Fourteen

Second Chance

Yeri is totally not in a good condition right now, she's scared after witnessing how messed up Jungkook's family is. She's just an ordinary woman who grown up in a simple surrounding, she fought with her parents for a few times but its never get so intense like what Jungkook and his dad had. She can not get used to this, never.

"Yeri-ya!" It's Jungkook's voice. She heard it a long with knocks on her door.

It's an impulse, She feels bad for doing this but she can not help it, she close really quick, trying to not making any sound, hiding from him, from Jungkook. Is that even makes sense?

"She's sleeping already." She feels really thankful when the staff from earlier is helping her with her request.

"Really? ok then."

He is gone, she can still heard his step but then it's completely silent outside.

Yeri is not sleeping at all, it's been hours since she's laying on her bed but her eyes won't close. So many things are bothering her.
She used her phone and spend hours flipping her gallery, she's staring at each picture she took with Jungkook for the past few months.There are also pictures of him with Junghyun and Soohyun, taken on his birthday few months ago, when Yeri made a surprise event for him with help from her siblings. None of her previous boyfriend has their picture taken with her family or being close with them like him. It's fascinating for her, when he manage to become a part of her life in such a short times. The only thing she did wrong was, she let him entering her life completely, she let him learned about her life, but not the other ways. She's already fall for him before she could even understand all this situation.

***


Yeri choose to come out from her room, bc she feels suffocated inside, it's 1 AM. She stare at her suitcase which she prepared earlier, she actually have thoughts to run away from this.

The hall in front of her room is empty, noone is here, even the office where Jungkook and his father had an argument before is empty too, and dark. The only one with lights on is only Jungkook’s room, it's so bright that even some of the lights was escaped from behind its door.

He must be having a hard time after what happened. Conflict with your parents is never an easy problem, especially when you only have one, you can not find a shelter to hide or seeking comfort. It's so different with Yeri, if one day she has an argument with her dad, she'll tell everything to her mom and vice versa. It is easier to get through if someone is there for you, listening to you and making everything better, Jungkook need someone like that obviously.

She's standing in front of his door, worried and also wronged. She has no plan to see him right now because she doesn't know how to deal with it..but again, if it's about Jungkook then her plan will never work. She just feels the urge to see how's he doing after the horrible incident so she open the door slowly, it's not locked. And Jungkook is there,sleeping on his big bed, lonely, sad, and looks small.


She choose to enter the room and focusing at her surrounding. His room is so different compared to his room back in Seoul, there are so many things here. A few awards and trophies was placed at the corner of the room. Almost everything is from martial arts competition. A huge photo of him, when he was a kid is hanging in the wall.

It's so full with memories, Jungkoo's life she never know. She feels at ease when she's looking around at his room, it's actually bring peace to watch things about him, things he never talked about. There's a smile coming from her while seeing these old pictures of him, he looks so happy.

She close her eyes, thinking about everything Jungkook ever did to her, all his affections and what he did to help her going through her life. It's actually ridiculous to get scared over him.


Yeri decide to climb his bed and laying down next to him. He won't wake up because of this, he's quite a heavy sleeper..unless when he's actually not sleeping like right now.


He turn his body to her, eyes wide open and smiling at her. 

"What's wrong?" He asked her with a low and deep voice. He sounds tired.
 

"I can't sleep."

She buried her face on his embrace because that's probably the most comfortable place she has to lean on right now.

 

"Why?"
 

"I'm worried about you. What is going on?"

She actually want to say scared, but it’s probably not a good words to say at times like this. She can heard a heavy long sigh coming from him before he bring her closer and caressing her back.

 

"My dad asked his employee to find information about his ex wife."
 

"Your mother?"
 

He reply her question with a nod. And there's no more smile on his tired face.
 

"He already knew about her coming back. And things won't be good for him if he keep doing this. He's torturing himself."
 

Jungkook looks so stressed while telling her the story. And it honestly makes her heart hurts more than anything. Why is he so pitiful.
 

"You don't need to get angry at him."
 

"I don't."


She is judging his answer because she knows it's not the truth. He realized that, and now he gets up from his bed and so does Yeri. They're sit next to each other right now.


"Maybe you should talk to him in a more friendly manner. Not screaming and looking angry even though you feels frustrated with what he did."
 

