Date?

Addictive

 

“What’s up with you?” Sunhi whispered to Minji during the first period. The girls’ desks were one in front of the other next to the windows. “Are you still not feeling well?”

 

“I’m feeling great, actually.” Minji hardened her grip on her mechanic pencil. “Just freaking perfect.”

 

“If you say so.” Sunhi turned around and continued to take notes. Then she noticed something interesting going outside the school building. “Minji, Minji!” She tapped frantically the desk behind her. “Look outside!”

 

Minji looked outside the window, not very interested, and observed the other class having P.E. classes. She couldn’t see what her friend thought was so important.

 

“What is it?”

 

“It’s Kim Jonghyun!” Minji shrieked silently. “He’s so hot.”

 

“Who?” Minji tried to adjust her eyes and find who was the guy in question. Kim Jonghyun, huh. I could swear I’ve heard that name before.

 

“Are you serious?” Sunhi gawked at her ignorant best friend. “Minji! How can you be so stupid? He is the heir to Kim Enterprises and also the top student of or year. Without mentioning he was voted as the best marriage prospect by most girls in school.”

 

“Marriage…” Minji echoed. This was getting more and more familiar. “I REMEMBER!” She shouted with realization. The whole class turned to stare at her, but as soon as she picked up her pencil and pretended to write everything went back to normal.

 

“Are you crazy? Jesus, you’re hopeless.” Sunhi shook her head and continued to admire Kim Jonghyun while he played soccer with his friends.

 

So he is the one, huh. She rested her head on her hand while trying to take a better look of the boy. He had toned arms and legs and his face was beautiful with a perfectly defined jaw line. His smile was just breath taking. Oh well, too bad I’m having a change operation soon.

 

-With the Deadly Six-

 

“That girl was totally angry.” Henry commented while they all hung out at the rooftop during third period. “I mean, I could see blood in her eyes. No joke.”

 

“Yeah. She even threw the money at Joon’s feet, wallet and all.” Himchan leaned on the railing and looked up to the sky. “A little bit more of strength and she would have opened a hole in the pavement.”

 

“Oh, here’s a student ID.” Taemin pulled a card from the wallet. Joon was so mad he didn’t even bother picking it up and just walked away, so Taemin took it instead. “Jeung Minji.” He read out loud. "Wow, this chick is loaded." 

 

Joon was sitting on the floor quietly. He had been weird ever since the little accident that morning.

 

“Yah, what’s up with you?” Gikwang poked Joon’s head with his index finger. “Sad you were called trash by a girl?” He taunted.

 

“Who wouldn’t be angry after being called a low-life?” L taunted. “I would, that’s for sure.”

 

“She also said disgusting.” Himchan joined the conversation.

 

“I’m pretty sure I also heard her say ‘that bastard son of a ’ as she walked away.” Taemin shrugged. “Just saying.”

 

“WHEN DID SHE SAY THAT?” Joon snapped. “Why can’t you leave me the alone, huh?!?

 

“Hey, chill would ya?” Gikwang rubbed Joon’s shoulders to calm him down.

 

“He’s probably in those days of the month.” L said while leaning on Himchan’s shoulder and closing his eyes.

 

“That little bastard-“ Joon got on his feet and cracked his knuckled, ready to beat the hell out of his friend.

 

“Woah!” L hid behind Himchan. “It was a joke man! Do you know what a ‘joke’ means?”

 

“Stop it guys. Don’t fight over something so stupid.” Henry said seriously. He got that way every time the boys fought among themselves. Then he walked over to Taemin and snatched the wallet form his hands. “I’ll go and return it to her, so stop being so goddamn moody kay?”

 

The boy of the chubby cheeks, reddish hair, and innocent face wasn’t looking so innocent any more. A Speck of anger in his voice made the other guys take a step back.

 

“I’ll go with.” Himchan raised his hand. “You never know when will be ambushed by some ty gang.”

 

“Please.” Temin rolled his eyes. “You’re only going because you’ll get to bang rich gals.”

 

“How can you say that?!” Himchan gasped, offended, even though he knew Taemin had caught him.  “Joon should come, too.”

 

“You guys are coming with me?” Henry said excitedly, going back to his usual self.

 

“Why the hell would I?” The leader scoffed. “If that wants the wallet back she can come and get it herself.”

 

“Stubborn .” Murmured Himchan.

 

“Just get the hell out of my face.” Joon said bitterly before rolling to his side and going back to his former silence.

 

“Aish. Just do whatever you want.” Taemin said while they all went back inside and left the sulking leader all by himself.

 

As soon as Joon heard the other members leaving, he sat up and scratched his head angrily.

 

“You disgust me.”

 

Those three words were tattooed in his brain, and it was driving him crazy.

 

I disgust you?! He thought. You’re the disgusting one, you little tramp. You must be thinking we’re some poor bastards with no future. You probably look down on us, just like the rest of this ing word. Hah, how easy must it be to get everything you want whenever the hell you want it.

 

He stopped thinking before he could remember something he tried everyday to forget about. He bit his lower lip and disconnected himself from the rest of the world.

 

 

-At Minji’s school-

 

“You forgot your wallet home?” Sunhi arched an eyebrow. “Is that en excuse to stand me up on today’s lunch?”

 

“Of course not!” Minji assured. “I-I really did.”

 

“Fine. But you do know you need your student ID to get lunch at the cafeteria, right?”

 

Minji was embarrassed about not thinking things through before dumping her wallet in the middle of the sidewalk. She was going to have to swallow her pride and go beg those idiots to give it back to her. You only got one ID per year, and she had just thrown away hers.

 

“Here.” Sunhi handed her a bag of chips. “You can go ahead and eat that. I have some club matters to attend to so I can’t go to lunch right now. I’ll see you later.”  Then she skipped away.

 

Minji eyed the bag carefully and smiled. She was happy she had Sunhi as her friend. She ripped the bag open and started nibbling on the chips while walking to the crowded cafeteria. She took a seat on an empty table and started to think of a way to get her wallet back without humiliating herself any further. In the midst of thinking, she felt someone take a seat in front of her. She looked up and was kind of stunned at the smiling boy in front of her.

 

“Um, yes?” She asked. Maybe he mistook her for someone else. He seemed very familiar, though. The boy rested his head on his hand and laughed.

 

“You have no idea who I am, do you?” He asked.

 

Minji stared at him for a moment and tried to recall where she had seen him before.

 

“You’re unbelievable.” He shook his head, amused. “You don’t even know the name of the guy you rejected this morning." Then it hit her.

 

“Kim Jonghyun?” She asked tentatively.

 

“You remembered. I’m flattered.” He flashed his perfect white teeth.

 

People on the tables around them were already gossiping.

 

“It’s Jeung Minji and Kim Jonghyun!” A girl hissed to her friend. “Since when do they hang out?”

 

“Are the dating?” Another girl asked. “Humph, she’s not THAT pretty.”

 

“The heirs of two of the most important companies in Korea. Their meeting was fated.” A guy in the next table said.

 

“I’m so jealous. They look good together.” Girls around them sighted at the loss of the number one bachelor.

 

However, Minji seemed oblivious to what was happening around her.

 

“So.” Jonghyun uncapped a bottle of juice he had brought along. “I’ve been really curious since this morning when I received a call from your lovely mother. Why was I rejected before we even met? A change surgery? Come one, you can do better than that.”

 

“Sorry about that, really.” Minji popped the last chip in , slightly embarrassed about her lame excuse. “I’m doing you a favor. Once my mother gets a hold of you, you will wish you’ve never met me.”

 

“I’ll be the judge of that.” Jonghyun said relaxed. He seemed like an extremely carefree individual for someone who has the weight of Kim Enterprise on his shoulders. “Give me a chance. I know a great place we could go to after school.”

 

“Why?” Minji blurted. The bluntness of the girl took Jonghyun by surprise. He looked at her and titled his head, confusion.

 

“Because I want to get to know you, of course.” He answered without a trace of bashfulness.

 

“You want to get to know me or my family’s bank account?” Minji crossed her arms. She didn’t mean to be rude, but she’s been through this before. She knew exactly why boys liked her and it didn’t have anything to do with her looks or personality.

 

“Ouch.” Jonghyun acted like he had been punched in the stomach. “Those are harsh words, Minji.”

 

“What can I say? I know how these things go. I’m not that stupid.”

 

“Okay, you got me. My mother talked me into this after hearing from some friends that the daughter of CEO Jeung went to my school.” He admitted.

 

“Surprise, surprise.” Minji clapped her hands together. “I didn’t see that one coming. But you’re honest, I’ll give you that.”

 

“C’mon.” Jonghyun insisted. “One date. Give me a chance t redeem myself.”

 

“You’re very sweet.” Minji smiled. “But I won’t go out with you. Sorry.” Then she stood up, threw the empty chip bag in the trash bin, and left Jonghyun all by himself in the cafeteria.

 

“That went well.” Jonghyun chuckled as he watched Minji walk away from him.