Fire and Ice

Dear Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The five fire and seven ice spirits of heaven were created to watch over the lands and its seasons. The ice spirits were borne out of the snowstorm created by the heavens to whiten the mountain tops that stood out over the land. The fire spirits were borne out of the lava that the mountains spat out when the earth first raged. The fire and ice spirits were tasked to watch over the lands and its seasons. When fire and ice played together and co-existed harmoniously, spring smiled upon the land. Eventually, ice would go for a nap, leaving fire to exert her power over the land. When ice came back, fire would feel lethargic and glow red. When fire eventually went for her nap, ice reigned over the land and the cycle would start again after fire woke up.

 

However, there was a fire spirit, Sooyoung, and an ice spirit, Sungjae, who were constantly squabbling. The lands of which they watched over had springs that were windy and rainy, for Sungjae would frequently tease Sooyoung with a snowstorm that challenged her heat, which inevitably became rain that fell over the plains under their charge. In summer, Sooyoung would plot all sorts of revenge on Sungjae and throw down heat waves upon the poor parched lands below her. When Sungjae returned from his nap, the temperature would cool down because, although Sooyoung always plotted against Sungjae in her alone time, she could never bear to use whatever she planned on Sungjae. When she retired for her nap, Sungjae’s playful nature would emerge and cause snow and hail to lay a white blanket upon the lands a few feet high.

 

The heavenly deities finally grew tired of their squabbling and decided that it was time to send Sooyoung down to earth to live as a mortal. The more playful Sungjae was to be kept in heaven to continue his duty, so that in doing so, both would be separated for a while so that they could not squabble anymore and be up to less mischief. Despite their frantic protests, Sooyoung was told that she would be cast down to live as a mortal by the end of the week.

 

Near the end of the week, Sungjae met Sooyoung near the cave which he frequently took his naps.

 

“Oppa, will you be lonely maintaining the seasons alone?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“I won’t be alone, pabo-ya,” replied Sungjae. “I’m sure one of your sisters will be tasked to help me with the job.”

 

“You’ll probably make fun of her too, just like you always make fun of me,” teased Sooyoung.

 

“Anniya, your sisters are scary, especially your Joohyun-unnie,” replied Sungjae with a slight shiver.

 

“Oppa, will a lifetime be very long?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“It won’t be for me. After all, one year on earth is just one day in heaven, isn’t it?” replied Sungjae. “You’ll be back to annoy me again before I know it.”

 

“Humph, so you won’t be missing me at all?” pouted Sooyoung.

 

“Of course not! It’ll be nice not to have someone cause all that rain when I’m trying to provide nice, cool weather for the people,” said Sungjae.

 

Sooyoung stuck her tongue out at Sungjae and walked off in a huff. But before, she could move five steps, Sungjae pulled her back and said, “I’m joking, pabo-yah. Take care while you’re there.”

 

Sooyoung smiled at him and said, “Arasso, oppa. See you soon.”

 

 

Sooyoung stood in front of the gateway to the land of the mortals, accompanied by her four sisters.

 

“Once you step through this gateway, you will lose all your powers and memories, Sooyoung-ah,” said Joohyun. “You will be reborn as a baby and grow up as a normal young woman until you eventually grow old and die. That is when you will be reunited with us again.”

 

“Arasso, unnie,” said Sooyoung, her eyes glimmering slightly with tears. “See you all in a while.”

 

Just as Sooyoung turned to leave, a voice behind them stopped her.

 

“Sooyoung-ah!” called Sungjae.

 

Joohyun saw him and a streak of anger crossed her face. “What are you doing here? It’s because of you that Sooyoung has to spend a lifetime in the mortal world!”

 

Sooyoung reached out a hand to placate Joohyun, as she looked at Sungjae. “Wae, oppa? Didn't we say goodbye the other day?”

 

“I wanted you to have this,” said Sungjae, as he reached out his hand to hold Sooyoung’s wrist. His hand glowed white for a while and when he let go, Sooyoung saw a small snowflake symbol on the back of her right little finger. “I know you will lose all powers, Sooyoung-ah. But think of this as an amulet that will guard you when you’re in the mortal world. Live well, Sooyoung-ah.”

 

Sooyoung smiled and nodded. “Gomawo, oppa.”

 

With a last look at all of them, Sooyoung turned and walked through the gateway.

 

 

Three weeks later, Sungjae stood over his land and peered down to look at Sooyoung, after he woke up from his nap. To his surprise, Sooyoung had her arm linked through a young man’s arm, as they walked down the street. As Seulgi, the fire spirit assigned to relieve Sooyoung while she was gone, had gone for her nap a little earlier that day, Sungjae could watch Sooyoung all he wanted.

 

“Hyunwoo-oppa, do you think this looks nice on me?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“Anything looks nice on you, Sooyoung-ah,” replied Hyunwoo with a smile, as he reached out to pinch her cheek.

 

That night, as Hyunwoo sent Sooyoung home, a huge snowstorm brewed and a cruel, cold wind tore through the streets, as Hyunwoo tried his best to protect Sooyoung from the wind.

 

“It didn’t seem like it would be so cold tonight, Sooyoung-ah,” commented Hyunwoo. “I wonder what brought on the sudden snowstorm. Kwenchana?”

 

“Kwenchana, oppa. You better hurry home before it gets too cold to go home,” replied Sooyoung. “Good night, oppa!”

 

Sooyoung leant forward and pecked Hyunwoo quickly on the lips, before giggling in shyness and walking into

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter