Water at 99 degrees [Ch 7]

Dear Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next two weeks passed with hardly any news of Sungjae. Changsub and Hyunsik continued to visit Sungjae, though neither of them brought up the topic of Sooyoung. Sooyoung went about her daily routine and did her best to interact as she normally did with her friends and unnies. She smiled and chatted with them as she normally did, but Joohyun could see that Sooyoung was still hurting inside. When Sooyoung thought nobody was looking, her mask would slide off for an instant, which allowed Joohyun a glimpse of what Sooyoung was really feeling inside.

 

Joohyun finally couldn't take it and found an opportunity one day after school to walk home with Sooyoung. Not bothering to beat around the bush, Joohyun said, “You’re in pain, Sooyoung-ah. Why won’t you confide in us or share your pain with us?”

 

Sooyoung was taken aback at Joohyun’s direct words and replied, “What are you talking about, unnie?”

 

“Stop trying to pretend in front of me, Park Sooyoung! You’re obviously feeling hurt about that Yook Sungjae! Sometimes I don't even get it! You didn't even spend that much time with him. Heck, you two weren’t even a couple! Why have you allowed yourself to turn into this state over that boy? Are you that guilty about rejecting him?” ranted Joohyun.

 

Sooyoung looked deep into Joohyun’s eyes for a while, before replying, “Neh, unnie. I’m guilty. I can’t deny that part of my pain now is purely out of guilt for rejecting him. But I’ve also been reflecting on my relationship with Dohwan-oppa and the small amount of time spent with Sungjae-oppa. I thought about how I felt when I dated Dohwan-oppa right at the start of our relationship, and how I felt when Sungjae-oppa spent time comforting me. I initially thought it was just mere friendship that I felt for Sungjae-oppa, because any friend could have lent me a shoulder to cry on. But when I think about some of the other things that he did for me and the sincerity that he did them with, it was something that I realised I never felt from Dohwan-oppa. Seulgi-unnie was right. I am bitter about how easily Dohwan-oppa brushed aside our relationship. But I also see now why he could do so that easily. It was because our relationship was never two-sided. I was a trophy to him, unnie. An accessory that showed the world that he was such an asset. Yes, Dohwan-oppa showered me with attention too, but I eventually realised that it was to feed his own ego, not out of concern or love for me.”

 

Joohyun was rendered speechless by Sooyoung’s long reply. But Sooyoung was not finished.

 

“The time I spent with Sungjae-oppa was short. So much shorter than the time I spent with Dohwan-oppa. Yet the sincerity that I felt from Sungjae-oppa was something that I had never experienced from Dohwan-oppa, both in quality and quantity. You’re right, we were never a couple. But Sungjae-oppa made me feel loved much more than my ex-boyfriend ever did. Sungjae-oppa was often awkward with me, but he was awkward because he was afraid that I would feel uncomfortable around him and that he wasn't sure whether what he said would hurt me or not. Dohwan-oppa never seemed to consider that. To him, he just assumed that I would agree and accept everything he said. Looking back, as Seulgi-unnie said, I rejected Sungjae-oppa because I was clinging on to something that was never mine. And now that I think about it, I’m glad that it wasn’t mine. I’m just regretting the fact that when I finally realised my feelings for Sungjae-oppa, he thought that I accepted him because I felt sorry for him. But I really don't!”

 

Sooyoung’s voice cracked at her last sentence and tears spilled out of her eyes. Joohyun put a comforting arm around Sooyoung and patted her back. However, Sooyoung pulled out her handkerchief and dabbed her eyes fiercely.

 

“I’m heading home, unnie. See you tomorrow,” said Sooyoung, forcing her voice to sound steady.

 

Joohyun knew it would be futile to ask to walk home with Sooyoung, so she nodded. After she watched Sooyoung walk down the street, Joohyun turned and walked back home alone.

 

Looks like uri Sooyoung-ie is growing up.

 

 

The following Monday, Changsub and Hyunsik headed to school together, discussing the music project that was due in a week’s time. However, as they reached the school gate, they came to a halt and their jaws dropped.

 

“Are you seeing what I’m seeing, Hyunsik?” asked Changsub incredulously.

 

“Neh, hyung,” replied Hyunsik.

 

“HYUNG-DEUL!!! What are you guys standing over there for?” shouted Sungjae, as he waved excitedly in his school uniform.

 

Changsub and Hyunsik shook themselves out of their shock and ran forward.

 

“Sungjae-ah! What are you doing here?” asked Changsub.

 

“I’m attending school, of course!” replied Sungjae. “What kind of question is that?”

 

“But weren’t you…” began Hyunsik.

 

“Ah, I forgot to mention. My doctor said my platelet count managed to rise to close to a normal level. After a few checks, he said I could be discharged for a while. I need to go back for regular checkups to monitor my platelet count though,” replied Sungjae with a bright smile.

 

“That’s great, Sungjae-ah!” replied Changsub with a huge grin, as he flung his arms around Sungjae and gave him a bear hug.

 

“So, shall we go to the arcade this afternoon to celebrate?” suggested Hyunsik.

 

“Of course!” said Sungjae. “I also want to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter