Chapter 8: Promise

Being In Love

It was Christmas day, Moonbyul’s favorite holiday, so it wasn’t a surprise when she woke up as early as 5 o’clock, yelled at her family to wake up, and immediately ran downstairs jumping up and down like her three dogs as she waited for her family to get down. Once the family was gathered in the living room, they opened presents and had a few laughs.

As she carried her presents into her room, she noticed the present for Yongsun on her desk and mentally slapped herself for forgetting. She quickly placed her presents down on her bed and grabbed her phone to call the senior. The phone ranged until it was answered

 

“Hello?”

 

“Hey, Yongsun. Am I disturbing anything.”

 

"No, not really. Why?”

 

“Just wanted to know if I can come to your house to give you’re your gift.”

 

“Why not give it to me tomorrow?”

 

“Yongsun, Christmas gifts are meant to be open on CHRISTMAS.”

 

A sighed could be heard on Yongsun’s end. “Fine, just don’t be embarrassing when you see my parents.”

 

“Can’t keep any promises. Bye.”

 

“Moon-“

 

Moonbyul hung up before Yongsun could yell at her. She can’t wait to see Yongsun. But then she realized that she would be meeting Yongsun’s parents, and that made her nervous.

 

"I’m meeting Yongsun’s parents. Shhhiiiiii…"

 

 

Moonbyul was standing in front of Yongsun’s door for five minutes, but she still couldn’t bring herself to knock on the door. Moonbyul sighed. "Calm down, Moonbyul. You got this. You shouldn’t be worried too much, it’s not like your dating Yongsun." She thought to herself in order to calm her quickly beating heart. Moonbyul gave herself a pep talk until her heart quieted down enough and went to knock on the door. After an excruciating minute or two, Yongsun opened the door. The senior smiled brightly when she noticed it was Moonbyul.

 

“Hey. Come on in.” Yongsun scooted to the side to let Moonbyul in. As she entered, she quickly around and saw Yongsun’s parents in the kitchen table eating.

 

"Oh, no! You screwed up already! You never interrupt a family moment like this."

 

“Wait right here. I have to get your gift too.” Yongsun then whispered. “Thanks for coming over, it was getting awkward.” Then she quickly left, leaving Moonbyul alone with her parents.

 

Moonbyul was smiling internally until Yongsun’s mother, Mrs. Kim, spoke.

 

“So you’re Moonbyul?”

 

“Y-yes m-ma’am.”

 

Mrs. Kim chuckled at Moonbyul’s nervousness. “Our Yongsun talks a lot about you.”

 

Moonbyul was surprised at that.

 

Yongsun talked about me… to her parents???

 

“Sh-she h-has? H-hopefully th-they w-were g-g-good.”

 

Mr. and Mrs. Kim both laughed.

 

“All good. Don’t worry.” Mr. Kim reassured.

 

Moonbyul let out a breath she didn’t know she was holding onto. Yongsun came back with her gift for Moonbyul.

 

“I’m back, here’s your gift, Byul.”

 

“And here’s yours.”

 

The two exchanged gifts and opened them at the exact same time. Their jaws both dropped when they saw the gifts.

 

Moonbyul took out the Polaroid camera and Yongsun took out a silver necklace with a sun and a framed photo of her, Moonbyul, Hyejin, and Wheein. The two then stared at each. Moonbyul spoke first.

 

“How did you know I wanted a camera?”

 

Well, you said you always wanted to start taking pictures as a hobby, so I thought why not start you off with a camera that gives you physical copies?

 

Moonbyul smiled softly at Yongsun’s words. “Thank you. I love it.”

 

“I’m glad you like it. I… umm… happy that you got me a necklace and the picture frame of all of us.”

 

Well, you gave me a moon necklace, so I thought I’d give you a sun necklace. And I remember you telling me during a phone call one day that you went to a new school because you felt alone at your old one, so I thought getting you a picture of us four would remind you that your not alone anymore.”

 

Yongsun looked down, trying to hide her blush as she shyly smiled at Moonbyul’s thoughtfulness.

 

“Thank you,” was all Yongsun could say. She was so mesmerized by the photo taken by Moonbyul that she forgot her parents were watching the two. She jumped a little when her father cleared his throat.

 

“Sorry to cut this moment short, but Yongsun’s food is getting cold.”

 

“Oh yeah, sorry, I understand completely, I’ll leave you guys alone now. Thank you for allowing me to come visit.”

 

“No problem, just make sure to plan to visit at a much earlier date so this doesn’t happen.”

 

“Yes, sir. Bye, Mr. and Mrs. Kim. Bye, Yong.”

 

And with that, Moonbyul left, leaving the Kim family alone.

 

“That girl is sureunique.” Mrs. Kim said.

 

“Yeah, she sure is.” Yongsun walked back to the table to rejoin her parents for dinner, and everything went quiet again.

 

 

Yongsun was sitting in her living room watching the New York live countdown footage when her phone rang. She didn’t need to look at the caller ID to know who it was and answered the call.

 

“Hello?”

 

Hey Yong. What have you been up to?”

 

Yongsun smiled. Hearing Moonbyul’s voice always made her day a lot better. “Nothing much. Just watching the New York countdown by myself.”

 

“What? Where're your parents?”

 

“They’re at a party.”

 

The line was silent for a while, and Yongsun checked to make sure the line didn’t cut. It wasn’t

 

“Moon-“

 

“Just hold on a little longer, we’re coming over.”

 

"Wait, wha-" The line ended before she could question Moonbyul.

 

Yongsun put her phone down and went back to watching the live footage. Twenty minutes later, her door knocked, and she went up to open it. She was immediately attacked by a hugging Wheein.

 

“Yongsun we didn’t forget about you, I promise!”

 

Yongsun smiled and patted Wheein’s head. “I know.”

 

“Yeah Wheein, she knows cause someone couldn’t hold our little secret for just twenty more minutes.” Hyejin glared at Moonbyul.

 

“I couldn’t take it, she sounded so sad when I was talking to her.”

 

Yongsun laughed and gathered the other two for a group hug.

 

“Thanks, guys.”

 

The four then had a mini party as they waited for the countdown to start. They had serious talks, jokes never had I ever, and games. Yongsun always celebrated New Year by herself and it made her happy knowing she was celebrating this New Year with her close friends… with Moonbyul.

 

“5… 4… 3… 2… 1… HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!” The four cheered, clanking their glasses filled with non-alcoholic sparkling wine.

 

Wheein and Hyejin were arguing over which sparkling champagne was the best. Moonbyul was watching the two bicker and laughing at some comments. Yongsun was looking at the Moonbyul’s hand, which was close to hers but separated by a small space. She was wondering if it was okay to hold her hand or if it was too much. She didn’t want to ruin what she and Moonbyul had, but didn’t want to hide her affection for the junior.

She was deep in thought that she didn’t realize that Moonbyul was looking at her. The junior saw what her friend was looking at and placed her hand on top of Yongsun’s. Yongsun still didn’t realize, so she squeezed a little, which caught the senior’s attention this time. Yongsun blushed and quickly looked at Moonbyul, who smiled softly. Yongsun smiled back.

 

“Promise to do this again next year?” Yongsun asked, knowing the answer the junior would say.

 

“Promise.”

 

Though Yongsun expected the answer, she smiled brightly and went back to give the two sophomores her attention as the two were still bickering.

 

“Guys stop your bickering and let’s take a picture of this day.” Moonbyul got up and went to her backpack. She quickly came back with the Polaroid she was gifted. She turned the camera around to take a selfie. “Okay, guys grab your glasses and say Happy New Year.”

 

The three did as they were told and said Happy New Year when Moonbyul took the photo. Once the photo got its color, the girls cheered and signed the photo. Yongsun smiled.

 

This wasn’t so bad.

 

 

 

Sorry, I didn’t post on Friday. Thanksgiving and Black Friday made it difficult to work on the fic, but I am back don’t worry. I hope you guys had a good Thanksgiving or a good day at least. I’ll see you guys on Wednesday.