with greater love, comes greater suffering

with greater love, comes greater suffering

 

Chapter 9

 

Memories of Yuri

 

In the beginning, god took away Yuri’s parents, leaving her alone as an orphanage and Seohyun is probably the only thing left on earth which made Yuri think that god isn’t really that bad after all.

 

It was until that faithful day Yuri found out she had never mistaken about god.

 

That night, Seohyun and Yuri were walking quietly along the streets. It’s approximately 11:30pm, so the streets were nearly empty.

 

‘Hey Yuri’ Seohyun broke the silence ‘Since it’s your birthday, here’s your gift.’ She said as she handed a little red box to Yuri.

 

‘Thanks, can I open it now?’

 

‘Well… okay.’ Seohyun blushed

 

Yuri unwrapped the box and opened it. She found a ring inside.

 

‘Awwwww… That’s sweet, Seohyun.’ Yuri smiled and hugged Seohyun ‘I love it!’

 

‘Well… it’s actually a couple ring… that signifies our friendship.’ Seohyun held her hand up. Yuri looked at her hand and saw a similar ring on her ring finger.  Seohyun blushed again.

 

Yuri noticed Seohyun’s blush and wondered why. But she was desperate to get home and rest, so she waited for the time to come. Yuri continued walking along the streets but found that Seohyun was not beside her; she turned around and let out a gasp when she saw a man standing behind Seohyun.

 

From the horrified expression shown on Seohyun’s face, Yuri knew at that second, that Seohyun was in danger.

 

‘Hand me your wallet!’ the man demanded Yuri

 

‘No! Yuri, don’t come any closer!’ Seohyun shouted

 

‘Shut up! You, give me your wallet before I pull the trigger.’

 

Yuri had no choice but to open her bag and hand the robber her wallet. She didn’t want to loose Seohyun.

 

Seohyun watched Yuri slowly walked towards the man.

 

‘I’ve gotta do something to protect Yuri.’

 

Just then, Seohyun used her elbow to hit against the man’s waist. The man let out a sudden roar and pulled the gun away from Seohyun. Seohyun quickly ran towards Yuri and grabbed her hand.

 

‘Let’s go!’

 

They ran as fast as they could, trying to escape from danger. Seohyun turned her head back to the man, who was crouching on the floor. He led out an angry stare and pointed his gun straight to Yuri’s direction.

 

‘Oh no!’ Seohyun gasped and pushed Yuri aside

 

‘BANG!’

 

The loud thunder of the gun echoed along the empty streets and a girl was hit. The man, who was holding the gun, dropped his lower jaw wide open. He immediately let go of the gun and started to panic his way off the streets.

 

Yuri turned around and saw Seohyun’s head facing the ground, her hand touching her stomach.

 

‘Seohyun? You alright?’

 

Yuri looked at Seohyun and saw little droplets of blood dripping from her body.

 

‘Oh no!’

 

Seohyun tumbled to the ground. Her face began to turn pale as more blood began to cascade from her body.

 

‘Seohyun!’ Yuri kneeled down and holds onto Seohyun’s body. Little droplets of tears began to form in her eyes and soon started to pour along her face.

 

‘Hang on, Seohyun, I’ll take you to the hospital. Just HANG ON!!’

 

Yuri lifted Seohyun’s body and started to look for any transportation available. Of course, the chances of getting into any transport in the middle of the night were barely possible.

 

Seohyun’s breathe slowed down due to the loss of blood.

 

‘It’s no use.’ Seohyun said in a fragile voice ‘I’m shot on the liver, I can only hold on to five minutes to the maximum.’

 

Yuri heard Seohyun’s comments. More tears began pouring out of her face. She couldn’t afford to lose Seohyun, she just couldn’t.

 

‘Yuri… listen to me.’ Seohyun said again with the fragile voice ‘lean closer to me.’

 

Yuri leaned her head towards Seohyun’s, once they were close enough, Seohyun began her speech.

 

‘Yuri… being with you was probably the happiest moment I’ve had.’ Seohyun took a breath, she began to feel weaker and weaker ‘I’m sorry that I can’t be with you in the future, I’m so sorry.’

 

Seohyun coughed, she didn’t have much time left.

 

‘I…. I just… want to say… that… I…’ Seohyun took another deep breath and coughed ‘I… love… I love… yo…’

 

Just then, Seohyun stopped breathing. Her pulse stopped, the hand that was supposed to be covering her stomach slowly descended from the position and started swinging across the air.

 

‘NO!! Seohyun!!! Hang on, damn, where’s the hospital?’

 

-----------

 

Yuri paused at that point; tears began to form in her eyes as she bit her lower lip

 

‘Well?’ Yoona asked ‘What happened then?’

 

‘I took her to the hospital.’

 

‘And she survived right?’

 

‘No…’ Yuri took a deep breath ‘she died on that very night.’

 

There was an awkward silence between the two girls.

 

‘I’m sorry.’ Yoona finally broke the silence

 

‘It’s alright.’ Yuri stood and grabbed her bag

 

‘I gotta leave now, take care of yourself.’ She forced a smile

 

Yoona sighed. She did not expect a sad story like this from Yuri’s past. She leaned on her pillow and looked through the windows. Trying to distract herself from the sad story that Yuri had just told her.

 

In the beginning, I already fell for you. I wanted you more than anything else in the world.

 

The words played on Yoona’s head.

 

‘Me too, Yuri.’