He listens to her words really well and take a quick glance at her before covering his face. He looks so confused and lost. And seeing all of this makes her thinks that maybe her dad was right, Everything happened to Jungkook is her family’s fault, it's so not fair that he and his dad lived a hard life while Yeri and her family is happy.
 

"Don't stare at me like that."


"Like what?"


"Like i'm so vulnerable and pitiful.."

"That's because it's true. I don't think i can grow up like you if i were in your position. Don't tell me the way how to love you.."
 

She ended up giving him a hug and let him rest his head on her shoulder.


"I'm really sorry." She said it because, she does feels sorry. And Jungkook is pulling himself from her, and looking at her, puzzled.

"You don't need to. It's not your fault."

Well, She feels sorry because she's been acting like a coward, avoiding him because she doesn't want to have a burden and feeling hurt seeing Jungkook having a hard time dealing with his problem.

"I know. i just want to say that.."

She’s using her sleeves to wipe her teary eyes, and holding Jungkook's face before kissing him, short but deep, so he knows how genuine her feelings for him and how she's sorry.

"It feels weird to kiss you in front of your childhood pictures hanging in the wall like this."

She ended up laughing while staring a huge frame behind Jungkook and he's following her gaze. It was him, maybe 4 years old, smiling to the camera, so bright, and like a total baby.

"I can put it down right now, and you can do everything you want.."

The hilarious and funny Jungkook, She is loving this side of him, the way he and his mischievous smile when he did that. She loves everything about it from him, because he looks happy.

"No. What do you think i'm gonna do here? in your own house? when your father is here."

Yeri is hitting his arms lightly while getting down from the bed and now walking around his room, she stopped in an old desk, it's so full with old book, accessories, and some old toys.

"Come here, give me a tour for this one." She's waving her hand to Jungkook who's still sitting on his bed and he came to her in a heavy step, like a kid.

"What do you want to know?"

"Everything. When was this?"

Yeri is pointing her hand to a medium size framed pictures, Jungkook and his father is in there, he's probably not more than 2 years old, sitting on his lap holding some kind of doll on his hand.

"I don't remember. Kids that age still have undeveloped brain.."

"You can just say you don't remember."

She use her hands to cover Jungkook's mouth because he's being too noisy with his talk, it's almost 2 AM, everyone is sleeping right now.

"You told me you want a tour."

"Not, a detailed one.."

He takes her hand from his face and holding it now, while she's continuing her tour in this small and cozy old room.

"Oh..you looks great in your graduation picture."

There's a picture of him together with his friends, already a grown up, it's his graduation day, middle school perhaps.

"yeah."

"what is “yeah” ?"

"You told me to not went into a detail."

"Since when you're willing to follow what i want, you were usually doing things according to your will not mine.."

Yeri is teasing him of course, because she remembers her first encounter with him, he always want to take control over everything without discussing it with her.

"I don't usually good to people i just met."

That's his defence, and for her, it's a ridiculous excuse.

"You were acting like a jerk since our first encounter and all the encounters after..remember when you humiliating me with that stupid event..."

Jungkook is letting go of her hand and watching her talking, he doesn't looks wronged or anything. He just looks amused because Yeri still remember every moment she spent with him and bringing it out to talked about few months later, like right now.

"You must be excited everytime you see me, right? even when you hated me."

That's not completely wrong, she is always excited to see him even though the only thing they did back then was hurting each other and arguing. That's because.. just like what Junghyun said..Jungkook changed her to become more honest about herself, she's becoming brave on expressing what she likes and what she hates to others.
"What about you?"

"Of course, i want to see you often. Especially after.."

"After, i'm drunk kissing you and we almost sleep together?"

Yeri is cutting his words quickly because she knows Jungkook will start teasing her about that time again. Even though, that night is actually not really worth to talk about anymore, since she’s been doing a similar thing for a dozen times with him, while being sober for the past few months they’re dating, and it wasn’t ended at almost anymore. He is laughing because of her words but shake his head lightly.

"Not that one, but... after you're willing to spend time with my dad, even when i'm not there. When you talked to him for hours and accompanying him. That was really sweet of you.."

Unexpected, at least for Yeri..she doesn't know that was such a big event for him, when she was just being polite by not refusing his father invitation.

