with greater love, comes greater suffering

with greater love, comes greater suffering

 

Chapter 4

Ever since the moment Yoona saw Yuri’s smile, she had become addicted to it. Instead of looking out of the window today during class, she was thinking about Yuri all the time. When it was finally lunchtime, she ran to her locker as fast as she could so she wouldn’t miss out any of the time with Yuri.

 

When she opened the Auditorium door, she saw Yuri again, sitting on one of the seats.

 

‘Hi… you can sit.’ Yuri said in an awkward tone again ‘Here’s your lunch.’

Yoona grab the lunch, which was a piece of sandwich and started to eat it. She was still wondering who was the ‘she’ that carried her to the sick bay yesterday, she didn’t remember having any ‘real practical’ friends in this school and Yuri is probably the only person she knew ‘officially’ so far. As soon as both of them finished eating their lunch, Yoona asked the question.

 

‘Yuri? Are you the one who carried me to the sick bay yesterday when I was injured?’ Yoona asked in a serious tone

 

‘What? She found out already?’ Yuri panicked a bit.

 

‘What? Um… no.’ Yuri wasn’t looking strait into Yoona’s eyes when she’s answering the question which gave Yoona the idea that Yuri was lying.

 

‘Stop lying, I know you’re the one.’

 

Yuri looked up into Yoona’s eyes.

 

‘Alright fine… I am the one.’ Yuri said in an awkward tone and tried to hide her face

 

‘You finally admit it, but why were you crying then?’

 

‘No, I can’t reveal that part.’ Yuri thought for the moment.

 

‘Well… I’m scared of getting suspended. After all, I am the one that made you ended up in sick bay.’ Yuri said it without looking into Yoona’s eyes again. Yoona knew Yuri was lying, but she knew everyone needs privacy, so she kept quiet for the next minute.

 

The bell rang and Yuri rushed to her locker without saying goodbye to Yoona.

 

‘Why did she cry? She’s definitely not the kind of person that would be scared of getting suspended from school. Something similar must’ve happened to her in her past, but what is it? I gotta find out what happened.’ she thought for the moment as she walked back to her locker.

 

-----------

 

After having the last period of lesson, it was home to everyone. While everyone was in the corridor screaming in excitement, Yuri walked slowly to her locker to pack her bag.

‘Another day ends…’ she mumbled as she grabbed her belongings

 

Yuri got into a small apartment, which she named it ‘home’. As an orphanage, this is probably the best Yuri could earn up: one bedroom, one dining room and a kitchen enough for only one person to cook at a time. Apart from regular furniture inside the apartment, the house was also filled with photographs.

 

Yuri picked up one of the photos and looked at it; apart from herself being the only person in the photo; there was another girl, similar to her age, standing right beside Yuri, smiling to review her white shiny teeth.

 

‘Unnie, please tell me what to do.’ Yuri mumbled as she lifted her hand to touch the photo.

 

-----------

 

Memories of Yuri

 

2 years ago…

 

It was her first day to school and unlike the other girls; she had nobody to take care everything for her. Just like Yoona’s first day, she went to the school office and got herself registered.

 

She was placed alone to the far right – hand corner of the class. Nobody was there to help her, to greet her or to try and be friends with her. She was alone and that was that.

 

It was lunchtime and Yuri got herself seated on one of the benches somewhere outside the canteen. She was alone.

 

‘Hi, I heard you’re the new girl.’ a voice suddenly greeted her

 

Yuri turned back to greet the voice which belongs to a girl with long curly black hair.

 

‘Hi, my name is_________’

 

‘Kwon Yuri, right? If I do remember.’ a girl with long straight hair greeted her from behind Yuri’s back.

 

‘Yeah.’

 

‘Do you mind if I could sit with you during lunch?’

 

Yuri was delighted to have someone sitting right beside her.

 

‘Oh! Sure! Have a seat.’ She said in a bright tone as she shoved her to the other side of the bench.

 

Both girls started eating their lunch.

 

‘So… how do you think of our school so far?’

 

‘Well… I guess I’m getting use to it.’ Yuri said as she took a bite of her lunch

 

When the two girls finished their lunch, it was already time for the bell to ring. The girl walked Yuri back to her locker and brought her to her next period of class.

 

‘Oh, I almost forgot to introduce myself, my name is Seohyun and nice meeting you today.’ She smiled and walked away.

 

Yuri smiled too as she saw the girl walked away.

 

‘Maybe, the world isn’t as bad as I thought it was.’ she thought for the moment and went inside the classroom.