Money matters

Addictive

 

The fancy school uniform drove Minji her crazy. If it was up to her, she would rather wear trousers, just like the boys. It’s not like she wasn’t a total tomboy or anything, it was just a matter of comfort.

 

“Minji!” She heard someone call her name from behind her.

 

“Mm?” She swung her head to look who was it but kept walking. “Oh, it’s you, Sunhi.”

 

“I’ve been calling you for ages!” She pouted her perfectly glossed lips. “Why are you so mean?”

 

Sunhi was Minji’s best friend. She was the typical rich lady who indulged herself in the luxury and pleasures her life offered. Her family was not as important as Minji’s, but she still took advantage of all the privileges she could. Under normal circumstances, Minji would have despised anyone remotely like Sunhi, but she was different. She knew that Sunhi was very kind and never discriminated anyone based on social status. Nowadays, and specially in their elite school, people like that were hard to find. Another thing they had in common was that they both loved walking to school instead of going by car.

 

“Where were you yesterday?” Sunhi stomped her expensive shoes against the pavement while they waited to cross the street. “I called you, like, a billion times.”

 

“Sorry.” Minji looked away from her friend. She was a terrible liar and she knew it. “My mom caught me as soon as I returned home. I was held captive the whole afternoon. You know, trying dresses and stuff.”

 

“Dresses!” Sunhi said with delight. “You should have called me! You know I love things like that.”

 

“Next time.” Minji promised. She felt bad for not telling her friend the whole truth. But how could she tell her that some gang called Deadly Six kidnapped her? It was better to just forget about the whole incident. She wanted some action in her life, but gang fights were just a little too much.

 

“Wow!” Sunhi gasped and tugged on Minji’s blazer. “Hot guys alert!” She gestured at some guys who were standing in front of rice cake stand a few meters ahead of us. Six guys, to be exact.

 

Minji stared at the six familiar figures, frozen. What was she supposed to do now? She wished she could just throw her head inside her brown leather backpack and keep walking unnoticed.

 

“I’ve never seen them around before. If I had I would definitely remember.” Sunhi tilted her head to try and take a better look of the guys. “Where are their uniforms from? A public high school?”

 

“More like juvi…” Minju said under her breath.

 

“Should we talk to them?” Sunhi jumped excitedly while applying another layer of lip gloss.

 

“NO!” Minji panicked. “Lets just go to school, alright?”

 

“Fine.” Sunhi agreed, not too happy.

 

Okay,” Minji thought and took a deep breath. “You’re invisible, Minji. No one can see you; you’re like the air. Just walk by calmly and discreetly.“

 

“Buy me food, leader.” Henry stomach grumbled at the sight of fresh made rice cakes. “Please~” He puffed his cheeks.

 

“Would you stop that? It creeps me out.” Joon looked at him, disgusted. He didn’t want to admit it, but the sweet and spicy smell was mouth watering. “Yah, buy me food. Now.” He elbowed Gikwang on the stomach.

 

“Why don’t you try using your own money at least once in your life? You’ll see it ain’t so bad.” Gikwang snorted.

 

“Why are we so God damn broke?” Taemin complained. He didn’t even have dinner last night. “Some of you should get jobs already.”

 

Himchan was texting a few thousand girls while the others whined about food. He had a piece of dead weight called L snoring peacefully on his shoulder. When he looked up from his cellphone screen, he smiled mischievously at his newfound discovery.

 

“Yo, guys.” He called the rest of the boys, which had drool running down his mouth. “If you’re so hungry, how about eating some bunny?” Himchan smirked.

 

“What the hell is this crazy bastard talking about?” Taemin scratched his head.

 

Himchan chuckled and gestured with his head at the two girls that walked hastily past them.

 

“Oh, the chick from yesterday!” Henry pointed his finger at her.

 

“I knew she was a rich . That uniform is from that snobby high school that’s right around this corner.” Joon said, proud of his own observation skills.

 

“Should we ask for a small loan?” Taemin suggested. “We did saved her yesterday. I mean, we could have just left her to rot after Himchan knocked her unconscious.”

