Water at 99 degrees [Ch 6]

Dear Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next day, Sooyoung headed down to Sungjae’s house after breakfast, as it was a Saturday. Sooyoung rang the bell and waited. However, after multiple ringing, nobody answered the door. Sooyoung waited for a good 20 minutes before giving up.

 

Did Sungjae-oppa feel well enough to leave the house today? And is there nobody else in his house?

 

Sooyoung went home and tried again later that evening, to no avail.

 

Did oppa go somewhere with his family?

 

The next morning, Sooyoung went down to Sungjae’s house again and rang the doorbell but was again disappointed. Worry started to bubble inside Sooyoung.

 

What happened to oppa? Did he leave town or something?

 

Sooyoung tried one last time that evening and after ringing the doorbell for 15 minutes, a voice behind her suddenly piped up.

 

“Are you looking for someone, young lady?” asked the voice.

 

Sooyoung jumped and turned around. A lady with a kind face in her forties stood behind her.

 

“Annyeonghasaeyo. I’m looking for Sungjae-oppa,” replied Sooyoung. “Are you his mother?”

 

The lady’s eyes clouded up a little, as she replied, “Neh, I’m Mrs. Yook. Why are you looking for my Sungjae?”

 

“Oppa hasn't been in school these few days and there’s something I want to tell him. Changsub-oppa told me he hasn't been feeling well and was resting at home, so I thought I would come over and visit him,” said Sooyoung.

 

“Changsub was right. My Sungjae is not feeling well. Maybe you can come by another time,” replied Mrs. Yook.

 

“Is it because of his nosebleeds, eommoni?” asked Sooyoung.

 

Mrs. Yook looked taken aback at Sooyoung’s question and replied, “You know about Sungjae’s nosebleeds?”

 

“I know Sungjae-oppa has been having nosebleeds recently, and the most recent one that I saw seemed quite serious,” replied Sooyoung. “Is he sick because of that? And shouldn't he be resting at home if he’s sick?”

 

Tears welled up in Mrs. Yook’s eyes, as she broke down and said, “We thought he finally had it under control. But he’s had a relapse!”

 

Sooyoung rushed forward to put an arm around Mrs. Yook, as she asked, “What relapse are you talking about, eommoni? Isn’t it just a common nosebleed?”

 

Mrs. Yook motioned for her to enter the house. After the both of them were settled on the couch, Mrs. Yook started relating everything.

 

“My Sungjae has leukaemia. He was initially on the way to recovery, which was why I could send him back to school this year. But his platelet count has been dropping to dangerously low levels again recently, which is why Sungjae has been getting nosebleeds that have become increasingly severe,” said Mrs. Yook. “Last week, Sungjae collapsed on the way home with Changsub and Hyunsik. They called an ambulance and rushed him to the A&E immediately. He’s living in the hospital’s aseptic room now.”

 

Sooyoung felt like her heart had been ripped out of her chest and her hands suddenly felt cold and clammy.

 

How could this have happened? How could this have happened to Sungjae-oppa?

 

“Can I… can I see him?” asked Sooyoung hesitantly, her voice quavering.

 

“Of course you can. I’ll give you the details of his ward. But you’ll have to go alone. I’m too tired after all that crying and looking after Sungjae,” replied Mrs. Yook.

 

“Arassoyo, eommoni. You… you rest well. I’ll go check in on Sungjae-oppa,” said Sooyoung, as she attempted to smile.

 

 

Sooyoung walked slowly towards the room that Mrs. Yook had told her, not knowing what to expect. She saw a large room ahead with a big glass window and a telephone sitting on a ledge next to the window. As she reached the window, she saw Sungjae lying on the only bed in the room, reading a book. Sooyoung raised her hand gingerly and knocked softly on the window pane. Sungjae heard the knocking and looked up. A look of shock crossed Sungjae’s face as he jumped up and ran to the telephone sitting on the ledge next to the window in the room. Sooyoung picked up the handset of the phone on her side and held it to her ear.

 

“Why are you here, Sooyoung-ah? Did Changsub-hyung tell you?” asked Sungjae guiltily.

 

“Why didn't you tell me honestly, oppa?” asked Sooyoung in return. “Why did I have to find out this way?”

 

“Why are you talking like that, Sooyoung-ah? We’re just friends, right?” replied Sungjae with a slightly bitter smile. “So who told you about my condition?”

 

“Your mother did. Changsub-oppa told me you were resting at home because you weren’t feeling well these days, so I went over to visit you,” said Sooyoung. “I bumped into your mother at your doorstep and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter