Chapter 9: She Returns

Being In Love

The second semester finally started and Moonbyul was excited that summer is just one semester away but was a little down knowing that this will be the last semester she would get to be Yongsun in school. The senior sat beside her talking to Wheein and Hyejin about their classes and Moonbyul was so deep in thought and the three were so focused on their conversation that they didn’t know the person who was walking towards their table.

 

That was until the person wrapped their arms around Moonbyul. Moonbyul was shocked by the gesture. At first, she thought it was one of her three friends, but when she looked up, she saw that the three were staring right at her with confused expressions. She only figured who the person behind her was once they spoke and she immediately froze in fear.

 

“MOONIE! Oh my god, it has been soooo long since we last saw each other. How are you?”

 

She remembered Amber’s warning at the birthday party and mentally cursed at herself for forgetting about it. Hearing that voice reopened wounds that she thought she fixed, so she tried her best to keep a strong image as she mentally breaking down. Moonbyul then slowly turned to look at the person who has caused her nothing, but pain.

 

“H-hey Minji,” Moonbyul said shakily. “I-it has been a long t-time. I-I’ve been… good. You?” Moonbyul wanted to run, flee, do anything, but stay here.

 

“I’m doing soooo much better seeing you.” Minji booped Moonbyul’s nose.

 

Yongsun didn’t know who this girl was and by seeing Hyejin and Wheein’s reactions, they didn’t know either. The girl was making Moonbyul very uncomfortable as the junior cowered deeper into her chair when the girl spoke or touched. Yongsun may not know who this girl is, but she already didn’t like her one bit.

 

“Ummm… excuse me.” Yongsun said getting the girl’s attention. “I think you’re making Byul uncomfortable.”

 

Seems like Yongsun’s words offended the girl, cause she quickly left Moonbyul’s side and walked to her.

 

“And you are?”

 

Yongsun was surprised by Minji’s attitude. “I… uh… My name is Yongsun Kim.”

 

“You must be new then, so let me help you understand. My name is Minji. Moonbyul and I used to be a thing, so whatever you know about her, I already know and a lot more.” Minji smirked.

 

Yongsun was shocked by what she heard. This girl, Minji, and Moonbyul were a… thing? Well, used to and that is understandable by the girl’s attitude. She wonders what Moonbyul saw in her in the first place. The bell ranged and Moonbyul quickly got up, grabbed Yongsun by her hand and rushed towards their first-class period, (which was still the same) but not without apologizing to Wheein and Hyejin. Once the two entered the field house and sat down on the bleachers, Yongsun spoke.

 

“How come you never told me about her?”

 

“I- umm…” Moonbyul looked down and started twiddling her thumbs.

 

Yongsun understood that Moonbyul and uncomfortable, so she decided to get rid of the subject for now. She placed her hand on Moonbyul’s shoulder, who relaxed from the touch.

 

“Look we don’t have to talk about it now since you seem uncomfortable. We can always talk about it later when you feel ready okay?” Yongsun smiled even though she knew the junior wouldn’t be able to see as she was still looking down.

 

Moonbyul just nodded and sighed heavily. Feeling relieved that Yongsun understood and didn’t push further. Seulgi, Wendy, Irene, and Jin came over and saw the two. They all waved and sat around and when Moonbyul told them about what happened before class, they all tried to cheer her up.

 

“Hey, at least she’s not in our gym class right?” Jin said.

 

Wendy hit Jin’s side. “Shut it Jin or else you’re gonna jinx it.”

 

Just then the door slammed open, catching everyone’s attention. Jin got hit on his side again as the person slamming the door was none other than Minji.

 

“Look what you did! You jinxed it!” Seulgi yelled.

 

“I didn’t mean to.”

 

Moonbyul groaned and placed her hands onto her face. Her favorite class was gonna become a nightmare.

 

“Oh, hey, guys.” Minji walked towards the group. “I can’t believe you ditched me Moonie. I’m very hurt.”

 

Minji shoved Yongsun to the side and took her spot next to Moonbyul. The group looked in disbelief at what she just did. Minji noticed the stares and looked at Yongsun.

 

“If you didn’t want to be shoved, maybe you shouldn’t have been sitting next to my Moonie.”

 

Yongsun was fuming and everyone who knew her could see it. This girl was so rude. She possibly couldn’t see any way how Moonbyul could have been in a relationship with Minji. Maybe the girl blackmailed Moonbyul or something. She needed to know, but she wants Moonbyul to be comfortable when she does, but that won’t happen as Minji is blatantly getting in front of her Moonbyul’s face. She was about to give Minji a piece of her mind when the teacher came in and started calling for attendance. She told herself that she’ll give this girl a piece of her mind later.

 

During the teacher’s conversation, Yongsun moved to Moonbyul’s other side and calmed the junior down by placing her hand on top of her own. She looked at Minji to see her expression and she looked unhappy but did nothing about it. Yongsun smirked at her small victory. Once the teacher finished assigning seats and let the students do whatever until the bell rang, Seulgi and Jin quickly took Moonbyul to play basketball with them. Irene and Wendy followed suit. Yongsun was about to follow too, but Minji sat her back down forcefully.

 

“What do you think you’re doing, Kim?”

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

 

“Don’t play dumb.” Minji harshly said. “You don’t have what Moonbyul and I have, so stop it.”

 

Yongsun quickly swiped her hand away. “Good, cause whatever you two have isn’t healthy.” She then turned around and started walking away, but not without Minji shouting one last thing at her.

 

“Watch your back, Kim!”

 


 

“Finally! Food!” Hyejin exclaimed as she took a bite of her cheeseburger.

 

The four still had lunch together, but it was moved to the sixth period which Hyejin loved. The group grew bigger as they now sat with Sandeul, Jin, Jhope, Irene, Seulgi, Joy, Wendy, and Yeri.

 

“I heard Minji came back,” Yeri said.

 

“Luckily she doesn’t have the same lunch,” Jhope said.

 

“That’s what Jin said during gym and the devil showed up minutes later,” Irene exclaimed.

 

“Hey, I said it wasn’t my fault.”

 

“No Jin, it’s totally your fault, but this time I know she doesn’t, because Namjoon told me he saw her get lunch two periods ago.”

 

“I hope you’re right,” Moonbyul said as she played with her food.

 

The group went back to eating and small talk. Moonbyul later gave the rest of her lunch to Hyejin as the sophomore begged for more food.

 

“So, you three hadn’t met Minji before right?” Seulgi exclaimed.

 

Yongsun, Wheein, and Hyejin nodded in agreement.

 

“How do you guys feel about her?”

 

“I hate her guts.” Yongsun quickly said and everyone in the table laughed. “What?”

 

“Sandeul calmed his laughter. “Nothing it’s just, you answered so fast.”

 

“Of course I would. I might have just seen the girl for a few hours, but the girl did nothing but made Moonbyul uncomfortable and she shoved me! I mean who does that to someone when there’s an open seat for her to take?”

 

Moonbyul chuckled. “That’s Minji for yeah.”

 

“I don’t see what you saw in that girl.” Yongsun huffed and crossed her arms.

 

“I don’t really know either, but I could tell you about our past together.”

 

Those words caught everyone’s attention and they all stared at Moonbyul. Yongsun gently placed a hand on Moonbyul’s arm.

 

“Are you sure? You don’t have to force it.”

 

Moonbyul took Yongsun’s hand on her arm and placed it on the senior’s lap. “I know and I promise you when I say I feel comfortable enough to talk about.”

 

“… okay.”

 

Moonbyul sighed. “Well, it started when I was a freshman- “

 

“Sorry to cut your flashback short, but Minji is coming.” Yeri interrupted.

 

“JHOPE YOU LIAR!!!” Wheein yelled.

 

“Don’t blame me, blame Namjoon.”

 

Moonbyul tried to calm down the group, but she herself wasn’t calm. She didn’t understand why Minji was here if she had lunch two class periods ago. Minji finally reached the group and wrapped her arm around Moonbyul’s shoulder. The junior tensed up from the action.

 

“Hey guys, missed me?”

 

“No.” Joy quietly said, but Minji must have heard it as she glared at her. “I… uh, mean, yeah for sure.”

 

“Minji I thought you already had lunch?” Moonbyul questioned as she slowly tried to nudge Minji off her.

 

“Oh I did, but I asked the teacher that I needed to go to the bathroom.”

 

“All the way here?”

 

Minji ignored Moonbyul’s question.

 

“Anyway, Moonbyul want to come with me?”

 

“No.”

 

“Too bad.”

 

Minji grabbed Moonbyul’s arm and pulled her along towards the bathroom. Moonbyul turned around and mouthed, “help me” as she was being dragged. Yongsun’s blood was boiling at the entire scene that took place and she quickly stood up to follow the two.

 

“I don’t know who to fear more. Minji or an angry Yongsun.” Hyejin said.

 

Wheein answered Hyejin’s question.

 

“Of course you know and it isn’t Minji.”

 


 

Once the two entered the bathroom, Moonbyul was immediately shoved against the wall.

 

“Ow! What the he- “

 

Minji slammed her hand on the wall next to Moonbyul’s head, making her silent. Minji smirked.

 

“You know, I really missed you,” Minji stated. “Couldn’t stop thinking about you when I was away.” She slid her hand on Moonbyul’s shoulder. “I missed us.”

 

Moonbyul shoved Minji’s hand away.

 

“I didn’t.” Moonbyul started to walk away.

 

Minji pretended to sound hurt. “Ouch, I’m hurt Moonie. Did you know how hard it was to come back here?”

 

“Don’t call me Moonie and I never asked you to come back. And if I’m being honest, you leaving was the best thing that ever happened to me.” Moonbyul then opened the door and left, leaving a shocked Minji behind.

 

Yongsun was in front of the bathroom door. She was about to open it when it opened by itself. Yongsun looked to see that Moonbyul was at the door and sighed in relief. Moonbyul was happy that Yongsun tried to save her. The two started to walk back to their table and as they did Moonbyul sighed and spoke.

 

“Hey Yong?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Can I come over to your house? I… think I’m comfortable enough to tell you now.”

 

Yongsun softly smiled.

 

“Okay.”