Chapter 11: Comfort

Being In Love

As Yongsun listened to Moonbyul’s story, she felt so much emotion. Anger, sadness, pity, relief, and a bit of jealousy, but she didn’t know why she felt that. Well, she actually did but didn’t want to think that just yet. Once Moonbyul was finished, Yongsun hugged Moonbyul to which the junior returned.

 

“What Minji did was terrible and no one, especially you, deserved that. I’m glad you told me.”

 

“Thanks for listening Yong.”

 

“Anything for you. I promise I won’t be like Minji.”

 

Moonbyul’s eyes widened by Yongsun’s words. “What?”

 

It took a while for Yongsun to realize what she said, but when she did, she started to fumble her words. Finding an excuse. “A-as friends. I-I mean I won’t be like Minji a-as a f-friend… yeah.”

 

“Ah.” Was all Moonbyul could say. She was a little disappointed by those words, but she understood why she said them.

 

The two stayed silent as Yongsun comforted Moonbyul. As they did, Yongsun became more curious about two things. Why is she back and after what Minji did to Moonbyul, why try to go back to her?

 

“I’m a little confused about why Minji is back and trying to get back with you?”

 

“Moonbyul chuckled. “Beats me. Your answer is as good as mine.”

 

Yongsun stayed silent. She really needs to get to the bottom of this before Minji hurts Moonbyul again. That’s a promise she’ll make to herself.

 


 

The next day, Moonbyul, Yongsun, Wheein, and Hyejin were at their usual hangout table. Wheein and Hyejin were helping each other with homework for their next class. Yongsun and Moonbyul were acting like their usual selves.

 

“I’m telling you, water is wet!” Moonbyul exclaimed as she laughed.

 

“By who? You’re an idiot for thinking that!” Yongsun yelled, obviously not amused.

 

Moonbyul laughed even more. She always loved messing with Yongsun because her reactions are the funniest. She was glad Yongsun hadn’t killed her just yet.

Everything seemed normal around the table, but that was quickly ruined when an intruder was seen walking towards them. Wheein noticed the intruder and informed the three about them. Moonbyul quickly stopped laughing, Yongsun, Wheein, and Hyejin all glared at the intruder. The intruder placed her hand on Moonbyul’s shoulder and spoke.

 

“Hey, Moonie, Moonie’s friends, and… “ Minji glared at Yongsun. “Yong.”

 

Yongsun stopped glaring but kept her eyes at Minji. “Yongsun is just fine.”

 

“Oh, but I thought we were close enough friends for me to call you Yong.”

 

“It’s funny how you think we were even friends.”

 

Wheein laughed loudly at Yongsun’s words but quickly shut her lips when Minji glared at her. Minji heaved out a sigh, dropped her hand off Moonbyul, and put on a fake smile as she looked back at Yongsun making the girl feel a little uneasy.

 

“Well, I hope to be good friends with you then. After all, we both want the same thing from someone.”

 

Yongsun looked at Moonbyul whose eyes were looking down, and Yongsun could sense that the junior was uncomfortable. She stood up, grabbed Moonbyul’s things, signaled the sophomores and Moonbyul to get up as well, and spoke.

 

“Your wants are far different from my own. Unlike you, I am willing to wait, and respect other people’s wants.” And with that, the four walked away. Leaving Minji behind, who thankfully didn’t follow them, but it didn’t really matter since Moonbyul and Yongsun share the same first-class period with her.

 

Yongsun felt a soft nudge on her arm and looked at her side.

 

“Thanks for getting us out of there,” Moonbyul said.

 

Yongsun smiled softly. “I could tell you were uncomfortable, so I HAD to get you out of there.”

 

“Yeah, Yongsun thanks, I thought I was gonna get arrested for murder,” Hyejin said and everyone laughed. “ I honestly don’t see what you saw in that girl.”

 

Moonbyul chuckled lightly. “I promise she was a lot different before.”

 

“Sure… “ Yongsun rolled her eyes.

 

“I swear she was.”

 

“Okay, okay, we believe you Moonie.” Wheein teased.

 

“Please don’t call me that,” Moonbyul whined, causing the four to laugh.

 

 

Out of the many things she didn’t expect, walking Minji to the nurse’s office was definitely one of them. She was surprised that Minji didn’t come to start something when class started and even sat away from Moonbyul. She then started to suspect something when the teacher called her over to take Minji to the nurse’s office. Like why choose her when she could get Moonbyul to get closer to. Not that she wanted Moonbyul to take her place, but it just seemed off. Her questions reappeared again and she found this the perfect opportunity to get them answered.

 

“Hey, Minji?”

 

“What?”

 

“Why did you move back here?”

 

“Oh, well, my dad got relocated back here for work.”

 

Well, that answered one of them and it was faster than she expected. Thought she had to fight for her answer.

 

"Why are you trying to be friends with Moonbyul?”

 

Science. She wondered if the girl heard; she tried to repeat herself but was quickly cut off.

 

“I heard you the first time and can’t I just mend a friendship?”

 

“I mean you can, but you can’t just act like you didn’t just break her heart.”

 

Minji got out of Yongsun’s grasp, confusing the senior. The senior looked at her and she saw a pain expression on the girl.

 

“So, she told you, huh? I should’ve expected that.”

 

“Yes, she did and now I want to know what you want from her.”

 

“I told you, I want to be friends again.”

 

Yongsun didn’t believe that one bit. “Seems more than that. Are you sure you’re not trying to use her again?”  Minji’s expression changed. “Cause I swear if you are I’ll- “

 

“I LIKE HER OKAY!” After saying those words, Minji instantly covered .

 

“What?” Yongsun was genuinely confused now. Why would she say this?

 

“I- umm… I- " Minji stuttered as she tried to find a reason, but was luckily cut off by someone.”

 

“There you are, Yong,” Moonbyul said as she rushed to the two carrying her own and Yongsun’s things. Moonbyul stopped jogging and took a few steps back when she saw Minji. “Wait, I thought you were supposed to be at the nurse’s office.”

 

“I- “

 

“I think you two need to talk.” Yongsun walked to Moonbyul, grabbing her things. She then softly spoke to the junior in front of her. “Thanks for grabbing my stuff. I know you’re scared to talk with her, so after I change I’ll be nearby if you need help, just call, okay?”

 

Moonbyul slowly nodded her head and Yongsun’s heart broke a little to see Moonbyul like this, but she felt it was necessary if she wants to move on and truly be happy. If she learned one thing about the girl in front of her, it’s that you need to give her a good push in the right direction or else she’ll never move.

Yongsun quickly hugged Moonbyul and left, leaving the two ex-lovers to themselves. The two stood at the same spot, feeling awkward around each other and it felt like an eternity passed until Minji spoke.

 

“I’m… I’m sorry.”

 

Moonbyul quickly looked at Minji when she said that.

 

“I’m sorry for what I did. I’m sorry for being dumb and choosing some guy over the one person who cared for me. I’m sorry I ended a friendship because that same guy told me to.” Minji sighed shakily, holding back tears, then spoke softly. “I’m sorry for using and for being an don’t have to forgive me, but I wanted to apologize.”

 

Moonbyul just stood there as she heard Minji apologize. Her words, they opened up old scars and wounds she thought she patched up. They made her feel the same pain she thought she got over so long ago.

 

“I- “ Moonbyul was choking back tears. “I don’t understand. Why did you do all those things? Was I not good enough?”

 

“No, no, you were. I just didn’t see that until it was too late. I was dumb and ignorant, but that doesn’t excuse the pain a caused you.”

 

“Why tell me this now?” Moonbyul let her tears fall. “Why tell me this after you play with my feelings again?”

 

“I wanted to, but my jealousy got the best of me.” Minji chuckled embarrassingly. “Thank god Yongsun reminded me what I wanted to do from the beginning this morning.”

 

Moonbyul looked confused. “Jealous?”

 

“Yeah. I was jealous of Yongsun and how she made you happy. The way I should’ve been, and it made me jealous enough to do some dumb things that did nothing but push you away even further. I’m trying to be a better person, but my old ways always seem to show and backfire on me.”

 

“I… “ Moonbyul hesitated, then sighed as she wiped some tears from her face. “Thanks for the apology, but… I think I deserve some space.”

 

Minji understood what Moonbyul wanted. She couldn’t blame her after what she did in the past. She couldn’t ask for the girl’s forgiveness, she couldn’t ask to start over, but she could give her space, she could try to be her friend, if she allowed it, but for now, space is needed and she’ll give it to her as long as she needs.

 

“I understand.” Minji turned around and spoke one more time before she left. “I’m sorry.”

 

Moonbyul waited for Minji’s footsteps to disappear before she sat down and cried. Old scars and wounds opened up, causing nothing but pain. All her life she wanted to scream, yell, curse at her, cause her the same pain she did to her long ago, but to hear her apologize, a part of her wanted to forgive her. A part of her wanted to go back to her and start over, but that wouldn’t be fair to the person who had never hurt her and showered her with nothing but love. She was angry at herself for wanting to go back.

 

Moonbyul was too lost in her thoughts, she didn’t notice the footsteps coming towards her. She only noticed someone was near her when the person leaned against her side and side-hug her. She jumped a little by the surprise and though she couldn’t see them; she knew who it was. She was thankful the girl didn’t say a word but listen to her cry and it comforted her as it was something she needed at the moment.

 

They moved to sit against the wall when the bell rang. She knew the stares directed at her, but it didn’t matter. The warmth from the girl on her side gave as she comforted her was all she needed now. She was happy to have her in her life.