Suspicion

Addictive

 

The weekend was over before Minji could even notice. First period hadn’t even started and the girl was already wishing she could go home. To make everything worst, Sunhi was home with a cold and was probably going to be absent for a couple of days. She sighed gloomily on her seat and looked out the window.

 

“Hey Minji.” Someone tapped her shoulder.

 

“Jonghyun.” She acknowledged a bit startled.  “Why are you in my class?”

 

“Just came by to check up on you.” He observed her from head to toe. Then he approached Minji’s ear and whispered. “Seems like those wounds are all better now.”

 

“Y-Yeah.” She pulled her face away from his. It didn’t matter how perfect Jonghyun features were, or how radiant his smile appeared to be, or how his laugh sounded as beautiful as music, Minji still had a hard time trusting him. His cold eyes the other day were still imprinted in her memory. She couldn’t help but feel suspicious of him.

 

“Omo, Jonghyun is here!” The girls began to gossip. “He rarely leaves his class.”

 

“And he is with Minji. I knew there was something going on between those two.”

“But there is a rumor saying that she was seen on a date with some commoner last week…”

 

“Jeung Minji? Impossible. She is far too important to be dating someone lesser than Kim Jonghyun.”

 

Can’t they just keep their mouths shut for a minute? Minji thought with annoyance.

 

“You seem angry.” Jonghyun noticed. Then he sat comfortably in Sunhi’s seat and leaned forward on Minji’s desk. “You don’t like them talking about you?”

 

“Would you like hearing gossips about you from complete strangers?”

 

“I guess I don’t really mind. Like it or not, people will always talk about people like you and me. We are meant to be in the spotlight.”

 

“But you lie being the center of attention. How would you feel if everyone observed you 24/7? Don’t you have any secrets or a private life you would like to keep, well, private?” Minji asked him.

 

“As a matter of fact, I do have secrets.” Once again, that dark expression filled Jonghyun’s face. But this time, instead of running away, Minji observed him carefully.

 

“Who are you, really?” She accidentally thought out loud.

 

“Excuse me?” Jonghyun was taken back.

 

“Oh, sorry. It’s nothing.” She covered as soon as she realized what she had said.

 

“I should go to class now. See you around.” He winked and headed calmly to towards the classroom door. Everything he did seemed that way. Relaxed, confident, elegant; his perfect character stood out everywhere he went. So why was it that Minji couldn’t bring herself to like him?

 

She is much more observant than I thought. Should I be more careful next time? Jonghyun thought with a smirk as he walked down the hall to his own class.

 

 

What are you doing here?” Minji asked Il Sung bitterly, who was in the driver’s seat of his fancy white car.

 

“I came to pick you up. You know, as an apology for yesterday.” He took his sunglasses off and looked at her earnestly.

 

“After what happened last time, I’d rather crawl all the way to Japan that driving a single block with you.”

 

“Those are some harsh words.” Someone said from behind her. It was Jonghyun again. Is he following me? She rolled her eyes.

 

“Jonghyun, this is none of your business.” She told him in a polite tone.

 

“Who is that?” Il Sung got off his car and locked the door. Then he walked next to his sister and leaned casually on her shoulder. She shoved him away immediately. 

 

“I’m Kim Jonghyun, Minji’s friend from school.” The boy extended his hand. Il Sung hesitated for a moment, but then shook it.

 

“Jeung Il Sung, Minji’s brother.” He introduced himself.

 

“Okay, fine.” Minji gave up. “I’ll ride with you if we leave right this instant.”

 

“As you wish.” Il Sung opened the passenger’s door for his sister and then proceeded to get back to his driver’s seat. But before leaving, he gave Jonghyun one last glance. The high school boy just waved in return.

 

“Who is he?” Il Sung asked Minji as soon as he started the car.

 

“Are you deaf? He just told you.” Minji answered.

 

“I know what he said.” He replied.

 

“Why are you asking then?”  Minji looked at her brother as if he was a complete retard. But still, she was curious to know what was her brother thinking.

 

“There is something strange about him.” He explained. “When he introduced himself, the way he looked at me was almost…threatening?”

 

Il Sung tried to remember exactly how Minji’s friend looked like. He obviously had good looks, but there was something else. Something dangerous. The way he said ‘Minji’s friend’ sounded kind of possessive. As if Minji was his property. Il Sung could recognize a real threat from miles away, and Jonghyun was definitely not as nice as he appeared to be.

 

“What, you scared of a high school boy?” Minji teased.

 

“More like pissed off.” He accelerated the car violently. “I don’t want you around that guy.”

 

“You’re going to start with that again?” Minji said. “Save your breath.”

 

“I’m not joking, Minji.” Her brother warned. “Keep your distance. At least until I know who he is, exactly.”

 

“Fine.” Minji agreed. Even is she didn’t want to do as her big bro told her, she knew there was something wrong about Jonghyun. Just this time she would be a nice girl and do as told. “But it’s not like I go to him. He just pops out of nowhere.”

 

“Just keep my words in mind, sis.”

 

Minji nodded once and the rest of the trip was completely silent.

 

That afternoon, Minji once again decided to pay a visit to the Deadly Six. She wasn’t sure if they were angry with her for her brother’s stupidity, but she had to make sure. She was so focus in leaving without her brother noticing that once outside she didn’t notice a strange figure following her.

 

Minji walked down the familiar path until she reached the alley. She confidently walked to the door and instead of knocking she simply went right inside.

 

The stranger stopped following her as soon as she turned around the corner into the alley. He pulled out his cell phone and dialed a number quickly.

 

“It’s me boss. Jeung Minji just walked into the Deadly Six’s base. No one forced her, she just walked inside.” He reported as soon as someone picked up.

 

“Are you sure?” Jonghyun’s stern voice spoke on the other end. “She went into those bastards’ place on her own free will?”

 

“I’m afraid so, boss.” The man confirmed.

 

“Understood.” Jonghyun said and hung up immediately. Back in his place, he smashed the phone violently against the wall.

 

Those pieces of , He smacked his fist against his desk. His face was contorted in pure rage. I’ll show them not to mess with my property. This time, they are dead for sure. Jeung Minji is an essential piece in my game, and I am definitely not handing her to anyone.

 

He kicked the broken pieces of his phone out of his way, picked up his jacket, and headed outside, slamming the door closed behind him.

 

 

“You don’t even knock now?” Joon threw his magazine away when he saw Minji entering confidently. “We have to set some boundaries. First of all, you don’t just walk in here whenever you want.”

 

“Hey.” Teamin nodded at her. “You okay?” He asked out of unexpected concern.

 

 

Minji nodded.

“If I said something stupid yesterday, you should have just told me.” L raised his head from the couch were he was resting.

 

“We thought you weren’t coming back.” Gikwang said. “After all that stuff your brother said.”

 

“My brother says a lot of crap. Don’t mind him.” Minji smiled weakly. “Sorry if he bothered you.”

 

“As a matter of fact, he did bother us. But if you give me a kiss I might forgive you.” Himchan said. A pillow, a shoe, and book flew at him at that moment.

 

“What was that for?!” Himchan rubbed his head.

 

“You can go kiss yourself.” Taemin groaned. “And give me my shoe back.”

 

“You ert.” L muttered.

 

“Where is Henry?” Minji noticed one person missing.

 

“Violin lessons.” Joon answered.

 

“He plays the violin? That’s unexpected.” Minji frowned. “I’d love to listen to him play.”

 

“Hah, good luck with that.” L mocked as he went back to sleep.

 

“He rarely plays for anyone but us.” Taemin informed. “But if it’s you, maybe he’ll make an exception. That wuss has a soft spot for annoying girls.”

 

“Yah, I’m hungry.” Joon complained. “Go buy some dinner, Gikwang.”

 

“I’m broke.” He replied.

 

“Fine, lets all just all starve to death.” Joon said.

 

“Um, I can buy you guys something. As an apology for by brother’s prank.” Minji offered.

 

“Really?!” Joon beamed. “Hurry then. I’m starving!”

 

“I want some pizza.” Himchan said. “Order it with extra cheese, bunny.”

 

“How about pasta?” L suggested.

 

“Okay, I guess I can get all of those.” Minji agreed. “I’m going then.”

 

“Wait.” Taemin stopped her. “I’ll go with you.”

 

“There is really no need.” Minji laughed, but on the inside she really wanted someone to go with her.

 

“Don’t be stupid. Lets go.” Taemin got on his feet and pulled Minji by the wrist.

 

“What is that boy thinking?” Joon asked no one in particular as soon as both of them left. Gikwang and Himchan just shrugged. L, on the other hand, observed the scene quietly with a clenched jaw.

 

“That idiot.” He grumbled, far too low for the others to hear.