Seven

Second Chance

Yeri is finally back to her home, right after midnight. Her parents spend their night at the hospital, so does Soohyun. She’s staring at her phone, there are 7 missed calls from Jk, and few messages from him asking her to wait for him because he’s going to take her home. She told him that she's fine and she’s already home now, afraid if Jungkook is actually going to see her again.

It’s a really long night after what happened, and she needs a peaceful sleep. She’s turning off her phone before going to bed for obvious reason, avoiding Jungkook and minimalized his existence on her minds.

Next morning, Yeri can heard a loud noise coming from someone else's car stopped in front of her house. It's still 8 AM, on her day-off, she planned to sleep for 30 minutes more before preparing for her visit to the hospital. She's coming out from her room after washing her face quickly when she heard a knock from the front door, she take a glance to the guest's car, and it's not Jungkook's. Yeri feels relieved but also dissapointed knowing that.

"What are you doing here?"

It's Seoyeon. Standing alone, in front of her door.

"I want to talk."

Yeri doesn't actually feel safe to be with her after what happened. So she's coming out and told her to talk in a convenience store near her house. A place where other people also can see them.

"What do you want?"

Yeri doesn't want to sounds harsh and rude to her, but this is just naturally shown. She can’t help it.

"I owe you an apology. I'm really sorry."

"You owe me more than one apology."

"I know, i already said sorry for locking you up at that room, but today i want to say sorry about taking Jaebum away from you."

Surprising, at least. What Jungkookk said to her last night probably affecting this behaviour.

"It's true you're taking him away from me, but it's not your fault that he's willing to left me."

"We didn't know you and Jungkook is aware about our relationship.”

Yeri is rolling her eyes, it's not even an affair or a mistake, but a relationship for her.

"We knew. But there will be no difference."

Seoyeon looks not so sure about what she's going to say, because her eyes looks wary and she's trying really hard to read Yeri's expression.

"is that it?"
 
Yeri is already getting up from her sit because Seoyeon is stopped talking, but she drag her back to her sit and she holds her hands now.

"Also..if what you're having with Jungkook right now has something to do with what we did to you too, i wish you could stop it right now."

New fact, Yeri is even more annoyed now when Jungkook's name is coming out from Seoyeon than when she mentioned Jaebum's name. She’s leaning her back to her seat and staring at her deeply.

"I'm not asking you to give him back because me too, i won't be able to let Jaebum go from me right now. But..."

"Are you crazy?"

Yeri is getting so angry right now, what's with her words and this cockiness. She doesn't even care with the fact that Seoyeon is her senior in college, she's just so annoying and making her angry.

"I did that with no intentions for hurting him.."

"Do you think i want to hurt him? i don't understand why are you doing this, you ruined him, you betrayed him, he already got hurt because of you."

"It was never my intention, i was just mad at him."

This is absurd. Totally doesn't makes sense.

"You told me you hates him, you told me he never cared about you, and now what?"

"I said it because i thought, he left me for you, i didn't know i was the one who hurts him."

Yeri always thought that herself is pitiful for ever loved a guy like Yoon Jaebum, but turns out Jungkook is even more miserable than her for ever cared and loved a girl like Seoyeon, she's so greeedy and selfish. Yeri is not saying anything to her anymore because she just so loss at words.

"Jungkook is probably one of the best thing that ever happened in my life.."

"Bull. Then why did you do that?"

Seoyeon looks serious now, and Yeri is a little bit bothered by the way she looks at her.

"I want more from him." She give Seoyeon a confused look because she doesn't understand what she said, more what?

"He hide so many things from me, he probably thought that i'm not worthy..."

"What do you mean?"

"Jeon Jungkook whom i know is probably only the surface of his real self and his complicated life. I already adore him that way, and at one point i want to learn about him more, i want to bcecome someone that is so important for him, i demand all of it but he pushed me away, i was so dissapointed, tired, and i gave up in the end."

Thank to what she said, Yeri remember what she did to Jungkook last night, she demanded the same thing from him, just like what Seoyeon did before. Yeri feels wronged and ashamed in an instant, what if Jungkook start to pushed her away too. He's probably not his real boyfriend, but the thought of losing him is already bothering her.

"That's why..i wish both of you could stop doing this and leave each other alone, it's already enough with Jaebum and me hurting you, don't do it to each other, don't hurt Jungkook, please."

***

Heavy and serious talk since early morning really making Yeri’s head dizzy. She is walking in her slipper, coming back to her home after say goodbye to Seoyeon. She told her that it'll be hard to forgive her, but she'll try. She also told her that what she has with Jungkook is her own business and told her to stay away from him for good. She let Jaebum go to her, it's enough.

"What did you do with your damn phone?"
Yeri lift her face from staring at the ground when she find Jungkook is already standing in front of her house, he is walking to her, looking worried, angry, and cursing in front of her face

"I.."

"Come with me." He is dragging her to his car and Yeri doesn’t like it, this is unacceptable, he always do whatever he wants.

"Let me go, you really need to stop telling me to do things, i'm not your toy."
 
Yeri kick his legs while saying that and it's enough to makes him stopped.

"Junghyun is getting a surgery right now, i'm taking you to the hospital."

"what are you talking about? He was fine yesterday.."

Yeri feels really bad hearing this, Junghyung was totally fine yesterday, she stare at Jungkook, judging him and looking for suspicious act from him just in case he’s in the middle of tricking her or something but she can not find it, he’s not lying about what he said.

She's at fault obviously. She shouldn't have left Junghyun yesterday, she shouldn't have turning off her phone, she should have asked how he was doing to makes sure that he is ok.

"Wait..!" Yeri is taking Jungkook's car key with a quick movement and she started to run, she's opening the car door roughly and sit behind the wheel, while Jungkook told her to get out.

"No, you're not driving my car. I'll drive. "

"Is he going to die?"

She asked Jungkook with a shaking voice, but he is not answering anything, he pushed Yeri away from his seat and start driving his car.

"Your parents called you since early morning.."

Yeri doesn't really listen to what Jungkook said, she only think about Junghyun and about how stupid she is right now.

"I'm as confused as you, i don’t know anything about what is exactly happening right now, so i couldn't tell you if he's going to die or he's going to be ok.."

Jaebum will definetely tell her everything is gonna be ok and Yeri doesn't need to worry, he will hold her hands telling her to stop crying and told her that Junghyun is going to be fine.

But Jeon Jungkook is different for a reason.

***

 

A brain hemorrage, it was shown last night after the 2nd ct scan was conducted for Junghyun. It's not severe but he still needs the surgery.

That's what Yeri heard from Chaeyeon when she finally reach the hospital. Both of her parents looks super shocked, they're not even spare a glance to Yeri, looks like they're mad at her because she couldn't be contacted for hours.

Soohyun, her 10 years old sister is also here, crying, sitting on Jungkook's lap who suddenly feels like an important figure to her family. He hold her sister, patting her mom's back and sometimes bringing a bottle of water to his dad, who looks anxious waiting for the surgery.

Of course Jaebum will probably do all of this things too if he was here, but Yeri can not guarantee if he’ll be genuinely doing that or just simply looking for a praise.

And as for now, does Jungkook is genuine with what he’s doing? she is also not sure, but he already receive an A class pass from her family because of his dad relation with her parents, so it's actually doesn't make any difference for him. He gains nothing from doing this.
 

"How's my son?" The surgery ended in two and half hour, the doctor is out looking satisfied but also exhausted. Yeri's dad is the first one who notice and talks to him.

"We still need to wait for his conditions after he wakes up. But for now, he'll be fine."

Everyone looks relieved, Yeri’s mom is already stopped crying with hands on Jungkook's arms.

Meanwhile for Yeri, well a doctor could be a liar too, just see what Jaebum did, despite being smart and probably the candidate of successful doctor in town, he's still cheated and lied to her. So Yeri decide to take what he said with a grain of salt she just want to see Junghyun and told him that she's sorry.

"Chaeyeon-ah, you should come home now, your parents must be worried, you've been here since yesterday."
Yeri's mom talk to Chaeyeon while caressing her hair, the poor girl is probably feels really bad, her face is bloated for crying too much.