"Too much compliments."

Jungkook is so different with Jaebum, who can always easily give Yeri a compliment, even when what he said actually an empty words, but he did it often. Calling her cute and pretty numerous times, he said i love you all the time too, so she already used with it.

Meanwhile with Jungkook, who's doing it 90% less than him..cliche and simple compliment like this is enough to makes her heart fluttered and making them awkward.

"I think i fell in love with you since then."

She is really taken aback with his words, happy but also annoyed by the way he said it. He doesn't looks serious and saying it while flipping his old collection of pokemon card.
It's her first time learning about this. About when Jungkook is actually start liking her as something more than a fake girlfriend.

"It's already hard for me to saying this, so please don't expect more confession from me and stop staring at me like that. It's embarrassing."

He talks without looking at her, still flipping his card book, and she can see his face is started to get really red, so she knows that she really need to appreciate this even more, because that must be not easy for him to say. There’s a silent between them and Yeri is ignoring his request, she’s looking at him for one whole minute before start talking to him again.

"When you're there helping my family while Junghyun is getting his surgery.”

She's now following what he’s doing, flipping the card book. and Jungkook is the one who get confused.

"What is it?”

"Just in case you want to know, when my feelings started growing for you."

Yeri is turning her face back to Jungkook and caressing it, she really feels wronged to him after what she did tonight, getting scared without a reason and even packing her bag to run away.

"I'm good at things like this, i'll tell you how much i love you every time i want. I told you to expect some incredible things as my boyfriend, right? I'll do everything.. so please..don't get hurt over your problems with your father, don't get angry at him, you'll save so much energy that way, you can use it for playing with me."

She needs to let him know what she want, at least.

Jungkook is not saying anything and just giving her one little smile. It's actually out of her league, she doesn't know his life, but she also needs to tell him that she's not great at handling this thing.

"I never want to let you involve with my messed up life."

"Well..i am here now, i just want you to know that outside that mess, you can still have a small world where unicorn is exist peaceful and full of rainbow.. with me."

She's purposefully talking in an exaggerate manner because back then Jungkook is the one who always called her out for believing too much in fairy tale, but right now she wants him to have one. He looks content with what she said even though he knows Yeri means it as a sarcasm.


***


"Jungkook-ah! Jungkook-ah!"

Yeri is losing her smile so does Jungkook, when the door was knocked from the outside, fast and hard. It was Jungkook's dad's voice. She is staring at Jungkook who looks really surprised and nervous with it, he opens the door with hands holding her close to him.

"Stay behind me."

That's what he said before Yeri find his father in a messier condition than before. His eyes are reds, looks like he suddenly woke up from his sleep and running here immediately, he is not wearing his slipper.

"Where is my son?"

Yeri doesn't understand what's going on when she heard that. Jungkook is right here, standing tall in front of him, so this is totally not making any sense when he asked where his son is. She ended up staring at Jungkook, looking for an explanation, but looks like he already drawn in his own thoughts, from his eyes Yeri can see that this is not the first time he's dealing with this situation.

"Mr. Jeon, calm down." It's Jungkook addressing his own father as Mr. Jeon like he is one of  the butler in this house. This is so weird.

He is letting go of her hand to hold his father shoulder, but Mr. Jeon is becoming more angry when he did that. He tossed Jungkook's hand and entering the room really fast, Yeri was bumped by his shoulder really hard.

"Jeon Jungkook! where are you?"

She can not do anything but watching this scene in a total confusion. He keeps calling Jungkook’s name, looking for him like he’s not here.

"Are you ok?" Jungkook is checking on her and she immediately shakes her head.

"No, I’m not. what is going on?"

She asked him in a shaking voice because she just scared and confused, but Jungkook ignores her without answering and start running to his dad who begin throwing things while still calling his name.

"You took away my son ! Give me back my son! "

There's no love on his eyes when he said that words to Jungkook, it's so different with what she usually watch. And it get worse when he start throwing things to him without thinking, his eyes is angry. A huge and heavy RC car is landing on Jungkook's head, making his forehead scratched and wounded. In reflects, Yeri is running to him and holding his face to see his wound, it's only a matter of time before blood coming from there, the scratch looks bad.

"Wake everyone up, told them to come here." He said that while still avoiding a few thing his father throw.This is a madness.

And when Yeri lift her face to see Mr. Jeon in a closer look, he really reminds her to Jungkook when he was standing in front of her house, drenched in a rain. He's hurt, sad, and helpless.

"You should leave with me, you're injured. It's not safe for you to be here."

Both of them stopped talking when they heard a loud voice of Mr. Jeon screaming, he's calling Jungkook's name near the window. And almost throw himself out there, bending his body to look around outside.

"He is my father!" Jungkook talks to Yeri with higher tone before he grab his father, and that's enough to makes her take a few steps back from him. The next second, she was pulled by the female staffs she knew from earlier and everyone start to entering the room. All of his staffs ,and the only thing she can do right now is watching this mess with thousand of questions.

What happened? why this happened? what is wrong? is it happened because of her? why Jungkook and his dad is so miserable? Is there anything she could help?

"Are you ok?"

Yeri was asked by the female staff, and she nod her head lightly, she has tears fullfilled her eyes without she realized, she's crying. A lot.

"I'm fine, but Jungkook oppa is hurt."

"Yeah, he's being treated right now."

Jungkook is there, joined by the other staffs, holding his father, giving him a hug while someone else put a bandaid on his forehead. He's really doing a lot for his father, and Yeri feels so small in front of him, the only thing she did for her father is nothing more but bothering him, even before this trip, she still giving him hard time. Meanwhile Jungkook..

"Call, Dr. Lee, tell him this is an emergency. Take my father to the hospital."

He is taking a command for all of this staffs, they're nodding their head and begin to work, one of them is calling this Dr. Lee and the others is helping Mr. Jeon to walk. He's still crying and calling Jungkook's name, when he passed by in front of Yeri, she give him a squeeze on his hand. Cold.


"Help me holding this."

Jungkook is also passing by in front of her, he's treating his own injured forehead with a little help from the staff. And Yeri finally knows, why he's really good at treating himself when he was wounded by Jaebum's punch few months ago. He used to it. He doesn't say anything nor aware about Yeri’s existence, because he walking out straight from the room and following his father without sparing any glance to her. She also doesn't have enough courage to be with him, not right now. This is like an entire different type of life for her, she doesn't know how to fit in.

 

***

The house is quiet again when almost everyone is leaving to the hospital including Jungkook and his father. Yeri left with a few female staffs, and securities.

"I think it was happened because his ex wife is back." She only listen to their conversation while holding a cup of tea and covering her face, this is so stressful.

"It was like this a few months ago too. Don't you think it got worse every time Mr. Jungkook is here?”


"Excuse me, but what exactly is going on right now?"

Yeri can't help but becoming curious, she want to know what kind of troubles this household has.

"Mr. Jeon is sick. I only work here since 3 years ago, and this is the second time i'm witnessing this." One of the staff talk to her very carefully and honestly it is not helping her curiosity.

"Can someone take me there? to the hospital?" She ended up getting up from her sit and one of the security is also do the same.

"I'll take you there."

"Thank you very much."

 





The last time Yeri came to a hospital is few months ago when Junghyun had an accident. Even hospital in Busan is also giving a same vibe. Uncomfortable.

She already asked one of the nurse about Jungkook and his dad, she told her that his father is in the middle of doing a test and she showed her the place. It takes her few minutes for Yeri to find the corridor, the nurse told her earlier. Jungkook is here, sitting in front of the huge room, alone.. she’s not seeing any of the staffs from earlier.His wound is already treated in a better way, and it's actually makes her feel at ease when he's still here, looking fine, physically, at least.

This is even worse than what she saw at dinner time few hours ago, if before Jungkook is angry, right now he just looks devastated, stressed, sad. And Yeri doesn't want to run away again. Jungkook is probably don't need her, but she need him to be ok.

He still not aware about her being here, so Yeri touch his shoulder when she finally sit next to him. He's flinched with that small touch, but he looks relieved when their eyes met. She give him a smile and Jungkook is not responding anything, he only takes her hand and now hugging it while eyes back staring at the room's door. It's hard even for him too.
They're not talking to each other for 5 minutes and more, but then he is taking a glance to her.

"I’m sorry.. I'll tell you everything."

