

“Your birthday is coming soon.” Her mother began. Her words were filled with excitement and anticipation. “So we decided to host a big party to celebrate! Right in this house!”

 

“You did what?!” Minji’s eyes widened. “Mom! What were you thinking?”

 

“Your father and I think it is time for you to start getting to know everyone on our social circle. It might help you in a future.” Mrs. Jeung explained. “Can you imagine? A formal party in your honor! I’m already excited.”

 

“You don’t say.” Minji was not sure whether to laugh or cry at the sight of her mother jumping up and down eagerly.

 

“Besides, you can invite any of your friends. I would be delighted to meet them.”

 

“I can invite anyone I want?” Minji asked hopefully.

 

“Of course, honey.”

 

“Then I will.” Minji smiled. I have six friends in mind that you will just love. She thought mischievously.

“And I took the liberty to invite Jonghyun and his family, as well.” Her mother added nonchalantly. “You two will look perfect together.”

 

“You took the liberty?! Who gave you that liberty in the first place?” Minji pulled on her hair, frustrated at her mother’s ideas. “Of all people you just HAD to invite him!”

 

“Be nice, Minji. He has a very powerful family. It would be of great benefit for you if you ever marry him.” Her mother scolded. “Now go to bed. You will get dark circles under your eyes if you don’t rest properly.”

 

“See if I care!” Minji stomped her foot and ran upstairs.

 

Stupid, stupid, stupid mom!