"You should go too, takes Soohyun home, i'll wait for Junghyun here."

Her dad is caressing her moms back while patting Soohyun’s back who’s sleeping on the chair. Yeri is the total villain right now, she slept really well last night, when everyone is here, anxious, worried, and scared. She also couldn't get contacted for hours, her parents is already worried about Junghyun and Yeri is only making the situation worse for went missing.

"You should go too, dad. I'm going to stay here."

"Can we trust you?"

Yeri’s parents is great, they loves their childrens with all their heart, but they're quite strict for things like this. And Yeri knows that she deserved it.

"Where have you been? we tried calling you since dawn, I already see one of my kid laying down at the hospital, i can not afford to lose another one."

Her mom looks extremely tired and dissapointed, Yeri can't imagine how afraid they are when she is nowhere to be found. She just feels sorry to everyone.

"I..was.."

"Yeri was with me."

Jungkook is suddenly showed up and talk to her parents while bowing his head.

And this one, Jaebum will never did this, he'll be the one who throw someone else under the bus to protect himself, not like this.

"All night?" Her dad looks totally unamused by his words. He looks angry, completely.

"I asked her to help me with somethin.."

"Yeri is my daughter first, before she is your girlfriend."

Thing is totally not looking good, her dad getting mad and furious is never a good situation.

"I'm really sorry."

Both of her parents is already stressed with what happened to Junghyun, Jungkook doing this is defintely not making him looks good in front of everyone.

"I was going to come here first time in the morning but i overslept."

Yeri thinks it won't look good for Jungkook to get blamed by himself. So she stood up for herself on this. Both of her parents looks furious now, they take Soohyun who's sleeping with them and left both Yeri and Jungkook.

"I'll talk to your father about this." That's what her dad said before he finally gone from their sight.

Yeri take a glance at Jungkook, who looks slightly regretting what just happened when the only one left on the corridor is them.

"Don't you think it's better for them to know the truth? the truth that i turned my phone off all night because i don't want to get bothered since i wasn't in a good mood, even though i know my brother just got into an accident.."

"They'll get even more upset that way."

True that. They're mad ofcourse but at least her parents could be a little bit feeling better knowing the one who irresponsible is not their daughter but other people's son.

***

Jungkook takes Yeri for a breakfast at the cafetaria. She feels wronged to him about what happened so she's not saying anything to him.

"Where did you go so early in the morning?" It's him who talks to her first.

Yeri is biting her lips, thinking if it's better or worse to let Jungkook knows about her meeting with Seoyeon.

"Seoyeon came to see me." She never could lie to Jungkook, even if she could he’ll always find a way to caught her. He is taken aback hearing this obviously, and give Yeri a deep gaze.

"What? What did she do?"

"Nothing. She just came to me for an apology after what happened. She told me that she can not give Jaebum back to me..so i told her, i already let him go. And..."

It's probably better to not talk about what she said regarding Jungkook. Yeri doesn't want him get confused about Seoyeon anymore.

"And?"

"That's it." She finished her talk with an awkward smile.

"So you're not coming back to him or anything?"

"Why would i do that?"

"Last night you told me that our relationship won't work because you’re still in love with him?"

Yeri laughing at him when he said that. It's not true.

"It's only an excuse. You and me won't work because you are you and me is me. We're just..."

Jungkook looks so done with her words and now he stopped staring at her and focus to his breakfast again.

"I just need to work harder for a chance, right?"

"I don't hate you or anything."

Yeri stopped talking when Jungkook is no longer responding to her words.

Junghyun is awake after 5 hours. Yeri and Jungkook already talked about so many things while waiting for him, she even took a nap for an hour, head in Jungkook's lap while he is also sleeping at one of the couch. It feels natural and it does feels like he is a real boyfriend, and thanks to him Yeri feels so much calmer while waiting.

"Don't force him to talk too much. He still needs lots of rest."

That's what the doctor said when Yeri asked him about Junghyun. The boy looks so pale and he does nothing but giving Yeri a smile when he wakes up. She feels thankful that he is fine.

"You should call your parents and tell them that he is awake."

Yeri take a glance to Jungkook and shake her head to him.

"I'm scared."

"Should i do it for you instead?"

"Trust me, your voice is probably the least they wanted to hear today. I'll call, you stay here with Junghyun."

He’s nodding his head and Junghyun looks content with him staying.

***

Yeri takes a deep breath before she used Jungkook's phone to call her parents. Her dad is probably a better choice, so she decide to called him. It's only a few seconds before he picks up the phone.

"It's me." Yeri's voice is weak because she still feels bad about what happened.

"Yerimmie?" He sounds surprised, worried and a little bit awkward now.

"What's wrong?"

"Junghyun is awake."

"Really? I'll be there"

"Dad? I'm sorry."

"Let's talk later."

"No, i don't want to let Junghyun see that you guys are mad at me for what i did, and also Jungkook oppa is not at fault."

Yeri can heard a heavy sigh from her father, looks like he's totally not in a mood for doing this conversation.

"I'll decide myself if he's at fault or not, even though i am sure you’re also not doing any good."

"But.."

"I'll see you there." He’s cutting off the phone call and Yeri can not do anything about it.

***

Yeri is back to Junghyun's room only for  watching both of the boys having a conversation.

"Hyung told me that you were with him last night, making mom and dad angry?"

Yeri can't believe Jungkook told him that, it's a made up story.

"Stop calling him like that, he's not even your brother."

It's weird, but Yeri feels slightly uncomfortable to let everyone on her family getting used with Jungkook’s existence.

"I grow up without a siblings my whole life, so it's nice to have him around calling me that."

Yeri is not saying anything, well..if they're happy, what right she has to stop them. It's just a little bit makes her feels bad when Junghyun is treating Jungkook really well, when he always act indifferent to any of her other boyfriends before.

"Why are you still wearing your pajamas? It's already 4PM."

Yeri take a look at herself after hearing Junghyun's words. She's a total mess, the only thing she did this morning is only washing her face and brush her teeth before meeting Seoyeon and coming here.

"There's a store in the first floor, you can buy some toiletries and a simple clothes to changes."

Yeri is aware about that store Jungkook tells her, she also want to buy some snack before, but she doesn't have her wallet, he paid for her breakfast earlier.

"I don't have my wallet..Can i borrow you money?"

Embarassing, totally. She never asked money from Jaebum for the past 2 years, but since this is emergency and Jungkook feels more like a friend instead of a boyfriend who need to get impressed, Yeri is brave enough to asked him. He doesn't looks surprised at all with that question, he takes his wallet and give it to her, all of it.

"What is this?"

"Just in case you want to buy anything else."

Yeri knows he is having tons of fortune, judging from how he's living his life, his dad, his car, it won't hurt him to spend some money for a friend, like her.

"Ok, then.."

One set of toiletries, a simple clothes, and few snacks. Yeri is trying to control her greed to buy a lot of things, bc she used Jungkook's money and not her own. And it's worked, her bill doesn't come out a lot. She open the wallet to pay with his money.
She knows taking out some cash is enough to stop her paying attention to his private belonging, like a wallet, but Yeri is curious when she found one old photo, a beautiful woman, looks like it's already kept in there for so long and it's not that hard to realized that it's his mom. She staring at it for a while, because it’s so fascinating, she doesn’t even kept her parents picture on her wallet.

Jungkook is never talked abt her, Yeri never meet her, her parents doesn't know her, and judging from what his dad told Yeri few months ago, it's almost certain that the past Jungkook hide from others has something to do with her. Well, good thing is he still cares for her with keeping her picture on his wallet like this.

***

Yeri take her time to wash up and changing her clothes. And when she's back to Junghyun's room. Her parents is already here, Jungkook looks stiff but he still handle it well when Yeri's dad give his phone to Jungkook and now he's talking to someone through it. Someone is calling him through her dad’s phone, their relationship is surely moving past for people around them but not for Yeri and Jungkook

"When did you arrive?"

"Few minutes ago."

Her mom is busy caressing Junghyun and staring at him while crying. Looks like the acciden is hard for her too handle. Well..Yeri always know Junghyun always has a special place on her heart because according to what she heard, she was having an extremely though time when deliver him.

Yeri is walking toward Jungkook, she wants to give him back his wallet but her dad stopped her.

"He's talking with someone."

"She's my boyfriend first before your friend's son. I just want to give him this."

Yeri doesn't know why she feels upset with her dad. Maybe she still feels bad about what happened earlier and how he react to her apology on the phone.

"Fine. Do whatever you want."

Her dad doesn't mad but laugh at her while saying that. He probably thought that Yeri is hilarious for being so protective to Jungkook, because Yeri too feels the same way. She feels funny doing this.

"I'm sorry."

Yeri seems realized that she's being rude to her father and said sorry to him and giving him her hand.

Their relationship is good because there are less than 20 years age difference between them. He got married when he was young, so instead of a dad Yeri usually treat him as a friend too.

"That's ok. It's not like i'm competing wih him for something."

Jungkook is back and giving her dad phone back to him. His expression is totally not good, he looks anxious, nervous, and confused. He give Yeri a quick smile when their eyes met.

"Who is it?" Yeri is curious obviously.

Her dad and Jungkook is now staring at her at the same time.

"Hey..i should really go right now."

Yeri doesn't like that Jungkook is not answering her question but told her that he is leaving instead.

"What? Why?" She’s watching him wear his jacket and said goodye to Junghyun and her mom.

"It was his aunt calling."

Yeri finally got an answer from her dad and well..it's makes sense if he was told to leave by his family but what’s with his expression. It's unusual and makes her uncomfortable.

"I'll be going then."

He takes his wallet from Yeri's hand and bowing his head to her dad really fast. She is following him when he start to walk away, inviting a glance from both of her parents and also Junghyun.

"Where are you going?"
Her question is enough to stop Jungkook from his walk and now standing in front of her, staring at the floor.

"I'll call you."

"I don't have my phone, can you tell me where are you going? Or when will you back? Is there any problem? What's wrong? Can i do anything to help you?"

Demanded. Just like what Seoyeon did before Jungkook pushed her away. Yeri is aware it's not good for their relationship if she keep doing this. But she's just curious..at least he should let her know that much, as a privillege from being a woman he likes.

Jungkook seems realized that their conversation and Yeri's word still can clearly heard by everyone. So he drag her outside and give her a hug.

"I'll be back" Yeri is not hugging him back because this is not what she wants.

"I'll be fine even if you don't."

Lie.

"Good. Take care."

***

Yeri is back to Junghyun's room looking down and dissapointed.

"He needs to taking care of something in Busan."

Her mom talking to her as soon as she’s back. Well, it’s not that hard to let her know, why would Jungkook always try to act mysterious in front of her. It’s really pissed her off sometimes.

"You looks so in love with him."

Junghyun is joining their converstaion and Yeri is not saying anything, because she also doesn't know. At some point she thought that she does like him but the other times she always regretting her meeting with him.

"Kim Yerim. Can i talk to you?" Her mom is now getting up from her sit and hold Yeri’s hand, dragging her outside.

"What is it?"

"You asked me abt Jungkook's mom before.. i already heard from his dad. She left him when he was a kid. She left her family. Gone."

Yeri is already expecting this to be honest, judging from how Jungkook ever mentioned anything aboutt her at all.

"He never told me."

"He's probably still waiting for the right time. It's a painful past for him you know. His dad was never went to a college when he left..he got married at 18, Jungkook was born when he barely 19, things get hard for that young and little family and the mother left."

Wow some heavy stuffs right there. Jungkook's life is a total opposite from Yeri's.

"Why are you telling me this?"

"For you to not selfishly treating him like one of your ex boyfriend..."

"He won't like it if i treat him differently just because his life was hard and my life wasn't"

"Who said your life wasn't hard? I had you when i was 20 years old, there were times when i regretting my choice for getting married and having a kid at such young age. There were times when i wish you never born.. times when i want to leave everything behind and forgetting you, Your life was hard by having me as your mom. You were just too young to remember and Jungkook was not."

Yeri is speechless, this is the first hearing it, She never thought that her parents having it hard. She always thought they're both happy since forever because that's what she saw from them.

"Jungkook and you falling in love and meeting with each other sounds surreal for me, when his dad, me, your father had our own story and struggles in the past,  i'm not a believer of coincidence. So i’m sure there's always a reason for everything. Including your encounter with him, and my encounter with his father. "

Really? Yeri doesn’t know about that.




It's been 3 days since Yeri saw Jungkook back at the hospital. He said he would call but he didn't. It's a lie if Yeri said what her mom told her about Jungkook's past doesn't makes her think.
Maybe this is what Seoyeon want to hear from Jungkook, story about his past..and after hearing that Yeri is not sure if she actually want to involve with it.

"Yerimmie.." Her mom just got back from work when she came to her room and making her stopped from her daydreaming.

"Yeah.."

"Jungkookie is here."

Yeri is getting down from her bed really quick and her mom doesn't looks surprised at all.

"Thanks."

Jungkook is here, he is in the living room talking to Soohyun and showing her something from his phone.

"Soohyun-ah, time to do your homework."

Yeri's mom is taking her away and now Yeri can see Jungkook even more clearly. He cut his hair.

It's hard to not feel sorry to him after she knows about his past. So Yeri come to him and giving him a hug. He is surprised but he's accepting it well.

"Do you miss me?"

"A little bit. I don't have anyone to argue and fight with."

Yeri really want to ask about what happened and ask him about the story regarding his mom. But she doesn't have any courage, she feels afraid of the burden from knowing too much when she's not even sure about her feelings for him.

Yeri let Jungkook go, when she heard a sound of someone entering the front door. His dad is here, after what happened at the hospital few days ago, he acted to him differently, maybe he's still angry about what happened, just like right now, he's not saying anything but only give Jungkook a smile while leaving them behind. Yeri is aware that Jungkook is also uncomfortable about the situation, it's not like he's actually at fault or something, he was just covering her up.

***

"Does he ok?" her dad is finally joining Yeri and her mom at the living room after Jungkook is gone. He's avoiding him for sure.

Jungkook is going home after a few hours of chit chat with Yeri and her mother. Nothing special, they only talked abt what he did back in Busan. It’s obvious for Yeri that her mother is trying really hard to treat Jungkook in a normal way, but she totally failed, she pays more attention to him, staring at him with sad eyes, see him as some unfortunate creature.

"I just found out about what happened on his life, and i can not see him in the eye. I feel really wronged."

Yeri doesn't like this, his life is unfortunate, yes, but he's not that weak to actually receive all this pity and grieves from everyone else, including her parents.

"Can both of you stopped this?"

"What are you talking about?"

"This, treating him as some kind of wounded, weak, and helpless creature who can not stand by himself. I know him more than you, he's not that kind of person, stop giving him sad eyes or the staring at him with such a guilty look him."

Both of her parents is totally surprised with what she said, they understand what she means but it's also not easy for them.

“Yeri, you already knew about what is going on with Jungkook, but we just found out that his mother..she’s our friend, i was the one who take her to meet Jungkook’s dad despite only knowing her for few days. We’re all young and reckless, they decide to run away from everyone, from us, getting married and...you know what happened.. We have a right to feels guilty."

Hearing this, Yeri started to belive what her mom told her about fate and how she could tangled with Jungkook in such a way, everything happened because of what was going on in the past.

"We agreed to not tell Yerim abt this." Her mom is the one who looks annoyed now, seems they already made an agreement about this matter.

"Why? what about me?"

"What happened in the past is my fault not yours, we don't want you to have a burden because of it.."

"What kind of burden? you think that i'll stay with Jungkook, helping him because i feel guilty about what you did, it's not even a mistake. His parents made their own choice to got married and run away."

There's a silent from both of her parents, Yeri is not used with this, her life is ordinary. Nothing is overly dramatic and complicated on her life, but what is this now?

"Kim Yerim, we just want you to be happy."

"I'm not even sure if my happines is there with Jungkook ..it could be someone else and not him, so you really need to stop with all of this blast from the past and making me confused."




I'm going to post another chapter few hours from now.. enjoy