"No, it's ok, i'm not here for some interrogation, i am here to make sure my man is fine."

She manage to bring out a smile from him when she said that, and it's good enough, for her heart.

"I am fine."

"Great."

She give him a quick kiss and back staring at the room, until someone finally came out. Jungkook is dragging her to gets up and now two of them is standing in front of Dr. Lee, that's what Yeri found on his id attached to his white coat.

"Twice in 6 months, things are not looking good Jungkook-ah.." He begin to talk and Jungkook is so focused at his words.

"He didn't need to come here before."

"That's because you were not there."

Yeri is still not following this conversation, so she just listening to it in silent, while sometimes staring at Jungkook who totally looks stressed.

"I don't want to go back to zero. He's already fine for the last 8 years..i can't afford to let him suffers. You need to give him space. You could get hurt too."

Well, with this she can understand that Dr. Lee doesn't want Jungkook to showed up in front of his father for a time being.

"My mother is back. He was looking for her.."

"I know, and that’s why he really need to stop doing that."

"I tried.."

So that's why Jungkook was so intense when he found out about his dad doing. It's started to makes sense for Yeri..and of course if her dad back in Seoul is already know about this.. The guilty feeling will never fade away, judging from how he act so indifferent about her relationship with Jungkook, he probably knows about this already.

"I don't want him to see you, not right now..i hope you understand."And the doctor left.

Can you imagine? one day you were told to not be able see your parents because your existence is ruining their well being.
That would be bad, really bad, at least for Yeri.

 

***

"You skipped your dinner."

Yeri already bought two portion of simple soup for Jungkook to eat. It's already 5 in the morning, he can treat this as a breakfast instead. But he won't eat.

"I'll eat later."

"I could stay with your dad, and taking care of him. Don't worry."

"Aren't you afraid of him?"

That question is unexpected, and she knows Jungkook is also noticed how surprise she is. He knows he’s right, so he give her a smile and continuing his talk.

"It's ok, you don't need to do that."

"How about you? aren't you afraid of him?" It feels bad to get caught, so Yeri asking him a same question.

"I was afraid. There were times when i locked myself in my room because he keeps looking for me when i was clearly there."

“Did he hurts you?” Yeri use her hand to pointing his wound.

“Not in purpose.”

"What happened?"

She already lost her will to eat, and keeps asking Jungkook about what was happened on his life, the reason.

"After my mother left, he's in a total loops of misery, he can not get out, traumatized, he received treatment from Dr. Lee."

Jungkook's eyes is empty as he started to recalls all the memories.

"I was only 11 years old when she left, my father couldn't take care of me at that time, so i live with my grandparents..in 2 years he's finally free, but the incident like last night happened at least thrice a year since then..Everyone told me to stop living with him because they're worried, but i don't want to go. He's the only one i have.."

11 years old Yeri is winning her first ballet competition, she received the trophy with both of her parents present on stage with her,13 years old Yeri is having her birthday celebrated with her school friend for the first time. Her greatest problem when she was a kid were just a few of her annoying friend who always pick a fight with her for having the same bag or pencil case, not running away from your own parents who doesn't even remember you as their kid.

"He doesn't recognized you..."

"If the incident happened, he only remember the 6 years old me as his son, his life is probably at its peak at that time. He doesn't know 10 or a 15 years old Jeon Jungkook, and of  course a 22 years old me is a complete stranger for him."
"I didn't know about that. He totally looks fine."

"That's because he was actually fine, just like what Dr. Lee said, it never happened again for the past 8 years, he has a will to be with me and becoming a great parents for me so he worked hard, really hard until he finally can escape, start a business, becoming successful, sending me to an elite school, pay for all my tuition and all my expenses in Seoul..giving me everything i want, until he find out about my mother is back recently..."

Even after hearing all of this, Yeri still doesn't want Jungkook to hates on his mother, at least before he knows why she did all of this. It’s probably not fair for him, but that's her wish.

"He'll be fine."

" If it's just me, i can totally forgive my mother, i want to see her again, asking her why she did this, but everytime i see my dad like this..just like what i told you before, I don’t think she deserves a second chance, even if she ask for it and coming back like right now, i don't want to give it to her...ever"

He is talking in a low and deep voice, and that means he's not sure about what he said, a little part of him still want her back. Yeri knows it. She doesn't want to fight him about that. At least not for now, when she barely learn anything about what he's going through.

 

***

Yeri is sitting in a couch, next to Jungkook's dad who's still under influence of some sedatives. Jungkook was here few minutes ago before he left for a consultation with Dr. lee. He also knows, he can't be here when his father wakes up so he told Yeri to stay with him instead.
The thing about taking care your sick parents is, it’ll never easy.

"Is he going to be ok?" She ask the nurse who come for checking his condition.

"He'll be fine."

She just give her a smile and back to watch Mr. Jeon when she left.


"Yeri?"

She feels surprised when he start calling her name as soon as he wakes up. She manage to nod her head and giving hima a light bow despite being nervous about what's going to happened right now.

"Are you feeling ok?"

She help him to sit on his bed when he’s struggling to wakes up. He actually looks ok, so much better compared to last night, and he recognized her, that's a total improvement.

"Yeah..i think so. where am i?"

"You're in the hospital." Yeri is answering him while being confused about how to answer his question if he asked regarding what happened.

"How is Jungkook?"

"He is.."

"I threw an RC car to him."

So he remembers everything. Jungkook told her earlier that sometimes his father will remember some of his recurrence and most of times he didn't.

"How could you.."

"Rather than remembering it, i feels like watching the other me last night, going crazy and hurting my son..it's like watching a movies, you were tied up and can not do anything about it."

He sounds so pitiful, really..it looks like he knows exactly his pain, Jungkook's pain, and how messed up their life is, but he's incapable on making things right.

"He is fine..he's wounded but he is fine overall.." Yeri talks really fast because right now she just so overwhelmed by the situation. Mr. Jeon is really having it hard.

"You must be surprised."

"I'll be lying if i said i wasn't."

"You must be thinking i'm such a funny guy, because i was demanding my son to bring people who close with him to meet me, when i'm actually a mess who can possibly takes people he cherished away from him.."

She completely understand what he means, Jungkook never bring friends or girlfriends to see his father, this is one of his reason probably, but she knows he’s doing it not because he's embarrassed or afraid people will hates his father, he's doing it to protect him.

"He never think about you like that. He's just selective. He's doing some test for me before he give me a pass to see you..you're precious for him."

He's smiling while listening to what Yeri said, this is true. After seeing how Jungkook is always so protective of his dad, she knows he care about him so much.

"It's probably better for me to let him go, right? to have his own life.."

"It's your choice if you want to let him go, but he'll never do the same for you. Just like how i see my dad, i'm sure Jungkook oppa see you as the strongest person on earth, a hero, a man who can do everything..he won't let you go."

"You love him, right?"

"Yeah, i think so."

"thank you."

"No, thank you for raising such a nice man for me to have."

Both of them ended up laughing together and Yeri feels better because of that, she learned a lot from her encounter with Jungkook and his family.

She helped him with his breakfast after a long talk, before he ask some times to take a nap, they talked a lot, not about the heavy thing like what happened last night, but about little nice thing like the time when he was young spending times together with her parents.

She came out after an hour and Jungkook is already there, waiting for her to came out. He doesn't come in to see his father, not even once.

"How is he?"

"Totally fine."

Yeri is linking her arms to Jungkook and ask him to walk together with her, the sun is already rising so taking a walk outside is possible for him, it's not dark.

"What are you talking about with him? i saw you..and thank you for making him laugh again."

"It's a secret. You don't usually tell me what kind of topic you talked about with my parents, so this one too is a secret."

Jungkook told her to stop when they finally reach an empty area, they’ve been talking for 15 minutes without talking to each other.

"Don't feel bad at me even though i have a sad life." He talks fast and Yeri understand his sentiment. Just like her dad, he also still has doubts about her.

"You don't have a sad life." He actually has, but  ..she needs to makes him feels better about that. She’s letting go of her hand from him and staring at him, from head to toes.

"You're handsome, your body is well built, you're doing good at your study, people likes you, and most importantly your girlfriend is pretty, so no, you don't have a sad life."

"I agree."

Jungkook take Yeri to his embrace as he said it, and she is patting his back in return, because it's probably the only thing he needs for now.

"Everything's gonna be ok."