Chapter 1: We Can Only Hope

Being In Love

It was the start of the new school year, and Moonbyul, a junior in this new school year, sat with her two close friends, Hyejin and Wheein, who were both sophomores now. Moonbyul met the two last year when she was a sophomore and they were freshmen. She remembered the whole thing like it was yesterday; it was in the middle of the school year and their science teacher had just told the class to pair up in three for the upcoming project. Moonbyul looked at her friends, which comprised four people, her, Seulgi, Minhyuk, and Sandeul, and thought one person would be the odd man out. The question was, who?

 

"Sandeul never does his work. He should find another group to slack off in." Minhyuk quickly suggested.

 

Sandeul gasped at how fast Minhyuk would remove him. "Hey, I can't believe you would throw me out that fast."

 

"Guys, it's all right, I'll go find another group," Moonbyul assured as she got up to leave.

 

"No, Moonbyul, please come back. You were the only one paying attention to what the teacher was saying." Minhyuk pleaded.

 

Seulgi became offended. "I was paying attention too. I even took notes."

 

"Oh, then bye Moonbyul," Minhyuk said as he waved goodbye. "Have fun finding a new group."

 

The silver-haired girl rolled her eyes at how fast Minhyuk could change his mind. She then looked around to find a new group but found that almost everyone was a pair of three. Almost everyone, as she was able to find a pair of two on their own in a corner. She then remembered how those two were always seen together and never really talked with anyone else, but this time would be different as she was going to insert herself in their group and hopefully, their life. She walked up towards the two, who seemed surprised by her presence. They were probably going to try to convince the teacher to work as two, but not today. “Hey, is it okay if I work with you two on this project?”

 

The two freshmen at the time looked at each other than at the sophomore. “S-Sure.” A girl with short brunette hair stuttered. Moonbyul smiled as she sat down next to them and introduced herself. The two introduced themselves as well and Moonbyul later found out that the brunette's name was Wheein, while her friend with the long black hair is Hyejin.

 

“Would if you guys had to do a project of three with just the two of you.” The sophomore stated, and at that moment Wheein and Hyejin understood why everyone loved the sophomore. She was too kind and very charming.

 

During the project, the three got along and the two allowed the sophomore into their lives, which only comprised just the two of them. Because when you grow up together, why add anyone else? Moonbyul found Wheein hilarious while Hyejin was chill, with both being very cute, in a must protect way. However, she later learned they were very devious as she found out when she woke up one morning with her face drawn when she slept over at Wheein's place with the two. That was when she learned to not be the first one asleep at a sleepover or just sleep around those two when they have markers.

 

Ever since that fateful day, the three have gotten along, with Byul introducing the two to her friends. They were shy at the first encounter and still are, but became comfortable around them and slowly showed their real selves. Though the two were comfortable around her friends, they still liked to be around just the two of them, and Byul accepted it and went to hang out with the two whenever, with today being one of them. The three were talking about their classes this year and were happy to know that they at least have two classes together.

 

“Yes!” Wheein exclaimed happily. “We all have lunch together at fourth hour.”

 

“I wish I had it fifth or sixth though,” Hyejin said a little bummed knowing she will starve for her remaining five classes.

 

“Hyejin, are you saying that you would ditch me if you could have lunch on a later period?” Wheein said with a hurt expression.

 

“You know I wouldn't, but if I'm being honest to myself, maybe,” Hyejin answered, which earned her a slap on her shoulder from her best friend.

 

Moonbyul smirked as she watched them playfully bicker over Hyejin’s food obsession. She wondered if she could ever find what the two had, as they were always close to one another. Sure, she had many friends like Minhyuk, Sandeul, Bomi, Seulgi, and Wendy, but none felt like what Wheein and Hyejin had. She hoped maybe this year she could find her special someone, but not like special, special. Though that would be nice too.

 

Maybe one day, as one could only hope.