 

“I didn’t-“ Himchan reacted, but decided to drop it. “Ugh, whatever.”

 

“You’re totally right, Taemin.” Joon said with a naughty grin. “The least she could do to thank us is giving us some of her money to buy food, right?”

 

“Exactly.” Taemin nodded.

 

On the other hand, Minji was sure she was safe now. She couldn’t believe she had actually walked by unnoticed. Now all she had to do is get to school and-

 

“Yo, spy!” Joon shouted. Minji reacted with a startled flinch, but played dumb and kept walking.

 

“Are you ignoring me, ?!” The leader was outraged. “Yah, who the do you think you are?!”

 

People began to turn around to see what was the commotion about, but Minji just kept walking.

 

“H-hey.” Sunhi wrapped her arm around Minji’s, uneasy. “Their not talking to us, are they?”

 

Minji could hear them getting closer and closer until she realized she had no escape.

 

“Sunhi, you go ahead.” She pushed her friend to keep her walking. “I’m going to the convenience store to buy some aspirins.” Sunhi stared at Minji quizzically.

 

“You’re not feeling well? Maybe I should go with you.” Sunhi refused to move from the spot.

 

“Nah.” Minji patted the other girl in the shoulder. “I don’t want to make you late. Go. It will take only a few minutes.”

 

“I guess I’ll see you at school then.” Sunhi said. She knew there was something weird going on, but still did as Minji told her. When she disappeared around the corner, Minji turned around to face the Deadly Six.

 

“What do you want.” She asked flatly. The six guys closed up on her, leaving her with no way to escape.

 

“You’re pretty cheeky, ignoring us like that.” Himchan smirked.

 

“And rude, too. When you see people you know in the street you should say hi. I thought you ladies where all about etiquette.” L yawned and wiped his watery eyes.

 

Minji clenched the hem of her skirt with both hands. She didn’t know what they wanted with her, but it made her very nervous.

 

“Relax, bunny. We just came to borrow some spare change.” Taemin said with a very innocent voice, even if his eyes where the complete opposite.

 

“You want money?” Minji raised an eyebrow. She was supposed to go to Sunhi’s favorite restaurant with her after class so she had plenty of money in her wallet. She let go of her skirt and clutched her bag instead. “Am I being robbed or what?”

 

“Us? Thieves?” Joon laughed. “Of course not!” The others laughed as if their leader had just made the funniest joke ever. “It’s not robbery if you give it to us voluntarily.”

 

“I’m not giving you a cent.” Minji said harshly. She may not be strong in anyway, but she was not going to give in to some stupid gang. “I have to go to school.” And she pushed her way through the wall of guys.

 

“Have it your way.” Joon shrugged. “Maybe we should go and ask that little friend of yours if she can help us with our little financial issue.”

 

The others exchanged uncomfortable glances. Gikwang grabbed the leader’s shoulder to stop him from doing something stupid, but he just shrugged the hand off.

 

Minji stopped on her tracks and walked towards Joon until she was inches from his face.  “Don’t you dare lay a finger on her.” Her voice was like acid. Joon was taken back for a moment because of the threat. But then answered just as severely.

 

“What if I do, huh? How do you plan to stop me, you wench?”

 

The truth is Joon didn’t mean a word he said. They had never hurt innocent people before, unless they were provoked. Anything that had to do with robbing was against their rules. But the fearless gangster never accepted threats from anyone, and seeing this girl talk to him in that manner made his blood boil.

 

However, that last phrase hit one of Minji’s nerves. She opened her bag furiously, reached for her wallet, and smashed it against the floor, right next to Joon’s feet.

 

“People who would hurt other for money are just trash. You disgust me.” Her voice was sharp like a knife. The other member of the gangs stared at the scene with their mouths hanging open. They couldn’t believe their leader was being told off like that. “You want money? Well there you go.” Then she swirled around and began to make her way to school with angry steps. She didn’t even turned to see Joon’s reaction.

 

Money, money, money. Is that the only thing people think about?! She fumed as she entered the school gates just in time for the first bell.